Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot chanage Home page in Internet Explorer Vers 6

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I recently dropped Comcast cable and changed to BellSouth DSL but
cannot change the start up page (home page)in IE vers 6 can anyone tell
me how to do it. I even went into registry and changed or deleted
everything I could find that said Comcast and it still reverts to it. I
am lost as what to do next.

Thanks for any assistance!

Lee
March 16, 2005 12:58:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

In IE, when you go to Tools; Internet Options... and change the Home page,
do you click the "Apply" button?

Jack


"Delete" <"lbray5032(Delete)"@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:_noZd.33510$5T6.5377@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> I recently dropped Comcast cable and changed to BellSouth DSL but cannot
> change the start up page (home page)in IE vers 6 can anyone tell me how to
> do it. I even went into registry and changed or deleted everything I
> could find that said Comcast and it still reverts to it. I am lost as
> what to do next.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Lee
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:48:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy, and run them

also, download CWShredder and run it

download.com has them


"Delete" <"lbray5032(Delete)"@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:_noZd.33510$5T6.5377@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> I recently dropped Comcast cable and changed to BellSouth DSL but cannot
> change the start up page (home page)in IE vers 6 can anyone tell me how to
> do it. I even went into registry and changed or deleted everything I
> could find that said Comcast and it still reverts to it. I am lost as
> what to do next.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Lee
Related resources
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:46:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Well I tried CWShredder, also Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware
Professional with no luck IE still keeps using COMCAST as home page. I
did go to Tools and changed the home page and did hit apply but it
continues to be COMCAST. Even sent e-mail to COMCAST for assistance but
no reply to date.

Lee
March 16, 2005 7:17:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I've never heard of Comcast high-jacking home pages!
In Spybot S&D, in the tools, there is a box to check to prevent your Home
age from being changed. Do you have that checked? Or in any of the other
anti-spyware programs?

Jack

"Delete" <"lbray5032(Delete)"@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:GTVZd.36460$5T6.17954@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> Well I tried CWShredder, also Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware
> Professional with no luck IE still keeps using COMCAST as home page. I
> did go to Tools and changed the home page and did hit apply but it
> continues to be COMCAST. Even sent e-mail to COMCAST for assistance but
> no reply to date.
>
> Lee
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:42:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Yes, I've seen ISPs hijack the homepage. I just had this happened with a
computer borrowed recently. Sometimes the ISP software sets the homepage to
its own site and locks it so that everything is grayed out when you try to
change it. Could be spyware too.

In any case, some of the MVPs on the Microsoft newsgroups have prepared
registry fixes, including one that unlock the homepage. You can review and
download the appropriate one on this page:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

As always, back up your registry before doing anything. But this should
solve the OP's problem. Lots of good advice here too :o )


--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.






"Jack" <donk502@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:39rm42F622h72U1@individual.net...
> I've never heard of Comcast high-jacking home pages!
> In Spybot S&D, in the tools, there is a box to check to prevent your Home
> age from being changed. Do you have that checked? Or in any of the other
> anti-spyware programs?
>
> Jack
March 17, 2005 2:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Try running HijackThis, see what Comcast has in there.

"Delete" <"lbray5032(Delete)"@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:_noZd.33510$5T6.5377@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> I recently dropped Comcast cable and changed to BellSouth DSL but cannot
> change the start up page (home page)in IE vers 6 can anyone tell me how to
> do it. I even went into registry and changed or deleted everything I
> could find that said Comcast and it still reverts to it. I am lost as
> what to do next.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> Lee
March 20, 2005 6:58:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

There is a simple fix to this. Download either SlimBrowser from
www.flashpeak.com or Maxthon from www.maxthon.com
These are both wonderful free programs that still use internet explorer for
the browser, but replace the User Interface with there own. They both have
many wonderful features like tabbed browsing and popup blocking. They both
allow you to set a home page and ignore the usual Internet Explorer home
page. They will still retain all your favorites since they use the IE
favorites folder.

Make the program the default browser. The only time Internet Explorer will
start up is if a program specifically calls it, like Windows Update.
Otherwise switch to one of these. I slightly prefer Maxthon over
Slimbrowser but they are both excellent.

Ed
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:31:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Ed wrote:
> There is a simple fix to this. Download either SlimBrowser from
> www.flashpeak.com or Maxthon from www.maxthon.com
> These are both wonderful free programs that still use internet explorer for
> the browser, but replace the User Interface with there own. They both have
> many wonderful features like tabbed browsing and popup blocking. They both
> allow you to set a home page and ignore the usual Internet Explorer home
> page. They will still retain all your favorites since they use the IE
> favorites folder.
>
> Make the program the default browser. The only time Internet Explorer will
> start up is if a program specifically calls it, like Windows Update.
> Otherwise switch to one of these. I slightly prefer Maxthon over
> Slimbrowser but they are both excellent.

Hi Ed

Thanks for the information. I am using Firefox and Thunderbird for
now. Like them both but like to figure out the problems and so far I
have hit the proverbial stone wall. Nothing I did worked and so far any
suggestions also hit the same wall. Just bugs me I can't fix it and I
have wasted a lot of time trying.

Lee
March 21, 2005 1:23:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Just a thought in XP they say to turn off System Restore then clean the
spyware, then turn it on again. I think you are using GoBack, I don't know
if it works the same way. Tim
"Delete" <"lbray5032(Delete)"@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:bVl%d.41629$Q83.41365@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Ed wrote:
>> There is a simple fix to this. Download either SlimBrowser from
>> www.flashpeak.com or Maxthon from www.maxthon.com
>> These are both wonderful free programs that still use internet explorer
>> for
>> the browser, but replace the User Interface with there own. They both
>> have
>> many wonderful features like tabbed browsing and popup blocking. They
>> both
>> allow you to set a home page and ignore the usual Internet Explorer home
>> page. They will still retain all your favorites since they use the IE
>> favorites folder.
>>
>> Make the program the default browser. The only time Internet Explorer
>> will
>> start up is if a program specifically calls it, like Windows Update.
>> Otherwise switch to one of these. I slightly prefer Maxthon over
>> Slimbrowser but they are both excellent.
>
> Hi Ed
>
> Thanks for the information. I am using Firefox and Thunderbird for now.
> Like them both but like to figure out the problems and so far I have hit
> the proverbial stone wall. Nothing I did worked and so far any
> suggestions also hit the same wall. Just bugs me I can't fix it and I
> have wasted a lot of time trying.
>
> Lee
!