Videocard upgrade advice required

Hello,

I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:

CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
Memory - 512Meg PC2700
Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)

I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based product.
My question is what is the best option for the above setup? That is do I go
for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900 model. Or do I go
the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card? Will my
motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will I get
optimuum use out of them?

If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the best
card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is between MSI,
Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.

Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information for
us novices?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

FF
12 answers Last reply
More about videocard upgrade advice required

    How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
    upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video card.

    Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)

    "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
    >
    > CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
    > M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
    > Memory - 512Meg PC2700
    > Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
    >
    > I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
    > product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup? That
    > is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
    > model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
    > Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will I
    > get optimuum use out of them?
    >
    > If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
    > best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is between
    > MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
    >
    > Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
    > for us novices?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
    >
    > FF

    I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this CPU
    / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every five
    years when I purchase a brand new PC.

    I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my system
    will not be able to cope with it?

    Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA MkII
    FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work and see if
    I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.

    FF

    > How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
    > upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video card.
    >
    > Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
    >

    > "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
    >>
    >> CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
    >> M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
    >> Memory - 512Meg PC2700
    >> Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
    >>
    >> I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
    >> product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup? That
    >> is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
    >> model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
    >> Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will I
    >> get optimuum use out of them?
    >>
    >> If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
    >> best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is between
    >> MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
    >>
    >> Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
    >> for us novices?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
    >>
    >> FF

    Sorry about the Falcon dig but I was guessing that most others will not know
    what the hell we are talking about.

    I ran a 6800 (not GT or Ultra) in a PC with Aopen 300 watt supply, P4 2.8
    Gig and it ran perfectly, 2 x HD's, DVD burner, all good. Have since
    upgraded to Antec 430 Watt and still fine but have added another drive
    since. The 6800 supports DirectX 9.0c.

    >I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this
    >CPU / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every
    >five years when I purchase a brand new PC.
    >
    > I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my
    > system will not be able to cope with it?
    >
    > Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA
    > MkII FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work and
    > see if I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.
    >
    > FF
    >
    > "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
    >> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
    >>

    >> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
    >>>
    >>> CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
    >>> M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
    >>> Memory - 512Meg PC2700
    >>> Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
    >>>
    >>> I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
    >>> product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup?
    >>> That is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or
    >>> 5900 model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200
    >>> card? Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is
    >>> will I get optimuum use out of them?
    >>>
    >>> If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
    >>> best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is
    >>> between MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
    >>>
    >>> Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard information
    >>> for us novices?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
    >>>
    >>> FF

    Nice to see another Australian out there in internet land - even if he is on
    the dark side

    So what brand of card is it? And may I ask how much you paid for it? What
    motherboard do you have?

    FF

    > Sorry about the Falcon dig but I was guessing that most others will not
    > know what the hell we are talking about.
    >
    > I ran a 6800 (not GT or Ultra) in a PC with Aopen 300 watt supply, P4 2.8
    > Gig and it ran perfectly, 2 x HD's, DVD burner, all good. Have since
    > upgraded to Antec 430 Watt and still fine but have added another drive
    > since. The 6800 supports DirectX 9.0c.
    >

    > "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    >>I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this
    >>CPU / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every
    >>five years when I purchase a brand new PC.
    >>
    >> I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my
    >> system will not be able to cope with it?
    >>
    >> Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA
    >> MkII FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work and
    >> see if I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.
    >>
    >> FF
    >>
    >> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >>> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
    >>> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
    >>>

    >>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message

    When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to have
    an AGP card.

    I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
    PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.

    If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if you
    need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
    going to release an AGP 6600 soon

    "FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to have
    > an AGP card.
    >
    > I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
    > PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.
    >
    > If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if
    > you
    > need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
    > going to release an AGP 6600 soon
    >
    > "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
    >> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
    >>

    >> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I have the following system which I purchased in June 2002:
    >> >
    >> > CPU - Athlon 2100+XP
    >> > M/board - MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset)
    >> > Memory - 512Meg PC2700
    >> > Video card - Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD (GF4 Ti4200 64 Meg)
    >> >
    >> > I want to upgrade my video card next month to another nVidia based
    >> > product. My question is what is the best option for the above setup?
    > That
    >> > is do I go for a top of the range GeForce FX card 5700, 5800 or 5900
    >> > model. Or do I go the next step and go for the base GeForce 6200 card?
    >> > Will my motherboard/system be able to handle these cards - that is will
    >> > get optimuum use out of them?
    >> >
    >> > If not then what is the best nVidia card for my system? And what is the
    >> > best card manufacturer? I don't know kow much difference there is
    > between
    >> > MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte etc etc.
    >> >
    >> > Plus are there any websites or forums dedicated to videocard
    >> > information
    >> > for us novices?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
    >> >
    >> > FF

    I don't believe my MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset) m/board supports PCI
    express. I am correct?

    FF

    > "FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to
    >> have
    >> an AGP card.
    >>
    >> I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
    >> PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.
    >>
    >> If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if
    >> you
    >> need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
    >> going to release an AGP 6600 soon
    >>
    >> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >>> How much do you want to spend, go for a 6600 or 6800, that way when you
    >>> upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will be able to keep your video
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> Personally I would sell the Falcon though. ;-)
    >>>

    >>> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message

    >> That

    >> between

    > I don't believe my MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset) m/board supports PCI
    > express. I am correct?
    >
    > FF

    MIS KT3 Ultra -
    MSI Part No: MS-6380E
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT3_Ultra&class=mb

    No PCI-E.

    CapFusion,..

    I think it is debateable how long AGP will last.
    I'm saying this in regard to those who caution buying an expensive AGP card.
    I think it depends a lot on how long you are willing to wait.
    Those PCI-E are just starting to come out.
    I wouldn't buy the first rev but if you can wait for Rev 2...
    So... you say next month you will buy a video card, yes?
    How much longer before you think you'll be ready to replace the other stuff?
    From what I hear of your situation, I would agree with Pete D and recommend
    you get the lowest priced 6800 AGP (not an LE, though!) card. Anything
    higher and I'd be afraid it would be too fast for your current setup to
    fully take advantage of and the price would be higher and more likely to be
    in that range of regret because you'll be swapping out your whole system in
    x amount of time.

    "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

    > "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> When AMD shift to PCI-E later this year there will be not much use to
    >>> have
    >>> an AGP card.
    >>>
    >>> I'll either wait for a cheapo AGP based 6600 card to appear or wait for
    >>> PCI-E motherboards to appear and upgrade the whole system.
    >>>
    >>> If you get a cheap(er) 6600 AGP based card now it won't hurt to much if
    >>> you
    >>> need to junk it and go PCI-E later, problem is I don't know if NVIDIA is
    >>> going to release an AGP 6600 soon
    >>>
    >>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message

    >>> That

    >>> between

    >> I don't believe my MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 chipset) m/board supports PCI
    >> express. I am correct?
    >>
    >> FF
    >>

    > MIS KT3 Ultra -
    > MSI Part No: MS-6380E
    > http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT3_Ultra&class=mb
    >
    > No PCI-E.
    >
    > CapFusion,..

    Thanks

    "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >I think it is debateable how long AGP will last.
    > I'm saying this in regard to those who caution buying an expensive AGP
    > card.
    > I think it depends a lot on how long you are willing to wait.
    > Those PCI-E are just starting to come out.
    > I wouldn't buy the first rev but if you can wait for Rev 2...
    > So... you say next month you will buy a video card, yes?
    > How much longer before you think you'll be ready to replace the other
    > stuff?
    > From what I hear of your situation, I would agree with Pete D and
    > recommend you get the lowest priced 6800 AGP (not an LE, though!) card.
    > Anything higher and I'd be afraid it would be too fast for your current
    > setup to fully take advantage of and the price would be higher and more
    > likely to be in that range of regret because you'll be swapping out your
    > whole system in x amount of time.

    I'm planing to buy my next PC in June 2007. So that is some time away. By
    them PCI-E and 64bit CPUs will be the norm. This is a mid life update of the
    current system that will see me out until 2007. So you say my current setup
    will run a 'base' 6800? What is the difference between all of the different
    types of 6800 chips/cards?

    FF

    Leadtek A400TDH bought it after my ATI 9800Pro bit the dust and they did not
    have a replacement in the shop I paid more to get the 6800, all up cost me
    AU$439, pretty happy with that cos I saw one at the computer market last
    weekend for AU$490. Motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with P4 2.8
    Northwood. I would recomend the better power supply though just for piece of
    mind in the longer run.

    Cheers.

    Pete D

    > Nice to see another Australian out there in internet land - even if he is
    > on the dark side
    >
    > So what brand of card is it? And may I ask how much you paid for it? What
    > motherboard do you have?
    >
    > FF
    >
    > "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry about the Falcon dig but I was guessing that most others will not
    >> know what the hell we are talking about.
    >>
    >> I ran a 6800 (not GT or Ultra) in a PC with Aopen 300 watt supply, P4 2.8
    >> Gig and it ran perfectly, 2 x HD's, DVD burner, all good. Have since
    >> upgraded to Antec 430 Watt and still fine but have added another drive
    >> since. The 6800 supports DirectX 9.0c.
    >>

    >> "Falcon Freak" <not@supplied.com> wrote in message
    >>>I want a card that will last for about two years which will see out this
    >>>CPU / motherboard combination. I start with a clean sheet of paper every
    >>>five years when I purchase a brand new PC.
    >>>
    >>> I heard that the 6600 & 6800 have large power consumption - maybe my
    >>> system will not be able to cope with it?
    >>>
    >>> Sell my Falcon? Sounds like a good idea as I want to get one of the BA
    >>> MkII FPV Typhoons. Need to speak to LeasePlan when I get back to work
    >>> and see if I can cut the lease short on my current BA Falcon.
    >>>
    >>> FF
    >>>
    >>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>I think it is debateable how long AGP will last.
    >> I'm saying this in regard to those who caution buying an expensive AGP
    >> card.
    >> I think it depends a lot on how long you are willing to wait.
    >> Those PCI-E are just starting to come out.
    >> I wouldn't buy the first rev but if you can wait for Rev 2...
    >> So... you say next month you will buy a video card, yes?
    >> How much longer before you think you'll be ready to replace the other
    >> stuff?
    >> From what I hear of your situation, I would agree with Pete D and
    >> recommend you get the lowest priced 6800 AGP (not an LE, though!) card.
    >> Anything higher and I'd be afraid it would be too fast for your current
    >> setup to fully take advantage of and the price would be higher and more
    >> likely to be in that range of regret because you'll be swapping out your
    >> whole system in x amount of time.
    >>

    > I'm planing to buy my next PC in June 2007. So that is some time away. By
    > them PCI-E and 64bit CPUs will be the norm. This is a mid life update of
    > the current system that will see me out until 2007. So you say my current
    > setup will run a 'base' 6800? What is the difference between all of the
    > different types of 6800 chips/cards?
    >
    > FF

    Have a look at Toms Hardware under vga.

Nvidia Graphics