Which (free) firewall runs as service

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP?
In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the pc
but BEFORE logging into XP?

I tried Zonelalarm Pro 6.0, it runs as a service but because of an appearing
bug it's no solution for me. Perhaps Sygate?

Thanks in advance!

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:39:22 +0200, "Wim" <me@you.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP?
>In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the pc
>but BEFORE logging into XP?
>
>I tried Zonelalarm Pro 6.0, it runs as a service but because of an appearing
>bug it's no solution for me. Perhaps Sygate?
>
>Thanks in advance!

The firewall built into XP.

"Wim" <me@you.com> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP?
> In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the
> pc but BEFORE logging into XP?
>
> I tried Zonelalarm Pro 6.0, it runs as a service but because of an
> appearing bug it's no solution for me. Perhaps Sygate?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I would think any personal FW that runs on the NT based O/S such as XP will
be running as a service with the exe being ran as the graphical User
interface.

Duane :)

Wim <me@you.com> wrote:
> Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP?
> In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the pc
> but BEFORE logging into XP?

I think, the Windows-Firewall.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> schreef in bericht
> Wim <me@you.com> wrote:
> > Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP?
> > In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the
pc
> > but BEFORE logging into XP?
>
> I think, the Windows-Firewall.

Is it possible in the XP firewall to set the ip addresses 10.0.0.0 -
10.0.0.255 as "trusted" and block all other ip addresses?

> Is it possible in the XP firewall to set the ip addresses 10.0.0.0 -
> 10.0.0.255 as "trusted" and block all other ip addresses?

You can supplement the XP FW with IPsec that can stop inbound or outbound
traffic by port, protocol or IP.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

You can implement the AnalogX Secpol rules and then learn from those rules.
Ipsec using the AnalogX Secpol rules are blocking high ports on downloads.
So you either disable Ipsec for the download or you learn to write the
rules to open the required ports, which you can view what ports are being
used with something like Active Ports (free).

Ipsec is very proerful.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813878

Duane :)

Yes, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843090

In article <4327d3d9$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, me@you.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP?
> In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the pc
> but BEFORE logging into XP?
>
> I tried Zonelalarm Pro 6.0, it runs as a service but because of an appearing
> bug it's no solution for me. Perhaps Sygate?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Yes, Sygate Pro v5.5 b 2710 has a selectable feature "Block All Traffic
While the Service is Not Loaded. I suppose Free Sygate v5.6 (still
available) has that feature too.
Casey