Changing Computer Name

I’m setting up a network so two XP machines can share files and a
single printer. During the setup process I noticed that both
computer’s names are a bunch of gibberish, i.e. my laptop’s name is
gateway-rds5k7q.

I would like to change the names of both the laptop and desktop to
something less “cryptic”. My question is, would changing a computer’s
name be a radical enough of a change to make XP flip out and require a
reactivation?

Thanks,
DW

Remove "spam" from address to email
1 answer Last reply
More about changing computer name

    "DWhitley" <dewhitleyspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm setting up a network so two XP machines can share files and a
    > single printer. During the setup process I noticed that both
    > computer's names are a bunch of gibberish, i.e. my laptop's name is
    > gateway-rds5k7q.
    >
    > I would like to change the names of both the laptop and desktop to
    > something less "cryptic". My question is, would changing a computer's
    > name be a radical enough of a change to make XP flip out and require a
    > reactivation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > DW
    >
    > Remove "spam" from address to email

    No. The names that you see for your computers were assigned by XP by default
    because you didn't name them yourself. To change them is an exercise as
    simple as entering "View System Information" in My Computer and clicking on
    the Tab "Computer Name" in the subsequent System Properties Dialog. After
    clicking on "Change" you'll get a new dialog which will show you the current
    computer name and an invitation to change it. Be my guest! Denzil.

Gateway Computer Windows XP Computers