Tom's Hardware Wants You: CPU Benchmarks 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Can you guys add more programs that benefit from hyper-threading? It will be easier to refer a CPU to new system builders if there's benchmarks in front of our face :)

cuecuemore

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kingkstur[/nom]StarCraft 2! I used to see it in some benchmarks, but it slowly got faded out. =[[/citation]
Yep, this is a great test for single-core strength along with the original Crysis. (and Warhead??) AvP is a terrible CPU benchmark; on my X4 965 it locks all 4 cores at 40%, regardless of whether I'm running one or two GTX 460s. For more proof, let's look at what Tom's had to say :) :
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859-5.html
In my opinion, BF:BC2 is the gold standard for CPU scaling at the moment, and will probably be supplanted by BF3.

+1 to SiSoftware Sandra 2011, this is the only synthetic I use, but it's awesome.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I've been using Tom's CPU charts since it came out to spec out not only desktops but also entry level servers built on enthusiast parts. Most of them run server software on Linux though so I'd like to cast a vote for the Phoronix test suite.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
The cpu benchmark would be a joke without battlefield 3.
i dont know if this applies to the cpu benchmark suite itself, but i think it would be interesting to come up with an appropriate "background program suite" for the gaming benchmarks.
basically, there was a huge debate over whether the i3-2100 would outperform the phenom ii quads in a real-world environment because a real user runs a number of programs while gaming. id like to see this tested in some way. i think this will also be an interesting benchmark in the context of the upcoming bulldozer release, should that happen before the end of the world.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
My only request would be to add in some sort of Maya rendering (software or mental ray) or simulation performance bench. I know you already include Cinebench and Blender, but performance and scaling can vary quite significantly between these programs. And amongst pro's and hobbyists alike, Maya is one of the most widely adopted 3D content creation programs out there. If you have a content creation section in your bench suite, Maya just seems like a must.

And I know you guys are probably already considering this, but adding BF3 (when it's released) to your gaming section would be great as well.

G

Matlab, taking advantage of multi-core processors and GPU processing

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Jacobi[/nom]Matlab, taking advantage of multi-core processors and GPU processing[/citation]

Agreed I'd love to see benchmarks for MATLAB, Solidworks or more CAD programs

G

I suggest to simulate real-life experience simulation rather than synthetic performance benchmark. So we should just use Apps and Games. Should also add video editing/converting tool (e.g. mov to rmvb ..etc). Games should use either BF3 or MW3. Others like Guild Wars 2, latest Need for Speed & NFL/NBA/FIFA series, follow by either Civ5/StarCraft2/Diablo3. Not sure if there's any capable benchmark for Flash/HTML5 games, but it will be good as well to check Civ World (Facebook) and others.

[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Can you guys add more programs that benefit from hyper-threading? It will be easier to refer a CPU to new system builders if there's benchmarks in front of our face[/citation]

That's a good idea. All previous gaming articles on the subject show no difference, but Resident Evil 5, and Metro 2033 definitely showed improvement with and without on my system. Those can't be the only two.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Total War: Shogun 2 is a pretty serious test of horsepower especially if you use DX11. Starcraft 2 would also be nice. When Battlefield 3 comes out that's a definite must too. IntelBurnTest might be nice too- it rates your CPU on GFlops and it's free.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Civilization 5: How long does it take to get to the next turn, considering a large map, and maybe ith autosave on/off (if that even matters, i'm not sure).

Starcraft II (with medium details, but with high settings for the CPU, like physics); a replay is a good test because it can be repeated, altough it does not stress the CPu as much as a real match.

I'm not sure if you know the software, but Ansys is a great software to stress the CPU. It's a engeneering simulation software, look up some images on Google. It takes an awfull lot of time to simulate stuff on a somewhat complex model, specially with a fine mesh and simulating a lot of things (heat transfer, elastic/plastic deformations, and so on).
There are other similar softwares tho, I'm just familiar with this one.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
im sugjesting running a standard hard drive system and a ssd bases system in comparrison through your normal bench tests .. plus what ever you come up with there it would be interesting to see how negitive of an impact runing say western digital black 64mb cache drives or velosa raptor drives vs ssd drives on the new processors when they are finnally released i bet it would help a lot of people make there choices

I'd like to see at least one game that involves lots of AI's running around. RTS or [MMO]RPG testing may be confounded by latency or other network issues, but hopefully something can be found in this category.

G

Why do you have Aliens vs Predator when in EVERY SINGLE benchmark ever made, this game shows that a CPU has absolutely no impact. Same thing for Metro 2033, to a lesser extent.

On the other hand, why don't you add GTA IV? I know it's poorly optimized and a little old now, but it's one of the few games that will actually provide a big performance boost when a new CPU is purcahsed or an old one overclocked, so I'd like to see it there.

verbalizer

Distinguished
not to sound lame but please keep the Just Cause 2 benching.
I have grown a custom to it and use it frequently.
it can actually be a good comparison and judge of performance when paired with a matching gfx card.
thanks.

P.S.
hyper-threading and non hyper-threading would be a nice category, I agree..

Status
Not open for further replies.