Firefox 6.0 Officially Released: Download Links Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I hate to see mozilla tripping over its own feet trying to keep up with chrome and ie9; I feel like they are going in the wrong direction trying to develop an os/platform.

I suppose feature bloat is a natural course software developers take, however, in trying to add value they alienate their user base, and hurt the performance/usage that likely made them a viable choice to begin with.

I find myself using chrome and ie9 more, and more.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
What's funny is that you can just update to version 6 right through Firefox. Just hit the orange Firefox button, Help, About Firefox and it will automatically update you.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]krazynutz[/nom]What's funny is that you can just update to version 6 right through Firefox. Just hit the orange Firefox button, Help, About Firefox and it will automatically update you.[/citation]

unfortunately if you want 64bit version, you have to update it manually...

also I think the 64bit link in Tom's is for Linux...I don't see any executable file in there....

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I've become a Chrome Junkie. It's simple and straight-forwrd on the outside, while having great security and features in the background.

Some stuff you don't need to see or even know about. What matters is that it's secure, compatible and accessible.

Chrome and even IE9 (shocking, I know) do this. Firefox 5+ seems more clunky IMO. They need to get more basic on the UI side of things.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Firefox 5+ seems more clunky IMO. They need to get more basic on the UI side of things.

No thank you. FF did enough BS dumbing down its UI Chrome-style... if FF 6 doesn't let me re-adjust the UI back to 3.6 style, I'll dump it. About to find out... FF 6 is supposed to use less RAM, lol - let's see.

i switched over to opera last year after using firefox 4 beat and found it was slow on some of the web pages i frequent and they were still slow after upgrading to the final version. i just like opera more for its speed dial feature and skins. i have no problem with chrome or firefox but IE still sucks the big one

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
With all of this talk about Chrome and Firefox losing it's way I was concerned, but not converted, AT ALL. I just installed Firefox 6.0 64 bit and all I have to say is HOLY S**T, BATMAN! This thing is Beastly! From the first page I loaded, I immediately notice how much faster it is. Click - Pop - and the page is there. I visit Tom's a few times a day and it is always painfully slow to load. I wish I had timed it before and after but now Tom's Hardware Guide comes up so quick I think that somehow Mozilla slipped in a SSD when I downloaded the update.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
What is with these recent rapid-release versions of Firefox? They've gotten as bad a Chrome has. This rate next year, we'll be at FF 12 and Chrome 19. Not stifling creativity or progression here, but the "our browser is at a higher number than yours" is stupid.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Nobody complains when Windows or Nvidia updates every month.
Those hard working people at Mozilla are serving up the goods fresh baked from the oven. And they are not half-baked either.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]JoeMomma[/nom]Nobody complains when Windows or Nvidia updates every month.Those hard working people at Mozilla are serving up the goods fresh baked from the oven. And they are not half-baked either.[/citation]
This: They were on the unstable, buggy 3.5 way too long. I am glad they are pushing development faster... Version 4+ has been much more stable... And improving... I have gone away from Chrome at work. Only use Chome on my netbook now.

Chrome for work.
Opera for general browsing.
IE when all else fails.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Version inflation...excellent! Software development "stimulus" at its best. If we can't make it better, we'll just inflate the numbers to compete.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I don't fight over what browser people prefer.
To each her own - More power to you.
But I find the browser wars much like the iTunes vs. Winamp debate.
I use them both, But like Winamp I find Firefox a little tougher to learn but if you dig beneath the surface one can customize it to your liking. I am Old Skool. I want to see all the menus, but I hate having toolbars taking up the screen where my webpage should be.

I may not be fluent in customizing Chrome, IE, Opera, etc. but I do not like the minimalist easy user interfaces. My Firefox 6.0 looks just like my Firefox 3.6, but is running much faster. I only see 4 small rows above my webpages: The File Menu, Tabs, Buttons - URL - Search, and 1 toolbar. One extension I recommend is 'Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar'. Next to the URL is a tiny icon, you can drag it onto the Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar, when you mouse-over the icon the full description is displayed. By using the tiny icons a TON of bookmarks can be on display at all times.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
So... its offical... FireFox has out Chromed, Chrome?

It was already lame for Google to come out with "12" versions of Chrome in 2 years or so (Realistically, Chrome is actually version 2.x). FF is also REALLY 4.1 (aka 5.0).

Opera is version 11.5 - they spent 15 years getting there... with more great changes to the browser that is NOTICEABLE bewteen 11.0, 11.1, 11.5.

Chrome 12 looks like Chrome 1... FF... has gone nuts. Both of them are not as good as Opera in terms of usage.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hmm, I appreciate that FF6 didn't reverse the UI to Chrome-style... and all addons/plugins work save Java Console... and RAM print is still at 230MB with 5 tabs open. Looks good, so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.