Windows 8 + Nvidia

bernardblack

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Windows 8 + Nvidia

So, my wife is running an Nvidia GTS 450, we used the latest drivers from the Nvidia website, to date and we end up with doubled-over/ blurry text at the tile screen, with frequent blacking of the display if we open certain programs, like Mahjong, or whatever that game is she plays. Her cursor also hitches, and begins to lag behind and VLC (or anything that uses accelerated video), hitches/ pops/ stutters every 2-4 seconds. We can play movies in Windows Media Player but they look pixelated and fuzzy. If we uninstall those drivers, and roll with the WHQL drivers found in Windows Update, the blurry tile screen text goes away and so do the black screen issues, however, we still have the stuttering problem in VLC and Media Player classic (for playing videos outside of AVI and MPEG support). It doesn't matter what file type/ file we play, it does it either way.

Her Hardware:

Phenom II 3.5ghz B50 Quad Core
8GB Ram
1.5GB GTS 450
600W PSU.

I have an identical graphics card like hers elsewhere, I can try that to make sure it's not the card itself.

bernardblack

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hmm, you know, I have not, I was wondering if the CPu was an issue too. I had it overclock originally, but clocking it back down to 3.2ghz from 3.5ghz did nothing, the issue was still there. Did not try locking the CPU again. I got rid of the video hitching by uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling for the billionth time and the mouse lag too. It is such a strange issue. When it all started, I was using the Nvidia drivers from the site 306.7, I think. The font on the tiles were blurry, but if you let the tiles sit for awhile without opening anything, they were clear up. When she would go to open her Mahjong game, the screen would flicker black randomly and the mouse would lag in all areas of Windows. When we would play any filetype via VLC, or any other software other than WMP, it would hitch/ freeze. So, I uninstalled, ran a driver sweeper/ cleaner, and went with the drivers on Windows update. This got rid of the hitching and video playback, but tiles would still go blurry and we would still get mouse lag. I uninstalled those and went with the integrated Radeon HD4200, all was perfect, except, when she played Mahjong, there would be missing graphic/ tile pieces in the game, plus she couldn't utilize dual display with the integrated solution, so, I went back to the Nvidia and decided, f*** it, we'll deal with blurry tiles for now, and voila! No more issues...as of yet.

mrE_Nigma

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

thanks that helped me out big time, no more black screen much appreciated.....