IBM: PCs are "Going The Way of Typewriters"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I want a big screen with lots of display real estate so I can have several windows open for maximum productivity and in my free time I want to game (and I don't mean facebook games). So no, I don't think a tablet can replace that due to its fundamental physical properties, and agree this is a PC-plus era.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
The only way a "PC" will become like the typewriter is when technology advances so much that the interface will change into something out of the movie "Minority Report" and the physical hardware fits into a phone like device (the power graphics/cpu/RAM/ect)

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
When they can stuff a raid 0 SSD's with 1TB of drive space, have a 20+ inch screen and 3 way crossfire into a tablet or cell phone, I'll kill my desktop.

[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]The only way a "PC" will become like the typewriter is when technology advances so much that the interface will change into something out of the movie "Minority Report" and the physical hardware fits into a phone like device (the power graphics/cpu/RAM/ect)[/citation]
But the problem is no matter how much miniaturization the hardware had, a physically larger chassis allow more stuff go in there for more performance and given the computer don't get bulkier in the future, it still fits nicely for static use in office or home.

What a joke. Doesn't anyone know what PC stands for: Personal Computer? Isn't that what a smartphone/tablet/laptop/desktop is? Personal and a Computer? I laugh when people say PC is dying. I think they mean the 'DESKTOP' is dying. The big clunky things that are better than many other computational devices, except supercomputers?

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]But the problem is no matter how much miniaturization the hardware had, a physically larger chassis allow more stuff go in there for more performance and given the computer don't get bulkier in the future, it still fits nicely for static use in office or home.[/citation]

My point was generally explained by bak0n.

[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]My point was generally explained by bak0n.[/citation]
But by then a desktop size pc will have the power of a super computer of today, not the power of a performance desktop found in the smaller form factor pc of the future.

G

Yeah, I think Mr. Dean has a disconnect from what's happening. The iPad and similar devices are content consumption devices, but that's all they are. Getting work done will continue to require a real computer for the foreseeable future, right up until the point computers write programs for us.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Summary of ten paragraphs: "I don't know what the future holds, but it'll likely contain PC's and combination of other portable devices in varying ratio's."

Really....

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Saying that the PC will eventually be replaced with a superior device sometime in the future is stating the obvious. Stating that tablets or any other similar devices are a leap forward in the same way that the PC was a leap forward from a typewriter is folly. We won't need to concern ourselves with any brilliant ideas anytime soon when the industry is full of talking heads like this and not thinking heads.

The real problem with the computing industry is that they've hit a lot of physical/technological walls and they're trying to sell us on the concept that less is better. They stopped pushing the Ghz limit of single cores, they're currently hitting the limit on how many cores are needed when people will only run so many processes at once. Hard drive limits have stopped growing like they used to. Graphics needs will also hit limitations eventually, you only need so many pixels on screen and there's only so many tricks they can pull to smooth it. Smaller is where the industry wants to go because it's the only direction they have left.

They're doing it wrong again. Desktops won't get killed by tablets. Laptops will get killed by tablets maybe. Not really, though. Just among people that don't need a computer for anything except iTunes and the internet and email. Pretty sick of hearing about this over and over as well.

[citation][nom]dioxholster[/nom]i dont know anyone who has a desktop anymore. unless you are a gamer or use it for certain work, its basically over.[/citation]
In contrary, I don't know anyone who want to use a tablet or phone from factor computer as their primary computing device.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
How many tablet apps are programmed on the tablet? Still on PC/Mac last I checked.

When was the last time you typed a 10 page term paper on a tablet? Almost all that still happens on PC/Macs too.

Tablets/phones are just taking over the casual stuff that used to happen on a computer. All serious work still gets done on PCs

G

For maximum productivity you need a large monitor (19-24") and decent, precise input devices like the classic keyboard and optical mouse. I can't imagine anyone working on a 10" tablet or 4" phone instead.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Don't know what they are talking about. PC's are cheap, really cheap. You put the parts together yourself and can save a lot of money compared to retail crap.

PCs have to be built now with Operating System Drives (Solid-State Drive with only the OS on it, and configured not to save regular programs on it). Tablets and smartphones are leaps and bounds behind the PC, as are console gaming platforms (PS3 and XBox360)

Status
Not open for further replies.