GeForce 2 MX400

Is there a problem with this card and WinXP? I am unable to "pass" the
directx9 test with the card and with either the windows generic XP NVIDIA
driver or the 61.77 drivers. I can't get two of my grandson's games to work
either - MS Train Sim and Finding Nemo. The video display when these
programs start is the same as the video during the directx9 test which
displays about 7 vertical "screens" across the monitor. I have directx 9c
(SP2).

Chuck

"For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
is for good men to do nothing."
More about geforce mx400

    GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    before DX9 was available.

    --
    DaveW

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:22:23 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    >before DX9 was available.

    Why do speak of what you do not know? Of course we all know it
    does not support DX9, or DX8 shader effects, but even an Nvidia TnT,
    or ATI Rage 128 will run the DirectX 8, and 9 test. I know of a few
    programs that need DX9 installed, but only require a GF2, or higher to
    run.

    The readme for the 61.77 drivers indicated that they were dx9 compatible. So
    I guess my question at this point is: Is the compatibility a hardware or
    software issue? If it's a software issue shouldn't the drivers fix that?
    Also, I wasn't aware that MS Train Sim or Finding Nemo were dx9 required as
    they both predate dx9.?!

    > GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    > before DX9 was available.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> Is there a problem with this card and WinXP? I am unable to "pass" the
    >> directx9 test with the card and with either the windows generic XP NVIDIA
    >> driver or the 61.77 drivers. I can't get two of my grandson's games to
    >> work either - MS Train Sim and Finding Nemo. The video display when these
    >> programs start is the same as the video during the directx9 test which
    >> displays about 7 vertical "screens" across the monitor. I have directx 9c
    >> (SP2).
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."

    The driver from nVidia [latest] do support DX9.0C but the hardware is
    limited DX7. You can install DirectX9.0C and future DX version for game or
    app ... etc that require it to run and your GeForce2 MX400 will run fine but
    when DX9 instruction will fail or see abnormal display / image etc... Latest
    Driver [software] from nVidia do support DirectX9 but hardware do not fully
    supported. DirectX9 also include previous version of DX series.

    CapFusion,...

    > The readme for the 61.77 drivers indicated that they were dx9 compatible.
    > So I guess my question at this point is: Is the compatibility a hardware
    > or software issue? If it's a software issue shouldn't the drivers fix
    > that? Also, I wasn't aware that MS Train Sim or Finding Nemo were dx9
    > required as they both predate dx9.?!

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >> GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    >> before DX9 was available.
    >>
    >> --
    >> DaveW
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a problem with this card and WinXP? I am unable to "pass" the
    >>> directx9 test with the card and with either the windows generic XP
    >>> NVIDIA driver or the 61.77 drivers. I can't get two of my grandson's
    >>> games to work either - MS Train Sim and Finding Nemo. The video display
    >>> when these programs start is the same as the video during the directx9
    >>> test which displays about 7 vertical "screens" across the monitor. I
    >>> have directx 9c (SP2).
    >>>
    >>> Chuck
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************

    Well, that sort of reinforces my thoughts that the issue of non-working
    games might be hardware related. Any suggestions as to which video card
    might be a good one to get?

    "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    > The driver from nVidia [latest] do support DX9.0C but the hardware is
    > limited DX7. You can install DirectX9.0C and future DX version for game or
    > app ... etc that require it to run and your GeForce2 MX400 will run fine
    > but when DX9 instruction will fail or see abnormal display / image etc...
    > Latest Driver [software] from nVidia do support DirectX9 but hardware do
    > not fully supported. DirectX9 also include previous version of DX series.
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> The readme for the 61.77 drivers indicated that they were dx9 compatible.
    >> So I guess my question at this point is: Is the compatibility a hardware
    >> or software issue? If it's a software issue shouldn't the drivers fix
    >> that? Also, I wasn't aware that MS Train Sim or Finding Nemo were dx9
    >> required as they both predate dx9.?!

    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>
    >> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >>> GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    >>> before DX9 was available.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> DaveW
    >>>

    >>> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message

    You can look at this link of which card support which version of DX
    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html

    CapFusion,...

    DaveW wrote:
    > GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    > before DX9 was available.

    Original poster -- DaveW is an idiot, ignore him at all cost.

    The GF2 series has DX9 compatible drivers, however the card does not
    have any DX9 specific features. DX9 itself is backwards compatible with
    any earlier version of the API, so DX9 contains features specific to
    the DX8, 7, 6, 5, etc. specifications.

    Your card should pass the DXDiag test and if you're using WHQL drivers,
    MS Certifcation tests too. However benchmarks like 3DMark2003/5 will
    not score or score very low any DX9 specific tests.

    It's possible to use software HAL rendering for features not supported
    in hardware or by the CAPS variable. It will be accelerated, but
    calculated on the CPU instead of a GPU register. This is known as
    D3DHAL (hardware abstraction layer).

    Well, unfortunately, the card doesn't pass the directx9 test in dxdiag and
    two games show the same video corruption problem when attempting to run
    them. DX9 may contain features of prior directx versions, but unfortunately,
    it appears that once DX9 is on the system, certain games that don't require
    dx9 still don't work.

    "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
    > DaveW wrote:
    >> GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    >> before DX9 was available.
    >>

    > Original poster -- DaveW is an idiot, ignore him at all cost.
    >
    > The GF2 series has DX9 compatible drivers, however the card does not have
    > any DX9 specific features. DX9 itself is backwards compatible with any
    > earlier version of the API, so DX9 contains features specific to the DX8,
    > 7, 6, 5, etc. specifications.
    >
    > Your card should pass the DXDiag test and if you're using WHQL drivers, MS
    > Certifcation tests too. However benchmarks like 3DMark2003/5 will not
    > score or score very low any DX9 specific tests.
    >
    > It's possible to use software HAL rendering for features not supported in
    > hardware or by the CAPS variable. It will be accelerated, but calculated
    > on the CPU instead of a GPU register. This is known as D3DHAL (hardware
    > abstraction layer).

    From Display Properties in Setting, what device listing?
    What Windows OS are you running on?
    If you are running on Windows XP and use XP own driver, you will need to
    uninstall and reinstall with nVidia driver -
    http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    Select Graphic Driver > GeForce and TNT2 > Select your OS.

    After driver installed, you can also try to reinstall DX9.
    Check Hardware Acceleration is set to Full.
    From Display Properties > Setting > Advanced > Troubleshoot.

    CapFusion,...

    > Well, unfortunately, the card doesn't pass the directx9 test in dxdiag and
    > two games show the same video corruption problem when attempting to run
    > them. DX9 may contain features of prior directx versions, but
    > unfortunately, it appears that once DX9 is on the system, certain games
    > that don't require dx9 still don't work.

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
    >> DaveW wrote:
    >>> GF2 video cards are NOT DX9 capable. That card was designed and built
    >>> before DX9 was available.
    >>>

    >> Original poster -- DaveW is an idiot, ignore him at all cost.
    >>
    >> The GF2 series has DX9 compatible drivers, however the card does not have
    >> any DX9 specific features. DX9 itself is backwards compatible with any
    >> earlier version of the API, so DX9 contains features specific to the DX8,
    >> 7, 6, 5, etc. specifications.
    >>
    >> Your card should pass the DXDiag test and if you're using WHQL drivers,
    >> MS Certifcation tests too. However benchmarks like 3DMark2003/5 will not
    >> score or score very low any DX9 specific tests.
    >>
    >> It's possible to use software HAL rendering for features not supported in
    >> hardware or by the CAPS variable. It will be accelerated, but calculated
    >> on the CPU instead of a GPU register. This is known as D3DHAL (hardware
    >> abstraction layer).

    I'm using XP. The device is correct in the display properties dialog. I had
    the 61.77 drivers installed, but they didn't work either. I'm now using the
    drivers that were loaded with SP2. I'm going to try the 61.76 drivers, but I
    have a feeling that isn't going to help. My hardware acceleration is at
    full. I haven't attempted to reinstall DX9; dxdiag indicates that there's no
    problem with the install!

    > From Display Properties in Setting, what device listing?
    > What Windows OS are you running on?
    > If you are running on Windows XP and use XP own driver, you will need to
    > uninstall and reinstall with nVidia driver -
    > http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    > Select Graphic Driver > GeForce and TNT2 > Select your OS.
    >
    > After driver installed, you can also try to reinstall DX9.
    > Check Hardware Acceleration is set to Full.
    > From Display Properties > Setting > Advanced > Troubleshoot.
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> Well, unfortunately, the card doesn't pass the directx9 test in dxdiag
    >> and two games show the same video corruption problem when attempting to
    >> run them. DX9 may contain features of prior directx versions, but
    >> unfortunately, it appears that once DX9 is on the system, certain games
    >> that don't require dx9 still don't work.

    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>
    >> "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Original poster -- DaveW is an idiot, ignore him at all cost.
    >>>
    >>> The GF2 series has DX9 compatible drivers, however the card does not
    >>> have any DX9 specific features. DX9 itself is backwards compatible with
    >>> any earlier version of the API, so DX9 contains features specific to the
    >>> DX8, 7, 6, 5, etc. specifications.
    >>>
    >>> Your card should pass the DXDiag test and if you're using WHQL drivers,
    >>> MS Certifcation tests too. However benchmarks like 3DMark2003/5 will
    >>> not score or score very low any DX9 specific tests.
    >>>
    >>> It's possible to use software HAL rendering for features not supported
    >>> in hardware or by the CAPS variable. It will be accelerated, but
    >>> calculated on the CPU instead of a GPU register. This is known as
    >>> D3DHAL (hardware abstraction layer).

    What your status after uninstall and reinstall the nVidia driver?

    CapFusion,...

    > I'm using XP. The device is correct in the display properties dialog. I
    > had the 61.77 drivers installed, but they didn't work either. I'm now
    > using the drivers that were loaded with SP2. I'm going to try the 61.76
    > drivers, but I have a feeling that isn't going to help. My hardware
    > acceleration is at full. I haven't attempted to reinstall DX9; dxdiag
    > indicates that there's no problem with the install!

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> From Display Properties in Setting, what device listing?
    >> What Windows OS are you running on?
    >> If you are running on Windows XP and use XP own driver, you will need to
    >> uninstall and reinstall with nVidia driver -
    >> http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    >> Select Graphic Driver > GeForce and TNT2 > Select your OS.
    >>
    >> After driver installed, you can also try to reinstall DX9.
    >> Check Hardware Acceleration is set to Full.
    >> From Display Properties > Setting > Advanced > Troubleshoot.
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> Well, unfortunately, the card doesn't pass the directx9 test in dxdiag
    >>> and two games show the same video corruption problem when attempting to
    >>> run them. DX9 may contain features of prior directx versions, but
    >>> unfortunately, it appears that once DX9 is on the system, certain games
    >>> that don't require dx9 still don't work.

    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    No change. I installed the 61.76 drivers after getting no relief with the
    61.77 drivers. My system still fails the dx9 test in dxdiag and my
    grandson's two games still have the same video problem. I think my
    son-in-law has the same video card as I do but doesn't have dx9 installed.
    He's had no problem with the games. My next step is to swap cards with him
    to see if it's a hardware problem with my card.

    > What your status after uninstall and reinstall the nVidia driver?
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> I'm using XP. The device is correct in the display properties dialog. I
    >> had the 61.77 drivers installed, but they didn't work either. I'm now
    >> using the drivers that were loaded with SP2. I'm going to try the 61.76
    >> drivers, but I have a feeling that isn't going to help. My hardware
    >> acceleration is at full. I haven't attempted to reinstall DX9; dxdiag
    >> indicates that there's no problem with the install!

    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>
    >> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >>> From Display Properties in Setting, what device listing?
    >>> What Windows OS are you running on?
    >>> If you are running on Windows XP and use XP own driver, you will need to
    >>> uninstall and reinstall with nVidia driver -
    >>> http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    >>> Select Graphic Driver > GeForce and TNT2 > Select your OS.
    >>>
    >>> After driver installed, you can also try to reinstall DX9.
    >>> Check Hardware Acceleration is set to Full.
    >>> From Display Properties > Setting > Advanced > Troubleshoot.
    >>>
    >>> CapFusion,...
    >>>

    >>> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    You can try swapping card to determine if card is the issue. Other than
    swapping card, did you install driver / utilities for your mainboard?
    Also check to see if either the card connector [goldfinger] or the slot
    maybe dirty ....etc.

    CapFusion,....

    > No change. I installed the 61.76 drivers after getting no relief with the
    > 61.77 drivers. My system still fails the dx9 test in dxdiag and my
    > grandson's two games still have the same video problem. I think my
    > son-in-law has the same video card as I do but doesn't have dx9 installed.
    > He's had no problem with the games. My next step is to swap cards with him
    > to see if it's a hardware problem with my card.

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> What your status after uninstall and reinstall the nVidia driver?
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using XP. The device is correct in the display properties dialog. I
    >>> had the 61.77 drivers installed, but they didn't work either. I'm now
    >>> using the drivers that were loaded with SP2. I'm going to try the 61.76
    >>> drivers, but I have a feeling that isn't going to help. My hardware
    >>> acceleration is at full. I haven't attempted to reinstall DX9; dxdiag
    >>> indicates that there's no problem with the install!

    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:40:07 -0400, "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there>
    wrote:

    Apparently games like Diablo 2 won't run on dx9.
    directx is not part of the nvidia drivers, you can remove directx 9
    with a program and re-install dx8. Make sure you have dx8 install
    files before you do this. You'll probably have to re-install the
    video card nvidia drivers, any version 45.xx and after should be ok.

    A google for directx remove on the internet gives:

    http://www.zgodanet.nowytarg.pl/pliki/xpPOMOC/directx-dx9uninstaller.zip

    http://www.superfoxs.com/index.htm

    http://www.litepc.com/xplite/directx.htm

    >No change. I installed the 61.76 drivers after getting no relief with the
    >61.77 drivers. My system still fails the dx9 test in dxdiag and my
    >grandson's two games still have the same video problem. I think my
    >son-in-law has the same video card as I do but doesn't have dx9 installed.
    >He's had no problem with the games. My next step is to swap cards with him
    >to see if it's a hardware problem with my card.

    Sig:
    I have a brain the size of a planet. It's not much good to me, however. It's on a different planet.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I'm thinkin' the card is my problem. My son-in-law can run the two programs
    on his gateway which has an ATI Rage 128 VR video card and DX 9.0c. The card
    doesn't support dx9 but the programs still work since they only need dx8.
    The ATI card doesn't even do the dx9 test - the dxdiag program just says
    that the card doesn't support dx9 and won't run the test.

    His other system uses an NVidia 5200 w/128 ram and dx9.0b.

    I also noticed that both his cards have 128 MB ram; mine has 64 MB. This may
    be a factor as well, although I don't know enough about this stuff to be
    able to know for sure.

    "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    is for good men to do nothing."

    "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    > No change. I installed the 61.76 drivers after getting no relief with the
    > 61.77 drivers. My system still fails the dx9 test in dxdiag and my
    > grandson's two games still have the same video problem. I think my
    > son-in-law has the same video card as I do but doesn't have dx9 installed.
    > He's had no problem with the games. My next step is to swap cards with him
    > to see if it's a hardware problem with my card.

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> What your status after uninstall and reinstall the nVidia driver?
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using XP. The device is correct in the display properties dialog. I
    >>> had the 61.77 drivers installed, but they didn't work either. I'm now
    >>> using the drivers that were loaded with SP2. I'm going to try the 61.76
    >>> drivers, but I have a feeling that isn't going to help. My hardware
    >>> acceleration is at full. I haven't attempted to reinstall DX9; dxdiag
    >>> indicates that there's no problem with the install!

    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Having 64MB on your MX400 should not cause your DxDiag to fail the test. I
    have a old 32MB Trident 3DImage that does not complaint with DxDiag test.

    Please narrow the source down. Looking at your son-in-law PC that can play
    your two program does not mean your MX400 card on your PC is defective or
    not. To verify if your card is hardware or your PC O.S. is t he issue, you
    will need to have any one of those two card of his to your PC and see if the
    problem. Or trying your suspected card in his PC and see if the problem show
    up.

    Install all necessary driver of the chosen card to your PC and run the DX
    test.
    Check your display adapter to make sure it show the correct device. It
    should not show or indicate Standard VGA adapter or similar.

    CapFusion,...

    > I'm thinkin' the card is my problem. My son-in-law can run the two
    > programs on his gateway which has an ATI Rage 128 VR video card and DX
    > 9.0c. The card doesn't support dx9 but the programs still work since they
    > only need dx8. The ATI card doesn't even do the dx9 test - the dxdiag
    > program just says that the card doesn't support dx9 and won't run the
    > test.
    >
    > His other system uses an NVidia 5200 w/128 ram and dx9.0b.
    >
    > I also noticed that both his cards have 128 MB ram; mine has 64 MB. This
    > may be a factor as well, although I don't know enough about this stuff to
    > be able to know for sure.

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> No change. I installed the 61.76 drivers after getting no relief with the
    >> 61.77 drivers. My system still fails the dx9 test in dxdiag and my
    >> grandson's two games still have the same video problem. I think my
    >> son-in-law has the same video card as I do but doesn't have dx9
    >> installed. He's had no problem with the games. My next step is to swap
    >> cards with him to see if it's a hardware problem with my card.

    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>
    >> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >>> What your status after uninstall and reinstall the nVidia driver?
    >>>
    >>> CapFusion,...
    >>>

    >>> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2 installed.
    Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that with either
    card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard VGA is fine.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    > Having 64MB on your MX400 should not cause your DxDiag to fail the test. I
    > have a old 32MB Trident 3DImage that does not complaint with DxDiag test.
    >
    > Please narrow the source down. Looking at your son-in-law PC that can play
    > your two program does not mean your MX400 card on your PC is defective or
    > not. To verify if your card is hardware or your PC O.S. is t he issue, you
    > will need to have any one of those two card of his to your PC and see if
    > the problem. Or trying your suspected card in his PC and see if the
    > problem show up.
    >
    > Install all necessary driver of the chosen card to your PC and run the DX
    > test.
    > Check your display adapter to make sure it show the correct device. It
    > should not show or indicate Standard VGA adapter or similar.
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinkin' the card is my problem. My son-in-law can run the two
    >> programs on his gateway which has an ATI Rage 128 VR video card and DX
    >> 9.0c. The card doesn't support dx9 but the programs still work since they
    >> only need dx8. The ATI card doesn't even do the dx9 test - the dxdiag
    >> program just says that the card doesn't support dx9 and won't run the
    >> test.
    >>
    >> His other system uses an NVidia 5200 w/128 ram and dx9.0b.
    >>
    >> I also noticed that both his cards have 128 MB ram; mine has 64 MB. This
    >> may be a factor as well, although I don't know enough about this stuff to
    >> be able to know for sure.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>
    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> No change. I installed the 61.76 drivers after getting no relief with
    >>> the 61.77 drivers. My system still fails the dx9 test in dxdiag and my
    >>> grandson's two games still have the same video problem. I think my
    >>> son-in-law has the same video card as I do but doesn't have dx9
    >>> installed. He's had no problem with the games. My next step is to swap
    >>> cards with him to see if it's a hardware problem with my card.

    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:02:20 -0500, "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there>
    wrote:

    >Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    >failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    >and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2 installed.
    >Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that with either
    >card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard VGA is fine.
    >
    >Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    >Chuck

    First thing I'd do is use DriverCleaner to remove all previous
    drivers from your system. Then make sure you have the latest chipset
    driver for your motherboard installed correctly. Then install the
    latest Nvidia video driver. If it still fails, then it may be time for
    a full format, and reinstall of the entire OS. That's how I fix my
    problems when they crop up. :)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    As Chuck stated / suggestion.
    Something about your OS might be causing this problem.

    CapFusion,...

    > Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    > failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    > and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2
    > installed. Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that
    > with either card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard
    > VGA is fine.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> Having 64MB on your MX400 should not cause your DxDiag to fail the test.
    >> I have a old 32MB Trident 3DImage that does not complaint with DxDiag
    >> test.
    >>
    >> Please narrow the source down. Looking at your son-in-law PC that can
    >> play your two program does not mean your MX400 card on your PC is
    >> defective or not. To verify if your card is hardware or your PC O.S. is t
    >> he issue, you will need to have any one of those two card of his to your
    >> PC and see if the problem. Or trying your suspected card in his PC and
    >> see if the problem show up.
    >>
    >> Install all necessary driver of the chosen card to your PC and run the DX
    >> test.
    >> Check your display adapter to make sure it show the correct device. It
    >> should not show or indicate Standard VGA adapter or similar.
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinkin' the card is my problem. My son-in-law can run the two
    >>> programs on his gateway which has an ATI Rage 128 VR video card and DX
    >>> 9.0c. The card doesn't support dx9 but the programs still work since
    >>> they only need dx8. The ATI card doesn't even do the dx9 test - the
    >>> dxdiag program just says that the card doesn't support dx9 and won't run
    >>> the test.
    >>>
    >>> His other system uses an NVidia 5200 w/128 ram and dx9.0b.
    >>>
    >>> I also noticed that both his cards have 128 MB ram; mine has 64 MB. This
    >>> may be a factor as well, although I don't know enough about this stuff
    >>> to be able to know for sure.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I've updated the bios, but no change. Haven't run driver cleaner yet. I
    might install both of the games that don't work onto my Toshiba laptop to
    see if it works there first. It has the same OS and is at SP2 level, but
    without a lot of the other stuff that's loaded on the desktop.

    ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    hard things that the general population are incapable
    of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    It's called being a soldier."
    > As Chuck stated / suggestion.
    > Something about your OS might be causing this problem.
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    >> failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    >> and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2
    >> installed. Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that
    >> with either card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard
    >> VGA is fine.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> --
    >> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>
    >> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >>> Having 64MB on your MX400 should not cause your DxDiag to fail the test.
    >>> I have a old 32MB Trident 3DImage that does not complaint with DxDiag
    >>> test.
    >>>
    >>> Please narrow the source down. Looking at your son-in-law PC that can
    >>> play your two program does not mean your MX400 card on your PC is
    >>> defective or not. To verify if your card is hardware or your PC O.S. is
    >>> t he issue, you will need to have any one of those two card of his to
    >>> your PC and see if the problem. Or trying your suspected card in his PC
    >>> and see if the problem show up.
    >>>
    >>> Install all necessary driver of the chosen card to your PC and run the
    >>> DX test.
    >>> Check your display adapter to make sure it show the correct device. It
    >>> should not show or indicate Standard VGA adapter or similar.
    >>>
    >>> CapFusion,...
    >>>

    >>> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    SP2 - Firewall is enable as default. Try to disable it to see if it will
    start.

    CapFusion,...

    > I've updated the bios, but no change. Haven't run driver cleaner yet. I
    > might install both of the games that don't work onto my Toshiba laptop to
    > see if it works there first. It has the same OS and is at SP2 level, but
    > without a lot of the other stuff that's loaded on the desktop.

    > ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    > men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    > hard things that the general population are incapable
    > of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    > It's called being a soldier."
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> As Chuck stated / suggestion.
    >> Something about your OS might be causing this problem.
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC.
    >>> Still failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play
    >>> properly and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce
    >>> 2 installed. Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover
    >>> that with either card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution.
    >>> Standard VGA is fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Chuck
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Try installing the chipset (mobo) AGP drivers. It sounds like they're
    not installed.

    Chuck McGarigle wrote:
    > Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    > failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    > and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2 installed.
    > Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that with either
    > card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard VGA is fine.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    4
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    There are no special AGP drivers that I am aware of for my motherboard.
    Everything that is supposed to work on my system works with the exception of
    the two games I've been attempting to get playable for my grandson (MS Train
    Sim and Finding Nemo). None of the diagnostic programs I've run indicate any
    issue with the AGP slot.

    As an experiment, I loaded MS Train Sim onto my Toshiba laptop and it worked
    as advertised which indicates to me that there's a driver or other software
    problem affecting certain programs on my desktop.

    "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try installing the chipset (mobo) AGP drivers. It sounds like they're not
    > installed.
    >

    > Chuck McGarigle wrote:
    >> Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    >> failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    >> and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2
    >> installed. Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that
    >> with either card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard
    >> VGA is fine.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>
    > 4
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    It really hard to say what the source is. But it does sound like GART is not
    working or not install or something wrong with it.GART is related to AGP
    which is need for your mainboard to work correctly. If you have like VIA
    type of mainboard, you will need to install mainboard driver [4in1 driver].

    DiagDX test fail normally cause by either following [beside hardware
    failure] -
    Video Card driver
    Video Card driver corruption
    Mainboard AGP [GART] driver not install or corruption

    Using an old video card and running the latest DX9C still will be ok.
    Since you have SP2, try to uninstall and see if it will work.

    CapFusion,...

    > There are no special AGP drivers that I am aware of for my motherboard.
    > Everything that is supposed to work on my system works with the exception
    > of the two games I've been attempting to get playable for my grandson (MS
    > Train Sim and Finding Nemo). None of the diagnostic programs I've run
    > indicate any issue with the AGP slot.
    >
    > As an experiment, I loaded MS Train Sim onto my Toshiba laptop and it
    > worked as advertised which indicates to me that there's a driver or other
    > software problem affecting certain programs on my desktop.

    > ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    > men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    > hard things that the general population are incapable
    > of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    > It's called being a soldier."
    > "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Try installing the chipset (mobo) AGP drivers. It sounds like they're not
    >> installed.
    >>

    >> Chuck McGarigle wrote:
    >>> Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC.
    >>> Still failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play
    >>> properly and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce
    >>> 2 installed. Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover
    >>> that with either card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution.
    >>> Standard VGA is fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Chuck
    >>>
    >> 4

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I double-checked the software that came with the motherboard, and there's
    nothing related to the AGP slot or any drivers needed for it to be
    "activated". The only discussion in the manual relates to the fact that the
    video card has to be either +0.8V OR +1.5V. I have no way of knowing whether
    the Geforce 2 MX400 meets either of those requirements as I have no
    reference manual for the card. My MoBo is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. Is there
    any way to test whether the AGP slot is working properly??

    Chuck

    > It really hard to say what the source is. But it does sound like GART is
    > not working or not install or something wrong with it.GART is related to
    > AGP which is need for your mainboard to work correctly. If you have like
    > VIA type of mainboard, you will need to install mainboard driver [4in1
    > driver].
    >
    > DiagDX test fail normally cause by either following [beside hardware
    > failure] -
    > Video Card driver
    > Video Card driver corruption
    > Mainboard AGP [GART] driver not install or corruption
    >
    > Using an old video card and running the latest DX9C still will be ok.
    > Since you have SP2, try to uninstall and see if it will work.
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >> There are no special AGP drivers that I am aware of for my motherboard.
    >> Everything that is supposed to work on my system works with the exception
    >> of the two games I've been attempting to get playable for my grandson (MS
    >> Train Sim and Finding Nemo). None of the diagnostic programs I've run
    >> indicate any issue with the AGP slot.
    >>
    >> As an experiment, I loaded MS Train Sim onto my Toshiba laptop and it
    >> worked as advertised which indicates to me that there's a driver or other
    >> software problem affecting certain programs on my desktop.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    >> men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    >> hard things that the general population are incapable
    >> of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    >> It's called being a soldier."
    >> "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Try installing the chipset (mobo) AGP drivers. It sounds like they're
    >>> not installed.

    >>> 4

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Generally, GeForce2 MX type should normally be 1.5V.
    Beside using DXDiag tool, I do not recall any off-hand.
    Double check on the "Hardware acceleration" is set to full" and try testing
    to see if enable or disable "...write combing" have any differences.
    Next is to set AGP aperture size from the BIOS of the mainboard to 64MB or
    128MB to see if that will make any differences.

    Try again to unstall nVidia driver from Safemode and reinstall again to see
    if any change / differences.
    Do you have any card next to the AGP slot? If there is, try moving it down a
    slot like PCI#2 or so.

    CapFusion,...

    >I double-checked the software that came with the motherboard, and there's
    >nothing related to the AGP slot or any drivers needed for it to be
    >"activated". The only discussion in the manual relates to the fact that the
    >video card has to be either +0.8V OR +1.5V. I have no way of knowing
    >whether the Geforce 2 MX400 meets either of those requirements as I have no
    >reference manual for the card. My MoBo is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. Is there
    >any way to test whether the AGP slot is working properly??
    >
    > Chuck

    > ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    > men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    > hard things that the general population are incapable
    > of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    > It's called being a soldier."
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> It really hard to say what the source is. But it does sound like GART is
    >> not working or not install or something wrong with it.GART is related to
    >> AGP which is need for your mainboard to work correctly. If you have like
    >> VIA type of mainboard, you will need to install mainboard driver [4in1
    >> driver].
    >>
    >> DiagDX test fail normally cause by either following [beside hardware
    >> failure] -
    >> Video Card driver
    >> Video Card driver corruption
    >> Mainboard AGP [GART] driver not install or corruption
    >>
    >> Using an old video card and running the latest DX9C still will be ok.
    >> Since you have SP2, try to uninstall and see if it will work.
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> There are no special AGP drivers that I am aware of for my motherboard.
    >>> Everything that is supposed to work on my system works with the
    >>> exception of the two games I've been attempting to get playable for my
    >>> grandson (MS Train Sim and Finding Nemo). None of the diagnostic
    >>> programs I've run indicate any issue with the AGP slot.
    >>>
    >>> As an experiment, I loaded MS Train Sim onto my Toshiba laptop and it
    >>> worked as advertised which indicates to me that there's a driver or
    >>> other software problem affecting certain programs on my desktop.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> *******************************************
    >>> ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    >>> men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    >>> hard things that the general population are incapable
    >>> of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    >>> It's called being a soldier."
    >>> *******************************************
    >>> "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Chuck McGarigle wrote:
    > There are no special AGP drivers that I am aware of for my motherboard.
    > Everything that is supposed to work on my system works with the exception of
    > the two games I've been attempting to get playable for my grandson (MS Train
    > Sim and Finding Nemo). None of the diagnostic programs I've run indicate any
    > issue with the AGP slot.
    >
    > As an experiment, I loaded MS Train Sim onto my Toshiba laptop and it worked
    > as advertised which indicates to me that there's a driver or other software
    > problem affecting certain programs on my desktop.

    Did you say you saw 7 vertical screens during the DX test? Some monitors
    go to standby when the refresh rate is too high, other display multiple
    weird images.

    It would appear that your refresh rate setting is too high for the
    monitor at whatever resolution you're running at. You could check to see
    whether your monitor is detected correcly ( you may need to download the
    monitor profile INF file from the manufacturer's website ).

    If you have yer monitor set up as a Standard VGA monitor, then lower yer
    refresh rate to 60 Hz and work your way upwards until you find the
    highest one it works at.

    Good luck.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    OK, let's see if I can get through all these suggestions.

    1. Dxdiag does show AGP Texture Acceleration as Enabled
    2. At some point during my troubleshooting I did disable "write combining";
    I don't remember exactly what happened, but it wasn't good, so I turned it
    back on.
    3. Hardware Acceleration is at high
    4. Haven't tried changing the aperture size yet
    5. Haven't used driver cleaner yet: although I did uninstall and reinstall
    the video drivers about a week ago with no change.
    6. Refresh rate is currently set at 60 Hz. I've played around with various
    refresh rates and only managed to garble the screen. It almost seems that
    the video refresh rate is stuck at 60 Hz. I have an old monitor that I can't
    find an inf file for (Kenitec). I'm going to borrow a newer monitor and see
    if that changes anything.
    7. Uninstalling SP2 is my LAST resort. Since everything else on the PC is
    running OK, that just seems to be overkill for two games that won't display
    properly.

    > Chuck McGarigle wrote:
    >> There are no special AGP drivers that I am aware of for my motherboard.
    >> Everything that is supposed to work on my system works with the exception
    >> of the two games I've been attempting to get playable for my grandson (MS
    >> Train Sim and Finding Nemo). None of the diagnostic programs I've run
    >> indicate any issue with the AGP slot.
    >>
    >> As an experiment, I loaded MS Train Sim onto my Toshiba laptop and it
    >> worked as advertised which indicates to me that there's a driver or other
    >> software problem affecting certain programs on my desktop.
    >>
    > Did you say you saw 7 vertical screens during the DX test? Some monitors
    > go to standby when the refresh rate is too high, other display multiple
    > weird images.
    >
    > It would appear that your refresh rate setting is too high for the monitor
    > at whatever resolution you're running at. You could check to see whether
    > your monitor is detected correcly ( you may need to download the monitor
    > profile INF file from the manufacturer's website ).
    >
    > If you have yer monitor set up as a Standard VGA monitor, then lower yer
    > refresh rate to 60 Hz and work your way upwards until you find the highest
    > one it works at.
    >
    > Good luck.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In DXDiag does it say "AGP Texture Acceleration" and next to it
    "Enabled" on the Direct3D screen? If it doesn't say "Enabled," you're
    AGP GART isn't setup correctly or you installed DX9 drivers for the same
    graphics card after installing DX9. Sometimes this messes it up.

    Chuck McGarigle wrote:

    > I double-checked the software that came with the motherboard, and there's
    > nothing related to the AGP slot or any drivers needed for it to be
    > "activated". The only discussion in the manual relates to the fact that the
    > video card has to be either +0.8V OR +1.5V. I have no way of knowing whether
    > the Geforce 2 MX400 meets either of those requirements as I have no
    > reference manual for the card. My MoBo is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. Is there
    > any way to test whether the AGP slot is working properly??
    >
    > Chuck

  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thanks all for your many suggestions. As it turns out, it was my monitor. As
    soon as I connected a newer model (Gateway EV700) to my video card I was
    able to get my grandson's games to display properly (MS Train sim and
    Finding Nemo). Not sure what the issue was, but all appears to be working as
    advertised at this time. Now all I need to do is buy a new monitor.

    Chuck
    ". . . it's ironic that when it comes down to it - that it's
    men of a rough persuasion who have to do all the
    hard things that the general population are incapable
    of doing, and then the general population disowns them.
    It's called being a soldier."
    "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    > Just got done playing around with the FX5600. Didn't work on my PC. Still
    > failed the dx9 test, and the same two games still failed to play properly
    > and displayed the same video problem as when I had the Geforce 2
    > installed. Back to GeForce 2. Problems still exist. I did discover that
    > with either card, I am unable to switch to 800X600 resolution. Standard
    > VGA is fine.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    > "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    > is for good men to do nothing."
    >
    > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
    >> Having 64MB on your MX400 should not cause your DxDiag to fail the test.
    >> I have a old 32MB Trident 3DImage that does not complaint with DxDiag
    >> test.
    >>
    >> Please narrow the source down. Looking at your son-in-law PC that can
    >> play your two program does not mean your MX400 card on your PC is
    >> defective or not. To verify if your card is hardware or your PC O.S. is t
    >> he issue, you will need to have any one of those two card of his to your
    >> PC and see if the problem. Or trying your suspected card in his PC and
    >> see if the problem show up.
    >>
    >> Install all necessary driver of the chosen card to your PC and run the DX
    >> test.
    >> Check your display adapter to make sure it show the correct device. It
    >> should not show or indicate Standard VGA adapter or similar.
    >>
    >> CapFusion,...
    >>

    >> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinkin' the card is my problem. My son-in-law can run the two
    >>> programs on his gateway which has an ATI Rage 128 VR video card and DX
    >>> 9.0c. The card doesn't support dx9 but the programs still work since
    >>> they only need dx8. The ATI card doesn't even do the dx9 test - the
    >>> dxdiag program just says that the card doesn't support dx9 and won't run
    >>> the test.
    >>>
    >>> His other system uses an NVidia 5200 w/128 ram and dx9.0b.
    >>>
    >>> I also noticed that both his cards have 128 MB ram; mine has 64 MB. This
    >>> may be a factor as well, although I don't know enough about this stuff
    >>> to be able to know for sure.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary
    >>> is for good men to do nothing."
    >>> ***********************************************
    >>>
    >>> "Chuck McGarigle" <Me@Here.there> wrote in message

  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Chuck McGarigle wrote:
    > Is there a problem with this card and WinXP? I am unable to "pass" the
    > directx9 test with the card and with either the windows generic XP NVIDIA
    > driver or the 61.77 drivers. I can't get two of my grandson's games to work
    > either - MS Train Sim and Finding Nemo. The video display when these
    > programs start is the same as the video during the directx9 test which
    > displays about 7 vertical "screens" across the monitor. I have directx 9c
    > (SP2).
    >
    > Chuck

    Under Windows XP Pro needed to use 57.X drivers, they worked fine and
    DX9c for XP worked fine. I had some issues with Windows so moved to
    Linux and the same card performes 20 times better with Slcakware 10.0
    Linux 2.4.29 and Linux 2.6.11.7.

Nvidia Graphics