Asus 44.03 and 56.72 drivers for Nvidia Ti-4200

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have som strange problems with these drivers on XP :-(

I use the 44.03 driver from Asus (with the Asus tweaks) on Win98se
with no problems. I have selected "On by default" for "Vsync" and
games like HalfLife lock at 85Hz in 800x600 with no image tearing.

BUT when I installed 44.03 on WinXP to test the VSYNC does not lock.
FPS rate is 99 and image tearing is awful. Even if I select "On by
default" as on Win98se (the driver has the same setup). Why????

I tried installing Asus 56.72 drivers and there "Always On" for
"Vsync" made things work again, BUT this drivers version doesn't
remember the refresh rate I select for each resolution. If I select 75
for 1024x768 then I get 75 in 800x600 - or sometimes even just 60. I
can get by the problem my "overiding frequencies" for these resolution
(new control panel applet in 56.72), but should that be nessasary???

I'd really like continuing using the Asus tweaked 44.03 as that seems
to be the fastest for the Ti-4200 basen V8420 card I have, does anyone
know how to get passed the VSYNC problem (as it is only in the XP
version and not in the 98 I can't quite see what the problem is...) ?

Or is there a newer Asus 44.xx driver I can download somewhere ?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>BUT when I installed 44.03 on WinXP to test the VSYNC does not lock.
>FPS rate is 99 and image tearing is awful. Even if I select "On by
>default" as on Win98se (the driver has the same setup). Why????

I use the 44.03's on WinXP and have no trouble locking Vsync. I also use
Half-life with no tearing. I do lock the fps in Half-life to 85 which is my
refresh rate maybe that's why. I also use Reforce to set the refresh rates for
all the resolutions I use. Have you confirmed what the refresh rate actually is
while playing HL on WinXP? Maybe it's not 85 like you think. The next time you
play use your monitor controls to confirm that it is actually at 85. Most
monitors will display the refresh rate somewhere in the on screen display
settings.

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> all the resolutions I use. Have you confirmed what the refresh rate actually is
> while playing HL on WinXP? Maybe it's not 85 like you think. The next time you

With 44.03 the refreshrate is right. Have checked. With the 56.72 I
have to use "refreshrate override" (it just want remember else, might
be becuase I use 75 for 1024x768 and 85 for 800x600, but that worked
in Win98se). With 56.72 vsync is locked, as it is with 44.03 on Win98.
It's just with 44.03 on WinXP it doesn't lock :-(

But I found other nice stuff in 56.72 (like different AA settings for
different games) so I'll use that. Just a bit annoying with the
refresh rate always beeing set to 60 if I don't use the override
(keeps the refresh switch from 75 to 60 to 85 when staring a game,
making the monitor click-click-click, why did they change that?)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>(it just want remember else, might
>be becuase I use 75 for 1024x768 and 85 for 800x600, but that worked
>in Win98se)

That's a problem with WinXP. It likes to change the refresh rate. You should
give a program called refreshforce a a try. You can enter refresh rates for all
the different resolutions you use and it will remember them. You can get it
here.

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/download.html

>It's just with 44.03 on WinXP it doesn't lock :-(

I would stay with the 44.03 drivers for your 4200, and I would give
refreshforce a try. You could also lock the fps in half-life.

Open up the config.cfg file in half-life and look for this line below;

fps_max "85"

Make sure it is set to 85

Also make sure your running Half-Life in Opengl. You can set that in the game.

>But I found other nice stuff in 56.72 (like different AA settings for
>different games)

Try using a program called atuner with the 44.03 drivers. It makes it easy to
set the AA and AF video card settings for different games. It will
automatically start the game and change the settings for you.

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> That's a problem with WinXP. It likes to change the refresh rate. You should
> give a program called refreshforce a a try. You can enter refresh rates for all

The 56.72 driver can force the refresh rate itself, (has a support
service that fixes that), but its annoying because the refresh
switches to 60 in the process before it switches back to 85 :-(

In Win98 I could do this:

1) Switch to 800x600
2) Set refresh to 85
3) Switch to 1024x768
4) Set refresh to 75

When I started a game that used 800x600 refresh would set to 85.
But in WinXP it will set to 60 (seems like 60 is the default value).
It does not remember the refresh for each resolution (and they say
WinXP is so much better than 98, have only found trouble so far :)

Is there a way to set the default refresh WinXP will use to something
else that 60? A registry key or something (would like 75 as default,
then my monitor wouldn't "click" each time I switched resolution).

> I would stay with the 44.03 drivers for your 4200, and I would give
> refreshforce a try. You could also lock the fps in half-life.

But how do I enable VSYNC? I have tried "On by default" (and that
works on 44.03 in Win98), but it won't lock VSYNC in WinXP :-(
I have checked everything, right refresh, but not VSYNC lock :-(
(with the 56.72 set to "Always On" the VSYNC locks in WinXP too)

> fps_max "85"

That won't enable VSYNC, you will still get image tearing. It will use
a refresh near the screen refresh, yes, but not really VSYNC :)

I have used the "cl_showfps 1" to check the refresh, and even with a
"fps_max" of 99 it locks to 85 when VSYNC is "On by default" in 98, og
with the 56.72 drivers in XP - but for some reson not with 44.03 in XP

> Also make sure your running Half-Life in Opengl. You can set that in the game.

Of course :) To bad there is no command to force VSYNC in Half-Life

--

Lars-Erik Østerud skrev:

> Half the times I start Half-Life I get a FPS of 85 (as expected with
> refresh set to 85 and VSYNC locked). BUT the other 50% times I start I
> get a framerate of only 42/43 (half of 85). That never happend before

Seems like this is related to XP too, or the 56.72 driver.
Restored the settings from RefreshForce, problem is still there :-(

Tried the same in 98, and got 85 every time there :-(

So for some reason in 50% of the startups, HalfLife seems to think
that the refresh rate is half (42) instead of 85. Is this a 56.72
driver issue, or is it a WinXP issue, or a HalfLife issue :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>HalfLife seems to think
>that the refresh rate is half (42) instead of 85.

That's normal with Vsync enabled, if your card can not do a solid 85 it lowers
it to 42.

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> That's normal with Vsync enabled, if your card can not do a solid 85 it lowers
> it to 42.

The cards can nicly do 85, if I disable VSYNC it'll do 99 constant
(so it has lots of margin to do 85, it's in 800x600 too :)
It'll do 85 steady in 98 with MaxAA and Anistrophic filtering,
but now these are disabled too.

And this only happends in XP - never in Win98. Is there anyway round
this (is it WInXP that uses to much CPU at start, or the 56.72 drivers
that gives to less FPS at start, or something else, any ideas...)

If XP steals that much CPU and GPU power that my max framerate in
HalfLife drops from 99 (that max HL can display so it might be more)
to below 85, then XP is not really a good upgrade from Win98 :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>It'll do 85 steady in 98 with MaxAA and Anistrophic filtering,
>but now these are disabled too.

It sounds like a decrease in performance because of the OS. I don't think there
is much you can do about it., but the 44.03's or a version close to that work
the best with the 4200 IMO.

Trust me here. Switch to the 44.03's. Run refresh force, and use atuner which
you can get here;

http://www.3dcenter.org/atuner/index_e.php

You can set up AA and AF settings for each game using the 44.03 drivers. It is
easier to use then what is in newer Nvidia drivers. It is a small program that
runs in the tray. You just click on a game and it start the game and loads the
settings you have saved for each game.

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> Trust me here. Switch to the 44.03's. Run refresh force, and use atuner which
> you can get here;

But how do I get VSYNC to work then? I tried 44.03 and set "Vsync
Default ON" but I still didn't get VSYNC in Half-Life (and HL itself
has no commands for enabling VSYNC). That's why I use the 29.41
install on XP (the control panel and stuff from 29.41) and only the
drivers (ANVDISP.DLL and NVOPENGL.LRC) from the 44.03, that worked.

But I couldn't get the XP 29.41 drivers to work on my XP SP2.
Don't ask why, nothing appeared of settings, and only 16 colors.

--

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> Trust me here. Switch to the 44.03's. Run refresh force, and use atuner which
> you can get here;

OK, installed the Asus 44.03 drivers. Now I get 99 fps always and no
VSYNC (even if I select "On ny Default" in the display settings).

Any good ideas? I need the Asus version of the 44.03, if I install
the Nvidia 44.03 version I can't adjust gamma inside my games (and is
there any reason for the VSYNC to work with the Nvidia version ?)

Is there any other Asus versions besides 44.03 and 56.72 out there?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

OK, now I have tested all drivers I have for XP :-(

Asus 44.03: VSYNC does not work, Has OpenGL gamma adjustment

Nvidia 44.03: VSYNC works OK, No OpenGL gamma adjustment :-(

Asus 56.72: VSYNC works but with 1/2 FPS rate i 50% startups
Also have the nice OpenGL gamma adjustments.

So there seems to be a choice between three bad drivers :-(

1) Eihter I must play on a dark screen (no gamma adjust)
2) Or I must play without VSYNC (image tearing)
3) Or half the time at half frame-rate (with the 56.72 driver)

Is there a third-party tool that can set the OpenGL gamma
adjustment for games (not for desktop applications, only
for OpenGL and DirectX). The way the Asus tweaks does?

With such a tool I could use the Nvidia 44.03 drivers.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>But how do I get VSYNC to work then? I tried 44.03 and set "Vsync
>Default ON" but I still didn't get VSYNC in Half-Life (and HL itself
>has no commands for enabling VSYNC).

I explained that if your framerate drops to 42 with refresh rate of 85 playing
half-life then Vsync is enabled. You also set the maximum fps in the config.cfg
file for Half-life to 85.

I don't why you don't have the Vsync option with the 44.03 drivers I have it
for both Opengl and Direct3D. I do know the option for Vsync in Direct3D is not
enabled by default, you need to install coolbits to see the option.
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-31.shtml

I also don't think mixing different parts of drivers is a good idea, maybe
thats why your having so much trouble.

>Nvidia 44.03: VSYNC works OK, No OpenGL gamma adjustment :-(

Stay with only these drivers, and only use the full set of them don't mix any
other parts from other drivers with them.

>Is there a third-party tool that can set the OpenGL gamma
>adjustment for games (not for desktop applications, only
>for OpenGL and DirectX). The way the Asus tweaks does?

The only gamma controls I use are for 2D applications and the desktop, those
are in the control panel for the video card drivers 44.03.
I adjust the gamma for Half-Life inside the game why can't you do that also?

I'm sure there are some utilities to set the gamma for opengl, but why bother
when you can do that in the game?

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> I don't why you don't have the Vsync option with the 44.03 drivers I have it
> for both Opengl and Direct3D. I do know the option for Vsync in Direct3D is not

The VSYNC options is there. And it's working for all Nvidia drivers.
But the Nvidia drivers doesn't have a setting for adjusting the
brightness/gamma separate for OpenGL. The Asus-tweaked drivers has.
But the Asus drivers in the 4x.xx and 5x.xx series seems to have a bug
since setting VSYNC to "Default On" doesn't work (game still runs at
full FPS with image tearing). Must be a glitch when tweaking the
driver. But for me that means either VSYNC or brightness adjust, not
both at the same time. And I really need both (so for the time beeing
I'm curing the programmers at Asus for making this not work right).

The 56.72 driver from Asus seemed to have fixed the VSYNC problem, but
NO, here the 42 PFS problem happends (some times 85, sometimes 42).
The Nvidia drivers (not tweaked by Asus) have 85 stable all over (but
again, they lack the possibility to change OpenGL brightness/gamma).

Is there a separate utility (or registry hack) I can use to select
special brightness/gamma setting for OpenGL (to help me so I don't
have to go to "Display properties" and do this manually each time, I
use gamma 1.2 normally, but need to use 2.0 inside OpenGL games...)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>And it's working for all Nvidia drivers.
>But the Nvidia drivers doesn't have a setting for adjusting the
>brightness/gamma separate for OpenGL.

I am aware of that.

>Is there a separate utility (or registry hack) I can use to select
>special brightness/gamma setting for OpenGL (to help me so I don't
>have to go to "Display properties" and do this manually each time, I
>use gamma 1.2 normally, but need to use 2.0 inside OpenGL games...)

Atuner lets you change the gamma, but not for opengl. Powerstrip might change
the gamma in games but I am not sure.

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> are in the control panel for the video card drivers 44.03.
> I adjust the gamma for Half-Life inside the game why can't you do that also?

Not enough, even at MAX it's much to dark (same for other games).
Some games doesn't have these adjustments either :-(
I guess that why Asus tweaked the drivers and included this
(but carelessly enough wrecked the VSYNC part while doing it).

> I'm sure there are some utilities to set the gamma for opengl, but why bother
> when you can do that in the game?

As I said, not enough (my monitor is to dark probably)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>As I said, not enough (my monitor is to dark probably)

You can't adjust the brightness and contrast of the monitor to help with the
gamma in half-life?

If not I would say its time for a new monitor

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> Atuner lets you change the gamma, but not for opengl. Powerstrip might change
> the gamma in games but I am not sure.

If you change the mail gamma/brightness settings that will also affect
OpenGL. So what I really need is:

A small utility of som kind that will change the gamma when OpenGL
is launched, and change it back when OpenGL is unloaded again

I guess that IS what Asus has added with their tweak (and an OSD to
change it in mid-games as well), but that doesn't help when they
wrecked the VSYNC settings in the process :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

> A small utility of som kind that will change the gamma when OpenGL
> is launched, and change it back when OpenGL is unloaded again

I don't know about a small utility, but powerstrip might do that.

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> You can't adjust the brightness and contrast of the monitor to help with the
> gamma in half-life?

No, it's at max, besides, then my regular desktop get to bright (there
is something weird with the GeForce4 cards or drivers, the OpenGL
images are way to dark compared to the standard Windows desktop).

> If not I would say its time for a new monitor

tried a new one, but the difference is still there, if I adjust right
brightness in most games, then my Windows desktop gets too bright :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Never had any problems using the 44.03's and gamma with games on WinXP.

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> I don't know about a small utility, but powerstrip might do that.

I think I have that somewere, I'll test tomorrow (it's 3am here now).
Also found some "Omega" drivers that is recommended and will test.
Also contacted a nice support tech at Asus to hear their advice.

--

PRIVATE1964 skrev:

> Never had any problems using the 44.03's and gamma with games on WinXP.

You might have a better monitor than me :)
Or might like the games darker than me :)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

>You might have a better monitor than me :)
>Or might like the games darker than me :)

No it's a cheap monitor, and I don't like games too dark.

There is a setting in the config.cfg that will increase the gamma setting. You
could try changing this to 3. Using it to 3 will increase the gamma even more
then you can do in the game.

gamma "2.500000"

You could also try changing this to 1

gl_overbright "0"