How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1..

How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from
Gateway?

The system disk on my Gateway 700S died and I need to install
Windows XP Professional onto a blank hard drive.

The system came with an OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 CD that
came and was never used.

The system is still under warranty for parts and labor.

I found out that the CD was defective
when I tried to use it. Gateway tells me they can't send me
a replacement CD. They won't even sell me one. The say I
had to tell them within 15 days of delivery of the system. They
also said that any of the ways that I had to check the disk would
have voided the warranty on the entire system, so there was no
way I could have found out the disk was defective unless the
system died within the first 15 days.

All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
know what they are talking about.

I had a similar thing happen with my 700XL. I didn't even think about using
the Gateway-supplied "Recovery Disk" or whatever they call that thing.
"System Disk" maybe. I just shelled out the bucks for Win XP Pro (the
system originally came with XP Home), and NOT the bloomin' "Upgrade"
abortion, either, but the full-up, start from a squeaky clean HD,
CD-bootable version. Yeah, before you yell at me, I know it cost extra
bucks, but I don't have any troubles about putting my system back together
again should I have to.

Good luck,

Turner

"Mark Fineman" <mark.s.fineman@verizon.net> wrote in message

> All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
> Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
> that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
> know what they are talking about.

Yes, welcome to Gateway country. Trouble? OK, go away!

Owned 6 Gateways. Never will again though.

The retail version will work just fine. Microsoft permits OEMs to
replace media only for a short period of time after shipment.

You will need to buy a new copy of XP - alternatively, find another
Gateway owner, and make a copy of their CD - you can use the product key
on your system itself if you need to (it will work with another OEM
Gateway CD, but it will not work with a retail XP CD).

Mark Fineman wrote:
> How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from
> Gateway?

> All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
> Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
> that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
> know what they are talking about.

The upgrade versions of Windows XP are EXACTLY the same as the full versions
except they look for a previous version of windows when installing. They are
even bootable. You can use them to install to an empty hard drive, all you
need handy is any previous version of windows from 95 on up. The installer
will ask for proof of a previous version. You stick in the old OS disc, it
reads it for a few seconds to verify and then the install proceeds. Also,
the Gateway Windows XP disc is pretty much exactly like the retail version,
except it does not need to be activated when installed on a Gateway machine,
the install is tied to the Gateway BIOS. It is a standalone copy of XP. The
Gateway customizations are located on the Drivers and Applications discs.

"Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I had a similar thing happen with my 700XL. I didn't even think about
>using the Gateway-supplied "Recovery Disk" or whatever they call that
>thing. "System Disk" maybe. I just shelled out the bucks for Win XP Pro
>(the system originally came with XP Home), and NOT the bloomin' "Upgrade"
>abortion, either, but the full-up, start from a squeaky clean HD,
>CD-bootable version. Yeah, before you yell at me, I know it cost extra
>bucks, but I don't have any troubles about putting my system back together
>again should I have to.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Turner

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

If you want to blame somebody, blame Microsoft. They make all the vendors
sign licensing agreements, and are not allowed to replace operating system
cd's after 15 days. Even if the tech tried to replace the cd it would never
make it past order entry.

"Mark Fineman" <mark.s.fineman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from
> Gateway?
>
> The system disk on my Gateway 700S died and I need to install
> Windows XP Professional onto a blank hard drive.
>
> The system came with an OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 CD that
> came and was never used.
>
> The system is still under warranty for parts and labor.
>
> I found out that the CD was defective
> when I tried to use it. Gateway tells me they can't send me
> a replacement CD. They won't even sell me one. The say I
> had to tell them within 15 days of delivery of the system. They
> also said that any of the ways that I had to check the disk would
> have voided the warranty on the entire system, so there was no
> way I could have found out the disk was defective unless the
> system died within the first 15 days.
>
> All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
> Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
> that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
> know what they are talking about.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Although I'm sure you've must have had this system for a couple of years or
more, but I'll throw this in anyway.
When I did Gateway tech support (about 3+ years ago), the standing rule was
30 days for missing software and 90 days for defective media. So I don't
know what happened in the last three years, but it wouldn't have helped in
your case anyway. I do believe Gateway is locked into this way of doing
thing because of its agreement with Microsoft. Like the guy said, if anyone
other than yourself is to blame, it would be Microsoft.

A good way of testing the media that when you first get your computer is to
COPY the entire contents a disk to a folder on your HD. You can delete the
folder when your done, if you like. If there are no problems copying the
files, you can be reasonably certain that the disk is good. Then burn a copy
of the disk and stash the original in a safe place. Use the Burned copy for
routine installations.

As for what you can do now, I just looked on EBAY, and there are quite a few
full retail versions of XP Pro with unused/unactivated CD keys available for
less than $100, some as low as $50.

Source?
The OEMs have options also.
Do not blame everything on Microsoft, sometime it is simply the OEM saving
money.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Don" <donr503@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you want to blame somebody, blame Microsoft. They make all the vendors
> sign licensing agreements, and are not allowed to replace operating system
> cd's after 15 days. Even if the tech tried to replace the cd it would
> never make it past order entry.
>

> "Mark Fineman" <mark.s.fineman@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from
>> Gateway?
>>
>> The system disk on my Gateway 700S died and I need to install
>> Windows XP Professional onto a blank hard drive.
>>
>> The system came with an OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 CD that
>> came and was never used.
>>
>> The system is still under warranty for parts and labor.
>>
>> I found out that the CD was defective
>> when I tried to use it. Gateway tells me they can't send me
>> a replacement CD. They won't even sell me one. The say I
>> had to tell them within 15 days of delivery of the system. They
>> also said that any of the ways that I had to check the disk would
>> have voided the warranty on the entire system, so there was no
>> way I could have found out the disk was defective unless the
>> system died within the first 15 days.
>>
>> All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
>> Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
>> that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
>> know what they are talking about.

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

Mark;
Gateway has about a 1256 day time frame where you can get the CD for free.
After that you can get the CD for shipping & handling, typically $25.
However once the CDs are gone, the second option is gone because Gateway
does not continue to make older CDs.
Since SP-2 is out, the SP-1 may now be unavailable.

Sometimes they are available on Ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/gateway_Windows_W0QQcatrefZC3QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfposZQ5AIPQ2fPostalQQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ41882QQsadisZ200QQsbrftogZ1QQsocdpfcatZ41882QQsofocusZbs

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Mark Fineman" <mark.s.fineman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from
> Gateway?
>
> The system disk on my Gateway 700S died and I need to install
> Windows XP Professional onto a blank hard drive.
>
> The system came with an OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 CD that
> came and was never used.
>
> The system is still under warranty for parts and labor.
>
> I found out that the CD was defective
> when I tried to use it. Gateway tells me they can't send me
> a replacement CD. They won't even sell me one. The say I
> had to tell them within 15 days of delivery of the system. They
> also said that any of the ways that I had to check the disk would
> have voided the warranty on the entire system, so there was no
> way I could have found out the disk was defective unless the
> system died within the first 15 days.
>
> All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
> Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
> that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
> know what they are talking about.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:33:16 -0600, "pengulin" <apes@nd.edu> wrote:

>If there are no problems copying the
>files, you can be reasonably certain that the disk is good. Then burn a copy
>of the disk and stash the original in a safe place. Use the Burned copy for
>routine installations.

Great suggestion. I have been doing that since the days when programs
came on 5 1/4 flops.

I have a lock box at the local bank where all my originals are stored.
At the office and home, I have all the copies. All the originals have
been used but one time, when they were copied.

Only once have I had a CD or DVD come damaged out of the box and it
was a copy of Windoze BTW (back in the 98SE days). Found this out
when making the first backup copy. Took it back to Orifice Depot
within two hours of buying it there and they said they didn't take
returns on opened software. So... I told them that if that was the
case, I would put a stop on the credit card payment and keep the
damaged disk so they couldn't get their replacement. Funny how quick
their policy changed and a replacement was put in my hands.....

Regards,