Budget Card...whats best for this setup

After you stop laughing could you tell me what would be the best graphic
card upgrade for this system?

1.4 gig athlon
1 gig of ram
Winxp pro..

At present I have a old Geforce 3. Would getting a new card even help me
much?
I'm a online gamer..mostly MMORPG's..

Thanks

"Paul2" <emperorwoo@nospam.rogers.com> wrote in message

" At present I have a old Geforce 3. Would getting a new card even help me
much? "

It would be better to advise us what motherboard you have first. Is your
Athlon 1.4Ghz the 100FSB or 133FSB version? What RAM do you have? What PSU
do you have? What can you budget for your upgrade?

If you can't upgrade your CPU any further, then I'd advise going no higher
than a GeForce4 Ti, which you can pick up pretty cheaply on eBay.

You can compare the specs of the 'Ti' cards at http://snipurl.com/8y4i , and
you can find a detailed comparison of all similar cards at
http://snipurl.com/857m

Paul2:

> At present I have a old Geforce 3. Would getting a new card even help me
> much?

I agree with Cuzman on his recommendation of a Geforce 4 Ti4200 [$50-60
used]. The Ti4200 is significantly faster than the Geforce 3 (I've had
both cards) and the Ti4200 is much quieter than the Geforce3.

If you can't find a Ti4200 and want to go with a modern card, an FX5700
[$115 new] is about equal to a Ti4200 in terms of power. The 5700LE [$75
new] is not as fast as the 5700 or Ti4200, but it may be fast enough for
the games you play and it can be overclocked to speeds near those of the
5700.
--
Mac Cool