Calling Falkentyne

Hello my friend,

I've just gone from a GeForce2 GTS to a 6800 GT. The problem is that my DOS
mode games all now run at the DOS default of 60Hz (or sometimes 70Hz)
despite my best efforts with UniRefresh and even VBEHz. The 6800 certainly
seems to support all VESA and VGA modes properly. It's just that, unlike
the GeForce2, it won't let refresh rate TSRs do their funky business.

Have you encountered or heard of similar problems?

Any idea how to contact Rob Muller (the author of UniRefresh) who I always
found to be very knowledgable and helpful?

Yours with that old 60Hz squint,

procerus

procerus wrote:
> Hello my friend,
>
> I've just gone from a GeForce2 GTS to a 6800 GT. The problem is that my DOS
> mode games all now run at the DOS default of 60Hz (or sometimes 70Hz)
> despite my best efforts with UniRefresh and even VBEHz. The 6800 certainly
> seems to support all VESA and VGA modes properly. It's just that, unlike
> the GeForce2, it won't let refresh rate TSRs do their funky business.
>
> Have you encountered or heard of similar problems?
>
> Any idea how to contact Rob Muller (the author of UniRefresh) who I always
> found to be very knowledgable and helpful?
>
> Yours with that old 60Hz squint,
>
> procerus

XP normally has problems with VESA modes as it limits software access to
low level hardware devices (like direct framebuffer writes and such).
Check out DOSBox to emulate any old game in Windows near perfectly if
you can run it in real mode.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

It has a few patches added that allow for some VESA access.

"procerus" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello my friend,
>
> I've just gone from a GeForce2 GTS to a 6800 GT. The problem is that my
> DOS
> mode games all now run at the DOS default of 60Hz (or sometimes 70Hz)
> despite my best efforts with UniRefresh and even VBEHz. The 6800
> certainly
> seems to support all VESA and VGA modes properly. It's just that, unlike
> the GeForce2, it won't let refresh rate TSRs do their funky business.
>
> Have you encountered or heard of similar problems?
>
> Any idea how to contact Rob Muller (the author of UniRefresh) who I always
> found to be very knowledgable and helpful?
>
> Yours with that old 60Hz squint,
>
> procerus

Hi procerus!

I hope you are well and still using a voodoo2 somewhere!!!

Take care fella...
Eddy

> I hope you are well and still using a voodoo2 somewhere!!!

Hiya Eddy,

Still got Voodoo2 SLI alongside the 6800GT. Works perfectly for all those
Windows and DOS glide classics.

Don't get too wet out on that bike, eh?

procerus

> Hiya Eddy,
>
> Still got Voodoo2 SLI alongside the 6800GT. Works perfectly for all those
> Windows and DOS glide classics.
>
> Don't get too wet out on that bike, eh?
>
> procerus

Haha, great to hear it! I've still got my pair in a w98 box for the oldies
but goldies!
I've moved to Scotland now so can't avoid the rain... but the roads
are the greatest, not to mention the whisky!
Take care old friend and I'll catch you soon with luck.
Best regards
Eddy