Help! I need a half height PCI Express graphics card that ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 21, 2004 3:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello,
I'm trying to find a half height PCI Express video card which
supports two monitors. I want to be able to span two monitors under
Windows XP. The card should have a DVI output and a VGA output. I
can't seem to find such a card. Does anyone know of a model with this
configuration? All of the ASUS cards are full height if they have both
outputs and half height with one VGA output. This silly Optiplex 280
from Dell has built in video support on the motherboard as well as a
PCI Express slot but Windows XP halts with a "Invalid Graphics Mode"
when I try to drive both monitors.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank,

Larry
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2004 3:53:22 PM

"LarryK" <larryfromdc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm trying to find a half height PCI Express video card which
> supports two monitors. I want to be able to span two monitors under
> Windows XP. The card should have a DVI output and a VGA output. I
> can't seem to find such a card. Does anyone know of a model with this
> configuration? All of the ASUS cards are full height if they have both
> outputs and half height with one VGA output. This silly Optiplex 280
> from Dell has built in video support on the motherboard as well as a
> PCI Express slot but Windows XP halts with a "Invalid Graphics Mode"
> when I try to drive both monitors.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!!
>
> Thank,
>
> Larry

As of today or month of October 2004, PCI-E do not have half-height card
exist or as I aware of.
Best bet if you can, look for a PCI version instead.
I assumed you talking about this model -
OptiPlex GX280
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

If you have the SF or SD version, you may need to wait awhile.
If you have the SMT, full size card should be ok.

CapFusion,...
October 22, 2004 12:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Thanks for the post. Well, I found this card. I called ABit and they
said this was a half height card. Notice, it has a full height bracket
on the end but I think I can take that off and stick the VGA output
out another slot to hook it up to my other monitor. The guy at ABit
said it will support two monitors. I'll let you know if it works...

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7abit037-radeon-rx300-se-...

Regards,

Larry

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message news:<R4SdnTtrgoQ4mOXcRVn-tg@megapath.net>...
> "LarryK" <larryfromdc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to find a half height PCI Express video card which
> > supports two monitors. I want to be able to span two monitors under
> > Windows XP. The card should have a DVI output and a VGA output. I
> > can't seem to find such a card. Does anyone know of a model with this
> > configuration? All of the ASUS cards are full height if they have both
> > outputs and half height with one VGA output. This silly Optiplex 280
> > from Dell has built in video support on the motherboard as well as a
> > PCI Express slot but Windows XP halts with a "Invalid Graphics Mode"
> > when I try to drive both monitors.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated!!
> >
> > Thank,
> >
> > Larry
>
> As of today or month of October 2004, PCI-E do not have half-height card
> exist or as I aware of.
> Best bet if you can, look for a PCI version instead.
> I assumed you talking about this model -
> OptiPlex GX280
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
>
> If you have the SF or SD version, you may need to wait awhile.
> If you have the SMT, full size card should be ok.
>
> CapFusion,...
Related resources
October 23, 2004 8:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I took a good look at that picture and others of the same card (google search)
and I must tell you that is a solid piece of metal thats holding those outputs
together.On one website it even looks as though something is holding that VGA
connector to the main body of the card.I would endeavor to see the card in
person before buying it.

peter

> Thanks for the post. Well, I found this card. I called ABit and they
> said this was a half height card. Notice, it has a full height bracket
> on the end but I think I can take that off and stick the VGA output
> out another slot to hook it up to my other monitor. The guy at ABit
> said it will support two monitors. I'll let you know if it works...
>
> http://www.provantage.com/buy-7abit037-radeon-rx300-se-...
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry
>
> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message
>> "LarryK" <larryfromdc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> > I'm trying to find a half height PCI Express video card which
>> > supports two monitors. I want to be able to span two monitors under
>> > Windows XP. The card should have a DVI output and a VGA output. I
>> > can't seem to find such a card. Does anyone know of a model with this
>> > configuration? All of the ASUS cards are full height if they have both
>> > outputs and half height with one VGA output. This silly Optiplex 280
>> > from Dell has built in video support on the motherboard as well as a
>> > PCI Express slot but Windows XP halts with a "Invalid Graphics Mode"
>> > when I try to drive both monitors.
>> >
>> > Any help would be much appreciated!!
>> >
>> > Thank,
>> >
>> > Larry
>>
>> As of today or month of October 2004, PCI-E do not have half-height card
>> exist or as I aware of.
>> Best bet if you can, look for a PCI version instead.
>> I assumed you talking about this model -
>> OptiPlex GX280
>> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
>>
>> If you have the SF or SD version, you may need to wait awhile.
>> If you have the SMT, full size card should be ok.
>>
>> CapFusion,...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2004 5:05:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Low-profile cards (at least the retail boxed ones) usually come with an
alternative low-profile bracket that can be used in place of the standard
one. In fact, if the bracket weren't detachable, there would be no point in
having the VGA connector on a separate ribbon cable.

"peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> I took a good look at that picture and others of the same card (google
search)
> and I must tell you that is a solid piece of metal thats holding those
outputs
> together.On one website it even looks as though something is holding that
VGA
> connector to the main body of the card.I would endeavor to see the card in
> person before buying it.
>
> peter
October 24, 2004 9:06:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

The good news is that the card works and supports two monitors! Yeah!

The bad news is that I can't see any way to get that bracket off of
the card. Maybe I'm missing something. Right now, my case is stuck
open. I was able to unscrew the VGA connector from the bracket and
connect the monitor through another slot. I'm going to take my tin
snips to the top of the bracket so I can get my case closed.

I complained to the guy at ABit about the fact that they were selling
a half height card with a full height bracket.... I didn't see another
bracket in the box...

Regards,

Larry

"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<P5SdnRXREPdiqubcRVn-oA@rogers.com>...
> Low-profile cards (at least the retail boxed ones) usually come with an
> alternative low-profile bracket that can be used in place of the standard
> one. In fact, if the bracket weren't detachable, there would be no point in
> having the VGA connector on a separate ribbon cable.

> "peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> > I took a good look at that picture and others of the same card (google
> search)
> > and I must tell you that is a solid piece of metal thats holding those
> outputs
> > together.On one website it even looks as though something is holding that
> VGA
> > connector to the main body of the card.I would endeavor to see the card in
> > person before buying it.
> >
> > peter
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2004 3:29:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

But who says that the picture on that website is an accurate representation
of the card?

news:p 5SdnRXREPdiqubcRVn-oA@rogers.com...
> Low-profile cards (at least the retail boxed ones) usually come with an
> alternative low-profile bracket that can be used in place of the standard
> one. In fact, if the bracket weren't detachable, there would be no point
in
> having the VGA connector on a separate ribbon cable.

> "peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> > I took a good look at that picture and others of the same card (google
> search)
> > and I must tell you that is a solid piece of metal thats holding those
> outputs
> > together.On one website it even looks as though something is holding
that
> VGA
> > connector to the main body of the card.I would endeavor to see the card
in
> > person before buying it.
> >
> > peter

October 25, 2004 2:49:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Ok, the full height bracket does come off of the card. You just have
to remove the screws holding on the DVI and VGA outputs. This card
does not come with a half height bracket. I broke the bracket so I
could use the top part to hold the VGA connector in the next slot.
Now, my two monitor setup works fine. I'm still getting used to
working with two monitors. Visually, it is a little disturbing at
first..

Regards,

Larry

!