128Mb or 256Mb ? for graphics...

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card, but I can't decide if or not to
go for a 256Mb model. Is the memory important, or is 128Mb considered
'enough' ? I am looking at a

Nvidia 5700 (256Mb),

Radeon 9600 (256Mb) or

Radeon 9800 (128Mb).

I'd like a 9800 with 256Mb of course, but cannot afford such a beast !

Should I go for the card with more memory or is 128 adequate for most games?
Anyone care to comment please ?

Steve

"Steve" <steve3946740@mail2me.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card, but I can't decide if or not
> to go for a 256Mb model. Is the memory important, or is 128Mb considered
> 'enough' ? I am looking at a
>
> Nvidia 5700 (256Mb),
>
> Radeon 9600 (256Mb) or
>
> Radeon 9800 (128Mb).
>
> I'd like a 9800 with 256Mb of course, but cannot afford such a beast !
>
> Should I go for the card with more memory or is 128 adequate for most
> games? Anyone care to comment please ?

After plenty of research, I just tried an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB) and
then an nVidia 6800GT (128MB). General opinion seems to be that the extra
128MB of memory makes very little difference, and is not worth going for
unless the price difference is small. In my specific case, I found the
nVidia card beat the ATI card, despite having only half the memory and a
cheaper cost. It is other factors on the card that are more important.
There are some websites that show the relevant factors for cards in a
data-filled table. Unfortunately I lost the link to a good one of these,
but perhaps someone else has this...

Ben C wrote:
> "Steve" <steve3946740@mail2me.com> wrote in message
>> I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card, but I can't decide if or
>> not to go for a 256Mb model. Is the memory important, or is 128Mb
>> considered 'enough' ? I am looking at a
>>
>> Nvidia 5700 (256Mb),
>>
>> Radeon 9600 (256Mb) or
>>
>> Radeon 9800 (128Mb).
>>
>> I'd like a 9800 with 256Mb of course, but cannot afford such a beast
>> ! Should I go for the card with more memory or is 128 adequate for most
>> games? Anyone care to comment please ?
>
> After plenty of research, I just tried an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB)
> and then an nVidia 6800GT (128MB). General opinion seems to be that
> the extra 128MB of memory makes very little difference, and is not
> worth going for unless the price difference is small. In my specific
> case, I found the nVidia card beat the ATI card, despite having only
> half the memory and a cheaper cost. It is other factors on the card
> that are more important. There are some websites that show the
> relevant factors for cards in a data-filled table. Unfortunately I
> lost the link to a good one of these, but perhaps someone else has
> this...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

Matt

--
The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
Gamertag: GLY7CH

GLYTCH wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>> "Steve" <steve3946740@mail2me.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card, but I can't decide if or
>>> not to go for a 256Mb model. Is the memory important, or is 128Mb
>>> considered 'enough' ? I am looking at a
>>>
>>> Nvidia 5700 (256Mb),
>>>
>>> Radeon 9600 (256Mb) or
>>>
>>> Radeon 9800 (128Mb).
>>>
>>> I'd like a 9800 with 256Mb of course, but cannot afford such a beast
>>> ! Should I go for the card with more memory or is 128 adequate for
>>> most games? Anyone care to comment please ?
>>
>> After plenty of research, I just tried an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB)
>> and then an nVidia 6800GT (128MB). General opinion seems to be that
>> the extra 128MB of memory makes very little difference, and is not
>> worth going for unless the price difference is small. In my specific
>> case, I found the nVidia card beat the ATI card, despite having only
>> half the memory and a cheaper cost. It is other factors on the card
>> that are more important. There are some websites that show the
>> relevant factors for cards in a data-filled table. Unfortunately I
>> lost the link to a good one of these, but perhaps someone else has
>> this...
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
>
> Matt

This one is also usefull for buyers
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041110/index.html

Matt

--
The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
Gamertag: GLY7CH
Live Games: Amped 2 | Halo 2 | Links | MotoGP 2 | Ninja Gaiden | PGR2 |
Rallisport 2 | SC: PT | Top Spin

> It would have been useful to know which card you think is the best! Are we
> supposed to be mind-readers?

The tomshardware link WAS posted- Says it all.

(6800GT owner here btw)

"RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> For one thing.. ALL 6800GTs have 256MB of memory, so that information was
> incorrect.

Not for sure:

ASUS V9999 GT 128MB DDR3 RAM

Expert

According to Evga tech, they use 256MB on their cards so that they can lower
the memory latencies, therefore increasing the speed of the memory. It has
something to do with the chip density.

"RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> wrote in message
> For one thing.. ALL 6800GTs have 256MB of memory, so that information was
> incorrect. A 6800GT will be at least twice as fast as a 9800 Pro. At
> least. It's also twice the price. :D

Mine doesn't. It only has 128MB. I'm looking at the box now...

>After plenty of research, I just tried an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB) and
>then an nVidia 6800GT (128MB). General opinion seems to be that the extra
>128MB of memory makes very little difference, and is not worth going for
>unless the price difference is small. In my specific case, I found the
>nVidia card beat the ATI card, despite having only half the memory and a
>cheaper cost. It is other factors on the card that are more important.

That comparison doesn't mean much when talking about the
memory size. The Radeon 9800 is a generation behind the Nvidia 6800GT,
so it's no wonder it beat the 9800. Even if the 6800GT only had 64MB,
it would still beat the 9800.