Recommendations for buying a 6800 GT

Can anyone recommend some good brands of 6800 GT? Are there some brands to
stay away from? I'm not planning to OC the card, but factory OC'd is
acceptable to me (as long as the factory cooling is adequate and there's
some decent warranty on that). Right now, I'm considering the XFX GeForce
6800 GT. Anyone know any good or bad things about those cards or the
company?

I'm going to stick it in a system with a 3.06Ghz (533MHz FSB) proc, 1GB of
RAM. Right now, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro. From the benchmarks I've seen, it
looks like I'll get at least 2 times the performance in most games. Does
that seem right? Also, the motherboard I have the (Gigabyte 8INXP) has some
history of problems with AGP 8x. The performance impact should be negligible
when running the 6800 GT at AGP 4x, right?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

alex

I like my new Galaxy Glacier 6800GT.

Factory default speeds of 370Mhz Core (Normal 6800GT=350Mhz)
Its got a brilliant Arctic cooling fan that exhaughts heat outside the PC.
(Takes up an extra PCI slot though.)
Ive turned off one of my case fans as a result, and its quiet.
Overlocks to beyond Ultra speeds.:)

3DMark05 score of 5200ish (overclocked).

Yes, you'll get that sort of performance increase, AGPx8 vs x4 isnt an
issue.
Just means that video textures are loaded into Video memory more quickly,
but the speed of the video processing is unaffected.

Alex

"Alex" <alex@home> wrote in message
>I like my new Galaxy Glacier 6800GT.
>
> Factory default speeds of 370Mhz Core (Normal 6800GT=350Mhz)
> Its got a brilliant Arctic cooling fan that exhaughts heat outside the PC.
> (Takes up an extra PCI slot though.)
> Ive turned off one of my case fans as a result, and its quiet.
> Overlocks to beyond Ultra speeds.:)
>
> 3DMark05 score of 5200ish (overclocked).
>
> Yes, you'll get that sort of performance increase, AGPx8 vs x4 isnt an
> issue.
> Just means that video textures are loaded into Video memory more quickly,
> but the speed of the video processing is unaffected.

What kind of warranty did u get with the card?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only takes
up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across the board
(core, ambient).
IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a BFG, I
highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer. There is a
thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on 10/29 @
5:16pm.

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only takes
> up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across the board
> (core, ambient).
> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a BFG,
> I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer. There
> is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on 10/29 @
> 5:16pm.

I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
though.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

alex

Britain is an expensive place to buy hardware in, I paid just under £300 for
the Galaxy, which is about US $550!!!!

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only takes
> up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across the board
> (core, ambient).
> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a BFG,
> I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer. There
> is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on 10/29 @
> 5:16pm.

Oh man! I assumed you could order from the same places I do since it is over
the net... ?
I got mine at http://www.outpost.com
Maybe you can't because they ?don't? take Euro's?
I look there now and they don't have any BFG GT OC's :(
They do have Ultra OC's but for $499! Ouch.
I'm starting to think the deal I got was super rare.

> Britain is an expensive place to buy hardware in, I paid just under £300
> for the Galaxy, which is about US $550!!!!
>
> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
>> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
>> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
>> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only
>> takes up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across
>> the board (core, ambient).
>> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a
>> BFG, I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer.
>> There is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on
>> 10/29 @ 5:16pm.

The warranty never expires on a BFG 6800 GT OC.

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
>> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
>> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
>> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only
>> takes up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across
>> the board (core, ambient).
>> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a
>> BFG, I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer.
>> There is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on
>> 10/29 @ 5:16pm.
>
> I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
> overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
> though.
>
> --
> NoRemorse
> "Expect me when you see me."

I doubt the warranty on the BFG's covers cooling mods.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

"OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
> The warranty never expires on a BFG 6800 GT OC.
> "NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
>>> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
>>> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
>>> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only
>>> takes up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across
>>> the board (core, ambient).
>>> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a
>>> BFG, I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer.
>>> There is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on
>>> 10/29 @ 5:16pm.
>>
>> I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
>> overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
>> though.
>>
>> --
>> NoRemorse
>> "Expect me when you see me."

"NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
>> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
>> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
>> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only
>> takes up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across
>> the board (core, ambient).
>> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a
>> BFG, I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer.
>> There is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on
>> 10/29 @ 5:16pm.
>
> I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
> overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
> though.

Thats 2 years in Denmark....
Will you keep the card for that long?

"MartinKnud" <martinknudd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> That Galaxy Glacier card sounds great!
>>> I paid $350 for my BFG 6800 GT OC (370 default) and then another $30 or
>>> whatever for the NVSilencer and it sounds like you got it all in one
>>> package. Yeah, BFG puts a good cooling setup on the GT OC (that only
>>> takes up one slot) but the NVSilencer brought my temps down 10C across
>>> the board (core, ambient).
>>> IF you have a problem finding the Galaxy Glacier and end up finding a
>>> BFG, I highly recommend, if you have a slot free, to get the NVSilencer.
>>> There is a thread in this newsgroup talking about this that I started on
>>> 10/29 @ 5:16pm.
>>
>> I'd be concerned with losing the warranty on the card. (I'm not really an
>> overclocker hehe.) I could try the NVSilencer after the warranty expires,
>> though.
>
> Thats 2 years in Denmark....
> Will you keep the card for that long?

I will keep it, it's just it won't be in my main computer.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Oh man! I assumed you could order from the same places I do since it is
> over the net... ?
> I got mine at http://www.outpost.com
> Maybe you can't because they ?don't? take Euro's?
> I look there now and they don't have any BFG GT OC's :(
> They do have Ultra OC's but for $499! Ouch.
> I'm starting to think the deal I got was super rare.

The problem we have in trying to order from US companies are:

1. We have to add 17.5% VAT (sales tax), plus around 4% import duty to the
price.
2. Often US sites won't ship outside the US
3. Often US sites won't accept non-US issued credit cards. Even if you have
a perfectly fine Mastercard or Visa, often US websites won't accept it
4. Often the manufacturer won't honour the warranty in the UK and you'd have
to send it back to the US for RMA.

Taking all the above into account, buying from the US is not that simple,
nor attractive.

Chip