Save game / mission strategy

Last response: in Video Games
July 23, 2005 9:52:32 PM

How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC version
at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
completing a mission.

Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do you
just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load a
saved game and try again?

Cheers.

[Bob]
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:52:33 PM

Bob Moss wrote:
> How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC version
> at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> completing a mission.
>
> Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do you
> just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load a
> saved game and try again?
>
> Cheers.

Depends on where I'm at in the game. If I need the weapons and have the
proper girlfriends, then I don't really care about being busted or
killed.
I have noticed that even with the right girlfriend, if you die because
of a fall (which doesn't take away armor), you still lose your armor at
the hospital.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:46:52 PM

Bob Moss wrote:

> How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC version
> at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> completing a mission.
>
> Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do you
> just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load a
> saved game and try again?
>
> Cheers.
>
> [Bob]

Depends on the missions. When you're used to the game you know when
you're at risk of losing stuff. Plus, if you're doing something like
tags and are near a safe house it's good to save so you don't lose
everything if you get killed and have to do it all again.

I do use the save to replay missions but usually if I have lost
weapons etc. I hate having to redo weapons hunts more than missions.
Sometimes it's because where I lose the mission is so far from the
starting point it's easier to reload than travel half way round the
globe to start again.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:52:32 GMT, bob@nospam.nospam (Bob Moss) opined
in alt.games.grand-theft-auto:

>How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC version
>at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
>completing a mission.

I tend to save after a mission, because I don't play for long at a
time and doing one mission is a good timeline.

>Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do you
>just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load a
>saved game and try again?

Depends... if it's a mission that starts in San Fierro but ends up in
the Back O' Beyond and I fail, I'll reload purely cos I cba driving
all the way back to start again. If I fail nearby, I'll just do the
mission again.
--
http://www.sierro.co.uk

Random Witterings
http://www.sierro.co.uk/blog/
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:04:13 PM

"Bob Moss" <bob@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC version
> at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> completing a mission.

Save game every other completed mission, use a new slot when I've
particularly enjoyed a mission (so I can replay it).

> Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do you
> just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load a
> saved game and try again?

Don't mind having loads of mission attempts. I do keep my police and
hospital visits at zero by using saves, though. Just so that I can keep my
weapons - I'm not bothered about the stats, and can't be arsed to date the
girls that would make this happen without savegames.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:14:48 AM

Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> *From:* Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk>
> *Date:* Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:46:52 GMT
>
> Bob Moss wrote:
> >
> > How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC
> > version
> > at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> > completing a mission.
> >
> > Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
> > you
> > just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load
> > saved game and try again?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > [Bob]
>
> Depends on the missions. When you're used to the game you know when
> you're at risk of losing stuff. Plus, if you're doing something like
> tags and are near a safe house it's good to save so you don't lose
> everything if you get killed and have to do it all again.
>
> I do use the save to replay missions but usually if I have lost
> weapons etc. I hate having to redo weapons hunts more than missions.
> Sometimes it's because where I lose the mission is so far from the
> starting point it's easier to reload than travel half way round the
> globe to start again.

Thanks. That's the main reason I save all the time, it's a chore having
to go and stock up on weapons and ammo each time.

[Bob]
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:14:49 AM

Vandar <vandar69@yahoo.com> wrote:

> *From:* "Vandar" <vandar69@yahoo.com>
> *Date:* 23 Jul 2005 15:00:18 -0700
>
> Bob Moss wrote:
> > How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC
> > version
> > at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> > completing a mission.
> >
> > Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
> > you
> > just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load
> > saved game and try again?
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> Depends on where I'm at in the game. If I need the weapons and have the
> proper girlfriends, then I don't really care about being busted or
> killed.
> I have noticed that even with the right girlfriend, if you die because
> of a fall (which doesn't take away armor), you still lose your armor at
> the hospital.

I haven't got to the bit with the girlfriends yet - hopefully I won't have
to save as much once I get there.

Thanks.

[Bob]
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:14:49 AM

Sierro <nothing@here.com> wrote:

> I tend to save after a mission, because I don't play for long at a
> time and doing one mission is a good timeline.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saves all the time then!

> >Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
> you >just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do)
> re-load a >saved game and try again?
>
> Depends... if it's a mission that starts in San Fierro but ends up in
> the Back O' Beyond and I fail, I'll reload purely cos I cba driving
> all the way back to start again. If I fail nearby, I'll just do the
> mission again.

Sounds fair enough!

Thanks.

[Bob]
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:14:50 AM

G Hardy <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> *From:* "G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com>
> *Date:* Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:04:13 GMT
>
> "Bob Moss" <bob@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC
> > version
> > at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> > completing a mission.
>
> Save game every other completed mission, use a new slot when I've
> particularly enjoyed a mission (so I can replay it).

Thanks. It seems a good approach to take. Especially when you only managed
to finish a mission because of sheer luck!

> > Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
> > you
> > just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load
> > saved game and try again?
>
> Don't mind having loads of mission attempts. I do keep my police and
> hospital visits at zero by using saves, though. Just so that I can keep
> my
> weapons - I'm not bothered about the stats, and can't be arsed to date
> the
> girls that would make this happen without savegames.

As I commented to someone else, I get really fed up having to go and get
weapons, it's a shame you can't stash them at home!

[Bob]
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:23:23 AM

Bob Moss wrote:

> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > *From:* Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk>
> > *Date:* Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:46:52 GMT
> >
> > Bob Moss wrote:
> > >
> > > How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC
> > > version
> > > at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> > > completing a mission.
> > >
> > > Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
> > > you
> > > just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load
> > > saved game and try again?
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > [Bob]
> >
> > Depends on the missions. When you're used to the game you know when
> > you're at risk of losing stuff. Plus, if you're doing something like
> > tags and are near a safe house it's good to save so you don't lose
> > everything if you get killed and have to do it all again.
> >
> > I do use the save to replay missions but usually if I have lost
> > weapons etc. I hate having to redo weapons hunts more than missions.
> > Sometimes it's because where I lose the mission is so far from the
> > starting point it's easier to reload than travel half way round the
> > globe to start again.
>
> Thanks. That's the main reason I save all the time, it's a chore having
> to go and stock up on weapons and ammo each time.
>
> [Bob]

without a doubt. even when you've played through once and keep your
weapons if you get killed you still lose them if you get busted, so
it's worth remembering then too.

does anyone know if that little glitch is still active on xbox and PC?
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
July 25, 2005 12:41:03 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:14:49 +0000, Bob Moss wrote:

> Vandar <vandar69@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> *From:* "Vandar" <vandar69@yahoo.com> *Date:* 23 Jul 2005 15:00:18 -0700
>>
>> Bob Moss wrote:
>> > How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC
>> > version
>> > at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
>> > completing a mission.
>> >
>> > Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
>> > you
>> > just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load
>> > saved game and try again?
>> >
>> > Cheers.
>>
>> Depends on where I'm at in the game. If I need the weapons and have the
>> proper girlfriends, then I don't really care about being busted or
>> killed.
>> I have noticed that even with the right girlfriend, if you die because
>> of a fall (which doesn't take away armor), you still lose your armor at
>> the hospital.
>>

> I haven't got to the bit with the girlfriends yet - hopefully I won't have
> to save as much once I get there.

i always save before i visit a girlfriend... if she asks to go dancing, i
reload :-)
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:36:12 AM

> > > How often do you all save your games in GTA:SA? I'm playing the PC
> > > version
> > > at the moment and I tend to always save my game after successfully
> > > completing a mission.
> >
> > Save game every other completed mission, use a new slot when I've
> > particularly enjoyed a mission (so I can replay it).
>
> Thanks. It seems a good approach to take. Especially when you only managed
> to finish a mission because of sheer luck!

Ah - I wouldn't know about that. All the completed missions on this PC are
done through a combination of skill, intellect and dexterity

I wish.

> > > Also, what is your strategy with missions? If you fail a mission do
> > > you
> > > just continue and go back and try again or do you (like I do) re-load
> > > saved game and try again?
> >
> > Don't mind having loads of mission attempts. I do keep my police and
> > hospital visits at zero by using saves, though. Just so that I can keep
> > my
> > weapons - I'm not bothered about the stats, and can't be arsed to date
> > the
> > girls that would make this happen without savegames.
>
> As I commented to someone else, I get really fed up having to go and get
> weapons, it's a shame you can't stash them at home!

In VC you could save your weapons by unloading them at the airport or golf
club before a mission that forced their replacement. I do miss that in SA (I
just lost my MP5 on the jetpack acquisition mission, and my minigun on the
one before it).
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:34:50 AM

bryan wrote:
> i always save before i visit a girlfriend... if she asks to go dancing, i
> reload :-)

If she asks to go, say, dancing to a club half-way across the entire SA
map, I do it (helicopters can be very useful things).
Should the date go "bad" at some point anyway, I prefer to repeatedly
shoot the bitch, THEN reload & try again.
=)
!