Proper Overclocking for 6800 GT?

I just got a XFX 6800 GT w/256 DDR. I dont really overclock anything, but I've read that they are easily overclocked to 6800
Ultra speeds. I understand that the GT ramdac is 350mhz, and the memory speed is 1Ghz. I know the ramdac speed on the Ultra
is 400mhz, whats the memory speed at? If I push my GT ramdac to 400, how high should I push the memory to? Whats the cutoff
line to what most people can get their GT to? Just some noob questions from an overclocking noob, I hope you can tolerate me
and give me some answers. Thanks :)

"husker3in4" <husker3in4@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I just got a XFX 6800 GT w/256 DDR. I dont really overclock anything, but
I've read that they are easily overclocked to 6800
> Ultra speeds. I understand that the GT ramdac is 350mhz, and the memory
speed is 1Ghz. I know the ramdac speed on the Ultra
> is 400mhz, whats the memory speed at? If I push my GT ramdac to 400, how
high should I push the memory to? Whats the cutoff
> line to what most people can get their GT to? Just some noob questions
from an overclocking noob, I hope you can tolerate me
> and give me some answers. Thanks :)

Go for the highest scores at Futuremark 3Dmarks2005 and you will see how
much others OC their GT and U cards.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"husker3in4" <husker3in4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just got a XFX 6800 GT w/256 DDR. I dont really overclock anything, but
>I've read that they are easily overclocked to 6800
> Ultra speeds. I understand that the GT ramdac is 350mhz, and the memory
> speed is 1Ghz. I know the ramdac speed on the Ultra
> is 400mhz, whats the memory speed at?

You are confused about what a ramdac is. A modern graphics card has a
processor ("GPU") and memory, and both of these can be set to run at various
speeds. The ramdac is a completely different thing. It is the component
that takes the data in the "frame buffer" (the final rendered output) and
converts it to a signal that can be displayed on your monitor. The speed of
the ramdac dictates how high a refresh rate you can set on your monitor. So
a system might have (say) a 400MHz ramdac, or a 350MHz ramdac. These are
the maximum speeds that the ramdac could run at. It has nothing to do with
GPU or memory speed and its not adjustable. A card either has a 400MHz
ramdac or it doesn't.

Anyway, back to your question:

The nVidia specification for an Ultra is 400MHz GPU (sometimes called
"core") and 1100MHz for the memory.

> If I push my GT ramdac to 400, how high should I push the memory to?

The Ultra uses 1.6ns ram chips, whereas the 6800GT only uses 2.0ns ram
chips. So in general you can't run the memory as fast on a GT as you can on
an Ultra. You can often get to 1100MHz with a GT (not always, but often).
Usually an Ultra can be clocked a little higher than that - perhaps to
1200MHz or more.

> Whats the cutoff line to what most people can get their GT to?

It varies enormously. Some people struggle to get above 370/1000, others
have managed to hit 450/1200 or even higher. It really depends on your
individual card, your power supply, case cooling, video card cooling etc.
The only way to find out for yourself is to try it. You can even get higher
numbers by modifying the card's bios to use a higher voltage, but I suggest
this is something to think about much later, after you've mastered the
basics.

> Just some noob questions from an overclocking noob, I hope you can
> tolerate me
> and give me some answers. Thanks :)

No probs.

Chip

There is no "proper overclocking" for any card. You slowly increase the
memory and/or core BASED ON YOUR COOLING AND ACTUAL CHIP PROPERTIES, and
when it starts to go bad you back it off.

"husker3in4" <husker3in4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just got a XFX 6800 GT w/256 DDR. I dont really overclock anything, but
I've read that they are easily overclocked to 6800
> Ultra speeds. I understand that the GT ramdac is 350mhz, and the memory
speed is 1Ghz. I know the ramdac speed on the Ultra
> is 400mhz, whats the memory speed at? If I push my GT ramdac to 400, how
high should I push the memory to? Whats the cutoff
> line to what most people can get their GT to? Just some noob questions
from an overclocking noob, I hope you can tolerate me
> and give me some answers. Thanks :)

I'm using stock cooling, still safe to go 400/1100?

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:52:42 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:

>There is no "proper overclocking" for any card. You slowly increase the
>memory and/or core BASED ON YOUR COOLING AND ACTUAL CHIP PROPERTIES, and
>when it starts to go bad you back it off.
>

>"husker3in4" <husker3in4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I just got a XFX 6800 GT w/256 DDR. I dont really overclock anything, but
>I've read that they are easily overclocked to 6800
>> Ultra speeds. I understand that the GT ramdac is 350mhz, and the memory
>speed is 1Ghz. I know the ramdac speed on the Ultra
>> is 400mhz, whats the memory speed at? If I push my GT ramdac to 400, how
>high should I push the memory to? Whats the cutoff
>> line to what most people can get their GT to? Just some noob questions
>from an overclocking noob, I hope you can tolerate me
>> and give me some answers. Thanks :)

alex

I can get 430/1200 with a galaxy glacier 6800GT.
But then i get worried and back down to 425/1150.

> I'm using stock cooling, still safe to go 400/1100?

Probably. It depends on what the GPU temperatures are. If you have really
bad case cooling, then it might not be OK. You're unlikely to damage
anything trying though. Note: Unlikely. Not impossible.

Chip

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:52:42 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:
>
>>There is no "proper overclocking" for any card. You slowly increase the
>>memory and/or core BASED ON YOUR COOLING AND ACTUAL CHIP PROPERTIES, and
>>when it starts to go bad you back it off.
>>

>>"husker3in4" <husker3in4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I just got a XFX 6800 GT w/256 DDR. I dont really overclock anything,
>>> but
>>I've read that they are easily overclocked to 6800
>>> Ultra speeds. I understand that the GT ramdac is 350mhz, and the memory
>>speed is 1Ghz. I know the ramdac speed on the Ultra
>>> is 400mhz, whats the memory speed at? If I push my GT ramdac to 400, how
>>high should I push the memory to? Whats the cutoff
>>> line to what most people can get their GT to? Just some noob questions
>>from an overclocking noob, I hope you can tolerate me
>>> and give me some answers. Thanks :)

I'm getting artifacts over 422MHz on my glacier 6800GT :-( Mem is at 1130
tho, so I may go a little higher :)