Upgrading an old PC to Win 98 SE

G

I have an older PC. 200 MHz Pentium, 32mb of EDO, 2 gig HD, 24x CD-ROM, and integrated graphics and sound. It is running the first releace of Windows 95. I want to upgrade it to Windows 98 SE. How should I go about doing this? I don't have the disk for my CD-ROM drivers. Will this be a problem?

I am going to install Win 98 SE, and MS Office Premium. I have these both on CD. About how much space will I have left on the hard drive? I hope I have enough.

G

Hi,
Shouldn't be a problem, your machine meets spec for win98SE. First off, you need to know how to format your Hard disk. Secondly, you should start with a win98SE boot disk. Third, make sure you have all the drivers for your current hardware, ie: soundcard, videocard, modem, etc...This will get you started but if you are new to formatting and installing an operating system, I'd suggest asking a friend that knows how or pick up a windows tips book at the local book store. Hope this helps. :)

G

I don't have any of the drivers. I guess I am basicly screwed huh?

G

maybe not. You could be lucky enough that Windows 98SE recongnize all the hardware. But before you do that, you could try to look at what you have for hardware and try to find the latest drivers on the Internet or if they will work under win98Se. You see, i still install Win95B on some computer at work and these are most of the time made by Compaq, Dell, ...(pre-build) and Windows install most of the needed driver. After that it just a matter of finding the latest one if needed.

good luck

Quake110

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It doesn't matter if you don't have your cd-rom's driver, because windows 98 will work on virtually with all Cd-Roms drive.

Visit my site at www.coolgames4u.com

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows 98SE should have all the drivers for your hardware. But if your really worried about it, then I would get on the internet and get them.

I had a Toshiba 7260 desktop PC (200MHz) on Win 95, and upgraded it with no problems at all to Win98FE. All I did was simply format the HD and use the WIN98 boot disk to get to Setup. If I remember correctly, all you need to do is to select: "Boot with CD-ROM support"...and I guess it uses some generic CD-ROM drivers so that you can install WIN98. Sorry if this seems a bit vague, but it's been awhile since I did this...

Good Luck!

Zyphoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check with your system manufacturer on the net if possible. I have set up a few systems with the specs you gave and the problems I have seen were mainly with modems .Also dont try a clean install first try installing it over windows 95 if things go wrong you can choose to go back to windows 95 . That is if you have enough hard drive space.

If the fat lady's singing at least shes losing weight.

G

If possible, I would also try to add some more RAM to that box atleast 64MB. That machine is really going to crawl with only 32MB in there. At my current workplace I put together a spare 200mhz machine and it has 128MB of EDO RAM seemed to run very nicely with WIN98 SE in it.

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
win98se & office =='s RAM RAM and more RAM
go for minimum 64 meg at least!!!
good luck
drivers, well 98se should have them all for you