66.93 driver problems anyone?

Hey everyone,

I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I
have a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work
fine, but the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are
run, and the system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've
downloaded a number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series
driver causes this problem. The 61.xx series drivers and lower all work
fine. I've changed a number of settings, all to no avail, such as image
quality, anti-aliasing, anioscopic, etc. Anyone else have problems with
these drivers on Ti cards or otherwise? I would post the rest of my
system specs, but it doesn't matter since I can take the Ti4600 out of
this machine and replace it with a 6800 ultra and this card runs fine,
which leads me to believe that I've isolated the problem and can
conclude that it is a driver problem. If anyone has similar experiences
with these drivers on Ti cards, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Yes,
No more Gamma Correction for Overlay Video :-(.
NVDVD Encoder still doesn't work in Mediaplayer? No DVD Picture!

Dirk Pajonk wrote:
> Yes,
> No more Gamma Correction for Overlay Video :-(.
> NVDVD Encoder still doesn't work in Mediaplayer? No DVD Picture!
>
> "DamianJackson" <DamianJackson@compuserve.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Hey everyone,
>>
>>I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
>>noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I have
>>a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work fine, but
>>the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are run, and the
>>system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've downloaded a
>>number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series driver causes this
>>problem. The 61.xx series drivers and lower all work fine. I've changed
>>a number of settings, all to no avail, such as image quality,
>>anti-aliasing, anioscopic, etc. Anyone else have problems with these
>>drivers on Ti cards or otherwise? I would post the rest of my system
>>specs, but it doesn't matter since I can take the Ti4600 out of this
>>machine and replace it with a 6800 ultra and this card runs fine, which
>>leads me to believe that I've isolated the problem and can conclude that
>>it is a driver problem. If anyone has similar experiences with these
>>drivers on Ti cards, I'd appreciate any feedback.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I wish those were my only problems with these
drivers :).

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:58:14 GMT, DamianJackson
<DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Hey everyone,
>
>I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
>noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I
>have a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work
>fine, but the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are
>run, and the system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've
>downloaded a number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series
>driver causes this problem.

Er... any time that you have been playing with beta drivers, you
should use Driver Cleaner (or a clean OS re-install) before updating
to an official release. There in zero guarantee with beta drivers that
undesirable dregs are not still present following a subsequent
update.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:58:14 GMT, DamianJackson
> <DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote:
>

>>Hey everyone,
>>
>>I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
>>noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I
>>have a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work
>>fine, but the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are
>>run, and the system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've
>>downloaded a number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series
>>driver causes this problem.
>

> Er... any time that you have been playing with beta drivers, you
> should use Driver Cleaner (or a clean OS re-install) before updating
> to an official release. There in zero guarantee with beta drivers that
> undesirable dregs are not still present following a subsequent
> update.

Er... I used driver cleaner to remove all previous drivers. I don't
know about any "undesirable dregs" either since the drivers I have used
are not beta drivers. The drivers were written by Nvidia and supplied
to hardware manufacturers. So when you talk about zero guarantees I
don't think that applies to my situation. There are beta drivers out
there for sure, but I haven't installed those. Also, there's NO WAY I
would resort to an OS reinstall to solve a driver problem since that
would be overkill in any situation involving drivers.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Dirk Pajonk" <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
> Yes,
> No more Gamma Correction for Overlay Video :-(.
> NVDVD Encoder still doesn't work in Mediaplayer? No DVD Picture!

I have no such problems. Works perfectly for me. (with 66.91)

BTW, I have seen others with the problems you describe using 66.81 and I
think other drivers too. Its not simply a driver issue I think.

Chip

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:18:29 GMT, DamianJackson
<DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:58:14 GMT, DamianJackson
>> <DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hey everyone,
>>>
>>>I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
>>>noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I
>>>have a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work
>>>fine, but the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are
>>>run, and the system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've
>>>downloaded a number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series
>>>driver causes this problem.
>>

>> Er... any time that you have been playing with beta drivers, you
>> should use Driver Cleaner (or a clean OS re-install) before updating
>> to an official release. There in zero guarantee with beta drivers that
>> undesirable dregs are not still present following a subsequent
>> update.
>>
>Er... I used driver cleaner to remove all previous drivers. I don't
>know about any "undesirable dregs" either since the drivers I have used
>are not beta drivers. The drivers were written by Nvidia and supplied
>to hardware manufacturers. So when you talk about zero guarantees I
>don't think that applies to my situation. There are beta drivers out
>there for sure, but I haven't installed those. Also, there's NO WAY I
>would resort to an OS reinstall to solve a driver problem since that
>would be overkill in any situation involving drivers.

Thanks for the clarification. I have not tried 66.93 on my GF4400 yet,

so ( since I am a wimp ) I shall hold off till others with Ti 4xxx
cards respond on this subject.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:18:29 GMT, DamianJackson
> <DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:

>>>Er... any time that you have been playing with beta drivers, you
>>>should use Driver Cleaner (or a clean OS re-install) before updating
>>>to an official release. There in zero guarantee with beta drivers that
>>>undesirable dregs are not still present following a subsequent
>>>update.
>>>

>>Er... I used driver cleaner to remove all previous drivers. I don't
>>know about any "undesirable dregs" either since the drivers I have used
>>are not beta drivers. The drivers were written by Nvidia and supplied
>>to hardware manufacturers. So when you talk about zero guarantees I
>>don't think that applies to my situation. There are beta drivers out
>>there for sure, but I haven't installed those. Also, there's NO WAY I
>>would resort to an OS reinstall to solve a driver problem since that
>>would be overkill in any situation involving drivers.
>

> Thanks for the clarification. I have not tried 66.93 on my GF4400 yet,
>
> so ( since I am a wimp ) I shall hold off till others with Ti 4xxx
> cards respond on this subject.
>
> John Lewis

I've been messing around with this some more, including installation on
one of my PCs with a formatted drive, which you obviously can compare to
a full system reinstall, and have still noted the same problems. I've
also noticed that this crashing behavior happens in direct3d software
while opengl runs fine. I thought the problem might include opengl but
I'm not so sure now. For example, I can run the latest Doomsday release
in opengl without problems with the 66.xx drivers, but if I select
directx8 for the renderer then the game displays severe redraw problems,
like graphic smearing which is so bad that the game is unplayable.
Games such as RTW, BF194, BFvietnam and morrowind all cause immediate
system crashes and reboots with the 66.xx drivers. I think I've seen
people describe this as the "infinite loop" before? I get a BSOD
complete with a spontaneous system reboot and the nv4_disp.dll error.
As far as trying it with your 4400 I wouldn't really worry since you can
always uninstall them without problems. I'm running 61.77 now on the
Ti4600 card and the problems caused by the 66xx drivers are nonexistent.
I just thought it was interesting that I've had no problems with any
other drivers ever, except 66.xx, and I've also seen *no* reports of
anyone else having problems similar to mine with these drivers.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Geforce 4 ti 4600 with the 66.93 drivers and i have no problems, I
was playing Doom 3 for a couple of hours with no problems what so ever, i
do not overclock and i dont use beta drivers.

"DamianJackson" <DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
> noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I have
> a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work fine, but
> the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are run, and the
> system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've downloaded a
> number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series driver causes this
> problem. The 61.xx series drivers and lower all work fine. I've changed
> a number of settings, all to no avail, such as image quality,
> anti-aliasing, anioscopic, etc. Anyone else have problems with these
> drivers on Ti cards or otherwise? I would post the rest of my system
> specs, but it doesn't matter since I can take the Ti4600 out of this
> machine and replace it with a 6800 ultra and this card runs fine, which
> leads me to believe that I've isolated the problem and can conclude that
> it is a driver problem. If anyone has similar experiences with these
> drivers on Ti cards, I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> Thanks in advance.

"DamianJackson" <DamianJackson@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just downloaded the 66.93 drivers from the Nvidia website and I've
> noticed that they cause all kinds of problems with my Ti4600 card. I have
> a couple other systems running 6800 cards and these seem to work fine, but
> the 4600 card crashes whenever Direct3d or OpenGL games are run, and the
> system gets a BSOD, followed by a reboot. In fact, I've downloaded a
> number of beta drivers from guru3d and any 66.xx series driver causes this
> problem. The 61.xx series drivers and lower all work fine. I've changed
> a number of settings, all to no avail, such as image quality,
> anti-aliasing, anioscopic, etc. Anyone else have problems with these
> drivers on Ti cards or otherwise? I would post the rest of my system
> specs, but it doesn't matter since I can take the Ti4600 out of this
> machine and replace it with a 6800 ultra and this card runs fine, which
> leads me to believe that I've isolated the problem and can conclude that
> it is a driver problem. If anyone has similar experiences with these
> drivers on Ti cards, I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes, I have an NVIDIA GeForce Ti4600, Athlon XP 2000+ system with 512MB and
all my 3D games are unplayable :(. The problem started around the end of
last year when I was playing American McGee's Alice. The games simply
freeze intermitently for about 20 to 30 seconds then continue normally for a
random time between about ½ a second and a minute then freeze again. The
strange thing is that if the freeze lasts for more than about 35 seconds the
system reboots with an error. Even the small NVIDIA werewolf demo freezes
it's ridiculous. Dxdiag passes all the tests.

During the freeze, sound continues normally and the mouse pointer still
moves but nothing else does.

Yes I have been through ALL the drivers right up to 6.6.9.3. and they are
all the same. This happened pre SP2 and post SP2. Yes I have even done a
complete Windows XP reinstall with all the updates. The game is the first
thing I put onto the system and the freezing problem is still there. I have
also tried tweaking settings in the BIOS. NOTHING FIXES IT.

Doing a google search there are a few people with the same problem but there
is not a single fix suggested that works, ranging from updating/backdating
the drivers to opening up the tower for extra cooling.

:(( Gaz.

> Doing a google search there are a few people with the same problem but there
> is not a single fix suggested that works, ranging from updating/backdating
> the drivers to opening up the tower for extra cooling.

Are you sure your video card fan is actually spinning? I've seen far
too many GPU fans fail, and it never causes problems in 2D mode, only in 3D.

"Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.net> wrote in message
>> Doing a google search there are a few people with the same problem but
>> there is not a single fix suggested that works, ranging from
>> updating/backdating the drivers to opening up the tower for extra
>> cooling.
>
> Are you sure your video card fan is actually spinning? I've seen far too
> many GPU fans fail, and it never causes problems in 2D mode, only in 3D.

Thank you very much Lachoneus. No my video card fan is not spinning, I
geuss therein lies the problem.

Gaz

"Gaz" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:cndte9$27i$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> "Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.net> wrote in message
>>> Doing a google search there are a few people with the same problem but
>>> there is not a single fix suggested that works, ranging from
>>> updating/backdating the drivers to opening up the tower for extra
>>> cooling.
>>
>> Are you sure your video card fan is actually spinning? I've seen far too
>> many GPU fans fail, and it never causes problems in 2D mode, only in 3D.
>
> Thank you very much Lachoneus. No my video card fan is not spinning, I
> geuss therein lies the problem.
>
> Gaz

Just bought and fitted a new fan for £12.99 from Maplin Electronics down the
road and my 3D games no longer freeze :).

Thanks again, Gaz.