networking questions

I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
greatly appreciated.
Marilyn

"weowncaseih" <kuntzharvesting@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
> coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
> also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
> perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
> networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
> others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
> greatly appreciated.
> Marilyn

======================

Marilyn, no you do not need another router, your mini-network is already
established. All you need is software to facilitate communication between
the PC and your laptop. Something like PC Anywhere or Laplink. I don't know
if MS's XP [I'm assuming you are running XP] has anything to contribute in
this area ... maybe a Windows whiz can comment.

As far as the Printer goes, you can share one right now. You must install
the Printer (drivers) on both machines and make sure that in Printer
Properties [Control Panel/Printers and Faxes/Right click your
Printer/Properties/Tab Share]] that "Share this Printer" is checked.. Rots
of Ruck, Denzil.

=========================

Marilyn,

The two computers are already "networked wirelessly." You will have to go
to each computer and make whatever resources, i.e., subdirectories, you want
to access as a shared resource. That includes the printer(s) that you have.
The main computer, connected to the router by a wire, I assume, is the one
with the printer(s) plugged into it. For the laptop to use a printer, the
main computer will have to be turned on. However, if you purchase a
wireless print server, either computer can accesss a printer without the
main computer having to be on.

Each computer will have to have a copy of the printer drivers because these
are not kept on the print server, it being kind of a "dumb" device.

I have had kind of so-so luck with wireless print servers, however. The
print server I own has both parallel and USB ports in it. The old HP
LaserJet 5L, boat anchor that it is, works just fine from any computer on
the network, I have three, anywhere. The Canon S900, the USB printer, is
another story, however. I have never figured out why that printer refuses
to work on the server. I'm still plugging away at it, though.

Anyway, you're already networked; just set up resources as shared and
enjoy. You might also want to think about investing in a good firewall,
Zone Alarm or Norton's Personal Firewall, for each of your computers since
you'll be sharing resources esentially with the internet since you have
cable.

Turner

"weowncaseih" <kuntzharvesting@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
> coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
> also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
> perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
> networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
> others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
> greatly appreciated.
> Marilyn

Open My Network Places and click 'set up a home or small office network'.
Answer the questions it asks. Make sure you select which network connection
you are using on each machine to access the internet. If you don't, it will
bridge all the connections and cause problems. When it asks you for a
workgroup name, change it to something other than MSHOME. Follow it through
to the end. If both machines are XP, run the wizard on the other one and
give it the same workgroup name. If one is XP and the other is a different
version of windows, run the wizard on the xp machine first and have it make
a setup disk that you can run on the other machine to set it up. Once that
is all done, you should be able to see the shared documents on the other
machine in My Network Places. You can right click on any folder or drive and
select sharing and security to make it accessible to the other machine. You
can also set up a printer share.

"weowncaseih" <kuntzharvesting@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway 700XL and have cable internet. I have the cable
> coming into a DLink 802.11g wireless router and going into my tower. I
> also have a Toshiba laptop with built in wireless and everything works
> perfectly, internet wise. I am wondering how I would go about
> networking the two machines wirelessly so I will be able to access each
> others files and a printer. Do I need another router or...? Any help is
> greatly appreciated.
> Marilyn

Thank you, one and all for getting me connected!

Ed

If you're running a software firewall like Zone Alarm, sometimes the free
versions don't support network sharing too well or at all. Sygate is one
that totally supports network sharing and is free.
If you install Sygate, there is a procedure that lets you tell the firewall
to open itself up to other computers on your network.

Ed