How to identify PC components?

I was given a Gateway GS-233. I reinstalled the OS because the previous
owner deleted the HD. The owner gave me the software but now I need to
identify all the hardware so I can select the correct software to install. I
asked the original owner but he doesn't remember. I want to know everything
about this PC such as mother board, modem, sound card, HD. etc. How can I
identify the hardware? If needed please suggest a better NG for my question.
Thank you for your help.
Signed,
me
5 answers Last reply
More about identify components

    You can try using the serial number at support.gateway.com - if that
    doesn't bring up a list, you'll have to open the system and visually
    inspect each component for its Gateway part number (usually on a
    dot-matrix sticker affixed to each part) and then look up the details.

    me wrote:
    > I was given a Gateway GS-233. I reinstalled the OS because the previous
    > owner deleted the HD. The owner gave me the software but now I need to
    > identify all the hardware so I can select the correct software to install. I
    > asked the original owner but he doesn't remember. I want to know everything
    > about this PC such as mother board, modem, sound card, HD. etc. How can I
    > identify the hardware? If needed please suggest a better NG for my question.
    > Thank you for your help.
    > Signed,
    > me

    Thank you for your speedy reply. I did as you suggested and the site did
    recognize the SN but I didn't find the list, I may not be seeing it, can you
    tell me where to look for it?
    Signed,
    me

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > You can try using the serial number at support.gateway.com - if that
    > doesn't bring up a list, you'll have to open the system and visually
    > inspect each component for its Gateway part number (usually on a
    > dot-matrix sticker affixed to each part) and then look up the details.
    >

    > me wrote:
    > > I was given a Gateway GS-233. I reinstalled the OS because the previous
    > > owner deleted the HD. The owner gave me the software but now I need to
    > > identify all the hardware so I can select the correct software to
    install. I
    > > asked the original owner but he doesn't remember. I want to know
    everything
    > > about this PC such as mother board, modem, sound card, HD. etc. How can
    > > identify the hardware? If needed please suggest a better NG for my
    question.
    > > Thank you for your help.
    > > Signed,
    > > me

    There should be a "Go to my Support" link somewhere on the page.

    "me" <anonymous@_.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your speedy reply. I did as you suggested and the site did
    > recognize the SN but I didn't find the list, I may not be seeing it, can
    > you
    > tell me where to look for it?
    > Signed,
    > me
    >
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> You can try using the serial number at support.gateway.com - if that
    >> doesn't bring up a list, you'll have to open the system and visually
    >> inspect each component for its Gateway part number (usually on a
    >> dot-matrix sticker affixed to each part) and then look up the details.
    >>

    >> me wrote:
    >> > I was given a Gateway GS-233. I reinstalled the OS because the previous
    >> > owner deleted the HD. The owner gave me the software but now I need to
    >> > identify all the hardware so I can select the correct software to
    > install. I
    >> > asked the original owner but he doesn't remember. I want to know
    > everything
    >> > about this PC such as mother board, modem, sound card, HD. etc. How can
    >> > identify the hardware? If needed please suggest a better NG for my
    > question.
    >> > Thank you for your help.
    >> > Signed,
    >> > me

    Or a "My Support Documents"

    "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
    > There should be a "Go to my Support" link somewhere on the page.
    >
    > "me" <anonymous@_.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you for your speedy reply. I did as you suggested and the site did
    >> recognize the SN but I didn't find the list, I may not be seeing it, can
    >> you
    >> tell me where to look for it?
    >> Signed,
    >> me
    >>
    >> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>> You can try using the serial number at support.gateway.com - if that
    >>> doesn't bring up a list, you'll have to open the system and visually
    >>> inspect each component for its Gateway part number (usually on a
    >>> dot-matrix sticker affixed to each part) and then look up the details.

    >> install. I
    >> everything
    >> question.

    I went to that page, when I got there I clicked on "My Support Documents"
    and I now I see it. Thank you, I just didn't look hard enough,
    Signed,
    me

    "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
    > There should be a "Go to my Support" link somewhere on the page.
    >
    > "me" <anonymous@_.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for your speedy reply. I did as you suggested and the site did
    > > recognize the SN but I didn't find the list, I may not be seeing it, can
    > > you
    > > tell me where to look for it?
    > > Signed,
    > > me
    > >
    > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >> You can try using the serial number at support.gateway.com - if that
    > >> doesn't bring up a list, you'll have to open the system and visually
    > >> inspect each component for its Gateway part number (usually on a
    > >> dot-matrix sticker affixed to each part) and then look up the details.

    > > install. I
    > > everything
    > > question.

Gateway Computers