NV Silencer 3: worth getting?

The fan on my eVGA 5900XT bit the dust recently. Currently I have a
copper Thermaltake GF4 cooler on it--yes, it fits, and what's more, it
actually outperforms the stock cooler by a bit--but it's LOUD. It makes
an awful high-pitched whine that's audible over all the other fans in my
case.

So I'm considering getting the NV Silencer 3 from Arctic Cooling. It's
a little pricey, but if it's as quiet as it claims to be, then it's a
small price to pay for my sanity. Anyone here have experience with this
series of coolers?

I haven't used the NV Silencer 3, but I have an NV Silencer 5 on my 6800 GT.
It's inaudible over the case fans. (My case fans are low RPM 120 mm ones, so
they're fairly quiet, but not silent.)

My card is from PNY, and reportedly identical to the nVidia reference
design. Its stock cooling had separate mounts to the core and memory chips.
The NV 5 used a single piece of copper, but fortunately it fit perfectly on
my card. (The Arctic Cooling instructions say to use more heat sink compound
on the core to fill any gap, but that's not an ideal solution.) I mention
this in case the NV 3 is similar.

I used a little Arctic Silver 5 on the core. (I used a dielectric compound
sold under the Coolermaster name on the memory chips.) With the NV 5, the
peak core temperature was lowered by roughly 10C compared to the stock
cooler.

HTH.

"Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote in message
> The fan on my eVGA 5900XT bit the dust recently. Currently I have a
> copper Thermaltake GF4 cooler on it--yes, it fits, and what's more, it
> actually outperforms the stock cooler by a bit--but it's LOUD. It makes
> an awful high-pitched whine that's audible over all the other fans in my
> case.
>
> So I'm considering getting the NV Silencer 3 from Arctic Cooling. It's a
> little pricey, but if it's as quiet as it claims to be, then it's a small
> price to pay for my sanity. Anyone here have experience with this series
> of coolers?

Bob,

What temp is your 6800 core running at?

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I haven't used the NV Silencer 3, but I have an NV Silencer 5 on my 6800
>GT. It's inaudible over the case fans. (My case fans are low RPM 120 mm
>ones, so they're fairly quiet, but not silent.)
>
> My card is from PNY, and reportedly identical to the nVidia reference
> design. Its stock cooling had separate mounts to the core and memory
> chips. The NV 5 used a single piece of copper, but fortunately it fit
> perfectly on my card. (The Arctic Cooling instructions say to use more
> heat sink compound on the core to fill any gap, but that's not an ideal
> solution.) I mention this in case the NV 3 is similar.
>
> I used a little Arctic Silver 5 on the core. (I used a dielectric compound
> sold under the Coolermaster name on the memory chips.) With the NV 5, the
> peak core temperature was lowered by roughly 10C compared to the stock
> cooler.
>
> HTH.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote in message
>> The fan on my eVGA 5900XT bit the dust recently. Currently I have a
>> copper Thermaltake GF4 cooler on it--yes, it fits, and what's more, it
>> actually outperforms the stock cooler by a bit--but it's LOUD. It makes
>> an awful high-pitched whine that's audible over all the other fans in my
>> case.
>>
>> So I'm considering getting the NV Silencer 3 from Arctic Cooling. It's a
>> little pricey, but if it's as quiet as it claims to be, then it's a small
>> price to pay for my sanity. Anyone here have experience with this series
>> of coolers?

I've got the NV3 built on my Leadtek 5900 XT.
I just can say. very good!
I can't hear anything and the card is working fine at 450/900!

Lachoneus wrote:
> The fan on my eVGA 5900XT bit the dust recently. Currently I have a
> copper Thermaltake GF4 cooler on it--yes, it fits, and what's more, it
> actually outperforms the stock cooler by a bit--but it's LOUD. It
> makes an awful high-pitched whine that's audible over all the other
> fans in my case.
>
> So I'm considering getting the NV Silencer 3 from Arctic Cooling. It's a
> little pricey, but if it's as quiet as it claims to be, then
> it's a small price to pay for my sanity. Anyone here have experience
> with this series of coolers?

Fwiw,

I use the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer 2 on my Radeon 9800 Pro.
It is very quiet, I applied it with a dab of Arctic Silver3, and it
overclocks very well.

--
Don Burnette

> Bob,
>
> What temp is your 6800 core running at?

(snip)

Not especially low: 58 C at idle, with a room temperature near 22 C. If I
run the RTHDRIBL demo (in a window) for a while, the core temperature will
creep up towards 80 C. (The card is set to throttle at 120C, but I've never
gotten near that. I tend to get lockups long before that temperature is
reached.)

This is with the core frequency set to 410 MHz, and the memory set to 1100
MHz. (I haven't modified the stock BIOS to raise the core voltage.) It can
be pushed farther, but I like to keep a notch or two below the ragged edge.
(I've gotten it to complete all the Futuremark benchmarks at 420/1150.) I
must not be a dedicated overclocker, because I'm satisfied with this.

JTS

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> Bob,
>>
>> What temp is your 6800 core running at?
>>
> (snip)
>
> Not especially low: 58 C at idle, with a room temperature near 22 C.

That's a little warm for that room temp. Check case air flow and/or make
sure that NV5 is on right. You ought to be getting about 50 C.

> If I run the RTHDRIBL demo (in a window) for a while, the core temperature
> will creep up towards 80 C. (The card is set to throttle at 120C, but I've
> never gotten near that. I tend to get lockups long before that temperature
> is reached.)
>
> This is with the core frequency set to 410 MHz, and the memory set to 1100
> MHz. (I haven't modified the stock BIOS to raise the core voltage.) It can
> be pushed farther, but I like to keep a notch or two below the ragged
> edge. (I've gotten it to complete all the Futuremark benchmarks at
> 420/1150.) I must not be a dedicated overclocker, because I'm satisfied
> with this.

Expert

No, the cap on the GPU is concave in most cases and needs to be lapped. I
have seen three different FX cards with this problem. The heat sink does
not make good contact with the cpu. A lapped copper 1u cooler on a lapped
GPU cap does a world of good. A little work but cheaper and better solution
than NV Silencer 3. The 1u cooler can be mounted to fit the four holes
around the GPU on the card.

Here is what I did.
The copper 1u cooler is a startech from gateway at $10.95.
http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/PC+Components_316805/Computer+Cooling_375500/1991606_ProdDetail
The screws and bolts I picked up form a local hardware store (Ace Hardware)
used steel screws 2.5mm with plastic washers and the springs were from some
latched push pins from a old VGA heat sink. I placed the springs between
the two washers on the heat sink side and bolted the heat sink in place. I
used two plastic washers on the backside of the GPU. I had to cut out the
holes on the heat sink with a dremel because they were about millimeter off
center but very close. The heat sink and GPU cap were both lapped. I
placed a 80 x 80 mm fan over the heat sink using sheet metal screws through
the fins of the heat sinks on the memory and the heat sink on the GPU as
noise was not an issue. I am sure that you could use a smaller fan 40 x 40
fan for less noise. I used distilled water for clean up as it is
nonconductive. This set up cost ~ $15.00 dollars and dropped my GPU (stock
heat sink) temperatures ~15°C to 20°C from 55°C to 36°C idle the best I can
tell it ~43°C under load. BTW I have a EVGA 5900SE. The best OC is 450 Mhz
very stable at 430 Mhz. Memory will OC to 900 Mhz very stable at 880 Mhz.
I use a modified BIOS from DrInfern0.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85394&perpage=1

I need a better PSU as my current unit will only supply 18 amps on the 12v
line. The GPU will most likely OC higher than 450 Mhz but the PSU will not
supply the amps necessary for my current system. Did the math and just not
enough amps for the system at the current power draw. I am looking to get a
550W PSU to correct this problem.

"Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote in message
> The fan on my eVGA 5900XT bit the dust recently. Currently I have a
> copper Thermaltake GF4 cooler on it--yes, it fits, and what's more, it
> actually outperforms the stock cooler by a bit--but it's LOUD. It makes
> an awful high-pitched whine that's audible over all the other fans in my
> case.
>
> So I'm considering getting the NV Silencer 3 from Arctic Cooling. It's a
> little pricey, but if it's as quiet as it claims to be, then it's a small
> price to pay for my sanity. Anyone here have experience with this series
> of coolers?

TRENDING THREADS