nVidia GeForce Guru Needed

I recently began receiving the following error message:
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
write combining".
I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
resident newsgroup guru's.

Confused and Frustrated,
Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce guru needed

    Dave,

    This isn't a Guru-ish response, but have you tried Driver Cleaner
    (http://www.drivercleaner.net/)? The nVidia driver uninstaller may leave
    some .dll's behind. This utility will dispose of some (all?) of them.

    If you have a mainboard with something other than an Intel chipset, have you
    tried re-installing the AGP drivers?

    You're running XP. Is SP2 installed? I had a few glitches with SP2. I
    prepared a copy of the XP install disk with SP2 "slipstreamed" onto it, and
    did a repair installation. I believe that made a cleaner XP installation.
    (I've since upgraded the mainboard, and done a clean XP SP2 installation.
    The "slipstreamed" CD was convenient, compared to installing XP and then
    updating it.)

    Perhaps if you posted more details on your system, it would suggest
    something to one of the gurus. (Not me. I don't rate as a maven, much less a
    guru.)

    I hope that you get it sorted sooner, rather than later.

    Bob Knowlden

    "Dave" <drmiller@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I recently began receiving the following error message:
    > Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
    >
    > I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
    > 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
    > nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
    > suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
    > write combining".
    > I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
    > resident newsgroup guru's.
    >
    > Confused and Frustrated,
    > Dave

    Bob,

    Thanks for the input -- I'll try the "drivercleaner".
    I did try re-installing the AGP drivers -- no help.

    Another bizarre item -- since this error started, my system crashes whenever
    I run Registry First Aid or Registry Mechanic (thought there may be a
    conflict in the registry). It also sporadically crashes whenever Zone Alarm
    runs a full system virus scan (takes several attempts to get a complete
    scan). No spyware --Spybot came up clean. Related or coincidence ????

    Other info: My mb is an Albatron KX18D with an AMC Athlon XP 2.6 gig
    processor.

    I'm running WinXP with the SP2 upgrade -- both clean installs from CD.

    Thanks again

    Dave

    Dave wrote:
    > I recently began receiving the following error message:
    > Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
    >
    > I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
    > 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
    > nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
    > suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
    > write combining".
    > I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
    > resident newsgroup guru's.
    >
    > Confused and Frustrated,
    > Dave

    I get this and similar errors on XP sp1a. My systems are HP d530sff
    systems (P4 2.6/2.8 GHz, 512MB, 40 GB) that are all intel (cpu, mobo,
    embedded video/sound). These are laboratory data acquisition PCs so they
    run very plain - no extra software other than for the lab instruments -
    and much of the MS extras are removed. All drivers were updated to give
    some improvement (doesn't happen as often).

    I do not have a complete resolution as yet (MS bastards are no help) and
    these systems worked fine with 2K. But I have noticed that completely
    (as far as one can) disabling power management / acpi helps. The error
    occured most often when the monitor comes out of sleep mode. So I
    switched to LCD and turned it all off. So far so good.

    Since I also disabled a bunch of services we don't need, I am going to

    INfinite loop; is famous and a multitude of users await a good fix

    Anyhow, no more wait, give this a shot :

    Right click-mouse over My Computer
    Properties
    Hardware(Tab)
    Device Manager(button)
    Click [+] next to System devices
    right-mouse on CPU to AGP Controller (or whatever your controller is
    called, mine was SiS AGP)
    Update Driver(button)

    Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    Next(button)
    Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
    Next(button)
    Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Next(button)
    Finish(button)
    Reboot.

    Please let me know how this works for you.
    Good luck.

    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15393.html

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:12:47 -0600, Beowulf <edkchem@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >Dave wrote:
    >> I recently began receiving the following error message:
    >> Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
    >>
    >> I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
    >> 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
    >> nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
    >> suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
    >> write combining".
    >> I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
    >> resident newsgroup guru's.
    >>
    >> Confused and Frustrated,
    >> Dave
    >>

    >I get this and similar errors on XP sp1a. My systems are HP d530sff
    >systems (P4 2.6/2.8 GHz, 512MB, 40 GB) that are all intel (cpu, mobo,
    >embedded video/sound). These are laboratory data acquisition PCs so they
    >run very plain - no extra software other than for the lab instruments -
    >and much of the MS extras are removed. All drivers were updated to give
    >some improvement (doesn't happen as often).
    >
    >I do not have a complete resolution as yet (MS bastards are no help) and
    >these systems worked fine with 2K. But I have noticed that completely
    >(as far as one can) disabling power management / acpi helps. The error
    >occured most often when the monitor comes out of sleep mode. So I
    >switched to LCD and turned it all off. So far so good.
    >
    >Since I also disabled a bunch of services we don't need, I am going to

Nvidia Drivers Error Message Geforce Graphics