Can anyone recommend 19" TFT suitable for gaming?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

Hi all,

Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a 19" TFT
but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget of up to £400. I
have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used 1710S and 1720B, both are
17" though. I would like the LG 1920P (£387) because it looks very smart.
But some reviews/opinions seem to contradict each other re: ghosting in
games.

Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of any better
alternatives?

Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or dual
input.

If I can't find a suitable 19" I may just go with the LG1710B because I'm
familiar with it and like it very much, also has dual input, priced about
£250.

Thanks.

TonyC
22 answers Last reply
More about recommend suitable gaming
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    I am using the Samsung after a comparison test, this one is the 191T,
    however the best of the bunch was the Sony, but it's a silly price.

    "TonyC" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a 19" TFT
    > but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget of up to £400.
    > I have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used 1710S and 1720B, both
    > are 17" though. I would like the LG 1920P (£387) because it looks very
    > smart. But some reviews/opinions seem to contradict each other re:
    > ghosting in games.
    >
    > Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of any
    > better alternatives?
    >
    > Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or dual
    > input.
    >
    > If I can't find a suitable 19" I may just go with the LG1710B because I'm
    > familiar with it and like it very much, also has dual input, priced about
    > £250.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > TonyC

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2296017894&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=73980

    Mat
    "TonyC" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a 19" TFT
    > but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget of up to £400.
    > have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used 1710S and 1720B, both
    are
    > 17" though. I would like the LG 1920P (£387) because it looks very smart.
    > But some reviews/opinions seem to contradict each other re: ghosting in
    > games.
    >
    > Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of any
    better
    > alternatives?
    >
    > Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or dual
    > input.
    >
    > If I can't find a suitable 19" I may just go with the LG1710B because I'm
    > familiar with it and like it very much, also has dual input, priced about
    > £250.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > TonyC

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    TonyC wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a 19"
    > TFT but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget of up
    > to £400. I have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used 1710S
    > and 1720B, both are 17" though. I would like the LG 1920P (£387)
    > because it looks very smart. But some reviews/opinions seem to
    > contradict each other re: ghosting in games.
    >
    > Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of any
    > better alternatives?
    >
    > Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or
    > dual input.
    >
    > If I can't find a suitable 19" I may just go with the LG1710B because
    > I'm familiar with it and like it very much, also has dual input,
    > priced about £250.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > TonyC

    Unless the extra desk space really is worth an extra £150 to you why not get
    a VMPro 454.?

    I've had mine since early last year and absolutely love it, it's also been
    on the PC Pro 'A' List for almost as long as it's been available.

    It runs a beautiful 1600*1200 and if you're a resolution nut it will go all
    the way up to 1920*1440.

    Every time I think about going TFT I always end up spending the money on
    more memory or a faster processor rathen than a couple of square feet of my
    desk.

    All the best,

    --
    Alan

    alan@lordkhaos.dyndns.org
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "John Spencer" <linker500@REMOVEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > You want a TFT
    > with the lowest refresh rate possible, look for around 17ms. I've never
    > seen a 19in TFT achieve that.

    Well then look here. 16ms

    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    Matthew Augier (dps) wrote:
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2296017894&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=73980

    That doesn't have DVI.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message

    > "John Spencer" <linker500@REMOVEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You want a TFT
    >> with the lowest refresh rate possible, look for around 17ms. I've never
    >> seen a 19in TFT achieve that.
    >>

    > Well then look here. 16ms
    >
    > http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/

    Or http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.htm

    12ms.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041015/index.html

    Reading the above suggests that there is more to the response times quoted
    by different manufacturers which makes it hard to compare them like for
    like.

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive problems...
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    ">
    > "John Spencer" <linker500@REMOVEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > You want a TFT
    > > with the lowest refresh rate possible, look for around 17ms. I've never
    > > seen a 19in TFT achieve that.

    LG1920B has a response time of 16ms because of that new S-IPS matrix.It's a
    really good TFT.

    Hey Tony you said you had experience with the 1720B.You mind telling me
    something more about it ?
    I'm looking to replace my really old Nokia 17'' CRT with the LG 1720P and
    the only difference betwen B and P is in the DVI connector.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Glitch wrote:
    > ">
    >
    >>"John Spencer" <linker500@REMOVEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> You want a TFT
    >>>with the lowest refresh rate possible, look for around 17ms. I've never
    >>>seen a 19in TFT achieve that.
    >

    > LG1920B has a response time of 16ms because of that new S-IPS matrix.It's a
    > really good TFT.
    >
    > Hey Tony you said you had experience with the 1720B.You mind telling me
    > something more about it ?
    > I'm looking to replace my really old Nokia 17'' CRT with the LG 1720P and
    > the only difference betwen B and P is in the DVI connector.

    Go for the DVI, i d' recommend...the image quality is much better - with
    an analog connector, the benefits of the tft are mostly gone!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:34:28 +0100, "TonyC" <nospam@home.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a 19" TFT
    >but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget of up to £400. I
    >have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used 1710S and 1720B, both are
    >17" though. I would like the LG 1920P (£387) because it looks very smart.
    >But some reviews/opinions seem to contradict each other re: ghosting in
    >games.
    >
    >Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of any better
    >alternatives?
    >
    >Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or dual
    >input.

    Hi,

    Might be worth looking at some decent non DVI panels running from a
    decent video card, there is _very_ little extra improvement that DVI
    can give.

    cheers,
    Pete.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "orlando" <fra.orlando@web.de> wrote in message
    > Go for the DVI, i d' recommend...the image quality is much better - with
    > an analog connector, the benefits of the tft are mostly gone!
    I don't think you understood me.I do plan to go with a LCD that has a DVI
    because I know of the benefits.I asked him for a review of LG1720B because
    it's the same as P so response time and viewing angles should be the same.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message

    > "John Spencer" <linker500@REMOVEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You want a TFT
    >> with the lowest refresh rate possible, look for around 17ms. I've never
    >> seen a 19in TFT achieve that.
    >>

    > Well then look here. 16ms
    >
    > http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/

    I've got one of these and it's great - haven't noticed any blurring with
    games, and no dead/lazy pixels either - can definitely recommend it

    Simon
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "Pete C" <petecnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:34:28 +0100, "TonyC" <nospam@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a 19" TFT
    >>but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget of up to £400.
    >>have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used 1710S and 1720B, both
    >>are
    >>17" though. I would like the LG 1920P (£387) because it looks very smart.
    >>But some reviews/opinions seem to contradict each other re: ghosting in
    >>games.
    >>
    >>Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of any
    >>better
    >>alternatives?
    >>
    >>Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or dual
    >>input.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Might be worth looking at some decent non DVI panels running from a
    > decent video card, there is _very_ little extra improvement that DVI
    > can give.
    >
    > cheers,
    > Pete.

    Thanks folks for pointing out some good alternatives. The ViewSonic VX910
    looks very nice. I have also since found the LG 1920P for £316! My reason
    behind wanting dual output is not down to just wanting DVI, but so I can run
    2 PC's from 1 monitor, as I can with my VM Pro450.

    Someone with first hand experience of a LG 1920P would be most welcome.

    Thanks all for your input.

    TonyC
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    I have also since found the LG 1920P for £316!

    Which site has this monitor for £316? or is this ex vat.

    Thanks

    Nick
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    I have also since found the LG 1920P for £316!

    Which site has this monitor for £316? or is this ex vat.

    Thanks

    Nick
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "TalkTalker" <talktalk@NOSPAMoffers.plus.com> wrote in message
    >> Well then look here. 16ms
    >>
    >> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/
    >>

    > Or http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.htm

    Both look great but how much and do they have a Guarantee of no dead pixels
    for that price ?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    http://www.benq.com/display/lcd_fp937s.html
    12ms.......................no ghosting that I can see............reasonably
    priced here in Canada..not sure about the UK
    peter
    "Nick" <nick@notfairadsl.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I have also since found the LG 1920P for £316!
    >
    > Which site has this monitor for £316? or is this ex vat.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nick

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    John Spencer wrote:
    > "TalkTalker" <talktalk@NOSPAMoffers.plus.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Well then look here. 16ms
    >>>
    >>>http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/
    >>>

    >>Or http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.htm
    >

    > Both look great but how much and do they have a Guarantee of no dead pixels
    > for that price ?

    Yes, but only for pure white or black (i.e. RGB all dead). Any Red,
    Green or Blue only SPDs have to be more than 7 before they'll consider a
    warranty swap (as I found out with my VX910 with one green top right
    hand corner).

    I'd still buy another VX910 or a 912 in a shot though.

    --
    somnambulist
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    Only said prefer...

    Mat
    "Christopher Quigley" <news@quigleyfam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > Mat
    > > "TonyC" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> Currently looking to replace my ageing Iiyama VMPro450. I want a
    > >> 19" TFT but am concerned about ghosting in games. I have a budget
    > >> of up to £400. I have used, and like very much LG TFT's. Have used
    > >> 1710S and 1720B, both are 17" though. I would like the LG 1920P
    > >> (£387) because it looks very smart. But some reviews/opinions seem
    > >> to contradict each other re: ghosting in games.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone got any recommendations? Or even used a LG 1920P? Know of
    > >> any better alternatives?
    > >>
    > >> Built in speakers not required. Prefer silver/black. Prefer DVI or
    > >> dual input.
    > >>
    > >> If I can't find a suitable 19" I may just go with the LG1710B
    > >> because I'm familiar with it and like it very much, also has dual
    > >> input, priced about £250.
    > >>

    > >> Thanks.
    > >>
    > Matthew Augier (dps) wrote:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2296017894&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=73980

    > That doesn't have DVI.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "orlando" <fra.orlando@web.de> wrote in message
    > Glitch wrote:

    > Go for the DVI, i d' recommend...the image quality is much better - with
    > an analog connector, the benefits of the tft are mostly gone!

    ....like they're not as flat. And not as lightweight???!?!??
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "orlando" <fra.orlando@web.de> wrote in message
    > > Glitch wrote:
    >
    > > Go for the DVI, i d' recommend...the image quality is much better - with
    > > an analog connector, the benefits of the tft are mostly gone!
    >
    > ...like they're not as flat. And not as lightweight???!?!??

    It's a well known fact that analog TFTs are as round as weather balloons and
    heavy as bowling balls. They also make rude noises and electrocute anyone
    who steps on their power cord, all the while seducing your daughter and
    raiding the liquor cabinet. My uncle had one, now he screams at the sight
    of lightning and his daughter sees a therapist.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:34:28 +0100, "TonyC" <nospam@home.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    >If I can't find a suitable 19" I may just go with the LG1710B because I'm
    >familiar with it and like it very much, also has dual input, priced about
    >£250.

    Althought not a 19" I got a BenQ 17 inch TFT with VGA input and 15ms
    response time. No ghosting, very good image quality. Far far better
    than the Teshiba laptop's display I had. AFAIK they also do 19".

    The best thing to do is look for a fast refresh, 15ms or around that
    are now common place.
    --
    Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
    You come and glow, you come and glow.