No "official" driver release since July.... speculation?

It's been a long dry spell since an "official" Nvidia release, unless
you want to count the un-announced versions showing up on their FTP
site. And what's up with that anyway? In the past, if a later
version... especially a WHQL version... appears on their FTP site, it
usually appears fairly quickly as an official release. Any
speculation as to what's going on with Nvidia and their driver
releases?

> usually appears fairly quickly as an official release. Any
> speculation as to what's going on with Nvidia and their driver
> releases?

Maybe the web designers are on strike...

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Folk ordered an army of hamsters to
type:

> It's been a long dry spell since an "official" Nvidia release, unless
> you want to count the un-announced versions showing up on their FTP
> site. And what's up with that anyway? In the past, if a later
> version... especially a WHQL version... appears on their FTP site, it
> usually appears fairly quickly as an official release. Any
> speculation as to what's going on with Nvidia and their driver
> releases?

Maybe Nvidia have more to add or tweak in the drivers before they put them
up on their website. They probably put new drivers up, after every little
tweak or addition, on their ftp to apease the people who want driver
updates every week.

What about whql? I dont know, but wouldnt any driver they make have to go
through some certification process. But again this is just idle
speculation aswell. It is odd though. Like tq96 said, its probably some
stupid reason like the web designers havent got around to updating the
website yet.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:02:15 GMT, Kokoro
<kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote:

>In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Folk ordered an army of hamsters to
>type:
>

>> It's been a long dry spell since an "official" Nvidia release, unless
>> you want to count the un-announced versions showing up on their FTP
>> site. And what's up with that anyway? In the past, if a later
>> version... especially a WHQL version... appears on their FTP site, it
>> usually appears fairly quickly as an official release. Any
>> speculation as to what's going on with Nvidia and their driver
>> releases?
>>

>Maybe Nvidia have more to add or tweak in the drivers before they put them
>up on their website. They probably put new drivers up, after every little
>tweak or addition, on their ftp to apease the people who want driver
>updates every week.

Putting drivers up on their FTP site without making them available for
download via the web is something new... that's why I pointed it out.
The leaked drivers you see at places like Guru3D are usually drivers
written for an OEM or card partner. Having the drivers on their own
FTP site makes them more or less 'official' in most people's eyes, but
it's certainly not the normal way of distributing driver releases.

As for the 'lazy web guy' theory... LOL. I kind of doubt it. Nvidia
knows full well the impact of any new drivers posted on their web
site... it's immediate industry news. I doubt they would just forget.

what is the address to nVidia's FTP site, please?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:59:37 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>what is the address to nVidia's FTP site, please?

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/