Notebook as monitor for desktop pc?

Hi

Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.

Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so, how?
I think this would a great feature to have.

Cheers
Sharp
8 answers Last reply
More about notebook monitor desktop

    I demand that on Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:16:05 +0000, Sharp may or may not
    have written:

    > Hi
    >
    > Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.
    >
    > Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so, how?
    > I think this would a great feature to have.

    Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
    laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

    > have written:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so,
    how?
    > > I think this would a great feature to have.
    >
    > Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
    > laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.

    Yes, but that would not give me the power of a desktop PC, which is what I
    am after. With a Video-in notebook I can buy a cheaper notebook, and use it
    mobile and also as a desktop monitor connected to a more powerful powerful
    at home offfice.

    Without this setup, I may as well sell everything and get a desktop
    replacement notebook, which will cost a bit.

    cheers
    Sharp

    Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.

    Else I would've bought the new iMac already for this purpose. PC/MAC, 1
    setup ^^ SCHWEET!

    "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:9pjld.34690$K7.12755@news-server.bigpond.net.au ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Bronney Hui wrote:

    > Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.

    If you're running a Unix variant, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Server or
    later, then you can the laptop as a thin client.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > Bronney Hui wrote:
    >
    > > Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.
    >
    > If you're running a Unix variant, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Server or
    > later, then you can the laptop as a thin client.

    What the hell does that mean?

    Sharp

    Sharp wrote:
    >>have written:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so,
    >
    > how?
    >
    >>>I think this would a great feature to have.
    >>
    >>Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
    >>laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.
    >

    > Yes, but that would not give me the power of a desktop PC, which is what I
    > am after. With a Video-in notebook I can buy a cheaper notebook, and use it
    > mobile and also as a desktop monitor connected to a more powerful powerful
    > at home offfice.
    >
    > Without this setup, I may as well sell everything and get a desktop
    > replacement notebook, which will cost a bit.
    >
    > cheers
    > Sharp

    I don't understand your logic. Why would you be able to buy a cheaper
    notebook if it had video in? And a cheap notebook will have a poor LCD
    and won't fit the desktop very well, the keyboard sitting out front. And
    good CRT monitors can be purchased for less than $200, so what is the
    big deal?

    jimbo

    Sharp wrote:

    >> Bronney Hui wrote:
    >>
    >> > Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.
    >>
    >> If you're running a Unix variant, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Server or
    >> later, then you can the laptop as a thin client.
    >
    > What the hell does that mean?

    If you're running one of the Windows variants I listed on your desktop, you
    can use Terminal Services to run applications on the desktop using your
    laptop. If you're running Unix you can run an X server on your laptop and
    run applications on the desktop via the X client that is running there.

    You can also use VNC for this purpose under a number of operating systems.

    In each case you're using the laptop as a display for the other machine. I
    don't recommend it for playing DirectX or OpenGL games, but it's fine for
    many purposes.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    This is really a response to Sharp's post, that hasn't appeared yet on my
    server, so I'm replying to jimbo's instead.

    jimbo wrote:

    > Sharp wrote:
    >>>have written:

    >> how?

    >>>Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
    >>>laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.
    >>

    >> Yes, but that would not give me the power of a desktop PC, which is what
    >> I am after. With a Video-in notebook I can buy a cheaper notebook, and
    >> use it mobile and also as a desktop monitor connected to a more powerful
    >> powerful at home offfice.

    With video-in you're going to be unhappy with the results. You'll be
    limited to NTSC/PAL/SECAM resolutions, which while there are differences
    between them are all pretty dismal compared to what you normall expect of a
    computer monitor.

    What I think you're really looking for is a notebook with VGA or DVI inputs
    and that's not likely to happen for a variety of reasons.

    >> Without this setup, I may as well sell everything and get a desktop
    >> replacement notebook, which will cost a bit.

    Not sure where you are, but in the US Best Buy has Athlon-64 notebooks with
    Radeon 9600 video on the shelf for $1300. That's adequate power for most
    purposes and you're not going to find a notebook with video-in for less.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Nvidia Notebooks Desktops Monitors Graphics