V9999 giving spectacular results

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2004 7:44:25 PM

As some of you may know I've been bugging everyone with all kinds of
questions in an attempt to get some sort of acceptable playability from my
system. I upgraded my GPU to a real dud (FX5700LE) and then went and got the
Asus V9999 and some Geil 512MByte dual channel sticks to put on an Abit
NF7S2 mobo w/AMD 2800+ Barton.

I couldn't seem to get any joy at all out of the damn thing, what with
spontaneous re-boots freezes and all sorts of unhappy performance issues. I
was actually ready to put my old Ti4200 8X back in!

Then I tried the Asus drivers that came with the board and followed the
instructions of a couple of the guys in here in an attempt to get something
happening. Finally I got the system to work decently so I could play Doom3
at "High" settings at 1024 X 768 w/no AA, for which I am eternally grateful
because of the help in here.

Now the REALLY weird part. I went to the Asus site and downloaded their
62.11 enhanced drivers to upgrade the 61.21s that came on the included CD.
AquaMark3 scores decreased from a little over 30,000 to a little over
28,000, performance went down a little and SmartDoctor stopped working. I
was a little despondent but decided to try to go back to the 61.21s to see
if things would improve. I used DriverCleaner, installed the drivers and
held off on SmartDoctor.

I loaded up Doom3 and couldn't believe how smooth It ran! Just to push my
luck, I upped the screen resolution to 1152 X 864 X 32, turned on 2X
anti-aliasing and upped the system setting from high to ultra high. When I
reloaded the game I expected to see a stuttering slide-show, but to my
amazement it ran like a champ with framerates at 25-60 fps, (depending on
the action) and super nice graphics! I'm almost afraid to re-boot the damn
PC for fear I'll lose this magical performance. AquaMark3 scores are only
back up to a little over 30,000 which seems low compared to some I see in
here, but I'm not bitchin' as long as it runs like this!

Sorry to go on and on, but I just had to tell somebody! Next I'm gonna try
Far Cry and see if the performance gods are still living in this PC.

dvus
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 3:27:27 AM

What CPU is this with?

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> As some of you may know I've been bugging everyone with all kinds of
> questions in an attempt to get some sort of acceptable playability from my
> system. I upgraded my GPU to a real dud (FX5700LE) and then went and got
> the Asus V9999 and some Geil 512MByte dual channel sticks to put on an
> Abit NF7S2 mobo w/AMD 2800+ Barton.
>
> I couldn't seem to get any joy at all out of the damn thing, what with
> spontaneous re-boots freezes and all sorts of unhappy performance issues.
> I was actually ready to put my old Ti4200 8X back in!
>
> Then I tried the Asus drivers that came with the board and followed the
> instructions of a couple of the guys in here in an attempt to get
> something happening. Finally I got the system to work decently so I could
> play Doom3 at "High" settings at 1024 X 768 w/no AA, for which I am
> eternally grateful because of the help in here.
>
> Now the REALLY weird part. I went to the Asus site and downloaded their
> 62.11 enhanced drivers to upgrade the 61.21s that came on the included CD.
> AquaMark3 scores decreased from a little over 30,000 to a little over
> 28,000, performance went down a little and SmartDoctor stopped working. I
> was a little despondent but decided to try to go back to the 61.21s to see
> if things would improve. I used DriverCleaner, installed the drivers and
> held off on SmartDoctor.
>
> I loaded up Doom3 and couldn't believe how smooth It ran! Just to push my
> luck, I upped the screen resolution to 1152 X 864 X 32, turned on 2X
> anti-aliasing and upped the system setting from high to ultra high. When I
> reloaded the game I expected to see a stuttering slide-show, but to my
> amazement it ran like a champ with framerates at 25-60 fps, (depending on
> the action) and super nice graphics! I'm almost afraid to re-boot the damn
> PC for fear I'll lose this magical performance. AquaMark3 scores are only
> back up to a little over 30,000 which seems low compared to some I see in
> here, but I'm not bitchin' as long as it runs like this!
>
> Sorry to go on and on, but I just had to tell somebody! Next I'm gonna try
> Far Cry and see if the performance gods are still living in this PC.
>
> dvus

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:28:59 AM

Pete D wrote:
> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>> As some of you may know I've been bugging everyone with all kinds of
>> questions in an attempt to get some sort of acceptable playability
>> from my system. I upgraded my GPU to a real dud (FX5700LE) and then
>> went and got the Asus V9999 and some Geil 512MByte dual channel
>> sticks to put on an Abit NF7S2 mobo w/AMD 2800+ Barton.
>>
>> I couldn't seem to get any joy at all out of the damn thing, what
>> with spontaneous re-boots freezes and all sorts of unhappy
>> performance issues. I was actually ready to put my old Ti4200 8X
>> back in! Then I tried the Asus drivers that came with the board and
>> followed
>> the instructions of a couple of the guys in here in an attempt to get
>> something happening. Finally I got the system to work decently so I
>> could play Doom3 at "High" settings at 1024 X 768 w/no AA, for which
>> I am eternally grateful because of the help in here.
>>
>> Now the REALLY weird part. I went to the Asus site and downloaded
>> their 62.11 enhanced drivers to upgrade the 61.21s that came on the
>> included CD. AquaMark3 scores decreased from a little over 30,000 to
>> a little over 28,000, performance went down a little and SmartDoctor
>> stopped working. I was a little despondent but decided to try to go
>> back to the 61.21s to see if things would improve. I used
>> DriverCleaner, installed the drivers and held off on SmartDoctor.
>>
>> I loaded up Doom3 and couldn't believe how smooth It ran! Just to
>> push my luck, I upped the screen resolution to 1152 X 864 X 32,
>> turned on 2X anti-aliasing and upped the system setting from high to
>> ultra high. When I reloaded the game I expected to see a stuttering
>> slide-show, but to my amazement it ran like a champ with framerates
>> at 25-60 fps, (depending on the action) and super nice graphics! I'm
>> almost afraid to re-boot the damn PC for fear I'll lose this magical
>> performance. AquaMark3 scores are only back up to a little over
>> 30,000 which seems low compared to some I see in here, but I'm not
>> bitchin' as long as it runs like this! Sorry to go on and on, but I just
>> had to tell somebody! Next I'm
>> gonna try Far Cry and see if the performance gods are still living
>> in this PC.

> What CPU is this with?

Sorry, I've given them so many times with all the questions I've asked I
thought everyone was as familiar with them as I. Can't imagine why everyone
isn't as concerned as I am with how my system works!

Anyhow, for those folks who may have forgotten:
AMD Athalon 2800+ (Barton) on Abit NF7 S2 (not NF7 S Ver 2.0)
2 X 512 MBytes Geil Dual Channel DDR
Asus V9999GE (FX6800 factory oc'd, modded to 16x1,6vp at 375,1025)
W.D. 120 Gig UIDE HDD.
Antec 550W PSU

As I contemplate all the possible combinations of hardware and varying
effects of bios, OS and TSRs, I begin to wonder how any of us get these damn
things working!

dvus
November 15, 2004 11:06:30 PM

>> What CPU is this with?
>
> Sorry, I've given them so many times with all the questions I've asked I
> thought everyone was as familiar with them as I. Can't imagine why
> everyone isn't as concerned as I am with how my system works!
>
> Anyhow, for those folks who may have forgotten:
> AMD Athalon 2800+ (Barton) on Abit NF7 S2 (not NF7 S Ver 2.0)
> 2 X 512 MBytes Geil Dual Channel DDR
> Asus V9999GE (FX6800 factory oc'd, modded to 16x1,6vp at 375,1025)
> W.D. 120 Gig UIDE HDD.
> Antec 550W PSU
>
> As I contemplate all the possible combinations of hardware and varying
> effects of bios, OS and TSRs, I begin to wonder how any of us get these
> damn things working!
>
> dvus

Apologies, you had posted your system specs, Aquamark of 30,000 is pretty
low with those settings on the V9999GE I would have thought, I am getting
just on 50,800 with a plain Leadtek 6800 and a 2.8Ghz P4 Northwood. That
said, I was playing around with my settings yesterday and went from 55fps in
D3 (1024x768, high and 2x AA) down to 46fps with I think the same settings
execpt that I had increased the clock settings, that will teach me to stuff
around with good settings.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 10:16:43 AM

Pete D wrote:
>>> What CPU is this with?
>>
>> Sorry, I've given them so many times with all the questions I've
>> asked I thought everyone was as familiar with them as I. Can't
>> imagine why everyone isn't as concerned as I am with how my system
>> works! Anyhow, for those folks who may have forgotten:
>> AMD Athalon 2800+ (Barton) on Abit NF7 S2 (not NF7 S Ver 2.0)
>> 2 X 512 MBytes Geil Dual Channel DDR
>> Asus V9999GE (FX6800 factory oc'd, modded to 16x1,6vp at 375,1025)
>> W.D. 120 Gig UIDE HDD.
>> Antec 550W PSU
>>
>> As I contemplate all the possible combinations of hardware and
>> varying effects of bios, OS and TSRs, I begin to wonder how any of
>> us get these damn things working!
>
> Apologies, you had posted your system specs, Aquamark of 30,000 is

I was just kidding, I don't really expect anyone to care about one system
out of so many.

> pretty low with those settings on the V9999GE I would have thought, I
> am getting just on 50,800 with a plain Leadtek 6800 and a 2.8Ghz P4

I thought as much, but I'm not sure what to try next, if anything. D3 plays
pretty well as does Far Cry, if HL2 runs ok I really have no reason to screw
around, except for the fun of it, of course. It's also possible the AquaMark
bench likes your Intel system for some reason. I'm listed as running at
2.08GHz, which puts me significantly slower than you mathematically. I know
AMD scoffs at MHz comparisons, but I would too if mine were always the lower
numbers.

> Northwood. That said, I was playing around with my settings yesterday
> and went from 55fps in D3 (1024x768, high and 2x AA) down to 46fps
> with I think the same settings execpt that I had increased the clock
> settings, that will teach me to stuff around with good settings.

Y'know, I read somewhere that D3 didn't "like" overclocked setups, but it's
not clear how doing so would adversely effect performance. Does oc'd
hardware exhibit some sort of unsyncronized behavior or something, or is
there something about the altered drivers that could be a problem?

dvus
!