nVidia GeForce Guru Needed

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I recently began receiving the following error message:
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
write combining".
I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
resident newsgroup guru's.

Confused and Frustrated,
Dave

Dave,

This isn't a Guru-ish response, but have you tried Driver Cleaner
(http://www.drivercleaner.net/)? The nVidia driver uninstaller may leave
some .dll's behind. This utility will dispose of some (all?) of them.

If you have a mainboard with something other than an Intel chipset, have you
tried re-installing the AGP drivers?

You're running XP. Is SP2 installed? I had a few glitches with SP2. I
prepared a copy of the XP install disk with SP2 "slipstreamed" onto it, and
did a repair installation. I believe that made a cleaner XP installation.
(I've since upgraded the mainboard, and done a clean XP SP2 installation.
The "slipstreamed" CD was convenient, compared to installing XP and then
updating it.)

Perhaps if you posted more details on your system, it would suggest
something to one of the gurus. (Not me. I don't rate as a maven, much less a
guru.)

I hope that you get it sorted sooner, rather than later.

Bob Knowlden

"Dave" <drmiller@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>I recently began receiving the following error message:
> Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
>
> I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
> 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
> nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
> suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
> write combining".
> I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
> resident newsgroup guru's.
>
> Confused and Frustrated,
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Bob,

Thanks for the input -- I'll try the "drivercleaner".
I did try re-installing the AGP drivers -- no help.

Another bizarre item -- since this error started, my system crashes whenever
I run Registry First Aid or Registry Mechanic (thought there may be a
conflict in the registry). It also sporadically crashes whenever Zone Alarm
runs a full system virus scan (takes several attempts to get a complete
scan). No spyware --Spybot came up clean. Related or coincidence ????

Other info: My mb is an Albatron KX18D with an AMC Athlon XP 2.6 gig
processor.

I'm running WinXP with the SP2 upgrade -- both clean installs from CD.

Thanks again

Dave

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Dave,
>
> This isn't a Guru-ish response, but have you tried Driver Cleaner
> (http://www.drivercleaner.net/)? The nVidia driver uninstaller may leave
> some .dll's behind. This utility will dispose of some (all?) of them.
>
> If you have a mainboard with something other than an Intel chipset, have
> you tried re-installing the AGP drivers?
>
> You're running XP. Is SP2 installed? I had a few glitches with SP2. I
> prepared a copy of the XP install disk with SP2 "slipstreamed" onto it,
> and did a repair installation. I believe that made a cleaner XP
> installation. (I've since upgraded the mainboard, and done a clean XP SP2
> installation. The "slipstreamed" CD was convenient, compared to installing
> XP and then updating it.)
>
> Perhaps if you posted more details on your system, it would suggest
> something to one of the gurus. (Not me. I don't rate as a maven, much less
> a guru.)
>
> I hope that you get it sorted sooner, rather than later.
>
> Bob Knowlden
>
> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Dave" <drmiller@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I recently began receiving the following error message:
>> Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
>>
>> I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
>> 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
>> nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
>> suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
>> write combining".
>> I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
>> resident newsgroup guru's.
>>
>> Confused and Frustrated,
>> Dave

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Dave wrote:
> I recently began receiving the following error message:
> Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
>
> I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
> 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
> nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
> suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
> write combining".
> I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
> resident newsgroup guru's.
>
> Confused and Frustrated,
> Dave

I get this and similar errors on XP sp1a. My systems are HP d530sff
systems (P4 2.6/2.8 GHz, 512MB, 40 GB) that are all intel (cpu, mobo,
embedded video/sound). These are laboratory data acquisition PCs so they
run very plain - no extra software other than for the lab instruments -
and much of the MS extras are removed. All drivers were updated to give
some improvement (doesn't happen as often).

I do not have a complete resolution as yet (MS bastards are no help) and
these systems worked fine with 2K. But I have noticed that completely
(as far as one can) disabling power management / acpi helps. The error
occured most often when the monitor comes out of sleep mode. So I
switched to LCD and turned it all off. So far so good.

Since I also disabled a bunch of services we don't need, I am going to

INfinite loop; is famous and a multitude of users await a good fix

Anyhow, no more wait, give this a shot :

Right click-mouse over My Computer
Properties
Hardware(Tab)
Device Manager(button)
Click [+] next to System devices
right-mouse on CPU to AGP Controller (or whatever your controller is
called, mine was SiS AGP)
Update Driver(button)

Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Next(button)
Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
Next(button)
Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Next(button)
Finish(button)
Reboot.

Please let me know how this works for you.
Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15393.html

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:12:47 -0600, Beowulf <edkchem@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> I recently began receiving the following error message:
>> Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
>>
>> I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, put in a new XFX Nvidia FX5200
>> 256mb AGP card (old one was also a FX5200 card), downloaded the latest
>> nVidia drivers, searched Micorsoft Knowledge base and tried their
>> suggestions, set hardware acceleration to "none", and unchecked "enable
>> write combining".
>> I don't know what else to try and would appreciate suggestions from the
>> resident newsgroup guru's.
>>
>> Confused and Frustrated,
>> Dave
>>

>I get this and similar errors on XP sp1a. My systems are HP d530sff
>systems (P4 2.6/2.8 GHz, 512MB, 40 GB) that are all intel (cpu, mobo,
>embedded video/sound). These are laboratory data acquisition PCs so they
>run very plain - no extra software other than for the lab instruments -
>and much of the MS extras are removed. All drivers were updated to give
>some improvement (doesn't happen as often).
>
>I do not have a complete resolution as yet (MS bastards are no help) and
>these systems worked fine with 2K. But I have noticed that completely
>(as far as one can) disabling power management / acpi helps. The error
>occured most often when the monitor comes out of sleep mode. So I
>switched to LCD and turned it all off. So far so good.
>
>Since I also disabled a bunch of services we don't need, I am going to

TRENDING THREADS