G6-400 (original) Hard Drive

Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
slave to the new HD.

How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(

Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?

Thank you, Bruno

If the drive is in the system, it should simply be a matter of copying
the files using Windows Explorer.

Bruno R wrote:
> Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
> also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
> slave to the new HD.
>
> How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
> possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
> format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
>
> Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
>
> Thank you, Bruno

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Are you trying to use old data files for W98 applications with newer XP
versions of those applications? If so that will probably not be possible
unless the application specifically allows it or offers a conversion
routine.

Generic files (.txt,.jpg, etc.) should be completely accessible.

Be carfeful not to move any old system files into XP areas! You're doing
reinstalls of your apps to the new drive right? You're not attempting to
just move stuff?

"Bruno R" <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote in message
> Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
> also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
> slave to the new HD.
>
> How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
> possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
> format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
>
> Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
>
> Thank you, Bruno

If there is a "possible format conflict" and you can only read some of the
files, hold off a bit before you do anything. There is some possibility that
copying files from the old drive could mess up the new drive. If you can
resolve the "format conflict", be 100% certain that the old drive's content is
virus-free before you do anything.

Now then, please provide more specific information about the suspected format
conflict and which files are readable and which are not.

As a general rule of thumb, it is OK to copy data files from an old operating
system to a new one. But forget about the programs which may not be compatible
with the new OS and which generally have registry entries to make copying the
programs almost impossible. Once you've copied data files onto the new
computer, you need to have comparable software to read them. Files created with
Microsoft Office 97, for example, can be read perfectly with whatever newer
version of Office you may have. Same with Corel Office, PhotoShop, Adobe
Acrobat, etc.

But let's get things in the right order. Describe more completely the symptoms
you are seeing. I did a similar copying of data for a client last week. He
replaced a white box clone with a Dell Dimension 2400. I cabled the old hard
drive into the new system temporarily, and copied My Documents in a matter of
minutes.

It's possible that the old drive is set up incorrectly in the new system. I
have a problem understanding why it would not be 100% accessable.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:04 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

>Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
>also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
>slave to the new HD.
>
>How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
>possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
>format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
>
>Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
>
>Thank you, Bruno

Thank you everyone, for your advice!

I have a "new" 74.8 GB C-Drive formatted with NTFS, and an "old" 9.46 GB
(now) E-Derive formatted with FAT 32. (For a while I will leave well
enough alone!); However, I seem to understand that I could read any
files from the E-Derive if I use the same (or equivalent) program that
they were created with. Since I still have all the installation disks
that came with the G6-400 I might install those programs onto the new
C-Drive when needed. Thanks, Bruno

Ben Myers wrote:
> If there is a "possible format conflict" and you can only read some of the
> files, hold off a bit before you do anything. There is some possibility that
> copying files from the old drive could mess up the new drive. If you can
> resolve the "format conflict", be 100% certain that the old drive's content is
> virus-free before you do anything.
>
> Now then, please provide more specific information about the suspected format
> conflict and which files are readable and which are not.
>
> As a general rule of thumb, it is OK to copy data files from an old operating
> system to a new one. But forget about the programs which may not be compatible
> with the new OS and which generally have registry entries to make copying the
> programs almost impossible. Once you've copied data files onto the new
> computer, you need to have comparable software to read them. Files created with
> Microsoft Office 97, for example, can be read perfectly with whatever newer
> version of Office you may have. Same with Corel Office, PhotoShop, Adobe
> Acrobat, etc.
>
> But let's get things in the right order. Describe more completely the symptoms
> you are seeing. I did a similar copying of data for a client last week. He
> replaced a white box clone with a Dell Dimension 2400. I cabled the old hard
> drive into the new system temporarily, and copied My Documents in a matter of
> minutes.
>
> It's possible that the old drive is set up incorrectly in the new system. I
> have a problem understanding why it would not be 100% accessable.
>
> .... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:04 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>

>>Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
>>also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
>>slave to the new HD.
>>
>>How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
>>possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
>>format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
>>
>>Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
>>
>>Thank you, Bruno

Yes, but before re-installed the old software, make sure that it will run under
XP and make sure that a newer version is either not installed already or
available for free download (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader)... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:29:11 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

>Thank you everyone, for your advice!
>
>I have a "new" 74.8 GB C-Drive formatted with NTFS, and an "old" 9.46 GB
>(now) E-Derive formatted with FAT 32. (For a while I will leave well
>enough alone!); However, I seem to understand that I could read any
>files from the E-Derive if I use the same (or equivalent) program that
>they were created with. Since I still have all the installation disks
>that came with the G6-400 I might install those programs onto the new
>C-Drive when needed. Thanks, Bruno
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>> If there is a "possible format conflict" and you can only read some of the
>> files, hold off a bit before you do anything. There is some possibility that
>> copying files from the old drive could mess up the new drive. If you can
>> resolve the "format conflict", be 100% certain that the old drive's content is
>> virus-free before you do anything.
>>
>> Now then, please provide more specific information about the suspected format
>> conflict and which files are readable and which are not.
>>
>> As a general rule of thumb, it is OK to copy data files from an old operating
>> system to a new one. But forget about the programs which may not be compatible
>> with the new OS and which generally have registry entries to make copying the
>> programs almost impossible. Once you've copied data files onto the new
>> computer, you need to have comparable software to read them. Files created with
>> Microsoft Office 97, for example, can be read perfectly with whatever newer
>> version of Office you may have. Same with Corel Office, PhotoShop, Adobe
>> Acrobat, etc.
>>
>> But let's get things in the right order. Describe more completely the symptoms
>> you are seeing. I did a similar copying of data for a client last week. He
>> replaced a white box clone with a Dell Dimension 2400. I cabled the old hard
>> drive into the new system temporarily, and copied My Documents in a matter of
>> minutes.
>>
>> It's possible that the old drive is set up incorrectly in the new system. I
>> have a problem understanding why it would not be 100% accessable.
>>
>> .... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:04 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Someone built me a "new" PC with XP professional operating system. He
>>>also installed my "old" HD with Win98 (and everything else on it) as a
>>>slave to the new HD.
>>>
>>>How can I best rescue some of my "old" files from the G6-400 HD, and if
>>>possible, transfer them to the "new" HD. There seems to be a possible
>>>format conflict, (even though I can read some of the files). ;-(
>>>
>>>Did anyone ever do this, and what advise could you give me?
>>>
>>>Thank you, Bruno

Just be careful to verify the programs work with XP - though some, like
Office, will, things like DVD decoders, antivirus, etc., that shipped
with 98/ME will generally need to be upgraded to newer versions to work
with XP.