Notebook question

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

Hi

Whats the best one to buy? Best bang for the buck so to speak. It seems DELL
8600 is the way 2 go.

Cheers
Sharp

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an 8600 and am very happy with it. I would like to upgrade the video
though. It has the Nvidia 5200 GO with 32 meg or ram. Otherwise I'm very
happy with it. It's sturdy and the pentium m processor packs plenty of
power. I upgraded the DVD/CDRW on mine to a NEC 6500A dual layer DVD burner.
Also thinking of getting a bluetooth minicard for it. The sound it pretty
good as well. And you can exchange covers on it.

"Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Whats the best one to buy? Best bang for the buck so to speak. It seems
DELL
> 8600 is the way 2 go.
>
> Cheers
> Sharp

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

Hi

Did you purchase it online? if so, how long did it take them to deliver it
to your place?

How is the screen size? i thought maybe the 1280 x 800 res might make icons
and text smaller than the 1024 x 768 res??

Whats is the bluetooth for?

If I do purchase, i would like to upgrade it to 7200rpm hard drive and 128
ATI 9600 PRO

cheers
Sharp

"Greg" <gh@aw.com> wrote in message
> I have an 8600 and am very happy with it. I would like to upgrade the
video
> though. It has the Nvidia 5200 GO with 32 meg or ram. Otherwise I'm very
> happy with it. It's sturdy and the pentium m processor packs plenty of
> power. I upgraded the DVD/CDRW on mine to a NEC 6500A dual layer DVD
burner.
> Also thinking of getting a bluetooth minicard for it. The sound it pretty
> good as well. And you can exchange covers on it.
>

> "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Whats the best one to buy? Best bang for the buck so to speak. It seems
> DELL
> > 8600 is the way 2 go.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Sharp

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I got mine off of eBay last month. It was still in the sealed box. Never
opened. Has a one year warranty. Paid about 300 dollars less then if I had
bought it on Dells website. I just went to their site and transferred the
warranty to my name.

The screen on mine is the 1280x800. It comes in 2 higher resolutions. I'm
pretty happy with the screen resolution. It isn't so small that it strains
the eyes.

The Bluetooth is a method of communications like wireless 802.11. You can
use it to connect to your Bluetooth mouse, printer (with Bluetooth receiver
on it) a variety of cell phones for data sharing. It's kind of like infrared
on steroids. I was going to get the Bluetooth mincard for mine so I can use
a Bluetooth mouse. But I read somewhere that there might be interference
since the 802.11 b/g also broadcast on the same range of 2.4ghz. So I just
ordered a Microsoft mini wireless mouse with a USB receiver.

I would recommend upgrading to the 9600 card. Mine is the GeForce 32 Meg
5200 Go card. It runs games okay and desktop apps. But if you can afford it
then get the muscle card.

> Hi
>
> Did you purchase it online? if so, how long did it take them to deliver it
> to your place?
>
> How is the screen size? i thought maybe the 1280 x 800 res might make
icons
> and text smaller than the 1024 x 768 res??
>
> Whats is the bluetooth for?
>
> If I do purchase, i would like to upgrade it to 7200rpm hard drive and 128
> ATI 9600 PRO
>
> cheers
> Sharp
>

> "Greg" <gh@aw.com> wrote in message
> > I have an 8600 and am very happy with it. I would like to upgrade the
> video
> > though. It has the Nvidia 5200 GO with 32 meg or ram. Otherwise I'm very
> > happy with it. It's sturdy and the pentium m processor packs plenty of
> > power. I upgraded the DVD/CDRW on mine to a NEC 6500A dual layer DVD
> burner.
> > Also thinking of getting a bluetooth minicard for it. The sound it
pretty
> > good as well. And you can exchange covers on it.
> >

> > "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Whats the best one to buy? Best bang for the buck so to speak. It
seems
> > DELL
> > > 8600 is the way 2 go.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Sharp

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

Is the blue tooth integrated? or it works like a flash drive where you can
pull it in and out?

> I got mine off of eBay last month. It was still in the sealed box. Never
> opened. Has a one year warranty. Paid about 300 dollars less then if I had
> bought it on Dells website. I just went to their site and transferred the
> warranty to my name.
>
> The screen on mine is the 1280x800. It comes in 2 higher resolutions. I'm
> pretty happy with the screen resolution. It isn't so small that it strains
> the eyes.
>
> The Bluetooth is a method of communications like wireless 802.11. You can
> use it to connect to your Bluetooth mouse, printer (with Bluetooth
receiver
> on it) a variety of cell phones for data sharing. It's kind of like
infrared
> on steroids. I was going to get the Bluetooth mincard for mine so I can
use
> a Bluetooth mouse. But I read somewhere that there might be interference
> since the 802.11 b/g also broadcast on the same range of 2.4ghz. So I just
> ordered a Microsoft mini wireless mouse with a USB receiver.
>
> I would recommend upgrading to the 9600 card. Mine is the GeForce 32 Meg
> 5200 Go card. It runs games okay and desktop apps. But if you can afford
it
> then get the muscle card.
>
> "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Did you purchase it online? if so, how long did it take them to deliver
it
> > to your place?
> >
> > How is the screen size? i thought maybe the 1280 x 800 res might make
> icons
> > and text smaller than the 1024 x 768 res??
> >
> > Whats is the bluetooth for?
> >
> > If I do purchase, i would like to upgrade it to 7200rpm hard drive and
128
> > ATI 9600 PRO
> >
> > cheers
> > Sharp
> >

> > "Greg" <gh@aw.com> wrote in message
> > > I have an 8600 and am very happy with it. I would like to upgrade the
> > video
> > > though. It has the Nvidia 5200 GO with 32 meg or ram. Otherwise I'm
very
> > > happy with it. It's sturdy and the pentium m processor packs plenty of
> > > power. I upgraded the DVD/CDRW on mine to a NEC 6500A dual layer DVD
> > burner.
> > > Also thinking of getting a bluetooth minicard for it. The sound it
> pretty
> > > good as well. And you can exchange covers on it.
> > >

> > > "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message

> seems
> > > DELL

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can buy a Bluetooth and plug it into your USB port. Or you can buy an
internal one from Dell. It fits in the spot where your hard drive caddy
goes. Slides in a plugs into a port inside.

> Is the blue tooth integrated? or it works like a flash drive where you can
> pull it in and out?
>
> sharp
>
> "Greg" <gh@aw.com> wrote in message
> > I got mine off of eBay last month. It was still in the sealed box. Never
> > opened. Has a one year warranty. Paid about 300 dollars less then if I
had
> > bought it on Dells website. I just went to their site and transferred
the
> > warranty to my name.
> >
> > The screen on mine is the 1280x800. It comes in 2 higher resolutions.
I'm
> > pretty happy with the screen resolution. It isn't so small that it
strains
> > the eyes.
> >
> > The Bluetooth is a method of communications like wireless 802.11. You
can
> > use it to connect to your Bluetooth mouse, printer (with Bluetooth
> receiver
> > on it) a variety of cell phones for data sharing. It's kind of like
> infrared
> > on steroids. I was going to get the Bluetooth mincard for mine so I can
> use
> > a Bluetooth mouse. But I read somewhere that there might be interference
> > since the 802.11 b/g also broadcast on the same range of 2.4ghz. So I
just
> > ordered a Microsoft mini wireless mouse with a USB receiver.
> >
> > I would recommend upgrading to the 9600 card. Mine is the GeForce 32 Meg
> > 5200 Go card. It runs games okay and desktop apps. But if you can afford
> it
> > then get the muscle card.
> >
> > "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Did you purchase it online? if so, how long did it take them to
deliver
> it
> > > to your place?
> > >
> > > How is the screen size? i thought maybe the 1280 x 800 res might make
> > icons
> > > and text smaller than the 1024 x 768 res??
> > >
> > > Whats is the bluetooth for?
> > >
> > > If I do purchase, i would like to upgrade it to 7200rpm hard drive and
> 128
> > > ATI 9600 PRO
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > Sharp
> > >

> > > "Greg" <gh@aw.com> wrote in message
> > > video
> very
> > > burner.
> > pretty

> > seems

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Both. You can buy the integrated piece and install it yourself. It looks
pretty easy. Or you can get one that is like a flash drive. That is great if
you don't mind loosing a usb port. (which you would anyway if you were to
use an optical mouse with a usb plug)

TRENDING THREADS