PS7 - nVidia - dual monitors: invisible dialogs

Howdy

I'm running an nVidia GeForce 4 MX-440 video
card with dual monitor output. The OS is XP Home SP-2.
The nVidia drivers are version 61.77.

The problem: Photoshop 7 dialogs are invisible.

Doesn't happen with Photoshop 6.

Anyone seen this before ? Any fixes ?

Thanks for any info.

-- stan

If by dialogues you mean the bottom status bar, you can goto "windows" menu
and choose "status" in ps7. Or if you mean the little helper windows, press
tab.

Better yet, take me a screenie.

"Stanley Krute" <Stan@StanKrute.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:w6Jad.229$Z9.153@fe25.usenetserver.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Howdy
>
> I'm running an nVidia GeForce 4 MX-440 video
> card with dual monitor output. The OS is XP Home SP-2.
> The nVidia drivers are version 61.77.
>
> The problem: Photoshop 7 dialogs are invisible.
>
> Doesn't happen with Photoshop 6.
>
> Anyone seen this before ? Any fixes ?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> -- stan

Hi Bronney

> If by dialogues you mean the bottom status bar, you can goto "windows" menu
> and choose "status" in ps7. Or if you mean the little helper windows, press
> tab.

By dialogs, I mean windows that open in response to commands.

For example: if I go to open up a file that's not in the correct color
space, a dialog should appear. It doesn't. All the PS menus are
grayed out, and it beeps, while waiting for me to respond to the
invisible dialog.

Stan

"Stanley Krute" <Stan@StanKrute.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bronney
>
>> If by dialogues you mean the bottom status bar, you can goto "windows"
>> menu
>> and choose "status" in ps7. Or if you mean the little helper windows,
>> press
>> tab.
>
> By dialogs, I mean windows that open in response to commands.
>
> For example: if I go to open up a file that's not in the correct color
> space, a dialog should appear. It doesn't. All the PS menus are
> grayed out, and it beeps, while waiting for me to respond to the
> invisible dialog.
>
> Stan

Can you try this -
Goto Display Properties > Setting > Geforce > Desktop Management > enable
nView Desktop Manager > Windows -
Find "Dialog boxes on:"
Select either option:
Move to application display
Move to cursor display
Move to display 1
Move to display 2
or check the box "Center box on display".

See if they will set your dialog box message to what you want.

Or
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76/ForceWare_Release_60_nView_3.5_Users_Guide.pdf
See page 96 on PDF or actual document page 83 regarding dialog
repositioning.

CapFusion,...

Hi Cap

> Can you try this -
> Goto Display Properties > Setting > Geforce > Desktop Management > enable nView Desktop Manager > Windows -
> Find "Dialog boxes on:"
> Select either option:
> Move to application display
> Move to cursor display
> Move to display 1
> Move to display 2
> or check the box "Center box on display".
>
> See if they will set your dialog box message to what you want.

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately the dialogs are
still lost in somewhere-else space.

This definitely has the feel of a Photoshop/nVidia interaction bug.

Funny that it doesn't happen with PS6.

> http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76/ForceWare_Release_60_nView_3.5_Users_Guide.pdf
> See page 96 on PDF or actual document page 83 regarding dialog repositioning.

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, nothing in the settings seems to help.

Whelp, at some point I'll upgrade to PS CS (aka PS 8), and maybe it
won't happen there. Til then, it's back to PS 6 I guess, unless I want to

> Hi Cap
>
>> Can you try this -
>> Goto Display Properties > Setting > Geforce > Desktop Management > enable
>> nView Desktop Manager > Windows -
>> Find "Dialog boxes on:"
>> Select either option:
>> Move to application display
>> Move to cursor display
>> Move to display 1
>> Move to display 2
>> or check the box "Center box on display".
>>
>> See if they will set your dialog box message to what you want.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately the dialogs are
> still lost in somewhere-else space.
>
> This definitely has the feel of a Photoshop/nVidia interaction bug.
>
> Funny that it doesn't happen with PS6.
>
>> http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76/ForceWare_Release_60_nView_3.5_Users_Guide.pdf
>> See page 96 on PDF or actual document page 83 regarding dialog
>> repositioning.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, nothing in the settings seems to
> help.
>
> Whelp, at some point I'll upgrade to PS CS (aka PS 8), and maybe it
> won't happen there. Til then, it's back to PS 6 I guess, unless I want to
>
> -- stan

Sorry you did not find the answer or fix. Please feedback on your next step
of how it work out regarding PS8 etc....

CapFusion,...

Aha !!!

Got the answer over on the photoshop newsgroup:

I needed to nuke the Photoshop prefs file.

I'd thought that uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop would do that,
but it didn't.

All is now well.

My nVidia card and drivers are just an innocent bystander.

Thanks to all who offered help.

Stan

Thank you for your feedback.

CapFusion,...

> Aha !!!
>
> Got the answer over on the photoshop newsgroup:
>
> I needed to nuke the Photoshop prefs file.
>
> I'd thought that uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop would do that,
> but it didn't.
>
> All is now well.
>
> My nVidia card and drivers are just an innocent bystander.
>
> Thanks to all who offered help.
>
> Stan

I am sorry Stanley, do I have to have nview enabled in order to know what a
"dialog box" is?

"Stanley Krute" <Stan@StanKrute.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:k5fbd.286$Z9.227@fe25.usenetserver.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Hi Cap
>
> > Can you try this -
> > Goto Display Properties > Setting > Geforce > Desktop Management >
enable nView Desktop Manager > Windows -
> > Find "Dialog boxes on:"
> > Select either option:
> > Move to application display
> > Move to cursor display
> > Move to display 1
> > Move to display 2
> > or check the box "Center box on display".
> >
> > See if they will set your dialog box message to what you want.

"Bronney Hui" wrote

>I am sorry Stanley, do I have to have nview enabled in order to know what a
> "dialog box" is?

I'm afraid I don't understand this question.

Stan

You will need to enable nView Desktop Manager in Desktop Management to have
Windows / Application / Profile etc.
If you have not go through with nView Desktop Manager Wizard, you can click
on Setup Wizard to process your setting.
If you have nView driver version like 4x.xx series, you option may locate
differently. If so, try updating to the 6x.xx version or simply update to
the latest from nView site -
Graphic Driver > GeForce and TNT2 > pick your OS.

CapFusion,...

> "Bronney Hui" wrote
>
>>I am sorry Stanley, do I have to have nview enabled in order to know what
>> "dialog box" is?
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand this question.
>
> Stan

I think Bronney is referring to me with that question.

CapFusion,...

> I think Bronney is referring to me with that question.
>
> CapFusion,...

Cap I was actually asking Stanley what a dialog box is. Whether it's within
the nvidia interface or is it within ps7's. Just wanna know more that's all
:)

Thanks for your post btw.

>> I think Bronney is referring to me with that question.
>>
>> CapFusion,...
>>

> Cap I was actually asking Stanley what a dialog box is. Whether it's
> within
> the nvidia interface or is it within ps7's. Just wanna know more that's
> all
> :)
>
> Thanks for your post btw.

Whoops,.... My bad.