Yet more NVidia garbage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2004 9:49:36 PM

Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
aspect ratio.

Powerstrip and TVTool are powerless to intervene it would seem as NVidia
don't want to tell anyone else how their hardware works.

Unless someone here can point out something obvious that I'm missing
then this card is going to be sold and will be the last piece of NVidia
junk I ever buy. I'm sticking with ATI from now on, at least their
stuff actually works!
--
Toby

More about : nvidia garbage

October 28, 2004 11:53:25 PM

so what are you going to get this time? a 9200?

"Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
> appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
> screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
> aspect ratio.
>
> Powerstrip and TVTool are powerless to intervene it would seem as NVidia
> don't want to tell anyone else how their hardware works.
>
> Unless someone here can point out something obvious that I'm missing then
> this card is going to be sold and will be the last piece of NVidia junk I
> ever buy. I'm sticking with ATI from now on, at least their stuff
> actually works!
> --
> Toby
October 29, 2004 1:43:25 AM

well pretty much all of the FX series is ify...the 5200's and 5600's are
junk...you got exactly what you paid for..a very low end card.Unfortunately
there is probably not alot you can do...you would have been further off
trying to find a Ti4200..
October 29, 2004 1:56:45 AM

Tried other drivers?Some work with TV out some don't.

>Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
>appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
>screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
>aspect ratio.

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:21:12 AM

In article <20041028175645.07582.00002592@mb-m11.aol.com>, YanquiDawg
<yanquidawg@aol.com> writes
>Tried other drivers?Some work with TV out some don't.

What other drivers? AFAIK, I have to use the latest drivers in order
for it to work with Media Center.

--
Toby
Anonymous

Toby Groves:

> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it
> now appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is
> completely screwed and incapable of producing a picture without
> buggering up the aspect ratio.

This is actually a very vague description of the problem. What type of
television do you have, HDTV or NTSC? 16x9 or 4x3? Connecting with: RCA,
S-video, component, DVI, VGA converter? Are you using clone mode? Make
sure you set the TV as the primary.

The Nvidia cards are perfectly capable of tv output but the 5200 does not
have HDTV output if that is what you are attempting.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

In article <4fhgd.20824$Qs6.1606732@news20.bellglobal.com>, dino
<whyme@help.com> writes
>well pretty much all of the FX series is ify...the 5200's and 5600's are
>junk...you got exactly what you paid for..a very low end card.Unfortunately
>there is probably not alot you can do...you would have been further off
>trying to find a Ti4200..

Won't work with MCE, the card needs to be DX9 compliant.
--
Toby
Anonymous

In article <Xns9590E50AC4063MacCool@24.25.9.43>, Mac Cool
<Mac@2cool.com> writes
>Toby Groves:
>
>> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it
>> now appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is
>> completely screwed and incapable of producing a picture without
>> buggering up the aspect ratio.
>
>This is actually a very vague description of the problem. What type of
>television do you have, HDTV or NTSC? 16x9 or 4x3? Connecting with: RCA,
>S-video, component, DVI, VGA converter? Are you using clone mode? Make
>sure you set the TV as the primary.

Sony 16x9 PAL tv, although for the moment I'm using it in 4:3 mode and
the tv will accept a full NTSC signal.

Connecting via the S-Video out on the FX5200 using clone mode with a
monitor also attached. Using 720x576 res.

Settng the TV as primary doesn't help.

>The Nvidia cards are perfectly capable of tv output but the 5200 does not
>have HDTV output if that is what you are attempting.

No, the 5200 is NOT capable of tv output, it's completely broken.

The desktop which looks fine on the 4:3 monitor is vertically compressed
on the TV, with small black bars at the top and bottom. There is no way
to correct this aspect ratio problem that I can see, therefore it's
officially broken.
--
Toby
Anonymous

Did you actually check that this card would do what you want before you
bought it? Seriously it is pretty low end.

"Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
> appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
> screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
> aspect ratio.
>
> Powerstrip and TVTool are powerless to intervene it would seem as NVidia
> don't want to tell anyone else how their hardware works.
>
> Unless someone here can point out something obvious that I'm missing then
> this card is going to be sold and will be the last piece of NVidia junk I
> ever buy. I'm sticking with ATI from now on, at least their stuff
> actually works!
> --
> Toby
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:57:37 AM

Get yourself a plain Leadtek 6800, they rock, the TV out is amazing.

> Did you actually check that this card would do what you want before you
> bought it? Seriously it is pretty low end.
>

> "Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
>> appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
>> screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
>> aspect ratio.
>>
>> Powerstrip and TVTool are powerless to intervene it would seem as NVidia
>> don't want to tell anyone else how their hardware works.
>>
>> Unless someone here can point out something obvious that I'm missing then
>> this card is going to be sold and will be the last piece of NVidia junk I
>> ever buy. I'm sticking with ATI from now on, at least their stuff
>> actually works!
>> --
>> Toby

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 12:25:28 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:57:37 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>Get yourself a plain Leadtek 6800, they rock, the TV out is amazing.

Firstly I want to know why the FX5200 is incapable of producing a
TV-out image with the correct aspect ratio.

Secondly, as all of NVidia's current cards are based on the same
chipset, I have no confidence that the 6800 will be any different, and
I'm not about drop a fortune on one just to try it out.

Interestingly, last night I stuck a 9800 Pro in the machine and saw
the same vertical compression problem, but crucially the drivers had
an "overscan" function. This caused some of the edges of the image to
be lost off the screen, but also produced a correct aspect ratio! The
NVidia drivers had no such function that I could see.

Very interestingly, after putting the FX5200 back in and reinstalling
the drivers, the image being produced is now very much like the Radeon
was when in overscan mode, yet I still can't see any option to set
this. As far as I can see everything is setup just as it was before.

This is quite insane.

>"Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> Did you actually check that this card would do what you want before you
>> bought it? Seriously it is pretty low end.
>>

>> "Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
>>> appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
>>> screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
>>> aspect ratio.
>>>
>>> Powerstrip and TVTool are powerless to intervene it would seem as NVidia
>>> don't want to tell anyone else how their hardware works.
>>>
>>> Unless someone here can point out something obvious that I'm missing then
>>> this card is going to be sold and will be the last piece of NVidia junk I
>>> ever buy. I'm sticking with ATI from now on, at least their stuff
>>> actually works!
>>> --
>>> Toby

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:44:26 PM

> Very interestingly, after putting the FX5200 back in and reinstalling
> the drivers, the image being produced is now very much like the Radeon
> was when in overscan mode, yet I still can't see any option to set
> this. As far as I can see everything is setup just as it was before.
>
> This is quite insane.

Sometimes thats the way things are. Remember that these deivices are
primarily devices for displaying a PC screen, perhaps for what you are
trying to do you need a specific dedicated card that is designed for the
task.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:56:35 PM

Toby Groves:

> Sony 16x9 PAL tv, although for the moment I'm using it in 4:3 mode
> and the tv will accept a full NTSC signal.
> Connecting via the S-Video out on the FX5200 using clone mode with a
> monitor also attached. Using 720x576 res.

I have my 5900xt set the same way, except I output 1024x768 on my Hitachi
HDTV. I've tried outputting at DVD and HDTV resolutions using Powerstrip
but it would have required extensive experimentation to get it looking
correct on the HDTV so I stick with 1024x768.

The first thing I would do is stop using Powerstrip until you have it
working correctly. Set your monitor to whatever normal resolution that you
use (i.e. 800x600, 1024x768, etc.) and use either the built in driver
functions or TVTool. The picture on your television will be 4:3 if the TV
is set to 4:3 mode. If the TV is set to 16x9, the picture will be wide and
skinny with black bars on the top and bottom.

>>The Nvidia cards are perfectly capable of tv output but the 5200 does
>>not have HDTV output if that is what you are attempting.
>
> No, the 5200 is NOT capable of tv output, it's completely broken.

If the card has an s-video out it is capable of tv output unless it is
broken then you need to return the card; otherwise you need to accept that
the fault is with the operator and read the instructions.

> The desktop which looks fine on the 4:3 monitor is vertically
> compressed on the TV, with small black bars at the top and bottom.
> There is no way to correct this aspect ratio problem that I can see,
> therefore it's officially broken.

My HDTV looks that way when I have a 4:3 signal at 16x9.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Pete D <no@email.com>.....

> Sometimes thats the way things are. Remember that these deivices are
> primarily devices for displaying a PC screen, perhaps for what you
> are trying to do you need a specific dedicated card that is designed
> for the task.

Nahhhh, he's just clueless.
--
Pee Pee Firefighter

_\ _ /_
____|_|______ __________________________
|| @| | | ||_________________________ |
||_/| |___| || | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| PeePee Fire || """""""""""""""""""""""" |
| Dept || OOO |
| ___ "" !!! ___ ___ |__
|___/ \_____________________/ \/ \___(_|
\___/ \___/\___/
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 5:33:03 AM

"Pee Pee Phirephighter" <pp@phirephighter.org> wrote in message
> Pete D <no@email.com>.....
>
>> Sometimes thats the way things are. Remember that these deivices are
>> primarily devices for displaying a PC screen, perhaps for what you
>> are trying to do you need a specific dedicated card that is designed
>> for the task.
>
> Nahhhh, he's just clueless.
> --
> Pee Pee Firefighter
>
> _\ _ /_
> ____|_|______ __________________________
> || @| | | ||_________________________ |
> ||_/| |___| || | | | | | | | | | | | | |
> | PeePee Fire || """""""""""""""""""""""" |
> | Dept || OOO |
> | ___ "" !!! ___ ___ |__
> |___/ \_____________________/ \/ \___(_|
> \___/ \___/\___/

Perhaps he is, he did fail to give very much info??
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:01:48 AM

In article <Xns9591D077CC81Bppphirephighterorg@67.98.68.19>, Pee Pee
Phirephighter <pp@phirephighter.org> writes
>Pete D <no@email.com>.....
>
>> Sometimes thats the way things are. Remember that these deivices are
>> primarily devices for displaying a PC screen, perhaps for what you
>> are trying to do you need a specific dedicated card that is designed
>> for the task.
>
>Nahhhh, he's just clueless.

LOL, I wondered when the fan-boys would arrive. Is that the best you
have to offer? Is that supposed to make me feel bad?

Come back when you have something constructive to add, like maybe a
solution to the problem, which you're obviously lacking.
--
Toby
Anonymous

"Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
> appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
> screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
> aspect ratio.
>
> Powerstrip and TVTool are powerless to intervene it would seem as NVidia
> don't want to tell anyone else how their hardware works.
>
> Unless someone here can point out something obvious that I'm missing then
> this card is going to be sold and will be the last piece of NVidia junk I
> ever buy. I'm sticking with ATI from now on, at least their stuff
> actually works!
> --
> Toby

I use the same card, I think, GeForce FX 5200
and it puts out a good TV picture. I go from the
S-VIdeo out through a convertor to a regular TV.
I use 800 X 600 resolution. Really like it.

I used to have ATI cards and I liked the theatre
mode, but there tech support was so bad that
I returned the ATI and bought an Nnidia. I haven't
had much luck getting tech support from Nvidia.
At least ATI answered the phone to tell me they
wouldn't help. But I do think the Nvidia card is
better.

Do you know of a way to get throught to Nvida
support?
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:01:50 PM

> In article <20041028175645.07582.00002592@mb-m11.aol.com>, YanquiDawg
> <yanquidawg@aol.com> writes
>>Tried other drivers?Some work with TV out some don't.
>
> What other drivers? AFAIK, I have to use the latest drivers in order for
> it to work with Media Center.
>>
>>>Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it now
>>>appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is completely
>>>screwed and incapable of producing a picture without buggering up the
>>>aspect ratio.
>>>

> --
> Toby

I was using the latest drivers and had to go back to a previous
one because the card only put out black and white.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:15:59 PM

> In article <Xns9590E50AC4063MacCool@24.25.9.43>, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com>
> writes
>>Toby Groves:
>>
>>> Well I got myself a nice FX5200 to drive a TV with using MCE, and it
>>> now appears that I can't do this at all because the TV-out is
>>> completely screwed and incapable of producing a picture without
>>> buggering up the aspect ratio.
>>
>>This is actually a very vague description of the problem. What type of
>>television do you have, HDTV or NTSC? 16x9 or 4x3? Connecting with: RCA,
>>S-video, component, DVI, VGA converter? Are you using clone mode? Make
>>sure you set the TV as the primary.
>
> Sony 16x9 PAL tv, although for the moment I'm using it in 4:3 mode and the
> tv will accept a full NTSC signal.
>
> Connecting via the S-Video out on the FX5200 using clone mode with a
> monitor also attached. Using 720x576 res.
>
> Settng the TV as primary doesn't help.
>
>>The Nvidia cards are perfectly capable of tv output but the 5200 does not
>>have HDTV output if that is what you are attempting.
>
> No, the 5200 is NOT capable of tv output, it's completely broken.
>
> The desktop which looks fine on the 4:3 monitor is vertically compressed
> on the TV, with small black bars at the top and bottom. There is no way
> to correct this aspect ratio problem that I can see, therefore it's
> officially broken.
> --
> Toby

I'm using NTSC do your 5200 has problems that I haven't
had to deal with. Good luck though.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 3:06:14 AM

In article <fycid.64076$%x.18463@okepread04>, aka 717 <no@spam.net>
writes
>I use the same card, I think, GeForce FX 5200
>and it puts out a good TV picture. I go from the
>S-VIdeo out through a convertor to a regular TV.
>I use 800 X 600 resolution. Really like it.
>
>I used to have ATI cards and I liked the theatre
>mode, but there tech support was so bad that
>I returned the ATI and bought an Nnidia. I haven't
>had much luck getting tech support from Nvidia.
>At least ATI answered the phone to tell me they
>wouldn't help. But I do think the Nvidia card is
>better.
>
>Do you know of a way to get throught to Nvida
>support?

Sorry I don't.

I've managed to get it all more-or-less working with the FX5200, and
picture quality is pretty good, but the lack of widescreen support via
the TV-out is annoying me. To be fair all graphics cards seem to have
this limitation.

I'm still going to junk the FX5200 though. I'm replacing it with a
Radeon, which I will use to drive the TV's RGB inputs directly from the
VGA connector on the card, obviating the need for TV-out altogether and
producing a proper widescreen picture which will be much higher quality
to boot.

This is possible with a very simple cable on the Radeons, due to their
ability to produce a composite sync signal, apparently yet another
feature the NVidia cards lack.
--
Toby
Anonymous

Toby Groves:

> drive the TV's RGB inputs directly from the
> VGA connector on the card, obviating the need for TV-out altogether and
> producing a proper widescreen picture which will be much higher quality
> to boot.

> This is possible with a very simple cable on the Radeons, due to their
> ability to produce a composite sync signal, apparently yet another
> feature the NVidia cards lack.

I thought the Radeon cable converted s-video to composite but still
limited you to s-video resolution. If so, you gain nothing by switching.
AFAIK, a VGA converter ($150) is required to do what you claim. If I'm
wrong I would like to know, maybe I will switch.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

In article <Xns9597CC7CC4F23MacCool@24.25.9.42>, Mac Cool
<Mac@2cool.com> writes
>Toby Groves:
>
>> drive the TV's RGB inputs directly from the
>> VGA connector on the card, obviating the need for TV-out altogether and
>> producing a proper widescreen picture which will be much higher quality
>> to boot.
>
>> This is possible with a very simple cable on the Radeons, due to their
>> ability to produce a composite sync signal, apparently yet another
>> feature the NVidia cards lack.
>
>I thought the Radeon cable converted s-video to composite but still
>limited you to s-video resolution. If so, you gain nothing by switching.
>AFAIK, a VGA converter ($150) is required to do what you claim. If I'm
>wrong I would like to know, maybe I will switch.

No, I'm on about a cable which connects the standard analogue 15 pin
D-SUB graphics card connector to the RGB SCART input of the TV.

The red, green and blue signals are compatible but the problem is that
graphics cards put out separate horizontal and vertical sync signals,
whereas the TV wants a single composite sync signal. This is something
totally different to a composite video signal mind, the video
information is being carried via the red, green and blue signals, which
provides much better quality than s-video. Obviously you'll need a TV
which has RGB inputs, which are very common in the UK and Europe, but
not in the US where component inputs seem to be the norm.

The Radeons are capable of outputting a composite sync signal directly,
making the cable a straight through connection. Other cards can't do
this, so you need some electronics to amalgamate the two sync signals.

Using this method, it's possible to pass true 16:9 ratio images to the
TV, such as 960x540 or 1024x576, which isn't possible via tv-out
connections.
--
Toby
Anonymous

Toby Groves wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:57:37 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Get yourself a plain Leadtek 6800, they rock, the TV out is amazing.
>
> Firstly I want to know why the FX5200 is incapable of producing a
> TV-out image with the correct aspect ratio.
>
> Secondly, as all of NVidia's current cards are based on the same
> chipset, I have no confidence that the 6800 will be any different, and
> I'm not about drop a fortune on one just to try it out.

??????

The FX5200 is nv34, the 6800 is nv40, the 6600 is nv43, and this totally
ignores the several different chipsets used on the FX5 series boards other
than the 5200. They are hardly "based on the same chipset".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)