Anyone went from nVidia to ATI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 22, 2004 3:04:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi,

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

Thanks.

GT

More about : nvidia ati

October 22, 2004 11:17:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:04:37 -0400, "GT-Force"
<dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote:

>I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
>thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
>to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
>cards, and what were the issues?

What problem(s) are you having? I went from a 4400 to a 9700 Pro with
no problems, I use the 4.4 Cats.
October 22, 2004 11:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 10/21/2004 8:04 PM GT-Force brightened our day with:

>Hi,
>
>I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
>thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
>to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
>cards, and what were the issues?
>
>Thanks.
>
>GT

I don't think you have to have had a bad experience with ATI to want to
get a 6800, they're great cards. It's not like your divorcing your
second wife to go back to the first, they're just frickin' hardware vendors.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
October 22, 2004 1:01:46 PM

GT-Force wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro),
> and I am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there
> anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so,
> what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GT

I went from a TI4400 to an ATI 9700 Pro ( have since upgraded to 9800 Pro).

I had no issues, and to me it was a very good upgrade. I got much better
performance with the 9700 Pro, but that was to be expected.

I did however take it to the extreme on making the change, I went ahead and
did a format and fresh install of XP, using the new ATI card. I am sure that
was not necessary, at the time I just wanted to do it.

--
Don Burnette
Anonymous

"GT-Force" wrote in message

> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
> cards, and what were the issues?
I've moved from a GeForce 2 Ti to an Asus X800 pro.

After reinstalling the OS - I changed from Win98SE to a new installation of
WinXPpro - I'm indeed a little bit disappointed.

Some of the Games (Unreal 2, Unreal Expanded Multiplayer, Tribes Vengeance
Demo..) are crashing sometimes with an D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR.

First I installed XP with SP2 and reinstalled XP with SP1, DirectX 9.0c
using Catalyst 4.10. But now luck either.

IMO Win98 did the job much better than XP. I changed the OS because of
missing drivers for my X800 under Win98.

Of course some of the new games run quite good and the graphics looks very
pretty ;-) So the new graphics card could certainly not be blamed but the
OS and/or the drivers.

--
cu,
Michael

On 10/22/2004 12:17 AM Michael Fritz brightened our day with:

>"GT-Force" wrote in message
>

>>I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
>>thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
>>to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
>>cards, and what were the issues?
>>

>I've moved from a GeForce 2 Ti to an Asus X800 pro.
>
>After reinstalling the OS - I changed from Win98SE to a new installation of
>WinXPpro - I'm indeed a little bit disappointed.
>
>Some of the Games (Unreal 2, Unreal Expanded Multiplayer, Tribes Vengeance
>Demo..) are crashing sometimes with an D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR.
>
>First I installed XP with SP2 and reinstalled XP with SP1, DirectX 9.0c
>using Catalyst 4.10. But now luck either.
>
>IMO Win98 did the job much better than XP. I changed the OS because of
>missing drivers for my X800 under Win98.
>
>Of course some of the new games run quite good and the graphics looks very
>pretty ;-) So the new graphics card could certainly not be blamed but the
>OS and/or the drivers.

All of those games are the same engine, find out if there are conflicts
with the Unreal engine and your settings.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
October 22, 2004 1:59:55 PM

"GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
> went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the
> new cards, and what were the issues?

I think you have your title mixed up! What is it you are interested in
hearing about? People going from ATI to nVidia, or people going from nVidia
to ATI?

If you mean the former, then I went from ATI 9700 Pro to a 6800 GT and I
have no regrets at all. The performance of the GT is outstanding and the
image quality is amazing. Even better than the 9700Pro, which was already
very good indeed.

There are a couple of downsides to the nvidia though that you should be
aware of. They don't matter at all to me and I am not remotely bothered.
But they might matter to you:

1. The video processor on the 6800 is broken and it doesn't provide any
support from decoding of HD .wmv files like it should. Unless you have a
powerful processor, you may be looking at 100% CPU usage and dropped frames.
So if your requirements are for a HTPC *and* you want to run HD video, then
I would look elsewhere.

2. In any event, the video picture quality of the 6800GT is not as good as
ATI's. I knew this already before I purchased. Anyone serious about HTPC
will tell you to buy ATI anyway. I don't have an HTPC - I just use my PC to
very occassionally play the odd DVD. The 6800GT at DVD replay is
"adequate". Its no big deal for me.

Chip
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 2:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
> cards, and what were the issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GT

I went from GF3 to 9700 pro/9800 pro to 6800GT, and I wish I stuck with ATI. The fonts look like
cxrap on my system, so I had to switch to cleartype smoothing which give purple hazing on some text
in games and other areas. As soon as ATI comes out with their next upgrade, I will be dumping this
6800GT.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:07:13 PM

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 10/22/2004 12:17 AM Michael Fritz brightened our day with:
>
>>"GT-Force" wrote in message
>>

>>>I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
>>>am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here
>>>that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old
>>>and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>>>
>>I've moved from a GeForce 2 Ti to an Asus X800 pro.
>>After reinstalling the OS - I changed from Win98SE to a new installation
>>of
>>WinXPpro - I'm indeed a little bit disappointed.
>>Some of the Games (Unreal 2, Unreal Expanded Multiplayer, Tribes Vengeance
>>Demo..) are crashing sometimes with an D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR.
>>First I installed XP with SP2 and reinstalled XP with SP1, DirectX 9.0c
>>using Catalyst 4.10. But now luck either.
>>
>>IMO Win98 did the job much better than XP. I changed the OS because of
>>missing drivers for my X800 under Win98.
>>
>>Of course some of the new games run quite good and the graphics looks very
>>pretty ;-) So the new graphics card could certainly not be blamed but the
>>OS and/or the drivers.
>>
> All of those games are the same engine, find out if there are conflicts
> with the Unreal engine and your settings.

I am seeing flashing problems with both 9800Pro and 6800 with Unreal 2.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 7:07:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
am
> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
went
> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
> cards, and what were the issues?

I went from a Leadtek MX440 64MB DDR to a Powercolor 9600 Pro Bravo128MB DDR
and I could not be happier. But I will admit I was concerned about the ATI
drivers originally, tried a few, but since I settled on the Omega equivalent
4.8 catalyst drivers I am extremely happy. Only annoying thing was the fan
became noisy on my ATI card but that only put it on par with the noisy
Leadtek fan, so I got myself a Antec VGA cooler and again very happy.
What must be noted though is that the ATI card went in a brand new build,
still have the Nvidia working in old computer.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:36:41 PM

On 22/10/04 1:04 PM, GT-Force wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
> cards, and what were the issues?

I went from a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and I'm
a bit disappointed. CounterStrike doesn't look one iota better, and my
frame rates are only marginally improved and equally likely to slow down
to a crawl during much activity. Softimage also doesn't appear to have
improved much.
October 22, 2004 8:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:36:41 +1000, Richard Cavell
<richardcavell@mail.com> wrote:

>I went from a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and I'm
>a bit disappointed. CounterStrike doesn't look one iota better

WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
of your 9800?

>, and my
>frame rates are only marginally improved and equally likely to slow down
>to a crawl during much activity. Softimage also doesn't appear to have
>improved much.

You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too. My 9700 Pro run
CS:Source without any major slowdown, never mind how smoothly it plays
the original CS.
October 22, 2004 8:36:42 PM

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> On 22/10/04 1:04 PM, GT-Force wrote:
>

> I went from a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and I'm
> a bit disappointed. CounterStrike doesn't look one iota better, and my
> frame rates are only marginally improved and equally likely to slow down
> to a crawl during much activity. Softimage also doesn't appear to have
> improved much.

Huh. I did the same thing and have almost the same system as you (I looked
a few messages ahead) except I have 1.5 gig of RAM. I've found the 9800XT
to be a HUGE difference in everything... old and new. And of course, it
makes all the difference in the world in DirectX 9 games. Did you play
Halo? UT2004? The difference in those blew me away. And there simply is
no comparison in Doom 3 or Half-Life 2 (I've played the leaked pre-alpha).

The 9800XT allows me to play everything... old and new... at 1280x1024...
smooth as silk... something I could never dream of before.

I don't know what your specific issue is, but for me the difference between
those two cards is night and day...
October 22, 2004 8:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Going from a Ti4200 to a 9800xt should have made a big difference.
Something is definitely wrong with your setup, regardless of your cpu.

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> On 22/10/04 1:04 PM, GT-Force wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
>> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here
>> that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old
>> and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>
> I went from a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and I'm a
> bit disappointed. CounterStrike doesn't look one iota better, and my
> frame rates are only marginally improved and equally likely to slow down
> to a crawl during much activity. Softimage also doesn't appear to have
> improved much.
October 22, 2004 8:59:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
> went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the
> new cards, and what were the issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GT

I did similar, gf4 ti4200 to 9700 pro now to 6800 GT. No issues at all, big
performance increase each time.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 9:15:01 PM

On 22/10/04 4:55 PM, Andrew wrote:

> WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
> of your 9800?

No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100 fps +.

> You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
> refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too.

2 Gigahertz P4, 768 MB RAM.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 9:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 10/22/2004 12:15 AM Richard Cavell brightened our day with:

> On 22/10/04 4:55 PM, Andrew wrote:
>
>> WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
>> of your 9800?
>

> No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100 fps +.
>
>> You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
>> refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too.
>

> 2 Gigahertz P4, 768 MB RAM.

I just popped open CS to see how it runs, 1280x1024, 6x AA 16x Forced
Trilinear AF, never varied from 100 fps. There are game settings and
such that seem to lock it there, I quit playing CS back in 1999 though
so I don't know exactly how the console stuff works.
I have a feeling if it was unfettered it would be running at 3 or 400 fps.

That's with a 9800 Pro, whatever problem you have getting it to run at
100 fps is yours not the cards.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 9:15:03 PM

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 10/22/2004 12:15 AM Richard Cavell brightened our day with:
>
>> On 22/10/04 4:55 PM, Andrew wrote:
>>
>>> WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
>>> of your 9800?
>>

>> No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100 fps +.
>>
>>> You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
>>> refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too.
>>

>> 2 Gigahertz P4, 768 MB RAM.
>
> I just popped open CS to see how it runs, 1280x1024, 6x AA 16x Forced
> Trilinear AF, never varied from 100 fps. There are game settings and such
> that seem to lock it there, I quit playing CS back in 1999 though so I
> don't know exactly how the console stuff works.
> I have a feeling if it was unfettered it would be running at 3 or 400 fps.
>
> That's with a 9800 Pro, whatever problem you have getting it to run at 100
> fps is yours not the cards.

Isn't Counterstrike capped at 100fps?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <WK_dd.88178$yp.65834@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, GT-Force
says...
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
> cards, and what were the issues?

Went from Geforce 4 Ti4200 to a 9800 AIW. The only time I've regretted
it is when I've wanted to give Linux another go. I've dabbled a bit in
Linux and with nVidia cards its a breeze. ATI support for Linux is a
joke.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
October 22, 2004 9:49:42 PM

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 10/21/2004 8:04 PM GT-Force brightened our day with:
>
> It's not like your divorcing your second wife to go back
> to the first.

You also don't have to pay off the second company just to get it out of your
life.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:35:19 PM

On 22/10/04 5:39 PM, Inglo wrote:

> I just popped open CS to see how it runs, 1280x1024, 6x AA 16x Forced
> Trilinear AF, never varied from 100 fps. There are game settings and
> such that seem to lock it there,

I just ran it at those settings and I'm at about 60-70 fps, never higher
than 71 fps. VSync is off. I'm using the Condition Zero version of CS,
by the way.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:35:20 PM

> On 22/10/04 5:39 PM, Inglo wrote:
>
>> I just popped open CS to see how it runs, 1280x1024, 6x AA 16x Forced
>> Trilinear AF, never varied from 100 fps. There are game settings and
>> such that seem to lock it there,
>
> I just ran it at those settings and I'm at about 60-70 fps, never higher
> than 71 fps. VSync is off. I'm using the Condition Zero version of CS,
> by the way.

I believe it's capped at about 70 fps un less you use a command line switch.
October 22, 2004 10:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> On 22/10/04 5:39 PM, Inglo wrote:
>
>> I just popped open CS to see how it runs, 1280x1024, 6x AA 16x Forced
>> Trilinear AF, never varied from 100 fps. There are game settings and
>> such that seem to lock it there,
>
> I just ran it at those settings and I'm at about 60-70 fps, never higher
> than 71 fps. VSync is off. I'm using the Condition Zero version of CS,
> by the way.

try opening the ingame console and typing fpsmax

it should show you a list and it will more than likely show fpsmax 72. just
type sommet like fpsmax 100 or fpsmax 400. the fps counter doesn't go past
100 though
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:21:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Every day I regret giving up my TI4400 for a 9700Pro. The DX9 support is
nice, but driver issues and some weird screen refresh issue have hurt my ATI
experience.

"GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
> went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the
> new cards, and what were the issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GT

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

IMHO (in my humble opinion):

(4) nVidia generation 4 (like the Ti4200) series were superior to ATi cards
of the same gen.

(5) ATi cards of generation 5 (especially 9600-9800) were superior to
similar priced nVidia cards of same gen (FX5700-5900 etc)

(6) nVidia cards of generation 6 (FX6800, etc) are superior to similar
priced ATi cards of same gen (X800, etc)

Now "superior" is a subjective term, heh. This "generation 6" of ATi cards,
are horsepower monsters. But as far as technology goes, they are slightly
behind nVidia in the Shader Model 3, DirectX 9.0c, and 32bit precision. In
some applications (Half Life 2, supposedly, for one) you may get a FEW
frames per second more out of your ATi card of this generation than
comparable nVidia BUT there are also just as many (maybe more) games out
there where the 6800 series is faster. And I'm talking about EXISTING GAMES.
One reviewer described the latest ATi cards as "souped up 9800's". So yeah,
for existing games, ATi and nVidia's latest are neck and neck with frames
per second and image quality. But if you want to buy a card right now that
will be usable further into the future, go with nVidia just because they put
a bit more foreward-thinking technology into this generation.

But if you are in no hurry, then wait because maybe ATi will leapfrog nVidia
again, as they both seem to be doing lately.
October 23, 2004 12:27:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:21:12 GMT, "Philburg2"
<philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Every day I regret giving up my TI4400 for a 9700Pro. The DX9 support is
>nice, but driver issues and some weird screen refresh issue have hurt my ATI
>experience.

The 4.4 drivers work with every game/demo I play and refreshforce
sorts out the OpenGL 60fps issue.
October 23, 2004 1:22:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I'm just going from nVidia to ATI now, having been an nVidia kid for the
last couple of years. The experience has not been good so far, but I am
hopeful that all will turn out well in the end. Here's my Top 4 of things
to watch out for, all of which are missing from the instruction manual:

1 - The ATI 9800 Pro (and probably any similarly powerful card) is a power
hog. You'll need a big Power Supply Unit to get it to work, especially if
you have a handful of peripherals such as more than one hard drive or CD/DVD
drive. I'm upgrading my PSU from 300W to 450W and hoping this fixes it.
This is just a theory though - you won't get a message telling you about
this if you lack enough juice and you'll certainly find nothing in the
manual on this.

2 - The installation instructions are seriously deficient. Perhaps they
were written by someone in a hurry. There is NOTHING said at all about
power, despite the fact that the PSU must be at least 350W, and especially
given that there is a power socket on the card which needs to be plugged in!
You just have to work it out for yourself.

3 - If you get any error messages during the install, good luck! They can
be extremely cryptic, and ATI's support pleads total ignorance about them.
I tried googling one ('SEVERE - Zero display service error'), and it seems a
common error that nobody understands. Lots of people get it, but I have not
found a single explanation as to what it means and how to avoid it. The
error has been knocking around with ATI's drivers for at least 18 months, so
the lack of resolution is very disappointing.

4 - General opinion seems to be that the drivers are buggy and unreliable.
If the latest version doesn't work, Google for the previous version. If
that doesn't work, Google again for the version before that. If that
doesn't work, I've been told to try some Omega drivers for the card.

As you can tell, I'm a bit frustrated by the gap between reality and hype
here. Maybe I've just been unlucky. Maybe my card is actually broken. If
it doesn't work by this time next week, I'm going back to nVidia...
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 2:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <clbq6l$kc5$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Ben C says...

> 1 - The ATI 9800 Pro (and probably any similarly powerful card) is a power
> hog. You'll need a big Power Supply Unit to get it to work, especially if
> you have a handful of peripherals such as more than one hard drive or CD/DVD
> drive. I'm upgrading my PSU from 300W to 450W and hoping this fixes it.
> This is just a theory though - you won't get a message telling you about
> this if you lack enough juice and you'll certainly find nothing in the
> manual on this.
>
> 2 - The installation instructions are seriously deficient. Perhaps they
> were written by someone in a hurry. There is NOTHING said at all about
> power, despite the fact that the PSU must be at least 350W, and especially
> given that there is a power socket on the card which needs to be plugged in!
> You just have to work it out for yourself.
>
> 3 - If you get any error messages during the install, good luck! They can
> be extremely cryptic, and ATI's support pleads total ignorance about them.
> I tried googling one ('SEVERE - Zero display service error'), and it seems a
> common error that nobody understands. Lots of people get it, but I have not
> found a single explanation as to what it means and how to avoid it. The
> error has been knocking around with ATI's drivers for at least 18 months, so
> the lack of resolution is very disappointing.
>
> 4 - General opinion seems to be that the drivers are buggy and unreliable.
> If the latest version doesn't work, Google for the previous version. If
> that doesn't work, Google again for the version before that. If that
> doesn't work, I've been told to try some Omega drivers for the card.
>
> As you can tell, I'm a bit frustrated by the gap between reality and hype
> here. Maybe I've just been unlucky. Maybe my card is actually broken. If
> it doesn't work by this time next week, I'm going back to nVidia...

1) No it isn't. I'm running a 9800 AIW on a Shuttle 200W PSU. It
previously ran on a 350W PSU on a PC with 7 fans, 1GB RAM, XP3200,
2HDDs, 2 optical drives and neon lighting with a Coolermaster Aero 7
HSF.

2) Sorry but everything is like that. nVIDIA tell you because their
latest gen cards are stupidly power hungry.

3) Situation normal for most hardware.

4) Situation normal since Win95 for most hardware.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 2:39:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
am
> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
went
> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
> cards, and what were the issues?

I recently replaced the Radeon 9500 Pro in my main PC with a GeForce 6800.
Performance in games is good, but I have had to use beta drivers to achieve
this, the 61.77 drivers on nVidia's site wouldn't even work with all of
their tech demos, on my PC at least. Fine with the later betas. I have
also had issues with explorer hanging since I installed this card. My last
nVidia card was a GeForce 3 Ti200, which was superb - I had no driver issues
with that. Since my first 'modern' ATI card, the original All In Wonder
Radeon, my experience only is that ATI drivers have improved greatly, while
I've not been so impressed with how nVidia are doing on that front right
now.

No flames please, just my experience... And I'm not intending to get rid of
the 6800 any time soon. It's a good card, just not quite as reliable with
current drivers than the 9500 Pro.

JB
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 3:52:05 AM

GT-Force wrote:
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro),
> and I am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there
> anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so,
> what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?

This could be nice troll. ;-)

OK. I went from Club 3D ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB to this new Gainward
GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB Golden Sample. Believe or not but not so huge
differents on FPS in UT2004. My computer is P4 2.8 GHz and I have 1 GB
dual channel memery.

I had problems with ATI. Huge problems. But I find whatta do to get
work. After tree month!! You had to disable Fast Write on display
settings. OpenGL was poor and DirectX9 some weird bugs on UT2004. Worms
3D crashed if I used Fast Write on blimp view. UT2004 crashed: I got
black screen, went back to Windows Desktop, wait about 10 sec. and back
to game; if Smart something was enabled. But after this
bug-flashing-error I was dead man - of course.

So, in Worms 3D: disable Fast Write

In UT2004: disable Fast Write, use DirectX8 and enable trilinear
filtering on games settings

--> no probs.

This 6800 is so new for me that I cannot say nothing bad - yet. Only it
is very noisy when using both fans on full speed. This is now like a
nuclear power station or something. =)
October 23, 2004 5:05:26 AM

"Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> I'm just going from nVidia to ATI now, having been an nVidia kid for the
> last couple of years. The experience has not been good so far, but I am
> hopeful that all will turn out well in the end. Here's my Top 4 of things
> to watch out for, all of which are missing from the instruction manual:
>
> 1 - The ATI 9800 Pro (and probably any similarly powerful card) is a power
> hog. You'll need a big Power Supply Unit to get it to work, especially if
> you have a handful of peripherals such as more than one hard drive or
> CD/DVD drive. I'm upgrading my PSU from 300W to 450W and hoping this
> fixes it. This is just a theory though - you won't get a message telling
> you about this if you lack enough juice and you'll certainly find nothing
> in the manual on this.
>
> 2 - The installation instructions are seriously deficient. Perhaps they
> were written by someone in a hurry. There is NOTHING said at all about
> power, despite the fact that the PSU must be at least 350W, and especially
> given that there is a power socket on the card which needs to be plugged
> in! You just have to work it out for yourself.
>
> 3 - If you get any error messages during the install, good luck! They can
> be extremely cryptic, and ATI's support pleads total ignorance about them.
> I tried googling one ('SEVERE - Zero display service error'), and it seems
> a common error that nobody understands. Lots of people get it, but I have
> not found a single explanation as to what it means and how to avoid it.
> The error has been knocking around with ATI's drivers for at least 18
> months, so the lack of resolution is very disappointing.
>
> 4 - General opinion seems to be that the drivers are buggy and unreliable.
> If the latest version doesn't work, Google for the previous version. If
> that doesn't work, Google again for the version before that. If that
> doesn't work, I've been told to try some Omega drivers for the card.
>
> As you can tell, I'm a bit frustrated by the gap between reality and hype
> here. Maybe I've just been unlucky. Maybe my card is actually broken.
> If it doesn't work by this time next week, I'm going back to nVidia...

October 23, 2004 5:14:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> I'm just going from nVidia to ATI now, having been an nVidia kid for the
> last couple of years. The experience has not been good so far, but I am
> hopeful that all will turn out well in the end. Here's my Top 4 of things
> to watch out for, all of which are missing from the instruction manual:
>
> 1 - The ATI 9800 Pro (and probably any similarly powerful card) is a power
> hog. You'll need a big Power Supply Unit to get it to work, especially if
> you have a handful of peripherals such as more than one hard drive or
> CD/DVD drive. I'm upgrading my PSU from 300W to 450W and hoping this
> fixes it. This is just a theory though - you won't get a message telling
> you about this if you lack enough juice and you'll certainly find nothing
> in the manual on this.
>
> 2 - The installation instructions are seriously deficient. Perhaps they
> were written by someone in a hurry. There is NOTHING said at all about
> power, despite the fact that the PSU must be at least 350W, and especially
> given that there is a power socket on the card which needs to be plugged
> in! You just have to work it out for yourself.
>
> 3 - If you get any error messages during the install, good luck! They can
> be extremely cryptic, and ATI's support pleads total ignorance about them.
> I tried googling one ('SEVERE - Zero display service error'), and it seems
> a common error that nobody understands. Lots of people get it, but I have
> not found a single explanation as to what it means and how to avoid it.
> The error has been knocking around with ATI's drivers for at least 18
> months, so the lack of resolution is very disappointing.
>
> 4 - General opinion seems to be that the drivers are buggy and unreliable.
> If the latest version doesn't work, Google for the previous version. If
> that doesn't work, Google again for the version before that. If that
> doesn't work, I've been told to try some Omega drivers for the card.
>
> As you can tell, I'm a bit frustrated by the gap between reality and hype
> here. Maybe I've just been unlucky. Maybe my card is actually broken.
> If it doesn't work by this time next week, I'm going back to nVidia...

1. bollox. lots of people (including me) were (and stil are) running fine on
decent PSUs. Althiugh I think it is reccomended ON THE BOX to have a 350W
PSU, I am sure my Herc 9700Pro suggested this.

2. see 1

3. bollox again, first I heard of this and had ATI 9700Pro for 18months, I
also frequented rage3d forums during this time.

4.this smells like hmm... bullshit. why google for previous drivers when
they are freely available from ATI's homepage.

PS my graphics card history has been ati rage3d to 3dfx banshee to geforce
256 to geforece 256 ddr to gf 3 ti200 tot gf 4 ti 4200 to ATI 9700Pro to
6800GT. I will use an ATI again if they beat nvidia on £ to performance.
October 23, 2004 8:23:07 AM

GT-Force wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro),
> and I am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there
> anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so,
> what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GT

ati's drivers for linux and such arn't supposed to be that good
for now it's not really an issue for me, it may be in the future though

ati are (currently) cheaper than nvidia (better value for money, well def at
the mid/high end, 9800 pro)
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:47:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I went from a 5950 ultra to a 6800 GT OC.
I made sure to use drivercleaner after removing the old drivers.
Installed the 61.76 drivers and things were doing great.
Jumped to the 66.81 drivers and things still great.
Did some overclocking just to see what kind of 3dMark05 score I could get.
Got up to just above 5000.
Dropped back to 370/1000 and runs flawlessly in Doom3, Unreal Tournament
2004, Dawn of War, FarCry Demo, and a tree demo I found from a link on
nVidia's site.
Rock hard stability so far. Whew!
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 1:24:00 PM

"Justin Baker ntlworld.com>" <justin.baker@<removethis> wrote in message
> "GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
> am
>> thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
> went
>> to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
>> cards, and what were the issues?
>
> I recently replaced the Radeon 9500 Pro in my main PC with a GeForce 6800.
> Performance in games is good, but I have had to use beta drivers to
> achieve
> this, the 61.77 drivers on nVidia's site wouldn't even work with all of
> their tech demos, on my PC at least. Fine with the later betas. I have
> also had issues with explorer hanging since I installed this card. My
> last
> nVidia card was a GeForce 3 Ti200, which was superb - I had no driver
> issues
> with that. Since my first 'modern' ATI card, the original All In Wonder
> Radeon, my experience only is that ATI drivers have improved greatly,
> while
> I've not been so impressed with how nVidia are doing on that front right
> now.
>
> No flames please, just my experience... And I'm not intending to get rid
> of
> the 6800 any time soon. It's a good card, just not quite as reliable with
> current drivers than the 9500 Pro.
>
> JB

Have you tried the 66.81 drivers?
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 5:51:54 PM

"Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message news:2ttm3fF24bn9jU1@uni-berlin.de...
> 1. bollox. lots of people (including me) were (and stil are) running fine
> on decent PSUs. Althiugh I think it is reccomended ON THE BOX to have a
> 350W PSU, I am sure my Herc 9700Pro suggested this.
>
> 2. see 1
>
> 3. bollox again, first I heard of this and had ATI 9700Pro for 18months, I
> also frequented rage3d forums during this time.
>
> 4.this smells like hmm... bullshit. why google for previous drivers when
> they are freely available from ATI's homepage.
>
> PS my graphics card history has been ati rage3d to 3dfx banshee to geforce
> 256 to geforece 256 ddr to gf 3 ti200 tot gf 4 ti 4200 to ATI 9700Pro to
> 6800GT. I will use an ATI again if they beat nvidia on £ to performance.

How childish can you be? Your experience doesn't match mine, but that
doesn't make it 'bollox'. I stand by every word:
1 - There is no mention of a minimum PSU or anything like that on the box of
my Sapphire 9800 Pro (256MB). Perhaps your box is different!
2 - Ditto
3 - Just because you haven't heard of it... Google the phrase yourself and
you'll see that this problem is persistent and widespread.
4 - Googling old drivers is the fastest way to find them, not just with ATI,
but generally. Just because they are also on ATI's site doesn't mean it's
the easiest way to get them. Why is your thinking so rigid?!

Seriously, my experience of using a high-end ATI card is not good. I guess
from your post that you disagree. That doesn't make my post 'bollox' at
all. Perhaps the world is not as black-and-white as you like to think...
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:12:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

To put the power (in this case fillrate) of the stock 9800 pro into
perspective for ya - I get, in Counter-Strike, about 200-300fps at
1024x678x32@100hz 2x-AA, 4x-AF.

LOL --> "No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100
fps +." ---> You must be talking about a different video card.

in the cs console do 'fps_max 100' or whatever you want to be the maximum
and turn off VSync. And, FYI, you CPU is a limiting factor with the 9800pro
and above.

Windows XP (2600-Professional) w/ SP1
AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache
ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Pro
VIA Hyperion 4in1 451v
1024mb (2 x (512mb OCZ Platinum EL (2-3-2-5) DDR400/PC3200) Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Catalyst 4.5) (C-378mhz / M-337.5mhz) OC to
(C-411.75mhz / M-360.00mhz)
SbAudigy 5.1 (PCI-Slot 3)

120gb Western Digital WD1200JB primary/master
60gb IBM 60gxp primary/slave
16x HI-VAL DVDrom (BDV316C) secondary/master
48x/24x/48x plextor (PX-W4824A) secondary/slave

LianLi PC-6070 *Silent* Aluminum Mid-Tower Case | 2x80mm intake fans, 1x80mm
exhaust fan
PowerMax 470watt Aluminum PSU | +3.3V@26A +5V@47A +12V@28A

For reference, above is my system.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

> On 22/10/04 4:55 PM, Andrew wrote:
>
>> WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
>> of your 9800?
>
> No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100 fps +.
>
>> You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
>> refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too.
>
> 2 Gigahertz P4, 768 MB RAM.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:50:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yeah, Ben, dealing with black & white thinking can be a pain in the ass
because yep, it IS typically quite rigid.
October 24, 2004 11:15:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that
> went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the
> new cards, and what were the issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> GT

GT, can I ask you:

What is your question????!?!??!?? Please can you re-state it? Everyone is
jumping in with answers, and yet we don't actually know what your question
is.

Your post says FROM nvidia TO ati

Your test says TO nvidia FROM ati

Which is it???????

Chip
October 24, 2004 11:15:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

If you've read more than the topic, you sould have seen my question. Here it
is once more, for you:

"Is there anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so,
what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?"

I do not know, how clearer can I make it? Sorry...

GT

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> "GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
>> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here
>> that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old
>> and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> GT
>
> GT, can I ask you:
>
> What is your question????!?!??!?? Please can you re-state it? Everyone
> is jumping in with answers, and yet we don't actually know what your
> question is.
>
> Your post says FROM nvidia TO ati
>
> Your test says TO nvidia FROM ati
>
> Which is it???????
>
> Chip

October 24, 2004 11:16:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> "GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
>> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here
>> that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old
>> and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> GT
>
> GT, can I ask you:
>
> What is your question????!?!??!?? Please can you re-state it? Everyone
> is jumping in with answers, and yet we don't actually know what your
> question is.
>
> Your post says FROM nvidia TO ati
>
> Your test says TO nvidia FROM ati

Sorry, I meant "Your *text* says....." (Not "test" says) Doh.....
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 11:32:58 PM

"Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Ben C, I looked back but I can't see exactly what the problem is with your
> card. <snip>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powe...
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike. My old nVidia card was a tiny GeForce 5200. It used so little
power that it didn't even have a power socket on it. The new card is much
larger, with whopping heatsinks and a power socket. As I only have a 300W
PSU, feeding 2 hard drives, 2 DVD drives, and a bunch of USB/Firewire
peripherals, I suspect that my PSU needs upgrading but I'm not at all
certain. The attempted upgrade went as follows:

1 - Uninstalled all the old drivers
2 - Powered off
3 - Removed the old card, inserted the new card and connected power to it.
4 - Powered on
5 - Windows recognises the new card. Firstly I let it try installing by
itself. At the end, the card does not appear to be working, as even
scrolling web pages are jumpy. Device manager lists the card but with
'Microsoft' beside it. I guess this is because it's tried using MS drivers.
6 - Uninstalled drivers and rebooted. Then cancelled the automatic Windows
install and manually installed using drivers from the install disk. Error
messages in the install process ('SEVERE - Zero display service error').
Same end result.
7 - Uninstalled drivers and rebooted. Then cancelled the automatic Windows
install and manually used the latest drivers from ATI's site. Same errors,
and same end result.
8 - Tried various other options, including disconnecting my CD/DVD drives,
all USB devices and one hard drive before powering up again. The card still
appears to be not working.

Perhaps my card is faulty. Any other theories? Thanks for any
opinions/theories as to the cause/remedy...
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:57:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

What motherboard do you have? The generic MS drivers act like you describe
but should ID the card properly. It's the card not identifying that is
causing the driver install to fail as well I suspect.
I never unistall the MS drivers before putting the ATI in (the card is ATI,
not another brand?)
Try leaving the MS drivers in although I suspect the card id to be bad for
some reason. Was the card's bios ever flashed? Also try a good nvidia
driver cleaner and installing xpSP2... assuming you're using XP.. also make
sure you use the proper os (xp, 2k, etc) drivers.

It seems to me that the card may be bad, either a bad unit or a bad flash.
But I've never seen that arror in about 30 ATI builds I've done, I might be
missing something.

Mike

> "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> Ben C, I looked back but I can't see exactly what the problem is with
>> your card. <snip>
>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powe...
>>
>> Mike
>
> Thanks Mike. My old nVidia card was a tiny GeForce 5200. It used so
> little power that it didn't even have a power socket on it. The new card
> is much larger, with whopping heatsinks and a power socket. As I only
> have a 300W PSU, feeding 2 hard drives, 2 DVD drives, and a bunch of
> USB/Firewire peripherals, I suspect that my PSU needs upgrading but I'm
> not at all certain. The attempted upgrade went as follows:
>
> 1 - Uninstalled all the old drivers
> 2 - Powered off
> 3 - Removed the old card, inserted the new card and connected power to it.
> 4 - Powered on
> 5 - Windows recognises the new card. Firstly I let it try installing by
> itself. At the end, the card does not appear to be working, as even
> scrolling web pages are jumpy. Device manager lists the card but with
> 'Microsoft' beside it. I guess this is because it's tried using MS
> drivers.
> 6 - Uninstalled drivers and rebooted. Then cancelled the automatic
> Windows install and manually installed using drivers from the install
> disk. Error messages in the install process ('SEVERE - Zero display
> service error'). Same end result.
> 7 - Uninstalled drivers and rebooted. Then cancelled the automatic
> Windows install and manually used the latest drivers from ATI's site.
> Same errors, and same end result.
> 8 - Tried various other options, including disconnecting my CD/DVD drives,
> all USB devices and one hard drive before powering up again. The card
> still appears to be not working.
>
> Perhaps my card is faulty. Any other theories? Thanks for any
> opinions/theories as to the cause/remedy...

October 25, 2004 3:39:41 AM

> If you've read more than the topic, you sould have seen my question. Here
> it is once more, for you:
>
> "Is there anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If
> so, what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?"
>
> I do not know, how clearer can I make it? Sorry...

Did you ***READ*** what you posted. i.e. the TITLE to this thread. Please
READ it!

I quote you: "RE: Anyone went FROM nVidia to ATI"

Now read what you just said above.

See the confusion???? Complete opposites.

Chip

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> "GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
>>> am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here
>>> that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old
>>> and the new cards, and what were the issues?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> GT
>>
>> GT, can I ask you:
>>
>> What is your question????!?!??!?? Please can you re-state it? Everyone
>> is jumping in with answers, and yet we don't actually know what your
>> question is.
>>
>> Your post says FROM nvidia TO ati
>>
>> Your test says TO nvidia FROM ati
>>
>> Which is it???????
>>
>> Chip

October 25, 2004 3:39:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yes, I see the confusion, and I say that the text has the real question. If
you've read the text, in addition to the title, you'd see what the real
question was. Apparently, my mind was working backwards while typing the
title, but gladly, the text has it all.
That's all. Sorry if the confusion hurt your brain so much...
Take care...

> "GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> If you've read more than the topic, you sould have seen my question. Here
>> it is once more, for you:
>>
>> "Is there anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If
>> so, what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?"
>>
>> I do not know, how clearer can I make it? Sorry...
>>

> Did you ***READ*** what you posted. i.e. the TITLE to this thread.
> Please READ it!
>
> I quote you: "RE: Anyone went FROM nVidia to ATI"
>
> Now read what you just said above.
>
> See the confusion???? Complete opposites.
>
> Chip
>

>> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>>> "GT-Force" <dummyacct@operamail.com> wrote in message

>>> GT, can I ask you:
>>>
>>> What is your question????!?!??!?? Please can you re-state it? Everyone
>>> is jumping in with answers, and yet we don't actually know what your
>>> question is.
>>>
>>> Your post says FROM nvidia TO ati
>>>
>>> Your test says TO nvidia FROM ati
>>>
>>> Which is it???????
>>>
>>> Chip

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 5:49:58 PM

Richard Cavell wrote:
> On 22/10/04 5:39 PM, Inglo wrote:
> I just ran it at those settings and I'm at about 60-70 fps, never higher
> than 71 fps. VSync is off. I'm using the Condition Zero version of CS,
> by the way.

Richard,

I've never had this happen to me, but some folks with fps issues after
switching to an ATI seem to have issues with the old Nvidia drivers not
having been deinstalled entirely. Apparently just deinstalling the card
and drivers in Windows System Manager sometimes isn't enough.

There are driver deinstallation tools available on the net which you
might want to give a try. I have no URL unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I went from a GF4 Ti4600 to a Radeon 9700 Pro, and
the visual quality was dramatically better on the Radeon, while the fps
was maybe not that much higher without FF and Aniso enabled, but with
4xFF and 8xAniso, the Radeon outran the 4600 by landmiles.

Don't give up just yet ;)

--
Achim
http://users.skynet.be/AchimT

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I *believe* the Radeon 9700 Pro is an entire generation of card newer than
the GeForce 4 cards so yeah, it should blow the Ti4600 out of the water.
Here is a link to a great driver deinstaller:
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

> Richard,
>
> I've never had this happen to me, but some folks with fps issues after
> switching to an ATI seem to have issues with the old Nvidia drivers not
> having been deinstalled entirely. Apparently just deinstalling the card
> and drivers in Windows System Manager sometimes isn't enough.
>
> There are driver deinstallation tools available on the net which you might
> want to give a try. I have no URL unfortunately.
>
> For what it's worth, I went from a GF4 Ti4600 to a Radeon 9700 Pro, and
> the visual quality was dramatically better on the Radeon, while the fps
> was maybe not that much higher without FF and Aniso enabled, but with 4xFF
> and 8xAniso, the Radeon outran the 4600 by landmiles.
>
> Don't give up just yet ;)
>
> --
> Achim
> http://users.skynet.be/AchimT
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 7:41:11 PM

> For what it's worth, I went from a GF4 Ti4600 to a Radeon 9700 Pro, and
> the visual quality was dramatically better on the Radeon, while the fps
> was maybe not that much higher without FF and Aniso enabled, but with 4xFF
> and 8xAniso, the Radeon outran the 4600 by landmiles.
>
> Don't give up just yet ;)

Well gee,the 6800 is landmiles better than the 9700.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 4:33:23 AM

> What motherboard do you have? The generic MS drivers act like you
> describe but should ID the card properly. It's the card not identifying
> that is causing the driver install to fail as well I suspect.
> I never unistall the MS drivers before putting the ATI in (the card is
> ATI, not another brand?)
> Try leaving the MS drivers in although I suspect the card id to be bad for
> some reason. Was the card's bios ever flashed? Also try a good nvidia
> driver cleaner and installing xpSP2... assuming you're using XP.. also
> make sure you use the proper os (xp, 2k, etc) drivers.
>
> It seems to me that the card may be bad, either a bad unit or a bad flash.
> But I've never seen that arror in about 30 ATI builds I've done, I might
> be missing something.
>
> Mike

Ahhhhh, that's better. So much for me regurgitating common myths about
inadequate PSUs! I just upgraded the PSU from 300W to 450W and as if by
magic, my shiny new ATI card works like a dream. Still had the cryptic
error message during the install, but I just OK'd it and the card seems to
be working beautifully. Thanks for the moral support while I wrestled with
it! Dontcha just love a happy ending?!

Ben
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 6:02:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have just "upgraded" from Ti4600 to 9700pro and to be honest I don't see
muct improvement while playing Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

Forgive my ignorance but where do you set FF anansio? Can anyone advise on
the setups the get max performance out of these 2 games with the 9700pro

Regards

Barry

!