Fx5700 Graphic Corruption

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 15, 2004 2:02:50 AM

Ok Guys .. first post on here and I can't post screenshots, so I'll try and
explain my problem in as few words as possible.
I've not got the most up to date system in the world but up untill now it's
been rock steady and I've been able to play the latest games up to a
resolution of 1024*768. To put off the next BIG upgrade I bought myself a
Leadtek A360TD (FX5700) a few months back and it gave me the boost I was
after by improving my best 3dmark 2001 score from 2393marks to 6247marks.
Now Doom 3 plays just fine (JUST)
So thats the background now the problem. Although this new card has
improved the system speed, I'm having strange screen corruption form time to
time. It's VERY hard to describe but it varies from an almost inversed look,
screen with too much red. To a vertical artifacts all over the screen. This
happens in 3dMark and all D3D games.. not 2D Windows as it stays normal.
I can't "force" this fault as it only seems to happen randomly and when it
does the ONLY way to clear it is to reset the machine then all is PERFECT
until the next time (which may be 1 day, or 1 week).
I'm not a newbie and before this card I had a GF1 256ddr and it was perfect
for years. I've got 3 different partitions with various CLEAN XP pro boots
going and I've tried various Forceware versions and all display more or less
the same result/FAULT.
These apps/games never actually crash but still carry on with the
corruption

So help me out fella's any ideas ??? .. sorry about long post but it hard to
explain .. If I've left anything important out that might help please tell
me.

BTW ..have used the "safe-mode & driver cleaner" method each time I've
changed the drivers.

Cheers for now .... Ian

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Processor:
Pentium 3 800mhz (Not overclocked)
Operating System:
Xp Pro (Sp2)
Mobo:
Abit SA6R
RAM:
512 Crucial 2*256 Sdram
Video:
Leadtek (A360TD) Fx5700 (Stock: Speed / Fan / Sinks)
Storage:
IBM 40gb IDE 7200
Audio:
SB Live Value

begin 666 smile.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`/`-4_`/_XJ__XHO#HD/_XH-++?M_8AO_WF_'JD=7/@/_\U<[(
M?.KCC/_[TO_\V?_YL?_YL/_XI^[GC]W6A/_[SOWUF/_YM?_WG?KREO_[RO_\
MW/_[Q__ZO<?!=^;?BO_ZN^CAB_;NE/OSEO_XI?3MD_;ND__ZPL*\=<K#><O%
M>O[VF/OSE__\V/_YM/_[QO_ZO/_ZP/_YK^GBC/_[R?_\T__WF>':A__ZO]G2
M@OSTE_GQE>/<B/_\V__XJ,&[= ```*2DI"'Y! $``#\`+ `````/``\```:1
MP)]0Z"L6A\A?,;-B8%Y'I"^3V24F+<\#XAOZ5HW&56-C\2R7KI(Q*Y8\E6+H
MT/5I,++B`\#U'3XU11L;+A4``18&*@<=$@A%#@XPAP8T%"0Q$@0H12(!`0,&
M%#@Y$04$'"9%*6D@(P<""P4*/CT]=1$+/CH%CB>UMT0=!3=&1;;!1 @*',C(
,:E[ S]!)QM0_00`[
`
end
October 15, 2004 2:33:31 AM

Just thought I'd add that these problems described above have been occuring
before XP SP1/SP2 .. DX9b or c so I don't thinks it related to them !!

Cheers
Ian
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 2:33:32 AM

"Ian" <ian(deletethisbit)underthestairs@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Just thought I'd add that these problems described above have been
> occuring
> before XP SP1/SP2 .. DX9b or c so I don't thinks it related to them !!
>
> Cheers
> Ian

I assumed you did not OC the card but as default stock setting.
If this only occured in 3D, most likely the memory module on the card is
having problem.
Most likely your card may fail in near future.
Can you check if there any heat issue while in 3D mode?

Also -
PSU may also cause this symptom when go into 3D mode. Reason maybe due to
the power comsumption or not stable..
You can try check to see if PSU is the cause by using another good PSU [if
possible] about 350W or more.

CapFusion,...
Related resources
October 15, 2004 4:42:29 AM

Thanks fellas for the response....
No the system is NOT overclocked in any way .
The Monitor is a 19inch CTX PL950 and is fairly new ... Works flawlessly
@85hz 1280*1024 32bit
However the power supply IS old, it's the original one from my 4 year old
build.
Specs as follows.....

ATX250
********
+5 = 22a
+12 = 8a
-12 = 0.5a
-5 = 0.5a
3.3VDC = 14a
VSB = 0.8a

Seems perhaps a little under powered by todays standard but as the symptoms
are not constant ..IE I can loop 3d mark & cpu burn & prime 95 and it'll
go
all night and day without failing. Then on a nother day for apparently no
reason
it'll kickin with the weird colours corruption !

To answer another one for you .... YES I did overclock the card when I
FIRST
got it to see how far It would go (like I always do with a new card). But
have been
a stock speeds for normal use ever since. Is it possible to ruin a card by
overclocking
it a bit ... surely it will just cut out/show artifacts before any real
damage is done.

This card comes with no monitoring sensors so it would be difficult to
accurately test
for heat issues, although I do have a home made thermistor which might give
me an indication
of excess heat ... but what SHOULD these cards Ram and gpu temps be ???

Now that you mention heat issues I've looked at the G-Card and in my case
the PSU is sort off
sideways making it very close (1cm) to the back of the RAM chips (which have
no passive
cooling sinks..front or back) ....a problem perhaps ??

cheers
Ian
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:15:01 AM

Ian wrote:

> Just thought I'd add that these problems described above have been
> occuring before XP SP1/SP2 .. DX9b or c so I don't thinks it related
> to them !!
>
> Cheers
> Ian

Sounds a bit heat related to me .. could be anyone of a number of
things though from your monitor on. I assume you have checked that the
fan is working on the card? Are you overclocking this card or your
system? Is your monitor new .. have you tried another monitor on your
system?

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:39:12 PM

> Thanks fellas for the response....
> No the system is NOT overclocked in any way .
> The Monitor is a 19inch CTX PL950 and is fairly new ... Works flawlessly
> @85hz 1280*1024 32bit
> However the power supply IS old, it's the original one from my 4 year old
> build.
> Specs as follows.....
>
> ATX250
> ********
> +5 = 22a
> +12 = 8a
> -12 = 0.5a
> -5 = 0.5a
> 3.3VDC = 14a
> VSB = 0.8a
>
> Seems perhaps a little under powered by todays standard but as the
> symptoms
> are not constant ..IE I can loop 3d mark & cpu burn & prime 95 and it'll
> go
> all night and day without failing. Then on a nother day for apparently no
> reason
> it'll kickin with the weird colours corruption !
>
> To answer another one for you .... YES I did overclock the card when I
> FIRST
> got it to see how far It would go (like I always do with a new card). But
> have been
> a stock speeds for normal use ever since. Is it possible to ruin a card
> by overclocking
> it a bit ... surely it will just cut out/show artifacts before any real
> damage is done.
>
> This card comes with no monitoring sensors so it would be difficult to
> accurately test
> for heat issues, although I do have a home made thermistor which might
> give me an indication
> of excess heat ... but what SHOULD these cards Ram and gpu temps be ???
>
> Now that you mention heat issues I've looked at the G-Card and in my case
> the PSU is sort off
> sideways making it very close (1cm) to the back of the RAM chips (which
> have no passive
> cooling sinks..front or back) ....a problem perhaps ??
>

> cheers
> Ian

From your screenshot, my suspection more toward the memory module and heat
related.
Can you open your case and have a fan blow in. Try again with 3DMark05 or
the game and see if the problem start again.
Let it run see if problem start. If not, turn off the fan and continue with
the game or the 3DMark05 to see if problem start.

Check if your PSU is running hot or so by carefully touching to feel the
heat from it case and the heat blowing out without your fan blowing in. If
it somewhat hot, this normally may be underpower PSU you have may cause
issue.

Note -
I understand you already mention *** I can loop 3d mark & cpu burn & prime

!