GF5200 4-bit colour with nvidia drivers??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
October 12, 2004 10:57:55 AM

I bought an A7n8x-e deluxe mobo with XP2600+, 2*256 pc3200 ram and GF5200
video card. I've installed all of the drivers from the cd and updated the
bios to the latest version 1012. Everything works well until I install the
video drivers, tried version 41.13, 61.77 and whatever version comes with
the install cd. As soon as I reboot, xp goes into 4 bit color (VERY UGLY).
Uninstalling the drivers gives me 16/32 bit unaccelerated colour. Pretty,
slow. Good for now.

update.
After upgrading to sp2 windows installs its own drivers for the card every
reboot so now I've had to disable it in device manager in order to keep 16
or 32 bit colour. It looks great but there's no hardware acceleration at
all.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
October 12, 2004 5:18:12 PM

Huge Bear wrote:
> I bought an A7n8x-e deluxe mobo with XP2600+, 2*256 pc3200 ram and GF5200
> video card. I've installed all of the drivers from the cd and updated the
> bios to the latest version 1012. Everything works well until I install the
> video drivers, tried version 41.13, 61.77 and whatever version comes with
> the install cd. As soon as I reboot, xp goes into 4 bit color (VERY UGLY).
> Uninstalling the drivers gives me 16/32 bit unaccelerated colour. Pretty,
> slow. Good for now.
>
> update.
> After upgrading to sp2 windows installs its own drivers for the card every
> reboot so now I've had to disable it in device manager in order to keep 16
> or 32 bit colour. It looks great but there's no hardware acceleration at
> all.
>
> Any suggestions will be welcome.

I had this problem one time when I reinstalled clean. It was a
combination of incorrect file versions and the built in WHQL Windows driver.

First, make certain you're not upgrading from a version 4x.xx driver to
5x.xx or 6x.xx Forcware. There was a known issue with going from 44.03
to 52.16 for example where incorrect versions would get left and mixed
with the new driver.

So start clean, from the built in driver if possible or use a driver
cleaner and uninstall your video device completely. Then make sure you
use the NVIDIA installer instead of doing it by hand with the .inf.
This make sure the correct files are copied to your system directory and
Windows doesn't try reinstalling the device over and over.

Lastly, I've always done a clean install in this order:

Windows SP1/2 -> Chipset drivers (i.e. NForce Unified Drivers, etc) ->
DX9x -> Forceware driver (66.81 for example).

I don't recommend using an old cd with drivers from the manufacturer
because often they are very old and may be custom versions of earlier sets.
!