whats up with the unified driver?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

i had a geforce2 mx i just replaced with a 6800 (non GT). I went to install
the unified driver and after the installshield part with the boxes showing
you percentage complete hit
100%, the install screen just vanished and that was the end of that. i
ended up using the CD that came with the card which i'm sure is not the
latest driver.

the i installed the geforce2 mx in my wife's machine and used the unified
driver (downloaded again, not the same copy as i used before) and the same
thing happened. i ended up using
the old leadtek winfast cd that came with the card.

Might help to uninstall the old driver first, reboot, install the new one to
the end, reboot, and see what you've got.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:2UOkd.744$lY1.520@trndny04...
>i downloaded 6.6.8.1 under the beta section and that installed fine.

Great.

I guess you uninstalled the old drivers from Add or Remove Programs?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

no, i just installed this right over the old one.

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:V9Qkd.2300$uT1.1512@trndny03...
> no, i just installed this right over the old one.
>
> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>i downloaded 6.6.8.1 under the beta section and that installed fine.
>>
>> Great.
>>
>> I guess you uninstalled the old drivers from Add or Remove Programs?

Nvidia says to uninstall first, and of course it's best to reboot at each
change. Then you wind up on that standard vga again.

But Nvidia doesn't make it obvious unless you look for their instructions.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> no, i just installed this right over the old one.
>>
>> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Great.
>>>
>>> I guess you uninstalled the old drivers from Add or Remove Programs?
>
> Nvidia says to uninstall first, and of course it's best to reboot at each
> change. Then you wind up on that standard vga again.
>
> But Nvidia doesn't make it obvious unless you look for their instructions.
>
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

ok ill keep that in mind, though it still doesnt explain the problems i was
having (both times i was on the standard vga driver). appears just to be an
issue
with that one particular package (the latest WHQL certified one).

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Maybe you got a corrupted download.

DaveL

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote
> ok ill keep that in mind, though it still doesnt explain the problems i
> was having (both times i was on the standard vga driver). appears just to
> be an issue
> with that one particular package (the latest WHQL certified one).

Yes, it could be.
But I guess it went to standard vga upon meeting the new card? If so, the
old drivers were still there and maybe the new ones didn't mix with them.
BUT... maybe it's as you think.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

covered that one above. i downloaded it twice. besides a corrupted
download wouldn't take me
halfway through the install process then die. the only corruption that
would cause that would be a file
internal to the installshield package being corrupt and that would be
something nvidia would have had
to have screwed up on their end.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Maybe you got a corrupted download.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> > Nvidia says to uninstall first, and of course it's best to reboot at
> each
>> > change. Then you wind up on that standard vga again.
>> >
>> > But Nvidia doesn't make it obvious unless you look for their
> instructions.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ed Light
>> >
>> > Smiley :-/
>> > MS Smiley :-\
>> >
>> > Send spam to the FTC at
>> > uce@ftc.gov
>> > Thanks, robots.
>> >

>> ok ill keep that in mind, though it still doesnt explain the problems i
> was
>> having (both times i was on the standard vga driver). appears just to be
> an
>> issue
>> with that one particular package (the latest WHQL certified one).

> Nvidia says to uninstall first, and of course it's best to reboot at each
> change. Then you wind up on that standard vga again.
>
> But Nvidia doesn't make it obvious unless you look for their instructions.

Where did this information come from? The only instructions I've EVER seen
from Nvidia for installing drivers do NOT say to uninstall the old ones
first. The official Nvidia readme from the latest release (and for numerous
other releases) says nothing about uninstalling. Rather, their instructions
say to install right over the old ones. Here is a quote from the 66.93
readme from Nvidia:

Installation instructions
-------------------------
1. These drivers must be installed by a user with Windows 2000/XP
Administrator
privileges. Please consult your system administrator or Microsoft
Windows 2000/XP User's Manual for more information on Administrator
privileges.

2. Start Microsoft Windows 2000/XP.

3. From the Start menu, select Settings.

4. Select Control Panel.

5. Select System.

6. Select Device Manager.

7. Under Display adapters, select the name of the NVIDIA adapter you have
installed. If you do not see a Display adapters option, or if your
NVIDIA
adapter is not listed, under Other Devices, select Video Controller (VGA
Compatible).

8. Select the Driver tab.

9. Select Update Driver.

10. Select Next.

11. Select Next.

12. Verify that "Specify a location" has a check mark next to it. If it
does
not, click in the box next to "Specify a location" to place a check
mark
in the box. Select Next.

13. Enter the path to the NVIDIA drivers in the "Copy manufacturer's files
from:" dialog. Select OK.

14. If you get a dialog box that states "A suitable driver for this device
is already installed.", click in the box next to "Install one of the
other drivers" to place a check mark in the box, then select Next.

Otherwise, select Next, then proceed to step 16.

15. Select the following driver from the list. NVIDIA RIVA TNT is used an
example; make sure to select your NVIDIA adapter from the list.

Description Provider Manufacturer Location
----------- -------- ------------ --------
NVIDIA RIVA TNT NVIDIA NVIDIA a:\nv4_disp.inf

Select Next.

16. Select Finish.

17. Select Close.

"Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Thanks. I've heard of people make reference to this, but I've never been
able to find it. One problem I've found with uninstalling first is the fact
that when windows restarts, it automatically installs the previous drivers.
I've run into situations where I was actually unable to stop this from
happening. How can you prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Larry

"Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I've heard of people make reference to this, but I've never been
> able to find it. One problem I've found with uninstalling first is the
> fact
> that when windows restarts, it automatically installs the previous
> drivers.
> I've run into situations where I was actually unable to stop this from
> happening. How can you prevent this from happening?

Phew, I'm glad it hasn't done that to me.
Did you find that those drivers were installed by checking the version
number, or just their appearance? Were they the ones Windows installed when
you installed Windows? Maybe it would go back to those. XP sp2 clean
installed some nvidia drivers for me, if I remember right. Windows update
offers to replace my new ones with some old ones -- wow, cool!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\