G6-400 (original) Hard Drive

Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
slave to the new HD.

How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(

Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?

Thank you, Bruno
6 answers Last reply
More about original hard drive

    If the drive is in the system, it should simply be a matter of copying
    the files using Windows Explorer.

    Bruno R wrote:
    > Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
    > also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
    > slave to the new HD.
    >
    > How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
    > possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
    > format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
    >
    > Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
    >
    > Thank you, Bruno

    Are you trying to use old data files for W98 applications with newer XP
    versions of those applications? If so that will probably not be possible
    unless the application specifically allows it or offers a conversion
    routine.

    Generic files (.txt,.jpg, etc.) should be completely accessible.

    Be carfeful not to move any old system files into XP areas! You're doing
    reinstalls of your apps to the new drive right? You're not attempting to
    just move stuff?

    "Bruno R" <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote in message
    > Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
    > also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
    > slave to the new HD.
    >
    > How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
    > possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
    > format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
    >
    > Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
    >
    > Thank you, Bruno

    If there is a "possible format conflict" and you can only read some of the
    files, hold off a bit before you do anything. There is some possibility that
    copying files from the old drive could mess up the new drive. If you can
    resolve the "format conflict", be 100% certain that the old drive's content is
    virus-free before you do anything.

    Now then, please provide more specific information about the suspected format
    conflict and which files are readable and which are not.

    As a general rule of thumb, it is OK to copy data files from an old operating
    system to a new one. But forget about the programs which may not be compatible
    with the new OS and which generally have registry entries to make copying the
    programs almost impossible. Once you've copied data files onto the new
    computer, you need to have comparable software to read them. Files created with
    Microsoft Office 97, for example, can be read perfectly with whatever newer
    version of Office you may have. Same with Corel Office, PhotoShop, Adobe
    Acrobat, etc.

    But let's get things in the right order. Describe more completely the symptoms
    you are seeing. I did a similar copying of data for a client last week. He
    replaced a white box clone with a Dell Dimension 2400. I cabled the old hard
    drive into the new system temporarily, and copied My Documents in a matter of
    minutes.

    It's possible that the old drive is set up incorrectly in the new system. I
    have a problem understanding why it would not be 100% accessable.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:04 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

    >Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
    >also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
    >slave to the new HD.
    >
    >How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
    >possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
    >format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
    >
    >Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
    >
    >Thank you, Bruno

    Thank you everyone, for your advice!

    I have a "new" 74.8 GB C-Drive formatted with NTFS, and an "old" 9.46 GB
    (now) E-Derive formatted with FAT 32. (For a while I will leave well
    enough alone!); However, I seem to understand that I could read any
    files from the E-Derive if I use the same (or equivalent) program that
    they were created with. Since I still have all the installation disks
    that came with the G6-400 I might install those programs onto the new
    C-Drive when needed. Thanks, Bruno

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > If there is a "possible format conflict" and you can only read some of the
    > files, hold off a bit before you do anything. There is some possibility that
    > copying files from the old drive could mess up the new drive. If you can
    > resolve the "format conflict", be 100% certain that the old drive's content is
    > virus-free before you do anything.
    >
    > Now then, please provide more specific information about the suspected format
    > conflict and which files are readable and which are not.
    >
    > As a general rule of thumb, it is OK to copy data files from an old operating
    > system to a new one. But forget about the programs which may not be compatible
    > with the new OS and which generally have registry entries to make copying the
    > programs almost impossible. Once you've copied data files onto the new
    > computer, you need to have comparable software to read them. Files created with
    > Microsoft Office 97, for example, can be read perfectly with whatever newer
    > version of Office you may have. Same with Corel Office, PhotoShop, Adobe
    > Acrobat, etc.
    >
    > But let's get things in the right order. Describe more completely the symptoms
    > you are seeing. I did a similar copying of data for a client last week. He
    > replaced a white box clone with a Dell Dimension 2400. I cabled the old hard
    > drive into the new system temporarily, and copied My Documents in a matter of
    > minutes.
    >
    > It's possible that the old drive is set up incorrectly in the new system. I
    > have a problem understanding why it would not be 100% accessable.
    >
    > .... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:04 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
    >>also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
    >>slave to the new HD.
    >>
    >>How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
    >>possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
    >>format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
    >>
    >>Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
    >>
    >>Thank you, Bruno

    Yes, but before re-installed the old software, make sure that it will run under
    XP and make sure that a newer version is either not installed already or
    available for free download (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader)... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:29:11 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

    >Thank you everyone, for your advice!
    >
    >I have a "new" 74.8 GB C-Drive formatted with NTFS, and an "old" 9.46 GB
    >(now) E-Derive formatted with FAT 32. (For a while I will leave well
    >enough alone!); However, I seem to understand that I could read any
    >files from the E-Derive if I use the same (or equivalent) program that
    >they were created with. Since I still have all the installation disks
    >that came with the G6-400 I might install those programs onto the new
    >C-Drive when needed. Thanks, Bruno
    >
    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> If there is a "possible format conflict" and you can only read some of the
    >> files, hold off a bit before you do anything. There is some possibility that
    >> copying files from the old drive could mess up the new drive. If you can
    >> resolve the "format conflict", be 100% certain that the old drive's content is
    >> virus-free before you do anything.
    >>
    >> Now then, please provide more specific information about the suspected format
    >> conflict and which files are readable and which are not.
    >>
    >> As a general rule of thumb, it is OK to copy data files from an old operating
    >> system to a new one. But forget about the programs which may not be compatible
    >> with the new OS and which generally have registry entries to make copying the
    >> programs almost impossible. Once you've copied data files onto the new
    >> computer, you need to have comparable software to read them. Files created with
    >> Microsoft Office 97, for example, can be read perfectly with whatever newer
    >> version of Office you may have. Same with Corel Office, PhotoShop, Adobe
    >> Acrobat, etc.
    >>
    >> But let's get things in the right order. Describe more completely the symptoms
    >> you are seeing. I did a similar copying of data for a client last week. He
    >> replaced a white box clone with a Dell Dimension 2400. I cabled the old hard
    >> drive into the new system temporarily, and copied My Documents in a matter of
    >> minutes.
    >>
    >> It's possible that the old drive is set up incorrectly in the new system. I
    >> have a problem understanding why it would not be 100% accessable.
    >>
    >> .... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:04 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
    >>>also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
    >>>slave to the new HD.
    >>>
    >>>How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
    >>>possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
    >>>format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
    >>>
    >>>Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you, Bruno

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Just be careful to verify the programs work with XP - though some, like
    Office, will, things like DVD decoders, antivirus, etc., that shipped
    with 98/ME will generally need to be upgraded to newer versions to work
    with XP.

    Bruno R wrote:
    > Thank you everyone, for your advice!
    >
    > I have a "new" 74.8 GB C-Drive formatted with NTFS, and an "old" 9.46 GB
    > (now) E-Derive formatted with FAT 32. (For a while I will leave well
    > enough alone!); However, I seem to understand that I could read any
    > files from the E-Derive if I use the same (or equivalent) program that
    > they were created with. Since I still have all the installation disks
    > that came with the G6-400 I might install those programs onto the new
    > C-Drive when needed. Thanks, Bruno

Gateway Hard Drives HD Computers