GREAT aftermarket cooling for 6800GT or GTOC

Running a BFG FX 6800 GT OC which runs stock at 370/1000

Today I received my NvSilencer
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html via FedEx.

Woohoo! Installed it and oh yes it sure does make a difference!
Ran 3dMark 05 and watched temps whole time on 2nd monitor

Overclocking core to 389 and mem to 1.07ghz:
STOCK COOLING: GPU got as hot as 82C, Ambient got as hot as 62C
nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 70C, Ambient <=50C

Bumped my core to 406 and mem to 1.10ghz:
nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 73C, Ambient <=53C

So went ahead and bumped core to 411 and kept mem at 1.10ghz just to see if
I could (oh and turned off second monitor cuz now I want to see what kind of
3dMark score I can get.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=226919

Another nice benefit is this thing routes the hot air OUT of your case
through the back, meaning ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and other
cards is lowered. Beware, if your GT or GTOC was not taking up two slots
before, now it does. Be sure you have a free slot next to your AGP slot.

--
Scotter

Pfft, i can overclock my Leadtek 6800GT to 425/1150, no modding required.

Richard Dower wrote:
> Pfft, i can overclock my Leadtek 6800GT to 425/1150, no modding required.

410/1100 here with a max temp of 68c PNY 6800gt, stock cooling, could
probably go higher but I only wanted to at least get to ultra specs plus
a few more and feel how comfortable that extra $150 is sitting in my
wallet waiting to be spent on something else.

--
"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for
his country.

"James Riske" <james_riske@nothingwillhappen_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 410/1100 here with a max temp of 68c PNY 6800gt, stock cooling, could
> probably go higher but I only wanted to at least get to ultra specs plus a
> few more and feel how comfortable that extra $150 is sitting in my wallet
> waiting to be spent on something else.

Indeed. :)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Pfft, i can overclock my Leadtek 6800GT to 425/1150, no modding required.

Pah. I can get 453/1120 with mine. Shame the 1120 isn't too stunning, but
the 453 isn't bad!

Chip

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Running a BFG FX 6800 GT OC which runs stock at 370/1000
>>
>> Today I received my NvSilencer
>> http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html via FedEx.
>>
>> Woohoo! Installed it and oh yes it sure does make a difference!
>> Ran 3dMark 05 and watched temps whole time on 2nd monitor
>>
>> Overclocking core to 389 and mem to 1.07ghz:
>> STOCK COOLING: GPU got as hot as 82C, Ambient got as hot as 62C
>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 70C, Ambient <=50C
>>
>> Bumped my core to 406 and mem to 1.10ghz:
>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 73C, Ambient <=53C
>>
>> So went ahead and bumped core to 411 and kept mem at 1.10ghz just to see
>> if I could (oh and turned off second monitor cuz now I want to see what
>> kind of 3dMark score I can get.
>>
>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=226919
>>
>> Another nice benefit is this thing routes the hot air OUT of your case
>> through the back, meaning ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and
>> other cards is lowered. Beware, if your GT or GTOC was not taking up two
>> slots before, now it does. Be sure you have a free slot next to your AGP
>> slot.
>>
>> --
>> Scotter

So maybe you faster guys could go faster yet at 10c less.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

JTS

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

Ed Light wrote:
> So maybe you faster guys could go faster yet at 10c less.

Pft. Pah. I agree Ed.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> So maybe you faster guys could go faster yet at 10c less.

Actually, no.

I increased the core voltage on my card to 1.4v and its at that setting that
I can run 453MHz. The temps weren't too bad - mid 70's I think - but I
thought it would be safer to replace the stock cooler with a VGA Silencer if
I was going to run at high speed for prolonged periods. Whereas I am
delighted with the VGA Silencer, inasmuchas its brought the temps down by
around 10C, in fact it hasn't made any difference whatsoever to my max
overclock.

If I had a waterblock and load temps were in the 40's rather than the 60's
maybe it would make a difference. But it seems if you are comparing 60's
with 70's, the overclock is actually unaffected.

Chip

I hear you saying you can run 453MHz with the stock cooling and it doesn't
get very hot so why run something that only lowers it 10C and still doesn't
allow you to get past that 453MHz mark. That makes sense. But I, for one,
would feel like 453MHz @ 60C is safer and more stable than 453MHz @ 70C

To me there are also other benefits to using something like NVSilencer, such
as:
(a) Because the NVSilencer ejects the warm air outside the back of the case,
you get lowered ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and other cards.
(b) Possibly longer lifespan for your video card.
(c) Quieter.

So I guess something like this is great for someone like me who just wants
to run his GT at around 400C with 10C lower temps and lower noise and such
but if you are someone wanting to push your card to the very edge, something
more hard core like water cooling is probably what you want... ?

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> So maybe you faster guys could go faster yet at 10c less.
>>

> Actually, no.
>
> I increased the core voltage on my card to 1.4v and its at that setting
> that I can run 453MHz. The temps weren't too bad - mid 70's I think - but
> I thought it would be safer to replace the stock cooler with a VGA
> Silencer if I was going to run at high speed for prolonged periods.
> Whereas I am delighted with the VGA Silencer, inasmuchas its brought the
> temps down by around 10C, in fact it hasn't made any difference whatsoever
> to my max overclock.
>
> If I had a waterblock and load temps were in the 40's rather than the 60's
> maybe it would make a difference. But it seems if you are comparing 60's
> with 70's, the overclock is actually unaffected.
>
> Chip

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

>I hear you saying you can run 453MHz with the stock cooling and it doesn't
>get very hot so why run something that only lowers it 10C and still doesn't
>allow you to get past that 453MHz mark. That makes sense. But I, for one,
>would feel like 453MHz @ 60C is safer and more stable than 453MHz @ 70C

That's what I said. I thought it would be safer to run it at lower temps if
I was going to push it.

> To me there are also other benefits to using something like NVSilencer,
> such as:
> (a) Because the NVSilencer ejects the warm air outside the back of the
> case, you get lowered ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and other
> cards.

True. Only marginal benefit since the amount of air coming out of the case
is minimal, but true nevertheless.

> (b) Possibly longer lifespan for your video card.

True.

> (c) Quieter.

True.

> So I guess something like this is great for someone like me who just wants
> to run his GT at around 400C with 10C lower temps and lower noise and such
> but if you are someone wanting to push your card to the very edge,
> something more hard core like water cooling is probably what you want... ?

Maybe. I am delighted with my VGA Silencer though. It does everything I
expected of it (based on my experiences of a VGA Silencer on my old 9700
Pro)

Chip.

Without much testing yet, it appears that my ti4200 (stock fan) when maxed
out ups my case temp 7C. My cpu heatsink has no fan, just a duct to the case
fan (panaflo at 2350rpm). Without 3D activity, maxing out the cpu for a long
time doesn't raise the system temp. at all.

So, that 7C may be keeping me from upping the cpu voltage to go to a higher
speed; my cpu temp gets too hot for my liking when I run that way during
Trainz, which makes a whimp of my ti4200.

(mobile 2200 35w, 166x13=2150, 1.58v)

I think that if I get an AGP 6600GT with a vga silencer then maybe I can
overclock the cpu some more, since the cpu will be eating 7C cooler air.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Cool, Chip.
I also wonder, though, if you have just come up against the finite
limitation of this card's chipset @ 453MHz? Ya know? Like at that hellacious
speed (for that chip), there are certain problems with keeping the electrons
"in line" and no amount of cooling or supercooling, heh, could make a
difference. I mean hey 453 is a very high percentage of 350 if we are
talking about the stock rating of a GT! It would be like getting what
something above ~ 2.9ghz out of my 2.2ghz FX-51 cpu. And yeah, I realize I
am comparing apples and oranges :)

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>I hear you saying you can run 453MHz with the stock cooling and it doesn't
>>get very hot so why run something that only lowers it 10C and still
>>doesn't allow you to get past that 453MHz mark. That makes sense. But I,
>>for one, would feel like 453MHz @ 60C is safer and more stable than 453MHz
>>@ 70C
>
> That's what I said. I thought it would be safer to run it at lower temps
> if I was going to push it.
>
>> To me there are also other benefits to using something like NVSilencer,
>> such as:
>> (a) Because the NVSilencer ejects the warm air outside the back of the
>> case, you get lowered ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and other
>> cards.
>
> True. Only marginal benefit since the amount of air coming out of the
> case is minimal, but true nevertheless.
>
>> (b) Possibly longer lifespan for your video card.
>
> True.
>
>> (c) Quieter.
>
> True.
>
>> So I guess something like this is great for someone like me who just
>> wants to run his GT at around 400C with 10C lower temps and lower noise
>> and such but if you are someone wanting to push your card to the very
>> edge, something more hard core like water cooling is probably what you
>> want... ?
>
> Maybe. I am delighted with my VGA Silencer though. It does everything I
> expected of it (based on my experiences of a VGA Silencer on my old 9700
> Pro)
>
> Chip.

Yeah good point, Ed.
That reminds me of some factors that are affecting all of us here.
Some of you here have quoted some pretty low temp numbers on stock
equipment; low compared to mine.
Things like
(a) airflow within the case
(b) ambient temperature of the room the computer is in and where the
computer is in that room
(c) devices in the case and what kind of heat they put out
(d) fans in the case, etc...

> Without much testing yet, it appears that my ti4200 (stock fan) when maxed
> out ups my case temp 7C. My cpu heatsink has no fan, just a duct to the
> case fan (panaflo at 2350rpm). Without 3D activity, maxing out the cpu for
> a long time doesn't raise the system temp. at all.
>
> So, that 7C may be keeping me from upping the cpu voltage to go to a
> higher speed; my cpu temp gets too hot for my liking when I run that way
> during Trainz, which makes a whimp of my ti4200.
>
> (mobile 2200 35w, 166x13=2150, 1.58v)
>
> I think that if I get an AGP 6600GT with a vga silencer then maybe I can
> overclock the cpu some more, since the cpu will be eating 7C cooler air.
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Cool, Chip.
> I also wonder, though, if you have just come up against the finite
> limitation of this card's chipset @ 453MHz? Ya know? Like at that
> hellacious speed (for that chip), there are certain problems with keeping
> the electrons "in line" and no amount of cooling or supercooling, heh,
> could make a difference. I mean hey 453 is a very high percentage of 350
> if we are talking about the stock rating of a GT! It would be like getting
> what something above ~ 2.9ghz out of my 2.2ghz FX-51 cpu. And yeah, I
> realize I am comparing apples and oranges :)

I quite agree. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding here. I made my post
only to show that the VGA Silencer didn't increase my overclock at all.

I was not meaning to imply that I was in any way unhappy with that fact or
unhappy with the overclock I can get. In fact I think its pretty remarkable
that a 350MHz component will run 453MHz at all. "Shame" that the memory is
only good for 1120. Still, mustn't grumble ;-)

Chip

VGA Silencers have been pretty popular on the ATi side, notably because the
stock ATi coolers were inadaquate. (Hordes of ATi users dressing up their
cards to look like Geforces... heh)

Consider this, though: since the copper plate covers both the GPU and RAM,
is there a chance that the RAM is getting heated up by the hotter GPU?

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Running a BFG FX 6800 GT OC which runs stock at 370/1000
>
> Today I received my NvSilencer
> http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html via FedEx.
>
> Woohoo! Installed it and oh yes it sure does make a difference!
> Ran 3dMark 05 and watched temps whole time on 2nd monitor
>
> Overclocking core to 389 and mem to 1.07ghz:
> STOCK COOLING: GPU got as hot as 82C, Ambient got as hot as 62C
> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 70C, Ambient <=50C
>
> Bumped my core to 406 and mem to 1.10ghz:
> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 73C, Ambient <=53C
>
> So went ahead and bumped core to 411 and kept mem at 1.10ghz just to see
if
> I could (oh and turned off second monitor cuz now I want to see what kind
of
> 3dMark score I can get.
>
> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=226919
>
> Another nice benefit is this thing routes the hot air OUT of your case
> through the back, meaning ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and
other
> cards is lowered. Beware, if your GT or GTOC was not taking up two slots
> before, now it does. Be sure you have a free slot next to your AGP slot.
>
> --
> Scotter

Wow that is an excellent question!
Any "real world" engineers (as opposed to software engineers like me, heh)
out there who can answer this question?

> VGA Silencers have been pretty popular on the ATi side, notably because
> the
> stock ATi coolers were inadaquate. (Hordes of ATi users dressing up their
> cards to look like Geforces... heh)
>
> Consider this, though: since the copper plate covers both the GPU and RAM,
> is there a chance that the RAM is getting heated up by the hotter GPU?

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Running a BFG FX 6800 GT OC which runs stock at 370/1000
>>
>> Today I received my NvSilencer
>> http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html via FedEx.
>>
>> Woohoo! Installed it and oh yes it sure does make a difference!
>> Ran 3dMark 05 and watched temps whole time on 2nd monitor
>>
>> Overclocking core to 389 and mem to 1.07ghz:
>> STOCK COOLING: GPU got as hot as 82C, Ambient got as hot as 62C
>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 70C, Ambient <=50C
>>
>> Bumped my core to 406 and mem to 1.10ghz:
>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 73C, Ambient <=53C
>>
>> So went ahead and bumped core to 411 and kept mem at 1.10ghz just to see
> if
>> I could (oh and turned off second monitor cuz now I want to see what kind
> of
>> 3dMark score I can get.
>>
>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=226919
>>
>> Another nice benefit is this thing routes the hot air OUT of your case
>> through the back, meaning ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and
> other
>> cards is lowered. Beware, if your GT or GTOC was not taking up two slots
>> before, now it does. Be sure you have a free slot next to your AGP slot.
>>
>> --
>> Scotter

The heatsink that cover the RAM get heat dessipated by the airflow. The heat
from the RAM module is hotter, heatsink attach and absorb will remove some
heat away.

CapFusion,...

> Wow that is an excellent question!
> Any "real world" engineers (as opposed to software engineers like me, heh)
> out there who can answer this question?
>

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> VGA Silencers have been pretty popular on the ATi side, notably because
>> the
>> stock ATi coolers were inadaquate. (Hordes of ATi users dressing up their
>> cards to look like Geforces... heh)
>>
>> Consider this, though: since the copper plate covers both the GPU and
>> RAM,
>> is there a chance that the RAM is getting heated up by the hotter GPU?
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>

>> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> Running a BFG FX 6800 GT OC which runs stock at 370/1000
>>>
>>> Today I received my NvSilencer
>>> http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html via FedEx.
>>>
>>> Woohoo! Installed it and oh yes it sure does make a difference!
>>> Ran 3dMark 05 and watched temps whole time on 2nd monitor
>>>
>>> Overclocking core to 389 and mem to 1.07ghz:
>>> STOCK COOLING: GPU got as hot as 82C, Ambient got as hot as 62C
>>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 70C, Ambient <=50C
>>>
>>> Bumped my core to 406 and mem to 1.10ghz:
>>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 73C, Ambient <=53C
>>>
>>> So went ahead and bumped core to 411 and kept mem at 1.10ghz just to see
>> if
>>> I could (oh and turned off second monitor cuz now I want to see what
>>> kind
>> of
>>> 3dMark score I can get.
>>>
>>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=226919
>>>
>>> Another nice benefit is this thing routes the hot air OUT of your case
>>> through the back, meaning ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and
>> other
>>> cards is lowered. Beware, if your GT or GTOC was not taking up two slots
>>> before, now it does. Be sure you have a free slot next to your AGP slot.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Scotter

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Wow that is an excellent question!
> Any "real world" engineers (as opposed to software engineers like me, heh)
> out there who can answer this question?

I can tell you its an advantage to have the VGA Silencer in contact with the
ram. You only have to read the experiences of people with water-cooled
6800's who are shocked at how hot the ram gets without any air flow going
over it. I am certain that the VGA Silencer is cooling the ram rather than
heating it up.

Chip

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> VGA Silencers have been pretty popular on the ATi side, notably because
>> the
>> stock ATi coolers were inadaquate. (Hordes of ATi users dressing up their
>> cards to look like Geforces... heh)
>>
>> Consider this, though: since the copper plate covers both the GPU and
>> RAM,
>> is there a chance that the RAM is getting heated up by the hotter GPU?
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>

>> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> Running a BFG FX 6800 GT OC which runs stock at 370/1000
>>>
>>> Today I received my NvSilencer
>>> http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-43.html via FedEx.
>>>
>>> Woohoo! Installed it and oh yes it sure does make a difference!
>>> Ran 3dMark 05 and watched temps whole time on 2nd monitor
>>>
>>> Overclocking core to 389 and mem to 1.07ghz:
>>> STOCK COOLING: GPU got as hot as 82C, Ambient got as hot as 62C
>>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 70C, Ambient <=50C
>>>
>>> Bumped my core to 406 and mem to 1.10ghz:
>>> nvSILENCER COOLING: GPU <= 73C, Ambient <=53C
>>>
>>> So went ahead and bumped core to 411 and kept mem at 1.10ghz just to see
>> if
>>> I could (oh and turned off second monitor cuz now I want to see what
>>> kind
>> of
>>> 3dMark score I can get.
>>>
>>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=226919
>>>
>>> Another nice benefit is this thing routes the hot air OUT of your case
>>> through the back, meaning ambient temp for your CPU, RAM, Drives, and
>> other
>>> cards is lowered. Beware, if your GT or GTOC was not taking up two slots
>>> before, now it does. Be sure you have a free slot next to your AGP slot.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Scotter

Does the 6800GT use DDR2 or GDDR3 again? I thought the latter didn't get as
hot. Then again, anything running that those clock speeds will not be cool
to the touch...

> I can tell you its an advantage to have the VGA Silencer in contact with
the
> ram. You only have to read the experiences of people with water-cooled
> 6800's who are shocked at how hot the ram gets without any air flow going
> over it. I am certain that the VGA Silencer is cooling the ram rather
than
> heating it up.
>
> Chip
>

> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> VGA Silencers have been pretty popular on the ATi side, notably because
> >> the
> >> stock ATi coolers were inadaquate. (Hordes of ATi users dressing up
their
> >> cards to look like Geforces... heh)
> >>
> >> Consider this, though: since the copper plate covers both the GPU and
> >> RAM,
> >> is there a chance that the RAM is getting heated up by the hotter GPU?
> >>
> >> --
> >> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> >> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> >> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >>

> >> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

> >> if
> >> of

> >> other

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Then again, anything running that those clock speeds will not be cool
> to the touch...

Quite so.

Chip