The 6800GT is worse than ti4200 for high end graphics!!!

I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
(high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning on
textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets to
the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This is
so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is so
that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the last
card with NVidia chip that I have bought.

Luke
30 answers Last reply
More about 6800gt worse ti4200 high graphics

    Luke Piasecki wrote:
    > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets to
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is so
    > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the last
    > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

    1. The 6800GT is IMMENSELY overpowered for viewport rendering, even in XSI.

    2. You likely are using the WRONG drivers, or have enabled features
    like Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering that can greatly slow down
    3d apps not specifically designed to use them.

    In particular, there is a GL viewport extension that's reponsible for
    dividing up the drawing buffer for the viewports. I know from
    experience that, for example, enabling 4x AA can greatly slow down
    redraw and scene transformations in 3dsMAX. It's even worse in simple
    old Blender, any type of multisample antlialiasing results in either a
    blank screen or "smear".

    3. How are games? If they are not a great deal faster than before, you
    may have an improperly configured system or one that cannot take
    advantage of any high end graphics card (i.e. a 6800 on a P4 2.0, 256
    RAMBUS system or something like a XP1700 w/ little RAM).

    AND LASTLY...

    Please ask for help first before spewing forth unsubstantiated bullshit
    in the NG. We're not NVIDIA corporate relations.

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:39:20 -0400, "Luke Piasecki"
    <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote:

    >I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    >(high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning on
    >textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets to
    >the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This is
    >so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    >going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is so
    >that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the last
    >card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    >Luke

    LOL. You have obviously screwed up somewhere, yet you blame Nvidia?
    Any idiot knows the 6800 GT smokes any Ti-series card.

    deimos wrote:

    > Luke Piasecki wrote:
    >> I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    >> (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    >> on textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    >> gets to the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is
    >> faster! This is so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product,
    >> NVidia seems to be going the other direction for the high end 3d market.
    >> Oh, perhaps that is so that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000.
    >> This was definately the last card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >>
    >> Luke
    >>

    > 1. The 6800GT is IMMENSELY overpowered for viewport rendering, even in
    > XSI.
    >
    > 2. You likely are using the WRONG drivers, or have enabled features
    > like Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering that can greatly slow down
    > 3d apps not specifically designed to use them.
    >
    > In particular, there is a GL viewport extension that's reponsible for
    > dividing up the drawing buffer for the viewports. I know from
    > experience that, for example, enabling 4x AA can greatly slow down
    > redraw and scene transformations in 3dsMAX. It's even worse in simple
    > old Blender, any type of multisample antlialiasing results in either a
    > blank screen or "smear".
    >
    > 3. How are games? If they are not a great deal faster than before, you
    > may have an improperly configured system or one that cannot take
    > advantage of any high end graphics card (i.e. a 6800 on a P4 2.0, 256
    > RAMBUS system or something like a XP1700 w/ little RAM).
    >
    > AND LASTLY...
    >
    > Please ask for help first before spewing forth unsubstantiated bullshit
    > in the NG. We're not NVIDIA corporate relations.

    There's another issue--there are darned few laptops with Radeon 9600s in
    them and the most readily available one is an AMD-64. If he's comparing
    one of those to his desktop and his desktop isn't running a comparable
    processor then perhaps the video board is not the problem.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    >>This was definately the last
    >> card with NVidia chip that I have bought.

    Troll - the 6800GT is 4x af fast as any ti4200

    >>This was definately the last
    >> card with NVidia chip that I have bought.

    Good that leaves more for the people that want them.

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Luke Piasecki ordered an army of
    hamsters to type:

    > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI
    > software (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment!
    > When turning on textures and generally overall, the display is much,
    > much slower! It gets to the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop
    > with ATI 9600 is faster! This is so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of
    > improving the product, NVidia seems to be going the other direction
    > for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is so that more people go
    > and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the last card with
    > NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

    I'd like to jump on the flaming bandwagon too, ur a comeplete idiot, but
    lets break down what you are saying first. You must be a 10 year old get
    ing annoyed so easily rather than looking into any probelems. Has it even
    occured to you that YOU may have done something wrong?

    What exactly do you mean by 'When turning on textures and generally
    overall' ? Lets say you used whatever software on low qualities with the
    driver quality settings down with the Ti, as expected it will run smoothly.
    But on getting the 6800 changed every setting and quality available to max
    and you are annoyed about the thing running badly. Can you just make sure
    that at exactly the same quality settings the 6800 runs better. What
    driver version are you using? The 6800s require the 6x.xx's. Have you got
    drivers installed at all? Did you install any drivers at all after
    installing the 6800?

    Infact im suprised you managed to install the thing in the first place.
    Does daddy let you hold the screwdriver? You cant spell 'fu**ing' either.

    OMG, so I should remove my 6800 and go and find a 9600, where can I buy one
    of these wondorous cards??

    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    > on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    > is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is
    > so
    > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    > last
    > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

    >OMG, so I should remove my 6800 and go and find a 9600, >where can I buy one
    >of these wondorous cards??

    On Ebay,there are a lot of disatisfied people selling theirs.

    "Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >OMG, so I should remove my 6800 and go and find a 9600, >where can I buy
    > >one
    >>of these wondorous cards??
    >
    > On Ebay,there are a lot of disatisfied people selling theirs.

    Actually I have a 9600SE in the kids PC it is okay for basic stuff and was
    cheap. I had an MSI 9800Pro fail and when I took it back to the shop, they
    had run out of them so I did a deal for a few dollars and got a Nvidia 6800
    (Leadtek A400TDH), now that was really worthwhile. Looking at the tests on
    Toms Hardware, the GT and the Ultra are up to double the price for only a
    small improvement.

    On 20/10/04 10:39 PM, Luke Piasecki wrote:

    > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets to
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market.

    This has got to be bullshit. You're sure your drivers are installed
    correctly?

    > This has got to be bullshit. You're sure your drivers are installed
    > correctly?

    This is 111% human error.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    you guys are absolutely useless. Do you really think that I made this up?
    I've been using NVidia cards on high end 3d software for past 6 years.
    Yes, I do now how to install the drivers.
    I posted to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem and has a
    solution.
    It's funny how internet gives breed to sudenly brave geeks who get so
    confident offending other from behind their computer monitors.
    Anyone of you in London Ontario, so you can tell me your responses in person
    ?

    "Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
    > On 20/10/04 10:39 PM, Luke Piasecki wrote:
    >
    > > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    on
    > > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    gets to
    > > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    is
    > > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to
    be
    > > going the other direction for the high end 3d market.
    >
    > This has got to be bullshit. You're sure your drivers are installed
    > correctly?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > 2. You likely are using the WRONG drivers, or have enabled features
    > like Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering that can greatly slow down
    > 3d apps not specifically designed to use them.

    I'm using the latest from Nvidia site, AA and Anisotropic filtering are not
    enabled.

    > In particular, there is a GL viewport extension that's reponsible for
    > dividing up the drawing buffer for the viewports. I know from
    > experience that, for example, enabling 4x AA can greatly slow down
    > redraw and scene transformations in 3dsMAX. It's even worse in simple
    > old Blender, any type of multisample antlialiasing results in either a
    > blank screen or "smear".
    >
    > 3. How are games?

    Doom 3 is about 3 times as fast...

    If they are not a great deal faster than before, you
    > may have an improperly configured system or one that cannot take
    > advantage of any high end graphics card (i.e. a 6800 on a P4 2.0, 256
    > RAMBUS system or something like a XP1700 w/ little RAM).
    >
    > AND LASTLY...
    >
    > Please ask for help first before spewing forth unsubstantiated bullshit
    > in the NG. We're not NVIDIA corporate relations.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Hey Kokoro, judging by your answer you are the one who must be 10 year old.
    Hey, are you by any chance close to London Ontario? Perhaps you want to meet
    in person and repeat what you just said?
    Or does hiding behind computer monitor make a geek like you brave?
    For your information, I have computer science degree, and yes, I do know
    where to download latest drivers.
    Again, if you're so brave, I hope you're located close to London, Ontario.
    Perhaps you could hold that screwdriver for me.

    > I'd like to jump on the flaming bandwagon too, ur a comeplete idiot, but
    > lets break down what you are saying first. You must be a 10 year old get
    > ing annoyed so easily rather than looking into any probelems. Has it even
    > occured to you that YOU may have done something wrong?
    >
    > What exactly do you mean by 'When turning on textures and generally
    > overall' ? Lets say you used whatever software on low qualities with the
    > driver quality settings down with the Ti, as expected it will run
    smoothly.
    > But on getting the 6800 changed every setting and quality available to max
    > and you are annoyed about the thing running badly. Can you just make sure
    > that at exactly the same quality settings the 6800 runs better. What
    > driver version are you using? The 6800s require the 6x.xx's. Have you
    got
    > drivers installed at all? Did you install any drivers at all after
    > installing the 6800?
    >
    > Infact im suprised you managed to install the thing in the first place.
    > Does daddy let you hold the screwdriver? You cant spell 'fu**ing' either.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    No, they aren't. Your post didn't ask for help. Nowhere does it say "Is
    there a problem with my configuration?" or "Does anyone have any idea why my
    card is so slow?" No, you just ranted about how you think nVidia went
    downhill.

    Maybe if you'd actually posted in an intelligent fashion, rather than
    bitching like a whiny 8 year old, people might have responded in kind.

    Myself, I'll keep my 6800GT, which runs fine, which sped up every game I've
    tried, and which crushed my old ti4600 in benchmarks I did, and any
    timedemos.

    > you guys are absolutely useless. Do you really think that I made this up?
    > I've been using NVidia cards on high end 3d software for past 6 years.
    > Yes, I do now how to install the drivers.
    > I posted to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem and has a
    > solution.
    > It's funny how internet gives breed to sudenly brave geeks who get so
    > confident offending other from behind their computer monitors.
    > Anyone of you in London Ontario, so you can tell me your responses in
    > person
    > ?
    >

    > "Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> On 20/10/04 10:39 PM, Luke Piasecki wrote:
    >>
    >> > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    >> > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When
    >> > turning
    > on
    >> > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    > gets to
    >> > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster!
    >> > This
    > is
    >> > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to
    > be
    >> > going the other direction for the high end 3d market.
    >>
    >> This has got to be bullshit. You're sure your drivers are installed
    >> correctly?

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Something must be wrong elsewhere. I've found that switching graphics cards
    can sometimes lead to corrupted installs that are only solved with a ground
    up OS installation -- perhaps you fell prey to this. I don't think there is
    ANY situation where the 6800 would be slower than the 4200.

    Larry

    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is
    so
    > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    last
    > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    HAHAHAHAHAHA, you're so funny and stupid at the same
    time....................

    > Hey Kokoro, judging by your answer you are the one who must be 10 year
    > old.
    > Hey, are you by any chance close to London Ontario? Perhaps you want to
    > meet
    > in person and repeat what you just said?
    > Or does hiding behind computer monitor make a geek like you brave?
    > For your information, I have computer science degree, and yes, I do know
    > where to download latest drivers.
    > Again, if you're so brave, I hope you're located close to London, Ontario.
    > Perhaps you could hold that screwdriver for me.
    >

    >> I'd like to jump on the flaming bandwagon too, ur a comeplete idiot, but
    >> lets break down what you are saying first. You must be a 10 year old get
    >> ing annoyed so easily rather than looking into any probelems. Has it
    >> even
    >> occured to you that YOU may have done something wrong?
    >>
    >> What exactly do you mean by 'When turning on textures and generally
    >> overall' ? Lets say you used whatever software on low qualities with the
    >> driver quality settings down with the Ti, as expected it will run
    > smoothly.
    >> But on getting the 6800 changed every setting and quality available to
    >> max
    >> and you are annoyed about the thing running badly. Can you just make
    >> sure
    >> that at exactly the same quality settings the 6800 runs better. What
    >> driver version are you using? The 6800s require the 6x.xx's. Have you
    > got
    >> drivers installed at all? Did you install any drivers at all after
    >> installing the 6800?
    >>
    >> Infact im suprised you managed to install the thing in the first place.
    >> Does daddy let you hold the screwdriver? You cant spell 'fu**ing'
    >> either.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I went from an nVidia Ti4200 to a FX5950 Ultra 256meg card (an entire
    generation faster than the Ti4200 and comparable to ATi's high end 9800
    card) to an FX6800 GT and the new card runs Doom3 at higher rez and faster,
    Unreal Tournament 04 higher rez and faster, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War higher
    rez and faster, and FarCry higher rez and faster. Oh and 3dBench05 score
    went from around 1500 to around 5000.

    FACT: There is no software in existence where the FX5950ultra is not faster
    than a Ti4200.
    FACT: There is doubtful any software where the ATi9600 is faster or equal to
    the FX5950ultra
    FACT: There is no software in existence where the FX6800GT is not faster
    than the FX5950ultra.
    FACT: The FX6800GT is TWO generations newer than the Ti4200 and one
    generation newer than the FX5950ultra.
    THEREFORE, knowing all the above facts, logic would dictate that if your
    system is running SLOWER with the obviously better card, something is wrong
    and least likely the problem is the new card, IMHO, unless you got a lemon.
    So yeah, it is within the realm of logic to assume you got a lemon, as long
    as you already tried all the stuff I suggest below. But it is not logical to
    assume the problem is ALL 6800GT cards because YOU are having a problem.
    Make sense?

    More likely, your system is not beefy enough in one way or another to
    support the new card. I wonder if the makers of these cards or nVidia has a
    minimum CPU/RAM requirement? I'd guess for this level of card you would need
    at least an 1800 rated CPU and 512MB RAM to really start taking advantage of
    the card. They sure have a minimum recommended power supply requirement! Did
    you get the latest drivers for the 6800GT? Were you careful to use something
    like DriverCleaner to get your old drivers fully erased from your system?
    Did you plug the molex (power) plug into the card after you plugged the card
    into the motherboard? Did you make sure to use one of those power plugs that
    is on it's own wire and not on a wire that splits and gives it's other plug
    to some other device? I've heard that can cause the video card to not get
    enough power. What rating is your power supply? Your CPU ghz? How much RAM
    in your system?

    Good luck with that new card. Once you get it running right, wow, you should
    see a BIG time improvement... at least in games. I'm not sure about your SI
    XSI software. Does it use DirectX(?#?) or OpenGL or... ?

    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    > on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    > is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is
    > so
    > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    > last
    > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    6800GT: 256-bit bus width, 16x1 pipes, chip/mem clocks: 350/1000
    Ti4200: 128-bit bus width, 4x2 pipes, chip/mem clocks: 250/514
    ATi9600: 128-bit bus width, 4x1 pipes, chip/mem clocks: 325/400
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html

    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    > on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    > is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is
    > so
    > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    > last
    > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Anyone of you in London Ontario, so you can tell me your responses in
    > person

    Then listen to everyone - the card is 4x faster than any ti4200 - eod.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > you guys are absolutely useless. Do you really think that I made this up?
    > I've been using NVidia cards on high end 3d software for past 6 years.
    > Yes, I do now how to install the drivers.
    > I posted to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem and has a
    > solution.
    > It's funny how internet gives breed to sudenly brave geeks who get so
    > confident offending other from behind their computer monitors.
    > Anyone of you in London Ontario, so you can tell me your responses in
    person
    > ?

    look - if you really don't like the card you can just send to me,
    I'll find a use for it :)

    Vu.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Larry, this could be a problem indeed... I'm wondering if any of the
    Detonator removal tools or Registry Cleaners would help, followed by
    reinstallation. I've tried about 5 different drivers with no luck.

    "Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Something must be wrong elsewhere. I've found that switching graphics
    cards
    > can sometimes lead to corrupted installs that are only solved with a
    ground
    > up OS installation -- perhaps you fell prey to this. I don't think there
    is
    > ANY situation where the 6800 would be slower than the 4200.
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    > on
    > > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    gets
    > > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    > is
    > > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to
    be
    > > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that
    is
    > so
    > > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    > last
    > > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    > >
    > > Luke

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Scooter, notice two things. I said 'high end graphics software'. That means
    that no matter what the specs, benchmarks say or games, the fact is that I
    got a huge performance drop. So quoting games and benchmarks is of no use
    because it's a different ballgame! With 66.82 drivers, XSI will not even
    boot! So my point was that yes, the game performance is much better, but the
    3d apps performance dropped a lot. This CAN be caused by bad drivers or bad
    implementation!

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >

    > "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > >I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    > > on
    > > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    gets
    > > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    > > is
    > > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to
    be
    > > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that
    is
    > > so
    > > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    > > last
    > > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    again, specs mean NOTHING!!! Take any low end Quadro side by side with
    newest geForce and Quadro will beat the hell out of 6800! Why? 6800 has so
    much better specs! It's because of DRIVERS!!! In drivers for instance you
    have hardware overlay support enabled etc.

    > 6800GT: 256-bit bus width, 16x1 pipes, chip/mem clocks: 350/1000
    > Ti4200: 128-bit bus width, 4x2 pipes, chip/mem clocks: 250/514
    > ATi9600: 128-bit bus width, 4x1 pipes, chip/mem clocks: 325/400
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html
    >

    > "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > >I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    > > on
    > > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    gets
    > > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    > > is
    > > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to
    be
    > > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that
    is
    > > so
    > > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    > > last
    > > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    > >
    > > Luke

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I've noticed a performance drop in Pro/Engineer with the latest drivers,
    too. Were you comparing the 6800GT and Ti4200 on the same driver version?

    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When turning
    on
    > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It gets
    > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster! This
    is
    > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to be
    > going the other direction for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is
    so
    > that more people go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the
    last
    > card with NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > again, specs mean NOTHING!!! Take any low end Quadro side by side with
    > newest geForce and Quadro will beat the hell out of 6800! Why? 6800 has so
    > much better specs! It's because of DRIVERS!!! In drivers for instance you
    > have hardware overlay support enabled etc.

    You really have no clue about anything, do you.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Luke Piasecki wrote:
    > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI
    > software (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment!
    > When turning on textures and generally overall, the display is much,
    > much slower! It gets to the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop
    > with ATI 9600 is faster! This is so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of
    > improving the product, NVidia seems to be going the other direction
    > for the high end 3d market. Oh, perhaps that is so that more people
    > go and buy Quadros for $2000. This was definately the last card with
    > NVidia chip that I have bought.
    >
    > Luke

    OPERATOR ERROR
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Your stupid.
    "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > you guys are absolutely useless. Do you really think that I made this up?
    > I've been using NVidia cards on high end 3d software for past 6 years.
    > Yes, I do now how to install the drivers.
    > I posted to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem and has a
    > solution.
    > It's funny how internet gives breed to sudenly brave geeks who get so
    > confident offending other from behind their computer monitors.
    > Anyone of you in London Ontario, so you can tell me your responses in
    > person
    > ?
    >

    > "Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> On 20/10/04 10:39 PM, Luke Piasecki wrote:
    >>
    >> > I installed my brand new geForce 68000 GT and opened up SI XSI software
    >> > (high end graphics). Boy was I in for a big disappointment! When
    >> > turning
    > on
    >> > textures and generally overall, the display is much, much slower! It
    > gets to
    >> > the point of crawling!!! In fact my laptop with ATI 9600 is faster!
    >> > This
    > is
    >> > so fu**en terrible!!! Intead of improving the product, NVidia seems to
    > be
    >> > going the other direction for the high end 3d market.
    >>
    >> This has got to be bullshit. You're sure your drivers are installed
    >> correctly?

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote in message
    > Your stupid.

    I think you mean "You're stupid".

    Ironic really. And ever so slightly amusing ;-)

    Chip
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Luke Piasecki wrote:

    > again, specs mean NOTHING!!! Take any low end Quadro side by side with
    > newest geForce and Quadro will beat the hell out of 6800! Why? 6800 has so
    > much better specs! It's because of DRIVERS!!! In drivers for instance you
    > have hardware overlay support enabled etc.

    If you put that "low end Quadro" next to the equivalent model GeForce you'll
    find that the only differences are the firmware, the quality of the
    capacitors, and the label. Now why would nvidia go to all the bother of
    making super high performance drivers and then only make them available for
    the boards with the Quadro brand and not with the geForce brand.

    The important difference is the direction in which the firmware was
    tuned--with a "workstation board" it's generally optimized for OpenGL while
    for a "gamer board" it's generally optimized for DirectX.

    In fact it is possible to convert the boards back and forth in some cases
    simply by reflashing the firmware.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)