Videocard upgrade advice required

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2004 6:30:36 AM

Hello,

I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:

CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
Memory - 512Meg PC2700
Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)

I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based product.
My question is what is the best option for the above setup? That is do I go
for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900 model. Or do I go
the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card? Will my
motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will I get
optimuum use out of them?

If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the best
card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is between MSI,
Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.

Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information for
us novices?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

FF
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:07:17 AM

How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video card.

Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)

"Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
>
> CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
> M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
> Memory - 512Meg PC2700
> Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
>
> I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
> product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup? That
> is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
> model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
> Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will I
> get optimuum use out of them?
>
> If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
> best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is between
> MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
>
> Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
> for us novices?
>
> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>
> FF

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:28:53 PM

I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this CPU
/ motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every five
years when I purchase a brand new PC.

I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my system
will not be able to cope with it?

Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA MkII
FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work and see if
I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.

FF

> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video card.
>
> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
>

> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
>>
>> CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
>> M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
>> Memory - 512Meg PC2700
>> Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
>>
>> I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
>> product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup? That
>> is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
>> model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
>> Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will I
>> get optimuum use out of them?
>>
>> If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
>> best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is between
>> MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
>>
>> Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
>> for us novices?
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>>
>> FF

November 1, 2004 2:21:46 PM

Sorry about the Falcon dig but I was guessing that most others will not know
what the hell we are talking about.

I ran a 6800 (not GT or Ultra) in a PC with Aopen 300 watt supply, P4 2.8
Gig and it ran perfectly, 2 x HD's, DVD burner, all good. Have since
upgraded to Antec 430 Watt and still fine but have added another drive
since. The 6800 supports DirectX 9.0c.

>I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this
>CPU / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every
>five years when I purchase a brand new PC.
>
> I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my
> system will not be able to cope with it?
>
> Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA
> MkII FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work and
> see if I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.
>
> FF
>
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
>> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
>> card.
>>
>> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
>>

>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
>>>
>>> CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
>>> M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
>>> Memory - 512Meg PC2700
>>> Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
>>> product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup?
>>> That is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or
>>> 5900 model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200
>>> card? Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is
>>> will I get optimuum use out of them?
>>>
>>> If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
>>> best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is
>>> between MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
>>>
>>> Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
>>> for us novices?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>>>
>>> FF

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:43:44 PM

Nice to see another Australian out there in internet land - even if he is on
the dark side

So what brand of card is it? And may I ask how much you paid for it? What
motherboard do you have?

FF

> Sorry about the Falcon dig but I was guessing that most others will not
> know what the hell we are talking about.
>
> I ran a 6800 (not GT or Ultra) in a PC with Aopen 300 watt supply, P4 2.8
> Gig and it ran perfectly, 2 x HD's, DVD burner, all good. Have since
> upgraded to Antec 430 Watt and still fine but have added another drive
> since. The 6800 supports DirectX 9.0c.
>

> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>>I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this
>>CPU / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every
>>five years when I purchase a brand new PC.
>>
>> I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my
>> system will not be able to cope with it?
>>
>> Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA
>> MkII FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work and
>> see if I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.
>>
>> FF
>>
>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
>>> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
>>> card.
>>>
>>> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
>>>

>>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:28:10 PM

When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to have
an AGP card.

I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.

If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if you
need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
going to release an AGP 6600 soon

> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video card.
>
> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
>

> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
> >
> > CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
> > M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
> > Memory - 512Meg PC2700
> > Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
> >
> > I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
> > product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup?
That
> > is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
> > model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
> > Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will
> > get optimuum use out of them?
> >
> > If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
> > best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is
between
> > MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
> >
> > Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
> > for us novices?
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
> >
> > FF

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:10:10 AM

"FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to have
> an AGP card.
>
> I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
> PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.
>
> If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if
> you
> need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
> going to release an AGP 6600 soon
>
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
>> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
>> card.
>>
>> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
>>

>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
>> >
>> > CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
>> > M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
>> > Memory - 512Meg PC2700
>> > Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
>> >
>> > I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
>> > product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup?
> That
>> > is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
>> > model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
>> > Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will
>> > get optimuum use out of them?
>> >
>> > If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
>> > best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is
> between
>> > MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
>> >
>> > Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard
>> > information
>> > for us novices?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>> >
>> > FF

I don't believe my MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset) m/board supports PCI
express. I am correct?

FF
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:10:11 AM

> "FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to
>> have
>> an AGP card.
>>
>> I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
>> PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.
>>
>> If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if
>> you
>> need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
>> going to release an AGP 6600 soon
>>
>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
>>> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
>>> card.
>>>
>>> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
>>>

>>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message

>> That

>> between

> I don't believe my MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset) m/board supports PCI
> express. I am correct?
>
> FF

MIS KT3 Ultra -
MSI Part No: MS-6380E
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT3...

No PCI-E.

CapFusion,..
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:46:45 AM

I think it is debateable how long AGP will last.
I'm saying this in regard to those who caution buying an expensive AGP card.
I think it depends a lot on how long you are willing to wait.
Those PCI-E are just starting to come out.
I wouldn't buy the first rev but if you can wait for Rev 2...
So... you say next month you will buy a video card, yes?
How much longer before you think you'll be ready to replace the other stuff?
From what I hear of your situation, I would agree with Pete D and recommend
you get the lowest priced 6800 AGP (not an LE, though!) card. Anything
higher and I'd be afraid it would be too fast for your current setup to
fully take advantage of and the price would be higher and more likely to be
in that range of regret because you'll be swapping out your whole system in
x amount of time.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:06:37 AM

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to
>>> have
>>> an AGP card.
>>>
>>> I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
>>> PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.
>>>
>>> If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if
>>> you
>>> need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
>>> going to release an AGP 6600 soon
>>>
>>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message

>>> That

>>> between

>> I don't believe my MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset) m/board supports PCI
>> express. I am correct?
>>
>> FF
>>

> MIS KT3 Ultra -
> MSI Part No: MS-6380E
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT3...
>
> No PCI-E.
>
> CapFusion,..

Thanks
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:10:37 AM

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I think it is debateable how long AGP will last.
> I'm saying this in regard to those who caution buying an expensive AGP
> card.
> I think it depends a lot on how long you are willing to wait.
> Those PCI-E are just starting to come out.
> I wouldn't buy the first rev but if you can wait for Rev 2...
> So... you say next month you will buy a video card, yes?
> How much longer before you think you'll be ready to replace the other
> stuff?
> From what I hear of your situation, I would agree with Pete D and
> recommend you get the lowest priced 6800 AGP (not an LE, though!) card.
> Anything higher and I'd be afraid it would be too fast for your current
> setup to fully take advantage of and the price would be higher and more
> likely to be in that range of regret because you'll be swapping out your
> whole system in x amount of time.

I'm planing to buy my next PC in June 2007. So that is some time away. By
them PCI-E and 64bit CPUs will be the norm. This is a mid life update of the
current system that will see me out until 2007. So you say my current setup
will run a 'base' 6800? What is the difference between all of the different
types of 6800 chips/cards?

FF
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 9:45:55 AM

Leadtek A400TDH bought it after my ATI 9800Pro bit the dust and they did not
have a replacement in the shop I paid more to get the 6800, all up cost me
AU$439, pretty happy with that cos I saw one at the computer market last
weekend for AU$490. Motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with P4 2.8
Northwood. I would recomend the better power supply though just for piece of
mind in the longer run.

Cheers.

Pete D

> Nice to see another Australian out there in internet land - even if he is
> on the dark side
>
> So what brand of card is it? And may I ask how much you paid for it? What
> motherboard do you have?
>
> FF
>
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry about the Falcon dig but I was guessing that most others will not
>> know what the hell we are talking about.
>>
>> I ran a 6800 (not GT or Ultra) in a PC with Aopen 300 watt supply, P4 2.8
>> Gig and it ran perfectly, 2 x HD's, DVD burner, all good. Have since
>> upgraded to Antec 430 Watt and still fine but have added another drive
>> since. The 6800 supports DirectX 9.0c.
>>

>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
>>>I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this
>>>CPU / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every
>>>five years when I purchase a brand new PC.
>>>
>>> I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my
>>> system will not be able to cope with it?
>>>
>>> Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA
>>> MkII FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work
>>> and see if I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.
>>>
>>> FF
>>>
>>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 9:48:45 AM

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>I think it is debateable how long AGP will last.
>> I'm saying this in regard to those who caution buying an expensive AGP
>> card.
>> I think it depends a lot on how long you are willing to wait.
>> Those PCI-E are just starting to come out.
>> I wouldn't buy the first rev but if you can wait for Rev 2...
>> So... you say next month you will buy a video card, yes?
>> How much longer before you think you'll be ready to replace the other
>> stuff?
>> From what I hear of your situation, I would agree with Pete D and
>> recommend you get the lowest priced 6800 AGP (not an LE, though!) card.
>> Anything higher and I'd be afraid it would be too fast for your current
>> setup to fully take advantage of and the price would be higher and more
>> likely to be in that range of regret because you'll be swapping out your
>> whole system in x amount of time.
>>

> I'm planing to buy my next PC in June 2007. So that is some time away. By
> them PCI-E and 64bit CPUs will be the norm. This is a mid life update of
> the current system that will see me out until 2007. So you say my current
> setup will run a 'base' 6800? What is the difference between all of the
> different types of 6800 chips/cards?
>
> FF

Have a look at Toms Hardware under vga.
!