Help with Nvidia 5700 ultra and 1920 x 1200 resolution

Apologies for posting again but my previous message disappeared!

I have the Nvidia 5700 Ultra 128MB and just purchased a 23" Sony monitor
which has 1920 x 1200 resolution. My previous monitor was a 19" and the DVI
connection was superb with razor sharp fonts.
The problem is that to be able to the 1920 x1200 resolution on the new
monitor, I had use the VGA cable and the difference in quality is quite
noticeable to the point that I am seriously thinking of returning the
monitor. The strange thing is that before purchasing the new monitor, as a
test I changed the resolution on my old monitor to 1920 x 1200 and it
worked, however when I connected the Sony it was not possible to accept the
resolution under the DVI connection!
Someone had suggested the option of being able to hack the monitor's inf
file so to be able to connect the DVI cable and get the higher resolution
and digital connection but I do not know how to do it and would appreciate
any feedback or suggestions if there is a way to bypass the 1600 x 1200 DVI
barrier.

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Vassik ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> Apologies for posting again but my previous message disappeared!
>
> I have the Nvidia 5700 Ultra 128MB and just purchased a 23" Sony
> monitor which has 1920 x 1200 resolution. My previous monitor was a
> 19" and the DVI connection was superb with razor sharp fonts.
> The problem is that to be able to the 1920 x1200 resolution on the new
> monitor, I had use the VGA cable and the difference in quality is
> quite noticeable to the point that I am seriously thinking of
> returning the monitor. The strange thing is that before purchasing
> the new monitor, as a test I changed the resolution on my old monitor
> to 1920 x 1200 and it worked, however when I connected the Sony it was
> not possible to accept the resolution under the DVI connection!
> Someone had suggested the option of being able to hack the monitor's
> inf file so to be able to connect the DVI cable and get the higher
> resolution and digital connection but I do not know how to do it and
> would appreciate any feedback or suggestions if there is a way to
> bypass the 1600 x 1200 DVI barrier.

Ive never had to do this so its just a guess and dont know if it will work.
But isnt it possible to add custom resolutions and timings in the change
resolutions tab in the display properties?

"Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message
> In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Vassik ordered an army of
> hamsters to type:
>
>> Apologies for posting again but my previous message disappeared!
>>
>> I have the Nvidia 5700 Ultra 128MB and just purchased a 23" Sony
>> monitor which has 1920 x 1200 resolution. My previous monitor was a
>> 19" and the DVI connection was superb with razor sharp fonts.
>> The problem is that to be able to the 1920 x1200 resolution on the new
>> monitor, I had use the VGA cable and the difference in quality is
>> quite noticeable to the point that I am seriously thinking of
>> returning the monitor. The strange thing is that before purchasing
>> the new monitor, as a test I changed the resolution on my old monitor
>> to 1920 x 1200 and it worked, however when I connected the Sony it was
>> not possible to accept the resolution under the DVI connection!
>> Someone had suggested the option of being able to hack the monitor's
>> inf file so to be able to connect the DVI cable and get the higher
>> resolution and digital connection but I do not know how to do it and
>> would appreciate any feedback or suggestions if there is a way to
>> bypass the 1600 x 1200 DVI barrier.
>>

> Ive never had to do this so its just a guess and dont know if it will
> work.
> But isnt it possible to add custom resolutions and timings in the change
> resolutions tab in the display properties?

I have tried that however the computer will not accept it. It will default
back to 1600 x 1200 once I click on apply or ok.

I replied to your other post that you said disappeared. Below is that
reply.

--

You need to hack your monitor's .inf file. (make sure you have a backup of
your original .inf file)

Open up your .inf with notepad (or any text editor)

Change all "1600" in the file to 1920. (assuming that your monitor can
support DVI @ 1600x1200) if not then you'll have to change the "1024" to
1200 as well. Save the file.

Then reinstall the monitor with this new .inf file.

I can't guarantee this will work. It did work for me and my Samsung 240t
which also has (had) this same problem

The reason for this problem with DVI at resolutions beyond 1600x1200 is the
DVI spec does not officially support them. This is because the bandwidth
(~165 Mhz) required for 1920x1200 and higher is more than a single DVI port
can handle @60Hz anyway. Sad but true.

A side note is to make sure you have the current nVIDIA drivers because I
know at one time the drivers themselves wouldn't output DVI @ 1920x1200 no
matter what the monitor .inf tells the computer it can handle. I have read
that the drivers do not have this limitation anymore.

Regards,
Jon

Jon Cortelyou schrieb:
> Change all "1600" in the file to 1920. (assuming that your monitor can
> support DVI @ 1600x1200) if not then you'll have to change the "1024" to
> 1200 as well. Save the file.

This will only work when the driver of the videocard offers the wanted
resolution (the monitor inf file works like a mask, it doen´t create new
resolutions). I would suggest to use Powerstrip (btw. the nVidia driver
should give you the possibility to create custom resolutions too).

> The reason for this problem with DVI at resolutions beyond 1600x1200 is the
> DVI spec does not officially support them. This is because the bandwidth
> (~165 Mhz) required for 1920x1200 and higher is more than a single DVI port
> can handle @60Hz anyway. Sad but true.

Two solutions: Lower the frequency to 52Hz (1920x1200@52Hz is just
inside the 165MHz limit); if your TFT is able to accept a reduced
blanking intervall, it will work with 1920x1200@60Hz. I don´t know the
specs. of the Sony TFT, but my 240T can´t handle reduced blanking. The
23" LG Panels on the other side use reduced blanking to display the
native resolution over a SingleLink connection.

Denis

Thanks so much for responding here as well. I saw your answer this morning
on my previous post but still could not see my original posting!
I looked for the inf file and the Sony one does show 1920 x 1200 (there is
not even a 1600!) There is also a Monitor.inf file under windows/inf
directory with many-many 1600's do I need to change that one. In device
manager the correct monitor shows up (Sony).
Shall I paste the inf file here so you can take a look at it?
I really do appreciate your help.

"Jon Cortelyou" <jcortel@not_spam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I replied to your other post that you said disappeared. Below is that
> reply.
>
> --
>
> You need to hack your monitor's .inf file. (make sure you have a backup
> of
> your original .inf file)
>
> Open up your .inf with notepad (or any text editor)
>
> Change all "1600" in the file to 1920. (assuming that your monitor can
> support DVI @ 1600x1200) if not then you'll have to change the "1024" to
> 1200 as well. Save the file.
>
> Then reinstall the monitor with this new .inf file.
>
> I can't guarantee this will work. It did work for me and my Samsung 240t
> which also has (had) this same problem
>
> The reason for this problem with DVI at resolutions beyond 1600x1200 is
> the
> DVI spec does not officially support them. This is because the bandwidth
> (~165 Mhz) required for 1920x1200 and higher is more than a single DVI
> port
> can handle @60Hz anyway. Sad but true.
>
> A side note is to make sure you have the current nVIDIA drivers because I
> know at one time the drivers themselves wouldn't output DVI @ 1920x1200 no
> matter what the monitor .inf tells the computer it can handle. I have
> read
> that the drivers do not have this limitation anymore.
>
> Regards,
> Jon
>

> "Vassik" <vassi12nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message
>> > In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Vassik ordered an army of
>> > hamsters to type:

>> > Ive never had to do this so its just a guess and dont know if it will
>> > work.
>> > But isnt it possible to add custom resolutions and timings in the
>> > change
>> > resolutions tab in the display properties?
>>
>> I have tried that however the computer will not accept it. It will
>> default
>> back to 1600 x 1200 once I click on apply or ok.

Well here is the latest on this saga! After many trials and phone calls to
Nvidia and Sony on a hunch I borrowed a friends ATI Radeon card (9600 XT)
dropped it in and was able to change the resolution and refresh rate as easy
as pointing and clicking! No problems at all with switching to 1920 x 1200!
Now the problem is that I am not very happy with the text color there is a
pink hue to it but that has been since the beginning and reading through the
discussion groups it seems to be widespread among the 23" monitors.
Maybe Nvidia after all does not work well with the 23" monitors?
Hope this helps someone else with similar problems

Vassik wrote:

> Well here is the latest on this saga! After many trials and phone
> calls to Nvidia and Sony on a hunch I borrowed a friends ATI Radeon
> card (9600 XT) dropped it in and was able to change the resolution
> and refresh rate as easy as pointing and clicking! No problems at
> all with switching to 1920 x 1200! Now the problem is that I am not
> very happy with the text color there is a pink hue to it but that has
> been since the beginning and reading through the discussion groups it
> seems to be widespread among the 23" monitors. Maybe Nvidia after all does
> not work well with the 23" monitors?
> Hope this helps someone else with similar problems

Y'know, I have a Samsung 21" SyncMaster 1100p+ and I noticed that pinkish
discoloration in areas with dark grey text. I've come to the conclusion,
though, that it's more of an illusion caused by the proximity of the text
and the whitish screen color since the blotches seem to "move" when viewed
at different angles.

dvus