c++ application errors in games

I am getting c++ application errors when I attempt to play games
(doom3, neverwinter nights, battlefront) on a new system with a PNY
Nvidia FX 5900 card. I think it is either directx9c related or driver
related or both. It is a brand new install on a Windows XP Pro
system. Anyone have anything similar? And if so, how did you solve
it?

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:50:12 -0700, Jason Gallas
<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:

>I am getting c++ application errors when I attempt to play games
>(doom3, neverwinter nights, battlefront) on a new system with a PNY
>Nvidia FX 5900 card. I think it is either directx9c related or driver
>related or both. It is a brand new install on a Windows XP Pro
>system. Anyone have anything similar? And if so, how did you solve
>it?

the base/scripts directory contains c++ like files. If you've modded
the game, I'd look there first.

:
:>I am getting c++ application errors when I attempt to play games
:>(doom3, neverwinter nights, battlefront) on a new system with a PNY
:>Nvidia FX 5900 card. I think it is either directx9c related or driver
:>related or both. It is a brand new install on a Windows XP Pro
:>system. Anyone have anything similar? And if so, how did you solve
:>it?
:
: the base/scripts directory contains c++ like files. If you've modded
:the game, I'd look there first.

I have not modified anything in any of the games. I thought it was a
problem with the install so I re-installed windows (got a new HD
anyway so par for the course). But after the re-install it still
occurred.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:48:32 -0700, Jason Gallas
<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:27:52 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
>
>:On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:50:12 -0700, Jason Gallas
>:<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
>:
>:>I am getting c++ application errors when I attempt to play games
>:>(doom3, neverwinter nights, battlefront) on a new system with a PNY
>:>Nvidia FX 5900 card. I think it is either directx9c related or driver
>:>related or both. It is a brand new install on a Windows XP Pro
>:>system. Anyone have anything similar? And if so, how did you solve
>:>it?
>:
>: the base/scripts directory contains c++ like files. If you've modded
>:the game, I'd look there first.
>
>I have not modified anything in any of the games. I thought it was a
>problem with the install so I re-installed windows (got a new HD
>anyway so par for the course). But after the re-install it still
>occurred.
What is the exact text of the error messgage(s)?

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:55:43 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:

:On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:48:32 -0700, Jason Gallas
:<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
:
:>
:>:
:>: the base/scripts directory contains c++ like files. If you've modded
:>:the game, I'd look there first.
:>
:>I have not modified anything in any of the games. I thought it was a
:>problem with the install so I re-installed windows (got a new HD
:>anyway so par for the course). But after the re-install it still
:>occurred.
:What is the exact text of the error messgage(s)?

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
Program....c:\neverwinter nights\nwn.exe
Abnormal program termination

This error occurs on every game that I have tried playing.
Neverwinter nights, doom3 and battlefront.

"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:55:43 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
>
> :On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:48:32 -0700, Jason Gallas
> :<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
> :
> :>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:27:52 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
> :>
> :>:On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:50:12 -0700, Jason Gallas
> :>:<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
> :>:
> :>:>I am getting c++ application errors when I attempt to play games
> :>:>(doom3, neverwinter nights, battlefront) on a new system with a PNY
> :>:>Nvidia FX 5900 card. I think it is either directx9c related or driver
> :>:>related or both. It is a brand new install on a Windows XP Pro
> :>:>system. Anyone have anything similar? And if so, how did you solve
> :>:>it?
> :>:
> :>: the base/scripts directory contains c++ like files. If you've modded
> :>:the game, I'd look there first.
> :>
> :>I have not modified anything in any of the games. I thought it was a
> :>problem with the install so I re-installed windows (got a new HD
> :>anyway so par for the course). But after the re-install it still
> :>occurred.
> :What is the exact text of the error messgage(s)?
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
> Program....c:\neverwinter nights\nwn.exe
> Abnormal program termination
>
> This error occurs on every game that I have tried playing.
> Neverwinter nights, doom3 and battlefront.

Do you have any Firewall or Utils like Windows Blocker or similar TSR etc?
Can you also trying to run the game in as an Administrator?

CapFusion....

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:47:36 -0700, "CapFusion"
<CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

:
:"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
:news:eek:d7rm052hfre2ihjfvlau0sqdqs2kvd72r@4ax.com...
:> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:55:43 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
:>
:> :On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:48:32 -0700, Jason Gallas
:> :<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
:> :
:> :>
:> :>:
[...]

Just the built in firewall for windows xp sp2, I suppose I can disable
that but I wasn't trying to play multiplayer or anything. No TSRs.
You mean a local administrator? I have a windows 2003 domain at home
and that's usually how I log on, I can try playing it just as the
local admin to see if that helps. The problem really seems to stem
from the video though.

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:47:36 -0700, "CapFusion"
> <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
> :news:eek:d7rm052hfre2ihjfvlau0sqdqs2kvd72r@4ax.com...
> :> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:55:43 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
> :>
> :> :On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:48:32 -0700, Jason Gallas
> :> :<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
> :> :
> :> :>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:27:52 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
> :> :>
> :> :>:On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:50:12 -0700, Jason Gallas
> :> :>:<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
> :> :>:
> :> :>:>I am getting c++ application errors when I attempt to play games
> :> :>:>(doom3, neverwinter nights, battlefront) on a new system with a PNY
> :> :>:>Nvidia FX 5900 card. I think it is either directx9c related or
> driver
> :> :>:>related or both. It is a brand new install on a Windows XP Pro
> :> :>:>system. Anyone have anything similar? And if so, how did you
> solve
> :> :>:>it?
> :> :>:
> :> :>: the base/scripts directory contains c++ like files. If you've
> modded
> :> :>:the game, I'd look there first.
> :> :>
> :> :>I have not modified anything in any of the games. I thought it was a
> :> :>problem with the install so I re-installed windows (got a new HD
> :> :>anyway so par for the course). But after the re-install it still
> :> :>occurred.
> :> :What is the exact text of the error messgage(s)?
> :>
> :> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
> :> Program....c:\neverwinter nights\nwn.exe
> :> Abnormal program termination
> :>
> :> This error occurs on every game that I have tried playing.
> :> Neverwinter nights, doom3 and battlefront.
> :
> :Do you have any Firewall or Utils like Windows Blocker or similar TSR
> etc?
> :Can you also trying to run the game in as an Administrator?
>
> Just the built in firewall for windows xp sp2, I suppose I can disable
> that but I wasn't trying to play multiplayer or anything. No TSRs.
> You mean a local administrator? I have a windows 2003 domain at home
> and that's usually how I log on, I can try playing it just as the
> local admin to see if that helps. The problem really seems to stem
> from the video though.

You can try Diver suggestion to uninstall with DX9Uninstaller to see if that
will fix it.

CapFusion,...

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:28:24 -0700, Jason Gallas
<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:

>PNY
>:>:>Nvidia FX 5900

Found at:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=59651&enterthread=y

"I had the same problem and errors with the hl.exe. BUT, it only began
(awefully coincidental) after installing directX 9C. I uninstalled 9C
and reinstalled 9.0 and have had no trouble since. I'm running a
5900FX card with the NVidia 61.77 drivers on open GL (XP Pro o.s.)

For an easy revert, go to
http://www.3dcenter.org/downloads/directx-dx9uninstaller.php - you
need your XP disc, extract the files to "C:\DXTEMP" and run the .bat
in safe mode. It'll reinstall DirectX 8.0. Then just install 9.0 or
even 9.0b

It works on XP, XP pro sp1 & 2 ( I think it also works on older
O.S.'s...- I didn't even have to reinstall the nvidia drivers....

Hope this helps someone."

C++ can use the runtime dll to execute function calls. The C++ code
that is executing is trying to call a function and it gets an error.
This is probably because there is a mismatch between the code and the
level of the dll.

Since it happens in all the games the C++ code is common to all the
games. This leaves PNY, XP. PNY is probably using OpenGl so it could
be coming from there. PNY's website doesn't report any problems that
I can find although you might want to call their support line.

Do you get a dialogue box indicating that a report can be sent? If
so, post what the contents of the error is here. We might be able to
isoloate the executable that is having the problem.

Good Luck.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:07:38 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:

[...]

Thanks a bunch, that reconfirms my suspicion that it was directx9c
related. I will try the solution when I get home and post the
results!

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:29:29 -0700, Jason Gallas
<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:

:On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:07:38 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
:
::On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:28:24 -0700, Jason Gallas
::<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
::
::>PNY
::>:>:>Nvidia FX 5900
::
[...]

Well, I uninstalled DirectX9c and installed DirectX9b and the problem
persists, at least in Doom3. I am going to try patching Doom3 to see
if that has any positive results as well as installing the latest WHQL
certified drivers available on Nvidia's FTP site. Any other ideas
besides DirectX and driver issues?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:58:02 -0700, Jason Gallas
<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:29:29 -0700, Jason Gallas
><nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
>
>:On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:07:38 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
>:
>::On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:28:24 -0700, Jason Gallas
>::<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
>::
>::>PNY
>::>:>:>Nvidia FX 5900
>::
>::Found at:
>::http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=59651&enterthread=y
>::
>::"I had the same problem and errors with the hl.exe. BUT, it only began
>::(awefully coincidental) after installing directX 9C. I uninstalled 9C
>::and reinstalled 9.0 and have had no trouble since. I'm running a
>::5900FX card with the NVidia 61.77 drivers on open GL (XP Pro o.s.)
>::
>::For an easy revert, go to
>::http://www.3dcenter.org/downloads/directx-dx9uninstaller.php - you
>::need your XP disc, extract the files to "C:\DXTEMP" and run the .bat
>::in safe mode. It'll reinstall DirectX 8.0. Then just install 9.0 or
>::even 9.0b
>::
>::It works on XP, XP pro sp1 & 2 ( I think it also works on older
>::O.S.'s...- I didn't even have to reinstall the nvidia drivers....
>::
>::Hope this helps someone."
>::
>::C++ can use the runtime dll to execute function calls. The C++ code
>::that is executing is trying to call a function and it gets an error.
>::This is probably because there is a mismatch between the code and the
>::level of the dll.
>::
>::Since it happens in all the games the C++ code is common to all the
>::games. This leaves PNY, XP. PNY is probably using OpenGl so it could
>::be coming from there. PNY's website doesn't report any problems that
>::I can find although you might want to call their support line.
>::
>::Do you get a dialogue box indicating that a report can be sent? If
>::so, post what the contents of the error is here. We might be able to
>::isoloate the executable that is having the problem.
>::
>::Good Luck.
>:
>:Thanks a bunch, that reconfirms my suspicion that it was directx9c
>:related. I will try the solution when I get home and post the
>:results!
>
>Well, I uninstalled DirectX9c and installed DirectX9b and the problem
>persists, at least in Doom3. I am going to try patching Doom3 to see
>if that has any positive results as well as installing the latest WHQL
>certified drivers available on Nvidia's FTP site. Any other ideas
>besides DirectX and driver issues?

when you get the runtime error is there a dialogue box that offers to
let you view the report? If so, post it.

The module that is in question is MFCxx.dll where xx is the version
modification. What dlls are loaded at the time of the error. Mine
are (notice the directory from which they are loaded);

mfc42 6.02.4131.0 1,004.00 KB (1,028,096 bytes) 8/29/2002 4:00
AM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\mfc42.dll

mfc42 6.00.8168.0 972.05 KB (995,383 bytes) 6/29/2004 1:49
PM Microsoft Corporation c:\progra~1\grisoft\avg6\mfc42.dll

mfc42u 6.02.4131.0 1,000.00 KB (1,024,000 bytes) 8/29/2002 4:00
AM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\mfc42u.dll

You can get this by;
select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information,
Software environment, Loaded Modules

then,

edit, select all, copy

then,

post results here.

I'm also running DirectX 9.0c with Nvidia. I still think it has to do
with PNY or OpenGl but if you follow the instructions, we should know.

:>:
:>::On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:28:24 -0700, Jason Gallas
:>::<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:
:>::
:>::>PNY
:>::>:>:>Nvidia FX 5900
:>::
:>:
[...]

Will try tonight.

How did you go with this Jason?

I have an identical problem, but only on one of the three computers
here. My next step is starting the system from scratch, which I am
logically trying to avoid.

Thanks

--
Trent
Fantasyscifi - Find Aussie Gamers and Fans