New Nvidia card worth it?

Hi all,

I'm considering a new card upgrade to maximise performance in HL2 and
hopefully Battlefield 2 which is due out in the Spring. Six months ago I
purchased a 9800 Pro to replace my Ti4200, and because of the driver
issues I'm thinking of going back to Nvidia.

My current specs:

Abit NF7-S
2800 Barton
1Gb 3200 DDR

I also just bought a Dell 2001fp TFT monitor, which has a native
resolution of 1600 x 1200 (20.1 inch), but it interpolates down to 1280
x 1024 without too much image degradation. Therefore I only really need
to hit 60fps max, but constant, and I've enabled V-Sync.

My Counter Strike: Source video stress test at 1280 x 1024 gives me
roughly 50fps, but it stutters in parts of the test.

I'm not really a hardcore gamer, I just play for fun and like things to
look pretty. So the cost of the monitor and a new 6800 GT is probably a
bit too much for me to spend right now. Therefore, are there any other
new cards that might give me a boost. Looking around it seems the 128Mb
6800 cards are around £100 cheaper than the 256Mb cards, so I was
wondering if these 256Mb cards are really needed right now.

If it has to be the 6800 GT then so be it, my fault for buying such a
huge monitor. :)

Thanks,

Rob.
2 answers Last reply
More about nvidia card worth

    > I also just bought a Dell 2001fp TFT monitor, which has a native
    > resolution of 1600 x 1200 (20.1 inch), but it interpolates down to 1280
    > x 1024 without too much image degradation. Therefore I only really need
    It should scale down to 800x600 pretty well, too.

    9800 XT card is not bad but if you can afford 6800 GT is not bad at all..

    I know its nvidia group but "us" users want performance at affordable price
    I hope more companies make graphics card that beats both nvidia and ATI..

    "Cheesy" <A@A.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm considering a new card upgrade to maximise performance in HL2 and
    > hopefully Battlefield 2 which is due out in the Spring. Six months ago I
    > purchased a 9800 Pro to replace my Ti4200, and because of the driver
    > issues I'm thinking of going back to Nvidia.
    >
    > My current specs:
    >
    > Abit NF7-S
    > 2800 Barton
    > 1Gb 3200 DDR
    >
    > I also just bought a Dell 2001fp TFT monitor, which has a native
    > resolution of 1600 x 1200 (20.1 inch), but it interpolates down to 1280
    > x 1024 without too much image degradation. Therefore I only really need
    > to hit 60fps max, but constant, and I've enabled V-Sync.
    >
    > My Counter Strike: Source video stress test at 1280 x 1024 gives me
    > roughly 50fps, but it stutters in parts of the test.
    >
    > I'm not really a hardcore gamer, I just play for fun and like things to
    > look pretty. So the cost of the monitor and a new 6800 GT is probably a
    > bit too much for me to spend right now. Therefore, are there any other
    > new cards that might give me a boost. Looking around it seems the 128Mb
    > 6800 cards are around £100 cheaper than the 256Mb cards, so I was
    > wondering if these 256Mb cards are really needed right now.
    >
    > If it has to be the 6800 GT then so be it, my fault for buying such a
    > huge monitor. :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rob.

Nvidia Graphics