networking questions

I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
greatly appreciated.
Marilyn
5 answers Last reply
More about networking questions

    "weowncaseih" <kuntzharvesting@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
    > coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
    > also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
    > perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
    > networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
    > others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
    > greatly appreciated.
    > Marilyn

    ======================

    Marilyn, no you do not need another router, your mini-network is already
    established. All you need is software to facilitate communication between
    the PC and your laptop. Something like PC Anywhere or Laplink. I don't know
    if MS's XP has anything to contribute in
    this area ... maybe a Windows whiz can comment.

    As far as the Printer goes, you can share one right now. You must install
    the Printer (drivers) on both machines and make sure that in Printer
    Properties [Control Panel/Printers and Faxes/Right click your
    Printer/Properties/Tab Share]] that "Share this Printer" is checked.. Rots
    of Ruck, Denzil.

    =========================

    Marilyn,

    The two computers are already "networked wirelessly." You will have to go
    to each computer and make whatever resources, i.e., subdirectories, you want
    to access as a shared resource. That includes the printer(s) that you have.
    The main computer, connected to the router by a wire, I assume, is the one
    with the printer(s) plugged into it. For the laptop to use a printer, the
    main computer will have to be turned on. However, if you purchase a
    wireless print server, either computer can accesss a printer without the
    main computer having to be on.

    Each computer will have to have a copy of the printer drivers because these
    are not kept on the print server, it being kind of a "dumb" device.

    I have had kind of so-so luck with wireless print servers, however. The
    print server I own has both parallel and USB ports in it. The old HP
    LaserJet 5L, boat anchor that it is, works just fine from any computer on
    the network, I have three, anywhere. The Canon S900, the USB printer, is
    another story, however. I have never figured out why that printer refuses
    to work on the server. I'm still plugging away at it, though.

    Anyway, you're already networked; just set up resources as shared and
    enjoy. You might also want to think about investing in a good firewall,
    Zone Alarm or Norton's Personal Firewall, for each of your computers since
    you'll be sharing resources esentially with the internet since you have
    cable.

    Turner

    "weowncaseih" <kuntzharvesting@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
    > coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
    > also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
    > perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
    > networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
    > others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
    > greatly appreciated.
    > Marilyn

    Open My Network Places and click 'set up a home or small office network'.
    Answer the questions it asks. Make sure you select which network connection
    you are using on each machine to access the internet. If you don't, it will
    bridge all the connections and cause problems. When it asks you for a
    workgroup name, change it to something other than MSHOME. Follow it through
    to the end. If both machines are XP, run the wizard on the other one and
    give it the same workgroup name. If one is XP and the other is a different
    version of windows, run the wizard on the xp machine first and have it make
    a setup disk that you can run on the other machine to set it up. Once that
    is all done, you should be able to see the shared documents on the other
    machine in My Network Places. You can right click on any folder or drive and
    select sharing and security to make it accessible to the other machine. You
    can also set up a printer share.

    "weowncaseih" <kuntzharvesting@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
    > coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
    > also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
    > perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
    > networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
    > others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
    > greatly appreciated.
    > Marilyn

    Thank you, one and all for getting me connected!

    If you're running a software firewall like Zone Alarm, sometimes the free
    versions don't support network sharing too well or at all. Sygate is one
    that totally supports network sharing and is free.
    If you install Sygate, there is a procedure that lets you tell the firewall
    to open itself up to other computers on your network.

    Ed

    > Thank you, one and all for getting me connected!

Gateway Networking Computers