Contemplating 6800

Greetings,

Please advise/flame where appropriate.

I want to upgrade my VisionTek GeForce 4 4600 TI to one of this season's best performers.
The 4600 TI has become an FPS sloth with the latest EverQuest engine, and Doom 3.

Specifically, I'm considering a GeForce 6800GT 256MB or a Radeon X800XT (look for an
almost-crosspost in the ATI group).

My gaming system is 2 years old - a 2.4GHz P4 on an Abit BE7-RAID (533FSB, 4x AGP), 1GB
DDR333 memory, 2x 7200-8MB striped array, and a 6-month old Dell 21" tube monitor.

I will be replacing the system core (mobo and relevant components) before year's end.

I believe my PC Power & Cooling Silencer-350W to be up to the task of driving the big
video card, and a new system core. If it's not, no biggie, I'll chuck it and pick up the
470W version.

My questions are:

I perceive a current shortage of 6800GT 256MB cards. Am I right? If so, when will relief
arrive?

I intend to shop for a BFG or eVGA card. Sound OK?

Does any particular state-side vendor have a good stock of either card?

Should I expect my aging system core to drag the performance of the 6800GT down to the
vicinity of the 4600 TI? I'm a little concerned about the 4x AGP slot.

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Visit the Surrender Dorothy web !! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
Visit the Crunch Monkey web !! (http://crunchmonkey.com)
3 answers Last reply
More about contemplating 6800

    If your a gamer go out and get your self a athlon 64 3500+ and pair it up
    with a Nforce 3 250, with a BFG 6800gt, and sum good pc 3500 & at least 1
    gig of it, should be rollin !
    "Timothy J. Trace" <tim@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Please advise/flame where appropriate.
    >
    > I want to upgrade my VisionTek GeForce 4 4600 TI to one of this season's
    > best performers.
    > The 4600 TI has become an FPS sloth with the latest EverQuest engine, and
    > Doom 3.
    >
    > Specifically, I'm considering a GeForce 6800GT 256MB or a Radeon X800XT
    > (look for an
    > almost-crosspost in the ATI group).
    >
    > My gaming system is 2 years old - a 2.4GHz P4 on an Abit BE7-RAID (533FSB,
    > 4x AGP), 1GB
    > DDR333 memory, 2x 7200-8MB striped array, and a 6-month old Dell 21" tube
    > monitor.
    >
    > I will be replacing the system core (mobo and relevant components) before
    > year's end.
    >
    > I believe my PC Power & Cooling Silencer-350W to be up to the task of
    > driving the big
    > video card, and a new system core. If it's not, no biggie, I'll chuck it
    > and pick up the
    > 470W version.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > I perceive a current shortage of 6800GT 256MB cards. Am I right? If so,
    > when will relief
    > arrive?
    >
    > I intend to shop for a BFG or eVGA card. Sound OK?
    >
    > Does any particular state-side vendor have a good stock of either card?
    >
    > Should I expect my aging system core to drag the performance of the 6800GT
    > down to the
    > vicinity of the 4600 TI? I'm a little concerned about the 4x AGP slot.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Tim ==
    > (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
    > _________________
    >
    > Visit the Surrender Dorothy web !! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
    > Visit the Crunch Monkey web !! (http://crunchmonkey.com)

    Tim, I'm in a very similar situation, having a 4600 Ti and 2700+ Athlon
    (nforce2), 512MB of DDR 400.

    I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest GeForce and adding another 512MB
    RAM but I think I'll hold off the mobo and CPU upgrade (except maybe a
    move up to 3200+ if/when the price drops to around 60 GBP). Let me know
    how you get on. Especially bottlenecks running the 6800 with your
    current system.

    Rob

    > I want to upgrade my VisionTek GeForce 4 4600 TI to one of this
    > season's best performers. The 4600 TI has become an FPS sloth with the
    > latest EverQuest engine, and Doom 3.
    > I will be replacing the system core (mobo and relevant components)
    > before year's end.

    If you're really going to replace the system core within a couple of
    months, perhaps you should hold off on your VGA upgrade and consider going
    the PCI-Express route. Getting an AGP card right now will lock you into
    AGP solutions with the system core update later (assuming you'd like to
    keep the card for more than a couple months). In the long run, getting a
    PCI-Express system will keep you more future-proofed. Companies are hard
    at work on pushing AGP out of the picture.

Nvidia Graphics Product