Which card to buy? ATI vs Nvidia

I want to know which card to buy among the following two.

ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
or
BFG Nvidia 6800 OC (@ 350/700) 128mb

Kiran Kumar Kamineni wrote:

> I want to know which card to buy among the following two.
>
> ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
> or
> BFG Nvidia 6800 OC (@ 350/700) 128mb

Unless you absolutely _need_ hardware accelerated HD WMV or have some
specialized requirement that will benefit more from 256 MB RAM than from a
significantly faster GPU go with the 6800. It's near the top of the
current generation, the 9800 is the previous generation.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kiran Kumar Kamineni" <kkumar@hp.com> wrote in message
>I want to know which card to buy among the following two.
>
> ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
> or
> BFG Nvidia 6800 OC (@ 350/700) 128mb

you should be comparing the ATI X800 series with the 6800 stuff. The 9800
is the previous
generation and while not a bad card at all, it's not in the same league as
the 6800.

J. Clarke wrote:
> Kiran Kumar Kamineni wrote:
>

>>I want to know which card to buy among the following two.
>>
>>ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
>> or
>>BFG Nvidia 6800 OC (@ 350/700) 128mb
>

> Unless you absolutely _need_ hardware accelerated HD WMV or have some
> specialized requirement that will benefit more from 256 MB RAM than from a
> significantly faster GPU go with the 6800. It's near the top of the
> current generation, the 9800 is the previous generation.

Doesn't the VP in the 6800 have accelerated decoding for generic MPEG4,
WM9, etc? I know several people in the Ars forums and Nvnews have
talked about decoding HD material (VP % usage and such), so I assumed
that meant WM9 encoded HD movies also.

deimos wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Kiran Kumar Kamineni wrote:
>>

>>>I want to know which card to buy among the following two.
>>>
>>>ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
>>> or
>>>BFG Nvidia 6800 OC (@ 350/700) 128mb
>>

>> Unless you absolutely _need_ hardware accelerated HD WMV or have some
>> specialized requirement that will benefit more from 256 MB RAM than from
>> significantly faster GPU go with the 6800. It's near the top of the
>> current generation, the 9800 is the previous generation.
>>

> Doesn't the VP in the 6800 have accelerated decoding for generic MPEG4,
> WM9, etc? I know several people in the Ars forums and Nvnews have
> talked about decoding HD material (VP % usage and such), so I assumed
> that meant WM9 encoded HD movies also.

There's a known issue with high definition WMV with the 6800. Not a problem
with MPEG. It works as long as you've got enough CPU power, it's just not
accelerated so utilization goes higher than for other encodings.