Report: Intel Prices Ultrabook BOM at $475 to $710

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
as far as I remember the last article here on TH said asus and acer won't manage to build ultrabook with Sandy bridge under $1000

I'm sure they can build one for $768 to $960 but it will have crappy celeron , or in best case scenario core 2 duo.

Intel charges too high premium for their CPU. AMD please release bulldozer already!

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Ow, if acer or asus manage to get the price down to $500, intel will just raise the prices of their mobile chipsets!
In some ways a $399 laptop is still a sub $1000 laptop... Depends on how you look at it!

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Besides, unlike Intel, I personally don't think it's going to be a big hit!
So what, a laptop that's half the thickness?
They can do better by creating a fast netbook that fits in a backpack!
Not to mention these designs have reduced battery life!
You'll see, this netbook craze is going to come and go, and no person actually noticed them!

The closest thing to the Air (own the 11.6" C2D/320M model) so far has been the Samsung Series 9, which I would much rather have than an Acer computer.

I'm interested to see what options become available in the next year or so, but the hardware manufacturers need to get on the ball here - Apple already has an almost one year lead in the market, now with a very solid Core i5 option with a backlit keyboard.

[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]Besides, unlike Intel, I personally don't think it's going to be a big hit!So what, a laptop that's half the thickness?They can do better by creating a fast netbook that fits in a backpack!Not to mention these designs have reduced battery life!You'll see, this netbook craze is going to come and go, and no person actually noticed them![/citation]

The slightly larger size (11.6-13" vs. 9-10") allows for a full size keyboard. That's the main reason I went with an Air vs. a netbook with an SSD and all the bells and whistles.

evo_7

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]The closest thing to the Air (own the 11.6" C2D/320M model) so far has been the Samsung Series 9, which I would much rather have than an Acer computer. I'm interested to see what options become available in the next year or so, but the hardware manufacturers need to get on the ball here - Apple already has an almost one year lead in the market, now with a very solid Core i5 option with a backlit keyboard.[/citation]

Me, personally, I get the idea of the Air but I also prefer functionality over the loss of 4/5 oz to be honest. For myself I got the Toshiba protege with an i5 earlier in the year. Its weighs only a fraggin 1/3 lb heavier that some netbooks but has all the inputs and a DVD drive for work and, unlike an Air, it did cost cheaper and frankly I gained more functionality wise than the air. If I had a choice, I'd prefer consumers opt for the direction of laptops like the Protege or even Macbook Pro but I'd lean towards the Protege for the sake of pricing and its not like Toshiba and Windows 7 together is a bad combo.

And no I'm not a windows fanboy; my dual boot hackintosh is testimony to that but I feel that if consumers feel that Apple is the way to get out of having to learn about using a machine, frankly they'll just never learn.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]evo_7[/nom]Me, personally, I get the idea of the Air but I also prefer functionality over the loss of 4/5 oz to be honest. For myself I got the Toshiba protege with an i5 earlier in the year. Its weighs only a fraggin 1/3 lb heavier that some netbooks but has all the inputs and a DVD drive for work and, unlike an Air, it did cost cheaper and frankly I gained more functionality wise than the air. If I had a choice, I'd prefer consumers opt for the direction of laptops like the Protege or even Macbook Pro but I'd lean towards the Protege for the sake of pricing and its not like Toshiba and Windows 7 together is a bad combo.And no I'm not a windows fanboy; my dual boot hackintosh is testimony to that but I feel that if consumers feel that Apple is the way to get out of having to learn about using a machine, frankly they'll just never learn.[/citation]

@evo_7, have you ever use or see an Air? I haven't use Toshiba protege before. My last Toshiba was a piece of plastic that was poorly put together. Air is made out of Aluminum, that along makes me happy already. I used to be a windows only person, buying $600 to $800 laptops for myself and anyone that asks for my recommendation. Recently I got myself a 13" Air(core i5 version) for $1299. I got to say it's worth every dollar.
The quality build of it just amazes me, I'm in love with the touch pad, I used touch pad in many different windows laptops before, none of them even comes close to the one Air offers.
Currently, I got 6 windows pc and 1 Mac in my home. I use 1 pc for gaming and do everything else on Air. The other 5 pc(desktops & laptops) are just sitting there gathering dusts.

I was looking at the 11.6" Satellite (I think) when I bought my Air in December, but the Sandy Bridge models weren't out then, and Apple's keyboard was better. I prefer the aluminum build construction of the new Macs, so that had some role in my decision. I'm also a college student with a custom desktop, so all I needed was a mobile platform to work on when on the go; weight, then, was of higher importance in my case.

Also, the updated Air makes much more sense than the C2D version. I bought the older one because I needed it then.

Regardless, it's amazing how many computing options there are now. Everything from tiny netbooks to monster gaming laptops, and then you get an insane number of options when you move into desktops.

That's why I've stuck with Mac laptops - aluminum bodies with amazing multitouch trackpads. I've never needed a mouse with a MacBook...

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]as far as I remember the last article here on TH said asus and acer won't manage to build ultrabook with Sandy bridge under $1000I'm sure they can build one for $768 to $960 but it will have crappy celeron , or in best case scenario core 2 duo.Intel charges too high premium for their CPU. AMD please release bulldozer already![/citation]
The current Celeron CULV actually is a Sandy Bridge CPU. But yeah, competition is long overdue.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Give me a 450 dollar aluminum chassis laptop with a 10.1 inch screen and an AMD A8, that can promise me at least 5 hours battery life with a standard 4-6 cell battery, and I am a happy camper...

G

So what's Intel's profit margin? I doubt this has somehow gotten more expensive for Intel, they're basically screwing OEMs into selling expensive things at low margins, and in the end, they'll "rebate" some money back to "make it right". The point being to control the OEMs by controlling their profits, which means their scared because they can't compete with Llano or Trinity for an all-around balanced laptop with long battery life.

You said the word "aluminum" and the price shot up a bit...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

Quality has a premium. I'd pay and extra $100 for an aluminum chassis on a 10.1" netbook. (Hence the $450 price point, rather than the 250-350 price point I am generally content with).

Status
Not open for further replies.