Which brand of 6800 GT to buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 15, 2004 7:01:47 AM

Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than others when it looks like the same item? I did a
little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
Thank you,

Susanna

More about : brand 6800 buy

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 8:27:48 AM

"BFG" life time warranty and very good quality gfx cards that are meant to
last
"Suzanne" <openminded2k2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my
> boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
> brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than
> others when it looks like the same item? I did a
> little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG
> brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
> on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand
> doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
> DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you and
> possibly find some comparisons and best values.
> Thank you,
>
> Susanna

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:26:16 PM

Suzanne wrote:
> Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
> brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than others when it looks like the same item? I did a
> little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
> on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
> DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
> Thank you,
>
> Susanna

First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount
of vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main
flavors...one that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with
256mb of vram onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as
none of today's games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet.
Yes, don't get the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan,
junk really. All of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that
doesn't come with 9c quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go
with the asus card that newegg has. It's the best deal for the money
IMO, but if he insists on having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is
a good brand as well as EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or
gainward either, as the performance on those cards tends to be less than
that of some of the others that are supposed to be the "same quality".
October 15, 2004 1:57:02 PM

Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a good
girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get 24/7
support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with the
heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it can
easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more expensive 6800
Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked at 370
/ 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this card, and it
is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the one to get hands
down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it thier "KickAss"
award.

So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)

P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently seperated, and
she can stay at my place anytime!!

"The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Suzanne wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my
>> boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
>> brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than
>> others when it looks like the same item? I did a
>> little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG
>> brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
>> on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand
>> doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
>> DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you
>> and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Susanna
>>
> First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
> for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount of
> vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main flavors...one
> that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with 256mb of vram
> onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as none of today's
> games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet. Yes, don't get
> the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan, junk really. All
> of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that doesn't come with 9c
> quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go with the asus card that
> newegg has. It's the best deal for the money IMO, but if he insists on
> having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is a good brand as well as
> EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or gainward either, as the
> performance on those cards tends to be less than that of some of the
> others that are supposed to be the "same quality".
October 15, 2004 4:58:47 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:26:16 GMT, The DragunLadee <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:

>Suzanne wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
>> brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than others when it looks like the same item? I did a
>> little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
>> on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
>> DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Susanna
>>
>First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
>for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount
>of vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main
>flavors...one that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with
>256mb of vram onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as
>none of today's games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet.
> Yes, don't get the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan,
>junk really. All of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that
>doesn't come with 9c quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go
>with the asus card that newegg has. It's the best deal for the money
>IMO, but if he insists on having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is
>a good brand as well as EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or
>gainward either, as the performance on those cards tends to be less than
>that of some of the others that are supposed to be the "same quality".

Hi, and thank you for your comments and information. How does one upgrade a directx 9 card to a directx 9c card? He's not
very computer savvy either, and I know he will be excited and just want to put it in and play. Is it very difficult? I think
PNY is a good brand, but I won't buy it if there is alot of trouble to upgrade it.

What about the XFX brand? I see it comes in a cute looking box shaped in an "X" :)  It is also better priced than some of the
other brands. I see newegg lists 2 models, the AUA and the AUD, what is the difference? I can't see anything different in the
specification listings. I don't know what much means that is listed there, but just comparing them side by side it looks the
same?

Lastly, what does DVI mean? I've asked my bf this and he doesn't know either, but all these video cards seem to have it.

Again, thank you very much for your time!

P.S. Are there any web sites that might have a graph or chart in ranking these brands by how good they are or how fast they
are? I can understand that alot easier than words I dont know :)
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:58:48 PM

> [...]
> PNY is a good brand, but I won't buy it if there is alot of trouble to
> upgrade it.
>
> What about the XFX brand? I see it comes in a cute looking box shaped in
> an "X" :)  It is also better priced than some of the
> other brands. I see newegg lists 2 models, the AUA and the AUD, what is
> the difference? I can't see anything different in the
> specification listings. I don't know what much means that is listed there,
> but just comparing them side by side it looks the
> same?
>
> Lastly, what does DVI mean? I've asked my bf this and he doesn't know
> either, but all these video cards seem to have it.
>
> Again, thank you very much for your time!
>
> P.S. Are there any web sites that might have a graph or chart in ranking
> these brands by how good they are or how fast they
> are? I can understand that alot easier than words I dont know :)

Ranking -
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004...
DVI -
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

The two you looking at AUA / AUD
AUA -
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT40AUA
AUD -
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT40AUD#s...

Look at display support.
A -
VGA + DVI + TV
D -
DVI + DVI + TV

DirectX9.0C -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...
This is optional to install if the game do not complain to have it or insist
of / required.

Does these link help abit?

CapFusion,...
October 16, 2004 2:01:03 AM

> Hi, and thank you for your comments and information. How does one upgrade
> a directx 9 card to a directx 9c card? He's not
> very computer savvy either, and I know he will be excited and just want to
> put it in and play. Is it very difficult? I think
> PNY is a good brand, but I won't buy it if there is alot of trouble to
> upgrade it.

I have a PNY Verto 256mb 6800GT. It's a typical reference design card,
and runs great. I'm very happy with it. Please ignore any recommendation
to buy a 128mb card. It has a VGA & DVI connectors. If you have 2 DVI
(probably lcd) monitors another card might be better, but if you have a
normal monitor it's fine.

rms
October 16, 2004 2:01:04 AM

n Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:01:03 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:

>> Hi, and thank you for your comments and information. How does one upgrade
>> a directx 9 card to a directx 9c card? He's not
>> very computer savvy either, and I know he will be excited and just want to
>> put it in and play. Is it very difficult? I think
>> PNY is a good brand, but I won't buy it if there is alot of trouble to
>> upgrade it.
>
> I have a PNY Verto 256mb 6800GT. It's a typical reference design card,
>and runs great. I'm very happy with it. Please ignore any recommendation
>to buy a 128mb card. It has a VGA & DVI connectors. If you have 2 DVI
>(probably lcd) monitors another card might be better, but if you have a
>normal monitor it's fine.
>
>rms

Thanks for your comments. I will probably buy the XFS since it is cheaper with the discount ($379 and free shipping) since no
one here says anything bad about it. It must be ok?

Suzanna
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:47:42 AM

guess wrote:
> Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a good
> girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get 24/7
> support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with the
> heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it can
> easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more expensive 6800
> Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked at 370
> / 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this card, and it
> is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the one to get hands
> down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it thier "KickAss"
> award.
>
> So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
> 6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)
>
> P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently seperated, and
> she can stay at my place anytime!!
>

> "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>
>>Suzanne wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my
>>>boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
>>>brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than
>>>others when it looks like the same item? I did a
>>>little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG
>>>brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
>>>on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand
>>>doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
>>>DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you
>>>and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>Susanna
>>>

>>First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
>>for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount of
>>vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main flavors...one
>>that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with 256mb of vram
>>onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as none of today's
>>games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet. Yes, don't get
>>the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan, junk really. All
>>of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that doesn't come with 9c
>>quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go with the asus card that
>>newegg has. It's the best deal for the money IMO, but if he insists on
>>having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is a good brand as well as
>>EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or gainward either, as the
>>performance on those cards tends to be less than that of some of the
>>others that are supposed to be the "same quality".

I suppose if she really wants her b/f to have nothing but problems, then
she should go ahead and get the BFG, but I certainly wouldn't.
October 16, 2004 5:06:25 AM

> guess wrote:
> > Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a good
> > girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get
24/7
> > support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with the
> > heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it
can
> > easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more expensive
6800
> > Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked at
370
> > / 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this card, and
it
> > is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the one to get
hands
> > down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it thier "KickAss"
> > award.
> >
> > So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
> > 6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)
> >
> > P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently seperated,
and
> > she can stay at my place anytime!!
> >

> > "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message

BFG

> >>First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
> >>for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount
of
> >>vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main
flavors...one
> >>that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with 256mb of vram
> >>onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as none of today's
> >>games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet. Yes, don't get
> >>the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan, junk really. All
> >>of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that doesn't come with
9c
> >>quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go with the asus card that
> >>newegg has. It's the best deal for the money IMO, but if he insists on
> >>having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is a good brand as well as
> >>EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or gainward either, as the
> >>performance on those cards tends to be less than that of some of the
> >>others that are supposed to be the "same quality".
> >

> I suppose if she really wants her b/f to have nothing but problems, then
> she should go ahead and get the BFG, but I certainly wouldn't.

I bought the BFG 6800 Ultra OC from NewEgg. It has worked great and has
lifetime warranty,
BUT I have heard some strange noises coming and going from my case (about 2
weeks ago). It sounds like something was hitting a fan inside. I coundn;t
pinpoint it but i guess it could be the heatsink/fan problem people are
talking about...
It hasn't happened for over a week now and everything seems to be running
fine. I probably should have saved the $$$ and bought a GT but I had the $
and didn't do as much research as I should have...
BFG does have a lifetime warranty if you go that route.
Also you asked about DVI. The new cards usually come with a DVI to VGA (old
crt style) adapter so don't worry if you don't have an LCD monitor.
MJ
October 16, 2004 7:00:04 AM

> Thanks for your comments. I will probably buy the XFS since it is cheaper
> with the discount ($379 and free shipping) since no
> one here says anything bad about it. It must be ok?

http://www.pricewatch.com/ shows the pny at $363 shipped, but do what
you like :)

rms
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 8:55:46 AM

Well, you seem to be the only one having a problem with the BFG card. Every
review I have read rated it the best. I have it myself and it works great.
Any product sold will have some bad ones. For her to base her decision
solely on only you having trouble wouldn't be good.

"The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> guess wrote:
>> Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a good
>> girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get 24/7
>> support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with the
>> heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it can
>> easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more expensive
>> 6800 Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked
>> at 370 / 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this
>> card, and it is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the
>> one to get hands down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it
>> thier "KickAss" award.
>>
>> So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
>> 6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)
>>
>> P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently seperated,
>> and she can stay at my place anytime!!
>>

>> "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message

>>>First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
>>>for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount of
>>>vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main flavors...one
>>>that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with 256mb of vram
>>>onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as none of today's
>>>games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet. Yes, don't get
>>>the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan, junk really. All
>>>of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that doesn't come with
>>>9c quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go with the asus card
>>>that newegg has. It's the best deal for the money IMO, but if he insists
>>>on having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is a good brand as well as
>>>EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or gainward either, as the
>>>performance on those cards tends to be less than that of some of the
>>>others that are supposed to be the "same quality".
>>

> I suppose if she really wants her b/f to have nothing but problems, then
> she should go ahead and get the BFG, but I certainly wouldn't.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 11:02:01 AM

guess wrote:
> Well, you seem to be the only one having a problem with the BFG card. Every
> review I have read rated it the best. I have it myself and it works great.
> Any product sold will have some bad ones. For her to base her decision
> solely on only you having trouble wouldn't be good.
>

> "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>
>>guess wrote:
>>
>>>Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a good
>>>girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get 24/7
>>>support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with the
>>>heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it can
>>>easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more expensive
>>>6800 Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked
>>>at 370 / 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this
>>>card, and it is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the
>>>one to get hands down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it
>>>thier "KickAss" award.
>>>
>>>So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
>>>6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)
>>>
>>>P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently seperated,
>>>and she can stay at my place anytime!!
>>>

>>>"The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message

>>I suppose if she really wants her b/f to have nothing but problems, then
>>she should go ahead and get the BFG, but I certainly wouldn't.

Actually no I'm not the only one having problems, but you seem to think
you know everything, so we'll just leave it at that.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:26:49 PM

get the BFG 6800 256 GT OC from http://www.outpost.com for around $350

"Suzanne" <openminded2k2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my
> boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
> brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money than
> others when it looks like the same item? I did a
> little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG
> brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
> on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY brand
> doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
> DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you and
> possibly find some comparisons and best values.
> Thank you,
>
> Susanna

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 10:58:26 PM

I had the same problem with something hitting my fan as well. It turned out
to be a cockroach!

"MJ" <mkjimenez@REMOVEpeoplepc.com> wrote in message
> "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > guess wrote:
> > > Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a
good
> > > girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get
> 24/7
> > > support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with
the
> > > heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it
> can
> > > easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more
expensive
> 6800
> > > Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked
at
> 370
> > > / 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this card,
and
> it
> > > is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the one to get
> hands
> > > down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it thier
"KickAss"
> > > award.
> > >
> > > So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
> > > 6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)
> > >
> > > P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently
seperated,
> and
> > > she can stay at my place anytime!!
> > >

> > > "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> than
> BFG
> brand

> of
> flavors...one
All
> 9c
> > >

> > I suppose if she really wants her b/f to have nothing but problems, then
> > she should go ahead and get the BFG, but I certainly wouldn't.
>
> I bought the BFG 6800 Ultra OC from NewEgg. It has worked great and has
> lifetime warranty,
> BUT I have heard some strange noises coming and going from my case (about
2
> weeks ago). It sounds like something was hitting a fan inside. I coundn;t
> pinpoint it but i guess it could be the heatsink/fan problem people are
> talking about...
> It hasn't happened for over a week now and everything seems to be running
> fine. I probably should have saved the $$$ and bought a GT but I had the $
> and didn't do as much research as I should have...
> BFG does have a lifetime warranty if you go that route.
> Also you asked about DVI. The new cards usually come with a DVI to VGA
(old
> crt style) adapter so don't worry if you don't have an LCD monitor.
> MJ

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 11:31:15 PM

Ditto, I've owned a BFG 6800 GT OC for over 2 months now and it works great
so disregard what DragunLadee said about it. Chances are that Dragun doesn't
even own one so knows nothing of which she or he speaks. I have played Doom3
and Far Cry along with many other games and it performs flawlessly.
"guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:1097834221.843776@news...
> Well, about the only truth to this reply, is that you say she is a good
> girlfriend. The BFG 256 meg card is actually the one to get. You get 24/7
> support (no one else offers it), there is NO, repeat NO problem with the
> heatsink, it comes out of the box overclocked WITH a warranty, and it can
> easily take the same clock speed settings as the $100.00 more expensive
> 6800 Ultra. the stock 6800 GT is clocked at 350 / 1.0. the BFG is clocked
> at 370 / 1.0, and it can easily be clocked to 400 / 1.1. I have this card,
> and it is fantastic. It is the one that I would recommend as the one to
> get hands down. All the magazines recommend it. Maximum PC gave it thier
> "KickAss" award.
>
> So, to the girl who is looking for a card, I highly recommend the BFG
> 6800GTOC 256. (the "OC" stands for Over Clock)
>
> P.S. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, I am recently seperated,
> and she can stay at my place anytime!!
>

> "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> Suzanne wrote:
>>> Hi everyone, I am a newbie. I want to buy the nVidia 6800 GT that my
>>> boyfriend wants for his birthday, but there are so many
>>> brands. What is the difference between them? Why are some more money
>>> than others when it looks like the same item? I did a
>>> little hunting and the only thing I could find was some ppl said the BFG
>>> brand has a bad heatsink or something. I also looked
>>> on newegg.com and saw that all the cards look the same, but the PNY
>>> brand doesn't show that has DirectX 9C, it only has
>>> DirectX 9. Is this a concern? Please I'd like to hear from some of you
>>> and possibly find some comparisons and best values.
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Susanna
>>>
>> First of all, you must be a REALLY good g/f in order to spend that much
>> for your b/f for his b-day. Now, one of the differences is the amount of
>> vram that's onboard the card. The 6800GT comes in two main flavors...one
>> that has 128mb of vram onboard, and one that comes with 256mb of vram
>> onboard. He really doesn't need the 256mb version, as none of today's
>> games really take advantage of that much vram as of yet. Yes, don't get
>> the BFG as it does indeed have a bad heatsink and fan, junk really. All
>> of them support Directx9 (you can upgrade a card that doesn't come with
>> 9c quite easily). Personally if it were me, I'd go with the asus card
>> that newegg has. It's the best deal for the money IMO, but if he insists
>> on having one of the more expensive cards, PNY is a good brand as well as
>> EVGA. I also wouldn't go with a chaintech or gainward either, as the
>> performance on those cards tends to be less than that of some of the
>> others that are supposed to be the "same quality".

October 18, 2004 8:17:26 PM

"paking" <paking@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I had the same problem with something hitting my fan as well. It turned out
> to be a cockroach!

You had a cockroach in your PC???!??! Yuk. Makes me - for once - glad I
live in cold, damp & rainy England. It may be cold an wet, but at least its
roach-free!

Chip

> "MJ" <mkjimenez@REMOVEpeoplepc.com> wrote in message
>> "The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> good
>> 24/7
> the
>> can
> expensive
>> 6800
> at
>> 370
> and
>> it
>> hands
> "KickAss"

> seperated,
>> and

>> than
>> BFG
>> brand
> you

> much
>> of
>> flavors...one
> get
> All
> with
>> 9c
> that
>> > >

>> > I suppose if she really wants her b/f to have nothing but problems,
>> > then
>> > she should go ahead and get the BFG, but I certainly wouldn't.
>>
>> I bought the BFG 6800 Ultra OC from NewEgg. It has worked great and has
>> lifetime warranty,
>> BUT I have heard some strange noises coming and going from my case (about
> 2
>> weeks ago). It sounds like something was hitting a fan inside. I coundn;t
>> pinpoint it but i guess it could be the heatsink/fan problem people are
>> talking about...
>> It hasn't happened for over a week now and everything seems to be running
>> fine. I probably should have saved the $$$ and bought a GT but I had the
>> $
>> and didn't do as much research as I should have...
>> BFG does have a lifetime warranty if you go that route.
>> Also you asked about DVI. The new cards usually come with a DVI to VGA
> (old
>> crt style) adapter so don't worry if you don't have an LCD monitor.
>> MJ

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:51:59 AM

Chip wrote:
> "paking" <paking@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

>> I had the same problem with something hitting my fan as well. It
>> turned out to be a cockroach!
>
> You had a cockroach in your PC???!??! Yuk. Makes me - for once -
> glad I live in cold, damp & rainy England. It may be cold an wet,
> but at least its roach-free!

Heh, that's where the term "debug" came from in the first place when
computers were rooms full of vaccuum tubes with exposed wiring. Bugs would
get into the works and cause electrical havoc.

dvus
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:13:19 AM

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:
> > "paking" <paking@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
> >> I had the same problem with something hitting my fan as well. It
> >> turned out to be a cockroach!
> >
> > You had a cockroach in your PC???!??! Yuk. Makes me - for once -
> > glad I live in cold, damp & rainy England. It may be cold an wet,
> > but at least its roach-free!
>
> Heh, that's where the term "debug" came from in the first place when
> computers were rooms full of vaccuum tubes with exposed wiring. Bugs would
> get into the works and cause electrical havoc.

See:
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/first_computer_bug....
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/first_computer_bug_...
http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/csr/comphist/objects/...

Apparently it was a moth in a relay switch...

Vu.
!