6800 Ultra DVD playback observation

I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77 on
my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
slightly, but noticeable enough to spoil the viewing experience. 3.2 GHz
Prescott, 1GB RAM, running Driver Cleaner 3 every time I change. Games work
fine with the later drivers though, but I'll be sticking with 61.77. Could
this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not providing
motion compensation? Perhaps this is why the other drivers are still BETA?
Would be interesting to know whether it's just my system.

LK
16 answers Last reply
More about 6800 ultra playback observation

    "Lyrical Korma" <lyrical.korma@bogus.com> wrote in message
    > I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
    > on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
    > slightly, but noticeable enough to spoil the viewing experience. 3.2 GHz
    > Prescott, 1GB RAM, running Driver Cleaner 3 every time I change. Games
    > work fine with the later drivers though, but I'll be sticking with 61.77.
    > Could this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not
    > providing motion compensation? Perhaps this is why the other drivers are
    > still BETA? Would be interesting to know whether it's just my system.

    Can't say I have noticed a problem myself. With respect to your question
    "Could this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not
    providing motion compensation?" I would say no, it couldn't. Firstly the
    video processor does work - just not with HD WMV's, and secondly any
    choppyness with HD WMV's is caused by the CPU usage being too high. (6800's
    play HD DVD's perfectly smoothly if you can keep the CPU utlization away
    from the 100% mark.) Yet with your DVD playback CPU usage is probably only
    10% or less anyway.

    Chip

    LK,

    You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back HDTV
    wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49% utilisation on
    one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    "Lyrical Korma" <lyrical.korma@bogus.com> wrote in message
    > I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
    > on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
    > slightly, but noticeable enough to spoil the viewing experience. 3.2 GHz
    > Prescott, 1GB RAM, running Driver Cleaner 3 every time I change. Games
    > work fine with the later drivers though, but I'll be sticking with 61.77.
    > Could this be related to the buggy non-functional video processor not
    > providing motion compensation? Perhaps this is why the other drivers are
    > still BETA? Would be interesting to know whether it's just my system.
    >
    > LK

    > I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
    > on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only

    Upgrade your drivers . . .

    > LK,
    >
    > You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back HDTV
    > wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49% utilisation on
    > one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Pete

    Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
    problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
    for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.

    Chip

    > You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back
    > HDTV wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49%
    > utilisation on one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.

    With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
    really means "99% utilization".

    > Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
    > problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
    > for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.

    Fixed in newest drivers . . .

    "Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> wrote in message
    >> Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
    >> problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
    >> for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.
    >
    > Fixed in newest drivers . . .

    Yes, I know.

    But that wasn't my point. My point was that Pete thinks his hardware
    decoding is working when it isn't.

    Chip

    > With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
    > really means "99% utilization".

    For 1-threaded apps yes - not 2

    >> With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
    >> really means "99% utilization".
    >
    > For 1-threaded apps yes - not 2

    Yes, and Media Player is single threaded. So your statement is irrelevant.

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >> LK,
    >>
    >> You have a problem, my 2.8Gig Northwood using a 6800 plain plays back
    >> HDTV wmv's like "Step Into Liquid" absolutely perfectly with 49%
    >> utilisation on one h thread, 0% on other. 70.41 drivers.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Pete
    >
    > Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
    > problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly normal
    > for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It isn't.
    >
    > Chip

    Agree, but if his machine cannot play clips then he has a problem doesn't
    he.

    > "Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> wrote in message
    >>> Pete, ALL 6800's currently out in the market have the HD WMV decoding
    >>> problem. That includes yours. The symptoms you see are perfectly
    >>> normal for a P4 with HT. It doesn't mean your decoder is working: It
    >>> isn't.
    >>
    >> Fixed in newest drivers . . .
    >
    > Yes, I know.
    >
    > But that wasn't my point. My point was that Pete thinks his hardware
    > decoding is working when it isn't.
    >
    > Chip

    No thats not what I said, he should still be able to play wmv clips alright
    with a P4 and a 6800Ultra without the decoder working.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Fixed in newest drivers . . .
    >>
    >> Yes, I know.
    >>
    >> But that wasn't my point. My point was that Pete thinks his hardware
    >> decoding is working when it isn't.
    >>
    >> Chip
    >

    > No thats not what I said, he should still be able to play wmv clips
    > alright with a P4 and a 6800Ultra without the decoder working.

    My apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that the
    decoder is working in your box. Sorry.

    Chip
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >>> With a HT CPU, there are two virtual CPU's. 49% utilization like that
    >>> really means "99% utilization".
    >>
    >> For 1-threaded apps yes - not 2
    >
    > Yes, and Media Player is single threaded. So your statement is irrelevant.

    Just stating that HT is not useless - welcome to the discussion btw . . .
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Just stating that HT is not useless - welcome to the discussion btw .

    You're right, HT is great. I used to have a multip-CPU setup and miss it.
    HT adds a level of "multitasking goodness", allows multiple programs to run
    faster and gives a good boost to multi-threaded programs.

    I was just pointing out that it's easy to miss-read the CPU graph when
    trying to ascertain how much a single-threaded program is taxing your
    system. People see "49%" and think "Gee that CPU usage is low", when in
    reality, the single-threaded application is using the CPU as much as it
    possibly can.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than 61.77
    >> on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy, only
    >
    > Upgrade your drivers . . .

    What I was trying to explain was that I *did* upgrade the drivers and found
    they didn't work 100% properly for DVD playback. So I went back to 61.77,
    the current official nvidia driver, which does (on my system). The DVD
    decoding software is up to date (Power DVD).

    Also, one other thing I didn't mention is that WMP will not play DVDs at all
    well using this decoder with drivers later than 61.77 - it stutters like
    hell. Power DVD itself is much better but not smooth. But everything works
    fine with 61.77 - strange.

    LK.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've not seen smooth DVD playback with any nvidia driver later than
    >>> 61.77 on my 6800 ultra. Anyone else noticed this? It's slightly choppy,
    >>> only
    >>
    >> Upgrade your drivers . . .

    So I went back to 61.77, the current official nvidia driver, ....

    I notice 66.93 is up now, need to catch up , d'oh - about to test

Nvidia DVD Drivers Graphics