Upgrade advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2004 5:09:52 PM

I've currently got an Asus GF4 Ti4400 gfx card in my machine, which pretty
much does what I need it to, but is starting to look a little juddery on
things like the Sims 2.

Coupled with the fact that I cannot run 3DMark05, I have been wondering
whether something like a GF5 FX5500 256MB would be any better,
performance-wise, than my current gfx card.

I know that Futuremark used to have a big database of different
accelerator's benchmarks, but I cannot seem to find it on their site now, so
any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

--

JW

Spell Yahoo correctly to reply!

More about : upgrade advice

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 6:20:36 PM

"John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> wrote in message

" ...I have been wondering whether something like a GF5 FX5500 256MB would
be any better, performance-wise, than my current gfx card. "

You'll see from the following review that the FX5500 256MB gets
absolutely-whipped by the FX5600 Ultra. http://snipurl.com/9qi7

Tracking back in time a little, this article shows the Ti4400 holding-up to
the FX5600 Ultra. http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/

Of the cards available today, you'll find the Radeon 9600, FX5600 and FX5700
series barely offer much over the Ti4400, except for DX9 compatibility. The
FX5900XT offers some advancement (especially the Gainward), but for a little
extra you can get the much better FX5900 or 9800 Pro instead.

Perhaps it's best to wait for the AGP 6600GT to arrive in November. This
(c. £199) card is twice the speed of the FX5900, which should hopefully
shift down in price a little. Check sites like http://www.dealtime.co.uk
and http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ for the best price comparisons.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 6:57:36 PM

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

"John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> I've currently got an Asus GF4 Ti4400 gfx card in my machine, which pretty
> much does what I need it to, but is starting to look a little juddery on
> things like the Sims 2.
>
> Coupled with the fact that I cannot run 3DMark05, I have been wondering
> whether something like a GF5 FX5500 256MB would be any better,
> performance-wise, than my current gfx card.
>
> I know that Futuremark used to have a big database of different
> accelerator's benchmarks, but I cannot seem to find it on their site now,
so
> any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> JW
>
> Spell Yahoo correctly to reply!

October 14, 2004 3:31:23 AM

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> wrote in message

> Perhaps it's best to wait for the AGP 6600GT to arrive in November. This
> (c. £199) card is twice the speed of the FX5900, which should hopefully
> shift down in price a little. Check sites like http://www.dealtime.co.uk
> and http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ for the best price comparisons.

Thanks for the advice ... I'll keep my eyes peeled.

JW
!