BMX Challenge

Ok... what's the secret to nabbing the two elusive coronas?
Specifically, the one up in the air in the pipe and the lone corona on
top of the western ramp.
Is it absolutely necessary to have max cycling skill to reach those, or
can it be done when you are "near" the max? How do you get on top of
the western ramp?

Much thanks

bryan wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:51:44 -0700, Vandar wrote:
>
> > Ok... what's the secret to nabbing the two elusive coronas? Specifically,
> > the one up in the air in the pipe
>
> (no. 1 in the picture)
>
> i have got it once by bunny-hopping directly beneath it but that may have
> been luck because i've never repeated the feat.
>
> what you can do is bunny-hop part way up the pipe... timing and position
> is crucial as you have to be parallel to the pipe and level with the
> shadow of the corona. as you are bunny-hopping on an angle, this has the
> effect of throwing you to one side.
>
> practise the manoeuvre before starting the challenge.
>
> you could also try bunny-hopping over one of the barriers at the top of
> the pipe... i've never tried it so if you're successful, let us know.
>
> > and the lone corona on top of the western ramp.
>
> see below.
>
> > Is it absolutely necessary to have max cycling skill to reach those, or
> > can it be done when you are "near" the max?
>
> i've never tried it without max biking skill and as it's the quickest
> skill to max out, i'd just go riding around los santos until it does. just
> sprint and bunny-hop a lot.
>
> > How do you get on top of the western ramp?
>
> (no. 2 in the picture)
>
> in the "nrg 500" challenge, you accelerate up the ramp and lean forward to
> get the coronas but i just could not get this method to work on "bmx
> challenge".
>
> i got around the problem by creating an extra platform... take a look at
> this:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/bmxvan01.jpg
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/bmxvan02.jpg
>
> take the burglary van (or one like it) and park it under the platform
> as shown then all you need to do is bunny-hop onto the van then bunny-hop
> to the platform or even the corona itself :)

Thanks. The pic of the truck by the ramp was all I needed to see. I
parked a firetruck there and a car in the pipe. Mission complete. 100%
cycle skill isn't necessary after all.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:51:44 -0700, Vandar wrote:

> Ok... what's the secret to nabbing the two elusive coronas? Specifically,
> the one up in the air in the pipe

(no. 1 in the picture)

i have got it once by bunny-hopping directly beneath it but that may have
been luck because i've never repeated the feat.

what you can do is bunny-hop part way up the pipe... timing and position
is crucial as you have to be parallel to the pipe and level with the
shadow of the corona. as you are bunny-hopping on an angle, this has the
effect of throwing you to one side.

practise the manoeuvre before starting the challenge.

you could also try bunny-hopping over one of the barriers at the top of
the pipe... i've never tried it so if you're successful, let us know.

> and the lone corona on top of the western ramp.

see below.

> Is it absolutely necessary to have max cycling skill to reach those, or
> can it be done when you are "near" the max?

i've never tried it without max biking skill and as it's the quickest
skill to max out, i'd just go riding around los santos until it does. just
sprint and bunny-hop a lot.

> How do you get on top of the western ramp?

(no. 2 in the picture)

in the "nrg 500" challenge, you accelerate up the ramp and lean forward to
get the coronas but i just could not get this method to work on "bmx
challenge".

i got around the problem by creating an extra platform... take a look at
this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/bmxvan01.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/bmxvan02.jpg

take the burglary van (or one like it) and park it under the platform
as shown then all you need to do is bunny-hop onto the van then bunny-hop
to the platform or even the corona itself :)

I see this has already been answered, but a couple of other methods:

For the one in the pipe, you can also just bike directly up the wall
beside the corona, tapping for speed, and do a bunny hop when you reach
the peak. You do usually fall off the bike backwards but it works very
easily every time.

For the western one, I did it first time with a Packer, pointed right
to the top. Very easy :). But to do it without any "props" you
basically reverse up the opposite side of the half-pipe, then
accelerate down and do a bunny hop, releasing when the slope up the
other side of the half pipe is a bit less than 45 degrees (i.e. not
very much past the center). Not sure if you need max bike skill but I
can get it fairly reliably (once every 2 or 3 tries). You need to try
to hold down the bunny hop as much as possible (I realize it all takes
place in about a second, but try doing the bunny hop for more than just
a tap).

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:09:33 -0700, Vandar wrote:

> bryan wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:51:44 -0700, Vandar wrote:
>>
>> > Ok... what's the secret to nabbing the two elusive coronas?
>> > Specifically, the one up in the air in the pipe
>>
>> (no. 1 in the picture)
>>
>> i have got it once by bunny-hopping directly beneath it but that may
>> have been luck because i've never repeated the feat.
>>
>> what you can do is bunny-hop part way up the pipe... timing and position
>> is crucial as you have to be parallel to the pipe and level with the
>> shadow of the corona. as you are bunny-hopping on an angle, this has the
>> effect of throwing you to one side.
>>
>> practise the manoeuvre before starting the challenge.
>>
>> you could also try bunny-hopping over one of the barriers at the top of
>> the pipe... i've never tried it so if you're successful, let us know.
>>
>> > and the lone corona on top of the western ramp.
>>
>> see below.
>>
>> > Is it absolutely necessary to have max cycling skill to reach those,
>> > or can it be done when you are "near" the max?
>>
>> i've never tried it without max biking skill and as it's the quickest
>> skill to max out, i'd just go riding around los santos until it does.
>> just sprint and bunny-hop a lot.
>>
>> > How do you get on top of the western ramp?
>>
>> (no. 2 in the picture)
>>
>> in the "nrg 500" challenge, you accelerate up the ramp and lean forward
>> to get the coronas but i just could not get this method to work on "bmx
>> challenge".
>>
>> i got around the problem by creating an extra platform... take a look at
>> this:
>>
>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/bmxvan01.jpg
>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/bmxvan02.jpg
>>
>> take the burglary van (or one like it) and park it under the platform as
>> shown then all you need to do is bunny-hop onto the van then bunny-hop
>> to the platform or even the corona itself :)
>
> Thanks. The pic of the truck by the ramp was all I needed to see. I parked
> a firetruck there and a car in the pipe. Mission complete. 100% cycle
> skill isn't necessary after all.

well done :)

In message <1122159104.479502.135100@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"Vandar" <vandar69@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok... what's the secret to nabbing the two elusive coronas?
> Specifically, the one up in the air in the pipe and the lone corona on
> top of the western ramp.

The lone corona is easy, line up the bike with it then mash X until the
bike goes up the ramp and stays on the little platform. Easy in theory,
although I had much more luck pushing forward on the bike down too (The
old motorcycle trick works on bmx's and mountain bikes too).

The one that's in the pipe alwasy got me. I can't be arsed to get it my
usual way (Jump up either side then bunny-hop) so now I park a car
underneath. Moi? A cheat? :eek:P

Oh, and get all the easy ones first. The tricky ones become much easier
if you have a lot of time to think about exactly how you're going to
get them and also gives you more time to try too.

> Is it absolutely necessary to have max cycling skill to reach those, or
> can it be done when you are "near" the max? How do you get on top of
> the western ramp?

I've done it a few times from the start of a new game, but max cycling
skills does help with control. I suspect it also allows you to
bunny-hop slightly higher too, but not too noticeably.

Cheers,
Rob