Internal Brightness/gamma settings in Half-Life Steam not ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2004 2:24:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I can get the brightness / gamma controls in Half-Life Steam working.
There is no difference when I drag them left or right or edit the
cfg-file, and unlike non-steam, if you enter a value above 3 in the
cfg-file it's changes back to 3, if you set the gamme slider below 1.8
it's also set back to middle (1.8). Why is this not working (have
tried both OpenGL and Software - brightness does NEVER change here).

(Using Nvidia 44.03 reference drivers, but that shouldn't affect the
internal brightness/gamma sliders in HL, it never did before anyway)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

McGrandpa skrev:

> Set the brightness up in the Nvidia control panel before launching the
> game. Yes, your desktop will be very bright. But the game will be

Grrr... Why can't Nvidia include separate OpenGL gamma (as Asus does
in their tweaked drivers) as standard. Would prevent lots of extra
work for lots of people (adjusting each time is annoying :-)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
November 12, 2004 4:50:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...

> I can get the brightness / gamma controls in Half-Life Steam working.
> There is no difference when I drag them left or right or edit the
> cfg-file, and unlike non-steam, if you enter a value above 3 in the
> cfg-file it's changes back to 3, if you set the gamme slider below 1.8
> it's also set back to middle (1.8). Why is this not working (have
> tried both OpenGL and Software - brightness does NEVER change here).
>
> (Using Nvidia 44.03 reference drivers, but that shouldn't affect the
> internal brightness/gamma sliders in HL, it never did before anyway)

You might want to try using a third party app like powerstrip.

--
AGHL Newsgroup and IRC FAQ: www.stri.tk

"By the powers invested in my by news international I
pronounce you GUILTY! - of paedophilia!"
"Guilty?! but there was no trial!"
"Under the basic principals of English law every man is
innocent until speculated guilty!"
November 12, 2004 5:55:41 PM

Strider skrev:

> You might want to try using a third party app like powerstrip.

Can that do it automaticly? Allready have a bunch of launcher apps,
but none come close to the Asus tweaks where you can adjust and store
the gamma settings and they will be automaticly applied when the game
is started (when OpenGL is launched). D**n, it's annoying that Asus
had to mess ut the VSYNC lock options in theit tweaked drivers :-/

I'll try downloading Powerstrip just to see anyway.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:03:17 PM

Strider skrev:

> You might want to try using a third party app like powerstrip.

Look OK (just read the web-page), but has much more than I need, and
it's expensive (for something that should be in the driver :-)

Do you know if there are cheaper or freeware programs that can monitor
program launches and apply gamma settings at start other places?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
November 12, 2004 6:03:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...

> Do you know if there are cheaper or freeware programs that can monitor
> program launches and apply gamma settings at start other places?

No, the closest as I said was powerstrip. You can create a custom config
so when you want to go play it will up the gamma and brightness to
settings which you find most enjoyable.

--
AGHL Newsgroup and IRC FAQ: www.stri.tk

"By the powers invested in my by news international I
pronounce you GUILTY! - of paedophilia!"
"Guilty?! but there was no trial!"
"Under the basic principals of English law every man is
innocent until speculated guilty!"
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:18:41 PM

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> Strider skrev:
>
>> You might want to try using a third party app like powerstrip.
>
> Can that do it automaticly? Allready have a bunch of launcher apps,
> but none come close to the Asus tweaks where you can adjust and store
> the gamma settings and they will be automaticly applied when the game
> is started (when OpenGL is launched). D**n, it's annoying that Asus
> had to mess ut the VSYNC lock options in theit tweaked drivers :-/
>
> I'll try downloading Powerstrip just to see anyway.

did you try the Omega driver sets I mentioned? I believe they also
allow you to create configs for specific apps within the driver.
McG.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:34:58 PM

Strider skrev:

> No, the closest as I said was powerstrip. You can create a custom config
> so when you want to go play it will up the gamma and brightness to
> settings which you find most enjoyable.

Worked great. But what I couldn't do was controlling the AA settings.
You can force them on in PowerStrip, but not force them of (I normally
use 2xS AA (middle setting) but for one games I'd like them off). The
settings are not accurate enoght (only "Force" or "not force").

The gamma part worked nicly. So I'll just test it for a while.

Mabybe togheter with the newest Nvidia drivers (they have profiles for
game setting - for everything except gamma/brightness that is :-)))))

PowerStrip has "force vsync" as well so I might use the Asus drivers
too (as the only fault in them is that "vsync" is not enabled :-)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
November 12, 2004 7:34:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...

> Worked great. But what I couldn't do was controlling the AA settings.
> You can force them on in PowerStrip, but not force them of (I normally
> use 2xS AA (middle setting) but for one games I'd like them off). The
> settings are not accurate enoght (only "Force" or "not force").

Windows and the game application itself should override those settings.

--
AGHL Newsgroup and IRC FAQ: www.stri.tk

"By the powers invested in my by news international I
pronounce you GUILTY! - of paedophilia!"
"Guilty?! but there was no trial!"
"Under the basic principals of English law every man is
innocent until speculated guilty!"
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:40:36 PM

McGrandpa skrev:

> did you try the Omega driver sets I mentioned? I believe they also
> allow you to create configs for specific apps within the driver.

Didn't find that in 44.03 version anyway.
Does that include gamma settings as well?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:40:37 PM

> McGrandpa skrev:
>
>> did you try the Omega driver sets I mentioned? I believe they also
>> allow you to create configs for specific apps within the driver.
>
> Didn't find that in 44.03 version anyway.
> Does that include gamma settings as well?

Actually I thought all the more recent ones do. Not having problems
with the 61.77 Nvidia set right now tho. Other than HL game gamma not
working in the game, have to set it via the desktop.
McG.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 10:06:20 PM

Strider skrev:

> You might want to try using a third party app like powerstrip.

Found another problem, after installing PowerStrip, the refresh rate
settings fixed with RefreshForce doesn't work anymore (I can set all
refresh rates there, but they donæt work - get the standard 60hz).

Can override with PowerStrip but didn't need that before. And if I
override there I get the same effect as if I override in the Nvidia
drivers (switches to 60 first, then to 85, making my CRT click as
crazy :-)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
November 13, 2004 4:19:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud proclaimed...

> Found another problem, after installing PowerStrip, the refresh rate
> settings fixed with RefreshForce doesn't work anymore (I can set all
> refresh rates there, but they donæt work - get the standard 60hz).
>
> Can override with PowerStrip but didn't need that before. And if I
> override there I get the same effect as if I override in the Nvidia
> drivers (switches to 60 first, then to 85, making my CRT click as
> crazy :-)

First and foremost, are you setting the refresh rates, AA, vertical sync
in the windows settings. I'm not 100% certain but if you set those it
should override any other setting.

Don't set the refresh rate to high, if you change to a higher resolution
the monitor simply wont accept it and may default back to the factory
setting.

--
AGHL Newsgroup and IRC FAQ: www.stri.tk

"By the powers invested in my by news international I
pronounce you GUILTY! - of paedophilia!"
"Guilty?! but there was no trial!"
"Under the basic principals of English law every man is
innocent until speculated guilty!"
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:39:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Try Gamma Panel: http://www.stars.benchmark.pl/index.php?show=gapa

Who sez Poles are dumb?

Works well, minimal "footprint".

!