Upgrade advice

I've currently got an Asus GF4 Ti4400 gfx card in my machine, which pretty
much does what I need it to, but is starting to look a little juddery on
things like the Sims 2.

Coupled with the fact that I cannot run 3DMark05, I have been wondering
whether something like a GF5 FX5500 256MB would be any better,
performance-wise, than my current gfx card.

I know that Futuremark used to have a big database of different
accelerator's benchmarks, but I cannot seem to find it on their site now, so
any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

--

JW

Spell Yahoo correctly to reply!
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade advice

    "John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> wrote in message

    " ...I have been wondering whether something like a GF5 FX5500 256MB would
    be any better, performance-wise, than my current gfx card. "

    You'll see from the following review that the FX5500 256MB gets
    absolutely-whipped by the FX5600 Ultra. http://snipurl.com/9qi7

    Tracking back in time a little, this article shows the Ti4400 holding-up to
    the FX5600 Ultra. http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/

    Of the cards available today, you'll find the Radeon 9600, FX5600 and FX5700
    series barely offer much over the Ti4400, except for DX9 compatibility. The
    FX5900XT offers some advancement (especially the Gainward), but for a little
    extra you can get the much better FX5900 or 9800 Pro instead.

    Perhaps it's best to wait for the AGP 6600GT to arrive in November. This
    (c. £199) card is twice the speed of the FX5900, which should hopefully
    shift down in price a little. Check sites like http://www.dealtime.co.uk
    and http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ for the best price comparisons.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html

    "John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> schreef in bericht

    "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
    > "John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Perhaps it's best to wait for the AGP 6600GT to arrive in November. This
    > (c. £199) card is twice the speed of the FX5900, which should hopefully
    > shift down in price a little. Check sites like http://www.dealtime.co.uk
    > and http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ for the best price comparisons.

    Thanks for the advice ... I'll keep my eyes peeled.

    JW

    "Feesje" <nospam.mecmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html

    Thanks. I'll take a look.