Geforce 6800 GT with 128 MB

rene

Dear subscribers,

A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had been
expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a gift,
nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.

However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.

The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the "GT-part"
(the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one only
notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256 MB?
In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?

Thank You very much in advance!

Yours sincerely,
Rene

Check out this website and decide for yourself....

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

"René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear subscribers,
>
> A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
> concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had
been
> expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
> budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
> DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a
gift,
> nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.
>
> However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
> A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
> An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.
>
> The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the "GT-part"
> (the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one
only
> notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256
MB?
> In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?
>
> Thank You very much in advance!
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Rene

4 extra pipes?? I thought they were all 16.

"René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear subscribers,
>
> A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
> concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had
> been
> expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
> budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
> DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a
> gift,
> nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.
>
> However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
> A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
> An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.
>
> The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the "GT-part"
> (the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one
> only
> notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256
> MB?
> In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?
>
> Thank You very much in advance!
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Rene

Sorry I meant 12.

>4 extra pipes?? I thought they were all 16.
>
> "René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dear subscribers,
>>
>> A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
>> concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had
>> been
>> expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
>> budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
>> DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a
>> gift,
>> nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.
>>
>> However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
>> A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
>> An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.
>>
>> The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the "GT-part"
>> (the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one
>> only
>> notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256
>> MB?
>> In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?
>>
>> Thank You very much in advance!
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>> Rene

And I may be wrong.

> Sorry I meant 12.
>
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>4 extra pipes?? I thought they were all 16.
>>
>> "René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Dear subscribers,
>>>
>>> A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
>>> concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had
>>> been
>>> expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
>>> budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
>>> DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a
>>> gift,
>>> nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.
>>>
>>> However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
>>> A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
>>> An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.
>>>
>>> The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the
>>> "GT-part"
>>> (the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one
>>> only
>>> notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256
>>> MB?
>>> In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?
>>>
>>> Thank You very much in advance!
>>>
>>> Yours sincerely,
>>> Rene

The 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra have 16 pipes.
> And I may be wrong.
>
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry I meant 12.
>>
>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>>4 extra pipes?? I thought they were all 16.
>>>
>>> "René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yes, I see that now on Toms HW site. Still the plain 6800 card flies, I just
got rid of a Radeon 9800Pro and got the plain 6800 and it is about 50%
faster.

"OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
> The 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra have 16 pipes.
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> And I may be wrong.
>>
>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry I meant 12.
>>>
>>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message

Hi René,
I've got a brand new ASUS V9999GT-TD-128Mo for 2 days and I can give you the
answers you'ra waiting for :

16 pipelines as all 6800GT and not 12 as basic 6800.
128 Mo of DDR1 at 2.7ns instead of 256 Mo at 2.2 ns DDR3.
CPU at 350Mhz and RAM at 350 Mhz instead of 500Mhz (DDR3)

And what is the result, I've bought at Surcouf store in Bordeaux Town
(France) for 350 euros and you can et it in Paris for 320 euros, conpare to
the 450 to 500 euros for a 6800GT - 256MO DDR3

See the test here :
http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/recenzje/GeForce_6800/Asus_9999GT.html

What about the results :
I've got an ASUS A7N8X with ATHLON 1700+ overclocked as a 2600+
1Gb of RAM (2x512Mo)
IDE 133 MATROX Drive.
And A brand new ASUS V9999GT, before I've got an MSI-5900-TD-128 working as
an ultra model.
DirectX 9c
DETONATOR 61.77

Overclocked at 400 CPU instead of 350 and 800MHz CPU instead of 700 (350*2)
getting more is possible, 850 seems to work fine, but everything works 2
times better than with the 5900 that is not too bad.

3DMark 2003 : 10500 points
3DMark 2005 : 3600 points
DOOM3 demo1 : 51 Fps.

Not to bad and you keep 100 Euros in your pocket for another components,
ATHLON64 3000+ at 2.4Ghz on K8N-E for instance ;-)

Best regards,

Philippe

"René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Dear subscribers,
>
> A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
> concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had
been
> expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
> budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
> DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a
gift,
> nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.
>
> However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
> A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
> An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.
>
> The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the "GT-part"
> (the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one
only
> notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256
MB?
> In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?
>
> Thank You very much in advance!
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Rene

rene

"Steve S" <4sstapf@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

> "René" <spamisnietleuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Dear subscribers,
> >
> > A couple of days I have been given good advice in this NG and the Ati-NG
> > concerning my new video card. Due to an unexpected surprise (if it had
> been
> > expected, it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore, would it? ;-)), my
> > budget has risen a bit (a close friend for whom I have done several
> > DIY-things in the house, has offered to participate in the costs as a
> gift,
> > nice!) and now I have decided to buy a Geforce 6800.
> >
> > However, there are two possibilities, both from Asus:
> > A plain 6800 with 128 MB for 309 euro
> > An 6800 GT with 128 MB for 359 euro.
> >
> > The GT with 256 MB is far too expensive. My question is, is the
"GT-part"
> > (the four extra pipes) useful on a card with only 128 MB, or would one
> only
> > notice the difference between non-GT and GT if the latter would have 256
> MB?
> > In other words, are the 50 euro's worth it?

> Check out this website and decide for yourself....
>
> http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

I am dreadfully sorry, but there is no mention of 128 or 256 MB on that
site, which was what my question was about. It does say things about non-GT,
GT and ultra, but not about the amount of memory on the GT. But, this IS the
site I was looking for in my previous question!

Thank You very much for answering!

Sincerely,
Rene

rene

"SEMPE Philippe (@Home)" <ph.sempe@neuf.fr> schreef in bericht
> Hi René,
> I've got a brand new ASUS V9999GT-TD-128Mo for 2 days and I can give you
the
> answers you'ra waiting for :
>
> 16 pipelines as all 6800GT and not 12 as basic 6800.
> 128 Mo of DDR1 at 2.7ns instead of 256 Mo at 2.2 ns DDR3.
> CPU at 350Mhz and RAM at 350 Mhz instead of 500Mhz (DDR3)
>
> And what is the result, I've bought at Surcouf store in Bordeaux Town
> (France) for 350 euros and you can et it in Paris for 320 euros, conpare
> the 450 to 500 euros for a 6800GT - 256MO DDR3
>

> See the test here :
> http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/recenzje/GeForce_6800/Asus_9999GT.html
>
> What about the results :
> I've got an ASUS A7N8X with ATHLON 1700+ overclocked as a 2600+
> 1Gb of RAM (2x512Mo)
> IDE 133 MATROX Drive.
> And A brand new ASUS V9999GT, before I've got an MSI-5900-TD-128 working
as
> an ultra model.
> DirectX 9c
> DETONATOR 61.77
>
> Overclocked at 400 CPU instead of 350 and 800MHz CPU instead of 700
(350*2)
> getting more is possible, 850 seems to work fine, but everything works 2
> times better than with the 5900 that is not too bad.
>
> 3DMark 2003 : 10500 points
> 3DMark 2005 : 3600 points
> DOOM3 demo1 : 51 Fps.
>
> Not to bad and you keep 100 Euros in your pocket for another components,
> ATHLON64 3000+ at 2.4Ghz on K8N-E for instance ;-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Philippe

Cher Philippe,

Merci beaucoup pour votre information. Ma Francais n'est pas tres bien (but
it's still better than my Polish like on the site You mentioned).
Your thorough advice has been very helpful to me; I am going to get the same
card as the one You have!

Au revoir et bon plaisir avec votre nouveau adapteur VGA!

Sincerely,
Rene (<- this is the French word I know best ;-))

> "SEMPE Philippe (@Home)" <ph.sempe@neuf.fr> schreef in bericht
> > Hi René,
> > I've got a brand new ASUS V9999GT-TD-128Mo for 2 days and I can give you
> the
> > answers you'ra waiting for :
> >
> > 16 pipelines as all 6800GT and not 12 as basic 6800.
> > 128 Mo of DDR1 at 2.7ns instead of 256 Mo at 2.2 ns DDR3.
> > CPU at 350Mhz and RAM at 350 Mhz instead of 500Mhz (DDR3)
> >
> > And what is the result, I've bought at Surcouf store in Bordeaux Town
> > (France) for 350 euros and you can et it in Paris for 320 euros, conpare
> > the 450 to 500 euros for a 6800GT - 256MO DDR3
> >

> > See the test here :
> > http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/recenzje/GeForce_6800/Asus_9999GT.html
> >
> > What about the results :
> > I've got an ASUS A7N8X with ATHLON 1700+ overclocked as a 2600+
> > 1Gb of RAM (2x512Mo)
> > IDE 133 MATROX Drive.
> > And A brand new ASUS V9999GT, before I've got an MSI-5900-TD-128 working
> as
> > an ultra model.
> > DirectX 9c
> > DETONATOR 61.77
> >
> > Overclocked at 400 CPU instead of 350 and 800MHz CPU instead of 700
> (350*2)
> > getting more is possible, 850 seems to work fine, but everything works 2
> > times better than with the 5900 that is not too bad.
> >
> > 3DMark 2003 : 10500 points
> > 3DMark 2005 : 3600 points
> > DOOM3 demo1 : 51 Fps.
> >
> > Not to bad and you keep 100 Euros in your pocket for another components,
> > ATHLON64 3000+ at 2.4Ghz on K8N-E for instance ;-)
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Philippe
>
> Cher Philippe,
>
> Merci beaucoup pour votre information. Ma Francais n'est pas tres bien
(but
> it's still better than my Polish like on the site You mentioned).
> Your thorough advice has been very helpful to me; I am going to get the
same
> card as the one You have!
>
> Au revoir et bon plaisir avec votre nouveau adapteur VGA!
>
> Sincerely,
> Rene (<- this is the French word I know best ;-))

Bonjour René,

You're french is nearly fluent, I though you are french, cause of your first
name, that's why I explained where I have bought the video card ;-)
In French => Votre francais est presque courant, J'ai pense que vous etiez
francais(e), a cause de votre prenom, c'est pour cela que je vous ai
explique ou j'avais achete la carte video ;-)

My polish is as poor as yours, I don't understand a word infact, but the
charts on site are good enough.
(my english is not perfect as well ;-)

I'm sure you made the best price for value choice.

An another good point for this card : It is a bit less noisy than the MSI
5900.

Have a nice day,

Best Regards,

Philippe

> My polish is as poor as yours, I don't understand a word infact, but the
> charts on site are good enough.
> (my english is not perfect as well ;-)
>
> I'm sure you made the best price for value choice.
>
> An another good point for this card : It is a bit less noisy than the MSI
> 5900.

hey, i am a pole. Would you like to know something more from that article?
This card looks great for me. I allways play in resolution 1024 x 768 so
this is just a perfect one for me. I will not pay for additional not used
performance. One question for you Sempe, what settings did u use in doom3
test?

Regards
Byru from Poland :D